View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Like scratching an itch you didn't even know you had...

...or satisfying a craving you thought you had left behind long ago.
I started to re-read TGS last night. Not my favorite of the series, which is probably why I am less than completely familiar with it. I anticipate a fruitful re-read, and it's off to a great start. In any case, a little light bulb went on in my head while reading the prologue, and I thought this noob would seek a little redemption:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Noobs you may call us terez, but you are mistaken in thinking Demandred didn't compete for the title dragon. One of the forsaken thinks of it, I'm trying to find the quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
No, I am not mistaken.

You won't find it. The quotes you gave are common knowledge and don't have anything to do with what you claimed. 'Dragon' was not a title but rather a name given to Lews Therin by the people, much like the Forsaken were given their names.
At long last, I once again found the quote I was thinking of. Ahem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS, Prologue
What was that blasted man up to? She'd have traded all of her knowledge of Mesaana's and Aran'gar's doings for even a hint of Demandred's plans. He stood there, handsome and hawk-nosed, his lips drawn in perpetual anger. Demandred never smiled, never seemed to enjoy anything. Though he was one of the foremost generals among the Chosen, warfare had never seemed to bring him joy. Once she had heard him say that he would laugh the day he could snap the neck of Lews Therin. And only then.

He was a fool to bear that grudge. To think he might have been on the other sideŚmight have become the Dragon himself, had things turned out differently. Still, fool or not, he was extremely dangerous, and Graendal did not like being ignorant of his plans. Where had he set up? Demandred liked having armies to command, but there were none left moving in the world.
People may press the issue, however conclusive this quote may be. So, I'll reiterate some of my key points:
Quote:
just because the dragon was predetermined, does not mean he wasn't also given the title. He could have been predetermined to be the one chosen as the dragon.
Quote:
They could have just as easily called him the lion, or the bear or whatever. Again, I do not think we have the evidence to definitively say no.

Anyway that wasn't really my point. If the soul that is reborn through the ages to save mankind from the shadow is the dragon, great. The dragon reborn gains the name from fulfilling prophecies and being the prophesised reincarnation of the previous dragon. But in the second age, not only did they not know of the existence of the soul, they also had no name for it. So their naming ltt the dragon was original. And if dragon was a military title, why not name the soul after it?
And I have never supported the idea that there were actual dragons running around. I didn't think I even implied it. But Marie seemed to think I did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
There are no dragons. There was an association made by the people between the creature shown on Lews Therin's banner and the name "dragon"
...so I thought I'd clarify. All too often I don't present my positions in a clear manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiramon View Post
Burn me, the why is obvious - because any discussion of what he is called would drag . . .

oh, never mind.
You, sir, are a prophet.