art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
The result was destroying the entire point of the Dorne plotline. Mind you the show has gotten significantly worse the last few seasons for an obvious reason - this is material that they had to completely fabricate as GRRM has been too lazy to bother writing any new material basically since the show began.
In GRRM's defence: he'd been too lazy to write new material for a couple of years before the start of the show too.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Either that, or all this is to encourage Littlefinger into thinking he can widen the rift, and Sansa plays along, till she undercuts him in the last minute and kills him off.

I have nothing to explain why I think this is coming, but there seems to be honest affection and respect in the Sansa-Jon alone scenes, but in public, she's a lot more antagonistic with him. I feel she's doing this for LF's benefit. She keeps looking at him in these scenes, and they keep cutting to his smirk in these scenes, as he sees these rifts. It seems like a setup.

She's playing the reluctant seductee who needs "rescue" by LF, and he seems to be wading into it, because he doesn't see that Sansa seems to genuinely love Jon, though I'm sure her frustrates her too.

And guess who's going to join Sansa soon: assassin extraordinaire Arya. Who better to kill LF, take on his face, and then basically deliver the Vale to Sansa?
This is my hopeful train of thought. While I actually enjoy Sansa, more for what I consider her potential rather than any actual thing she's done or any trait she has, I still worry that GRRM is edgy enough to have everyone just be selfish and bad except for the trio of Tyrion/Dany/Jon
Old 07-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
This is my hopeful train of thought. While I actually enjoy Sansa, more for what I consider her potential rather than any actual thing she's done or any trait she has, I still worry that GRRM is edgy enough to have everyone just be selfish and bad except for the trio of Tyrion/Dany/Jon
There was so much more depth and growth to the characters in the books than in the show. This was most obvious in the books with Sansa and Jaime, two characters that inspired little besides hate in the early books, then developed into far more noble characters. The show has largely abandoned this sort of character development.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I agree, I also feel the fault is partly Jon's for tossing out these ideas for the first time in public. Why not discuss it with your sister first, then call the meeting of the lords? By not talking this through, he's all but forcing Sansa to make her (usually reasonable) points in public. Either that, or she shuts up and watches yet another family member die of acute Honorrrrr! syndrome.
Regardless, you don't voice criticism of your manager (or king in this case) publicly. You do it in private and if he still disagrees, you shut up and follow orders. That's life regardless. If you really have an issue with said orders, you find another job (not really an option in Sansa's case but still).

Its not as if Jon can't come back the next day and say "I've thought about it and I'm altering the plan a bit, The Onion Knight is going as my Hand and I'll stay here to help prepare for the invasion".

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Regarding the Sand Snakes, I assume they only poison their weapons before a fight rather than constantly keeping them poisoned, so if they were (somehow) caught off guard by Euron's attack they probably would just jump into the fighting right away without applying poison first.

I agree Sansa's annoying. The books strongly imply she'll kill Littlefinger herself, so there's that at least. It also doesn't help that Sophie Turner's a terrible actress, IMO.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just knock Jorah out somehow, rather than basically skin the guy alive?

Also what's up with everyone dressing up like Matrix characters all of a sudden?
THIS...ONE MILLION TIMES THIS!!!

Why does she always look like she's constipated/stupid? And its not her characterization of Sansa either. She's exactly the same in the X Men movie she's in.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Regardless, you don't voice criticism of your manager (or king in this case) publicly. You do it in private and if he still disagrees, you shut up and follow orders. That's life regardless. If you really have an issue with said orders, you find another job (not really an option in Sansa's case but still).
I disagree here. As someone else pointed out, Jon apparently never ran all this by Sansa before announcing stuff publicly, leaving her with little other choice than either calling him out publicly or letting him do stupid stuff un-opposed.
Also, technically it's not like Sansa is 2nd in command or anything (at least not till he makes her so by the end of the thing). She's just one of his liege lords and ladies, just like all the others in attendance. The only reason she's sitting at the main table is because the meeting happens to be at her place.

My main gripe with the Euron/Yara fight isn't that they were caught off guard, but a bigger thing imo is: what the hell were all the Sand Snakes AND Olenna doing at Dragonstone? For both of them, it's pretty much on the other side of Westeros from their seats of power. Even going there would have beena huge risk, considering they'd all have to pretty much sail past King's Landing to get to Dragonstone...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
I disagree here. As someone else pointed out, Jon apparently never ran all this by Sansa before announcing stuff publicly, leaving her with little other choice than either calling him out publicly or letting him do stupid stuff un-opposed.
Also, technically it's not like Sansa is 2nd in command or anything (at least not till he makes her so by the end of the thing). She's just one of his liege lords and ladies, just like all the others in attendance. The only reason she's sitting at the main table is because the meeting happens to be at her place.

My main gripe with the Euron/Yara fight isn't that they were caught off guard, but a bigger thing imo is: what the hell were all the Sand Snakes AND Olenna doing at Dragonstone? For both of them, it's pretty much on the other side of Westeros from their seats of power. Even going there would have beena huge risk, considering they'd all have to pretty much sail past King's Landing to get to Dragonstone...
I disagree with your disagreement. She's a Stark as is he...they need to show a united front in public at all times to the non-Starks. Otherwise, it leads to issues with those outside lords & ladies. She can disagree all the time in private and I'm sure she would have had a chance to do so after the meeting when they're alone but in public, you gotta keep up appearances. If Sansa is undercutting him as Lady of Winterfell, it seriously weakens his position.

Remember, he might be king but its not a true autocracy. He depends on those people for his military force and all sorts of other things. He's really just a glorified first among equals when you come down to it. They gave him a crown and they can just as easily take it away.

On the Sand Snakes and Olenna...they used the same magical teleporter device that Littlefinger has had access to on the show. But its not truly the far side for them since they were last in Sunspear and they only had to sail around the Stormlands to get to Dragonstone. Up until Euron showed up, Cersei didn't have a navy anymore so the risk was pretty minimal to swear fealty to their new Queen. If they stay where they're at, they're divided and alone and Cersei/House Lannister could pick them off one by one.

I also imagine a good bit of time passed and they knew that Dany controlled those seas (or was at least between them and any potential force Cersei might try to send from King's Landing which amounts to the same thing) so there were no concerns for them to make the trip.

The more interesting question on travel times is how will they show the time it takes Jon & Ser Davos to travel from Winterfall to Dragonstone (a pretty substantial trip distance wise especially in winter) given that the previews show Jon there next episode. Figure that's got to be several weeks at a minimum of travel time.

Last edited by Davian93; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Regardless, you don't voice criticism of your manager (or king in this case) publicly. You do it in private and if he still disagrees, you shut up and follow orders.
This is bizarre. Since when was this the standard operating procedure for leaders and their advisors? In the other thread about Trump, you clearly do not hold to this standard. And Sansa is hardly the only one criticizing Jon's choice here. Yohn Royce, Glover, and even Lyanana Mormont do so. Why do you single out Sansa?

Further, even Ned very publicly disagreed with Robert over sending assassins to kill Danaerys. Was he wrong? Was he undermining the king? Should he have waited to talk this over in private?

And in this case, Sansa was given no opportunity to voice her opinion in private. That is Jon's own damned fault.

Quote:
That's life regardless. If you really have an issue with said orders, you find another job (not really an option in Sansa's case but still).
Sansa is not Jon's employee. She has no obligation to obey and never criticize him.

Quote:
Its not as if Jon can't come back the next day and say "I've thought about it and I'm altering the plan a bit, The Onion Knight is going as my Hand and I'll stay here to help prepare for the invasion".
It isn't like he couldn't have sounded out his closest allies first, either. The fault is Jon's, here.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is bizarre. Since when was this the standard operating procedure for leaders and their advisors? In the other thread about Trump, you clearly do not hold to this standard. And Sansa is hardly the only one criticizing Jon's choice here. Yohn Royce, Glover, and even Lyanana Mormont do so. Why do you single out Sansa?

Further, even Ned very publicly disagreed with Robert over sending assassins to kill Danaerys. Was he wrong? Was he undermining the king? Should he have waited to talk this over in private?

And in this case, Sansa was given no opportunity to voice her opinion in private. That is Jon's own damned fault.

Sansa is not Jon's employee. She has no obligation to obey and never criticize him.

It isn't like he couldn't have sounded out his closest allies first, either. The fault is Jon's, here.
I fault both of them. Sansa should be raising these issues with him in private so as to avoid undercutting his ability to effectively govern. Doing so after the fact would lessen her ability to effect policy, but she could have urged him after their first public spat that she didn't ever want to have to do that again, urged him to discuss major policy decisions in private with her first to avoid this. She should have stressed that she wasn't just another ordinary bannerman/bannerwoman. She was his most important vassal, and his sister. He needs to demonstrate trust in her, just as she needs to demonstrate trust in him. Either of them should have been able to recognize the need for this, but she's supposed to be the more clever politician. So why isn't she acting like it? He's supposed to be noble but dumb, just like dad. You expect him to suck at politics.

My other issue with her is tone. She could have raised her criticisms in a much more diplomatic way. In a way that served to gently push him to the decision that she wanted him to make without undercutting him in front of all his other vassals. That gets me to another major issue. Why the heck is he discussing sensitive decisions in front of so many underlings. He should have appointed a small council - Him, Sansa, Davos, Lady Mormont, Tormund (maybe one or two others, but those are the ones that I would definitely include). One thing to have these debates amongst a small group of select advisors. It should not happen out in the open in front of so many. All that accomplishes is undermining his command, something which hamstrung him earlier at the Wall. He should have learned from his mistakes there, but it certainly doesn't appear that he has.

Jon is a good man, but he is a bad leader.
Old Today, 03:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
He needs to demonstrate trust in her, just as she needs to demonstrate trust in him.
Trust?
I thought you were talking about GoT. What television show have you been watching?

Quote:
He should have learned from his mistakes there, but it certainly doesn't appear that he has.
GoT
Quote:
Jon is a good man, but he is a bad leader.
Admittedly, that doesn't sound like GoT; especially not the "good man" bit.
Old Today, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
My other issue with her is tone. She could have raised her criticisms in a much more diplomatic way. In a way that served to gently push him to the decision that she wanted him to make without undercutting him in front of all his other vassals. That gets me to another major issue. Why the heck is he discussing sensitive decisions in front of so many underlings. He should have appointed a small council - Him, Sansa, Davos, Lady Mormont, Tormund (maybe one or two others, but those are the ones that I would definitely include). One thing to have these debates amongst a small group of select advisors. It should not happen out in the open in front of so many. All that accomplishes is undermining his command, something which hamstrung him earlier at the Wall. He should have learned from his mistakes there, but it certainly doesn't appear that he has.
I agree on the not having a small council thing. Why doesn't he? Also, why not make Ser Davos his Hand...or one of the other major northern leaders? Having that debate would be totally normal if it was in front of a small council (like Ned arguing with Robert against killing Dany and Viserys). Its totally okay to disagree behind closed doors but its something that is stupid to do in front of all your people like he and Sansa are doing.

Old Today, 10:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I agree on the not having a small council thing. Why doesn't he? Also, why not make Ser Davos his Hand...or one of the other major northern leaders? Having that debate would be totally normal if it was in front of a small council (like Ned arguing with Robert against killing Dany and Viserys). Its totally okay to disagree behind closed doors but its something that is stupid to do in front of all your people like he and Sansa are doing.
Then again, if Sansa thinks that her only two options are "commit suicide by stupidly and silently following a leader who is making a huge mistake" and "raise a serious issue before it is too late", then she may think that speaking up is the lesser of two evils. She might even be right about that.
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Then again, if Sansa thinks that her only two options are "commit suicide by stupidly and silently following a leader who is making a huge mistake" and "raise a serious issue before it is too late", then she may think that speaking up is the lesser of two evils. She might even be right about that.
Sansa is never right about anything.

Old Today, 11:23 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Sansa is never right about anything.
Killing Ramsay Bolton?
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Killing Ramsay Bolton?
He should have been tortured first for a bit...getting eaten by his own dogs was a pretty quick death actually.

So, no, she's never right.

Old Today, 04:48 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Bah!

Hardly an evil to sacrifice oneself for their betters.