art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Just my 2 cents, but when you think "Dragon" as part of a title, that usually leads one to believe that the person was involved in warfare, and since the War of Power was the first actual war in who knows how many years, it does lend some credance to what the Unreasoner is saying. You do not get called "The Dragon" during times of peace.

I do have a question, or rather a couple of related ones.
1. Did dragons ever exist in the world of WOT?
If not, then my second one is;
2. How did the people come up with the name "dragon" to bestow upon LTT? Not to mention his banner.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Youngling

frenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud of

These people had no concept of war, but they have a title lined up for the War Leader? No, it was peoples memories of storied Dragons that caused them to name LTT the Dragon.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

They could have just as easily called him the lion, or the bear or whatever. Again, I do not think we have the evidence to definitively say no.

Anyway that wasn't really my point. If the soul that is reborn through the ages to save mankind from the shadow is the dragon, great. The dragon reborn gains the name from fulfilling prophecies and being the prophesised reincarnation of the previous dragon. But in the second age, not only did they not know of the existence of the soul, they also had no name for it. So their naming ltt the dragon was original. And if dragon was a military title, why not name the soul after it?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnssss View Post
From our point of view, yes, obviously it's more cut and dry.
However, it's not always about what we knew but what the characters believe. It does not seem to be the point of view taken by most of the Forsaken nor does it seem to be the point of view taken by Taim when we first met him.
I have no doubt that Demandred believes that without LTT's luck, he would of been the Dragon, something supported by Messana's POV in LoC, regardless of what the reality is.
He believes that he would (should) have been the leader. But that doesn't mean that he believes that he should have been the Dragon.

Compare it to Great Britain in the 1980s: a number of people there were vying for the position of leader of the country, one of them, Margaret Thatcher, called the Iron Lady, got it. If another* had won the elections, then he would have been Prime Minister, but he wouldn't have been the Iron Lady.

* Can't remember which pillock was Labour leader at the time. The LibDems were theoretically also in the running, of course.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
* Can't remember which pillock was Labour leader at the time. The LibDems were theoretically also in the running, of course.
In 1979 when Thatcher was elected? I think not. The LibDems didn't come into existence until 1988 as a result of a merger of two other parties.

...what? No, I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. Except maybe this, like the Rand's superpowers thing, should be move to a seperate thread.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

No stupid Questions?

Ahem!

If the True Source provides the One Power and the Dark One provides the True Power wouldn't that somehow imply the the Dark one could be called the One Source?

True Source-----> One Power

One Source------> True Power?

Thank you.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
While I recognize you have put far more time into studying wot, your word alone does not constitute evidence.
It constitutes evidence far more than your word does. Instead of spamming the thread with your complaints - any further such posts will be deleted - find the quote or shut up about it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
No stupid Questions?

Ahem!

If the True Source provides the One Power and the Dark One provides the True Power wouldn't that somehow imply the the Dark one could be called the One Source?
No.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
No.
You could say the True Power has only one source, though. Unlike the OP which can be put into Wells.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Just my 2 cents, but when you think "Dragon" as part of a title, that usually leads one to believe that the person was involved in warfare, and since the War of Power was the first actual war in who knows how many years, it does lend some credance to what the Unreasoner is saying. You do not get called "The Dragon" during times of peace.

I do have a question, or rather a couple of related ones.
1. Did dragons ever exist in the world of WOT?
If not, then my second one is;
2. How did the people come up with the name "dragon" to bestow upon LTT? Not to mention his banner.
There are no dragons. There was an association made by the people between the creature shown on Lews Therin's banner and the name "dragon":

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Netherlands tour, Dromen and Demonen chat - 6 April 2001

Lowlander: Are there any dragons (like real dragons (=animals)) in Rand's world? If not where did they get the idea of dragons?

RJ: There are no animal dragons of any kind in this world. The people speak of a man called the Dragon. They know that the banner that has a certain creature on it was the banner of this man and they have taken to calling this creature the dragon. To them it is a simple association with the name of this man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
They could have just as easily called him the lion, or the bear or whatever. Again, I do not think we have the evidence to definitively say no.

Anyway that wasn't really my point. If the soul that is reborn through the ages to save mankind from the shadow is the dragon, great. The dragon reborn gains the name from fulfilling prophecies and being the prophesised reincarnation of the previous dragon. But in the second age, not only did they not know of the existence of the soul, they also had no name for it. So their naming ltt the dragon was original. And if dragon was a military title, why not name the soul after it?
See quote above.

Last edited by Marie Curie 7; 05-30-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

That partly answers my question, but there is still the matter of the origin of the creature on the banner and the "why" people began caling LTT the Dragon (wanted or not).
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Burn me, the why is obvious - because any discussion of what he is called would drag . . .

oh, never mind.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
That partly answers my question, but there is still the matter of the origin of the creature on the banner and the "why" people began caling LTT the Dragon (wanted or not).
I don't believe it's ever mentioned in the book.
However, since it's supposed to be a past/future earth, it may come from dragon myths in our own Age that made it into the Age of Legends.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 AM
Elder

I have a question - well, it's really two questions, but I'll get to that when it's answered, I think:

When exactly did the Aiel move into the Waste?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No.
But....but...Awwwww.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I have a question - well, it's really two questions, but I'll get to that when it's answered, I think:

When exactly did the Aiel move into the Waste?
Not long after the Breaking ended; they wandered around for a few hundred years before that. Specifically, c. 80 AB. The Aes Sedai had already announced their plan to build Tar Valon but apparently hadn't started building it yet.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Elder

Quote:
Not long after the Breaking ended; they wandered around for a few hundred years before that. Specifically, c. 80 AB. The Aes Sedai had already announced their plan to build Tar Valon but apparently hadn't started building it yet.
Okay, so the second question: that would mean the scene in the animus where Rand's ancestor meets the AS in Rhuidean was simply written before RJ did the switch to Oath Rod-caused Agelessness, or is at actually set after the adoption of the first oath?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Okay, so the second question: that would mean the scene in the animus where Rand's ancestor meets the AS in Rhuidean was simply written before RJ did the switch to Oath Rod-caused Agelessness, or is at actually set after the adoption of the first oath?
Not necessarily. Rand's expectations of what a very old Aes Sedai should look like probably affected how he perceived them. Also, the Oath Rod isn't the only thing that produces an "ageless look;" many denizen's of arid climates acquire the same sort of "multiple facelifts" kind of agelessness that the Oath Rod causes.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Two possibilities: it may have happened before all three Oaths were routinely sworn, or those AS may not have been linked to the White Tower at all. Even during Hawkwing's time there were still AS in Seanchan, and we don't know when the last clusters in other parts of the world died out. All we know is that the WT tried very hard to stamp out rival AS in Randland.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

But I think he was saying that the problem is that they DO have the ageless face, not that they do not. In any case, there's no answer to that question. Start a thread about it if you like.