View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Aisling Noon (who is, incidentally, a Tinker) and Nianh have not been seen in the Tower so far as we know. Why would they vanish without a trace? Were they removed by the Black Ajah? Is Tenobia's advisor suspect because she did not vanish without a trace? Why would Tenobia not suspect when Memara was sent rather than her own advisor, and when the other advisors did not return?
I don't know what happened to Nianh, but Aisling did make it back to the White Tower. And then she must have been sent on the expedition with Toveine and the others to the Black Tower, because the next time we see her is at Algarin's manor and she is bonded to one of Logain's Asha'man:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Knife of Dreams
CHAPTER: 20 - The Golden Crane

Outside, not far from the house, she could see a pair of those black-coated Asha'man, and the sisters bonded to them. She had avoided that whole lot as much as possible - the Asha'man for obvious reasons, the sisters because they supported Elaida - yet you could not spend time in the same house with people, even a house as large and rambling as Algarin's, and avoid coming to recognize them. Arel Malevin was a Cairhienin who seemed even wider than he actually was because he stood barely chest-high to Lan, Donalo Sandomere a Tairen with a garnet in his left ear and his gray-streaked beard trimmed to a point and oiled, although she doubted very much that his creased, leathery face belonged to a noble. Malevin had bonded Aisling Noon, a fierce-eyed Green who peppered her speech with Borderland oaths that sometimes made Lan wince. Nynaeve wished she understood them, but he refused to explain. Sandomere's captive was Ayako Norsoni, a diminutive White with wavy waist-length black hair who was nearly as brown-skinned as a Domani. She seemed shy, a rarity among Aes Sedai. Both women wore their fringed shawls. The captives almost always did, perhaps as gestures of defiance. But then, they seemed to get on strangely well with the men. Often Nynaeve had seen them chatting companionably, hardly the behavior of defiant prisoners. And she suspected that Logain and Gabrelle were not the only pair sharing a bed outside wedlock. It was disgraceful!
As far as why Memara was sent to Tenobia, I got the impression that Tenobia did not have an Aes Sedai advisor. From one of the quotes that you gave previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Fires of Heaven
CHAPTER: Prologue - The First Sparks Fall

Apparently Alviarin experienced no such reluctance. One corner of her mouth quirked momentarily in what might have been smile or grimace. "I will redouble our efforts to retake Taim. And I suggest that a sister be dispatched to counsel Tenobia. Someone used to overcoming the sort of resistance that young woman will put up."

Others rushed to help fill the silence.

Joline shifted her green-fringed shawl on slender shoulders and smiled, though it seemed a bit forced. "Yes. She needs an Aes Sedai at her shoulder. Someone able to handle Bashere. He has excessive influence with Tenobia. He must move his army back where it can be used if the Blight wakes up." Too much bosom showed in the gap of her shawl, and her pale green silk was too snug, too clinging. And she smiled too much for Elaida's liking. Especially at men. Greens always did.
On the other hand, another of the quotes you gave from Ethenielle sort of makes it sound like all the Borderlanders had Aes Sedai advisors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Path of Daggers
PROLOGUE - Deceptive Appearances

A word caught Ethenielle's ear and jerked her upright in her saddle. She should have been paying attention; too much was at stake. "Aes Sedai?" she said sharply. "What about Aes Sedai?" Save for Paitar's, their White Tower advisors had all left at news of the troubles in the Tower, her own Nianh and Easar's Aisling vanishing without a trace. If Aes Sedai had gained a hint of their plans . . . Well, Aes Sedai always had plans of their own. Always. She would dislike discovering that she was putting her hands into two hornet nests, not just one.
But Ethenielle only mentions her advisor along with Paitar's and Easar's, not Tenobia's - so I suspect that Tenobia did not have one. And there's no other mention of any Aes Sedai advisor for Tenobia that I could find. Ethenielle also thought that Tenobia only wanted advice from soldiers, perhaps also hinting at her lack of an Aes Sedai advisor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Path of Daggers
PROLOGUE - Deceptive Appearances

"Turn back?" a young woman's high voice demanded behind her. Tenobia of Saldaea galloped into the gathering, drawing her white gelding up so that he reared flamboyantly. Thick lines of pearls marched down the dark gray sleeves of her narrow-skirted riding habit, while red-and-gold embroidery swirled thickly to emphasize the narrowness of her waist and the roundness of her bosom. Tall for a woman, she managed to be pretty if not beautiful despite a nose that was overbold at best. Large tilted eyes of a dark deep blue certainly helped, but so did a confidence in herself so strong that she seemed to glow with it. As expected, the Queen of Saldaea was accompanied only by Kalyan Ramsin, one of her numerous uncles, a scarred and grizzled man with the face of an eagle and thick mustaches that curved down around his mouth. Tenobia Kazadi tolerated the counsel of soldiers, but no one else. "I will not turn back," she went on fiercely, "whatever the rest of you do. I sent my dear Uncle Davram to bring me the head of the false Dragon Mazrim Taim, and now he and Taim both follow this al'Thor, if I can believe half what I hear. I have close to fifty thousand men behind me, and whatever you decide, I will not turn back until my uncle and al'Thor learn exactly who rules Saldaea."

Quote:
4. Javindhra might still be Black, as she was gone from the Tower when the purge happened, at the Black Tower with Pevara. Javindhra was suspect partly for the same reasons as Evanellein; she showed some amount of satisfaction at the idea that the truth about Elaida's mishaps (with Dumai's Wells and the Black Tower) would come out, and Javindhra has a reputation for being Elaida's lapdog. She also has knowledge of the Red sister that was being Compelled by Rahvin to report what he wished to the Tower; Rahvin says that those who served the Chosen in the Tower had told him right where to find her.
Egwene did list off all the Black Sitters known to Verin, though, including Duhara, who was also out of the Tower at the time of the purge. Javindhra's behavior has always seemed kind of suspicious, though, so if she really is Black then she's one of the few that Verin missed.

Quote:
Are the sisters with the Borderlanders those sent by Siuan, or those sent by Alviarin? All indication is that Tenobia's Aes Sedai did not join her until they left; Coladara's visitors, on the other hand, were presumably there as the plans were being made.
The other reason that it makes sense that they're the ones sent by Siuan is that they didn't want to be known by Memara. Siuan presumably chose sisters that she trusted with the task of hunting down Taim, so they would be loyal to her rather than to Elaida.