art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many horrible & awesome things you can do with small gateways that scouting and hit & run tactics is just the tip of the iceberg. Granted, many of those ideas also need decent knowledge of geography, geology, physics, chemistry, biology and a myriad of other sciences.

For instance a small gateway to the bottom of the ocean would have some interesting effects for whatever was staring into the other end. Or my preferred option of a gateway into hard vacuum...or an asteroid belt. "Where'd this mile-long, perfectly square bit of rock come from?" Or into low earth orbit directly above your enemy's position with a telephone pole worth of cuendillar at the other end.

They started with the super massive gateways to the heart of Dragonmount, but you don't need liquid hot magma or kinetic strikes to be destructive. How about a small gateway under an enemy encampment and the other end just under the surface of an ocean? Whoever woke up would be in a swamp as the local water table would become super-saturated...or create a massive sink hole. Or how about just connecting a large city's sewage system to your enemy's water supply? Or just a supply of methane gas.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough
Default Hindsighting is fun

Lol, but it is fun to hindsight .... Trollocs holed up in Caemlyn and won't budge; keep a holding force around the city; and instead of having Elayne twiddle her thumbs in Braem wood, Travel her Army to Kandor or Shienar to crush one of the shadow's armies.

Or Keep Ituralde's army and channelers napping while three battles rage across the land. When 1 gateway could have been decisive on another battle front.

Geeze, even with 400 sharans the Shadow had less dreadlords; the Ashaman in Arad Doman and Illian seem to have evaporated somewhere even after (The Seanchan fight the Shadow). Didn't Logain take hundreds to those two countries. Wise Ones, Windfinders, WTower, Ashaman, and damane could have easily fielded 2000 channelers The Shadow had less than half that number.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the Shadow could have evened out those numbers quite a bit if they had had the sense to actually use their 13 Myrddraal trick in an efficient way. Have some central place (somewhere in the Blight, perhaps) where you have stationed a few score of male and female channellers. Transport any channeller you catch there for treatment, and then use that new one as replacement of one of the ones that had been stationed there. Or, if you get a lot captives at a time, send a couple of dozen extra along to speed up the process.
Instead, they had male channellers waste lots of time converting other male channellers, and (presumably) females wasting time on other females.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Of course, the Shadow could have evened out those numbers quite a bit if they had had the sense to actually use their 13 Myrddraal trick in an efficient way. Have some central place (somewhere in the Blight, perhaps) where you have stationed a few score of male and female channellers. Transport any channeller you catch there for treatment, and then use that new one as replacement of one of the ones that had been stationed there. Or, if you get a lot captives at a time, send a couple of dozen extra along to speed up the process.
Instead, they had male channellers waste lots of time converting other male channellers, and (presumably) females wasting time on other females.
Or since ADVERSARY touched the True Power and his intentions are clear; and he cannot hide anything from ME, you would know that the main fight is at Shayul Gul; and all other fronts are secondary and a diversion; and can be won after the main battle. So, I would defend Shayul Gul with the majority of my forces while renting the world with bubbles of evil. ADVERSARY has no choice but come to the Blasted Land and face MY full might. And to make it interesting, I'd use the Sharans and Demandred with anyone who can travel through a waygate to wreck havoc on the Southern lands.

Oh and I have the seals brought to a secure location to avoid any pick-pocketing!