art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
For geeks. If you're going into the movie blind, and there's quite a few now that haven't seen the Original Trilogy, they've got no idea who she is.
Any real SW fan would know...if they aren't real fans like that, screw em.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
This was the first Death Star.

Many Bothans died getting the plans for the second Death Star.
I was hoping Ackbar would be in it but it was pretty cool to see his predecessor Admiral Raddus...and it was also cool to see a different race of Mon Calamari (he was from the arctic region so it was gray instead of orange like Ackbar who apparently is from a more temperate area of the planet).

Raddus was pretty awesome...not Ackbar awesome but still cool. A shame he dies (presumably Vader probably executes the entire crew of that cruiser as traitors)

Raddus had major balls..."Oh, you all aren't gonna attack and are just gonna run away? Well fuck that, I'm taking my fleet and attacking instead"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently based in part on Churchill.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
SP, as that guy, your job is to go be a Bothan.
Sorry, can't be a bothan, already a kitten.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

So can I just say that the difference between George Lucas and a real director couldn't have been more perfectly illustrated by the different Jedi Masters in combat (Yoda in Ep 2 vs Vader in RO) had they set out to make the point.

I can only imagine the pirouettes and backflips Lucas would have put in for Vader.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
So can I just say that the difference between George Lucas and a real director couldn't have been more perfectly illustrated by the different Jedi Masters in combat (Yoda in Ep 2 vs Vader in RO) had they set out to make the point.

I can only imagine the pirouettes and backflips Lucas would have put in for Vader.
Every time I watch any of the prequels, I realize just how awful they really are. In a lot of ways, Ep 2 is even worse than Phantom Menace...something that shouldn't be possible given just how awful Phantom Menace is.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Youngling

connabard is a jewel in the roughconnabard is a jewel in the roughconnabard is a jewel in the roughconnabard is a jewel in the rough

As someone who's not a big fan of any star wars movie so far I'm not sure how to gauge reactions to R1, I hate 1-3, although I like Obi-Wan v Anakin at the end of 3 not for the actual fight but I thought it was the only time Hayden Christensen wasn't the equivalent of a plank of wood and Ewan always brings it home, and while I can recognize how 4-6 were revolutionary and good, I only really enjoy 5. I thought 7 would be good if you'd never seen 4, because that movie seemed to me to be A New Hope 2.0

Is this movie good (assuming you liked it) because it's well-executed/written well/etc or is it good because it's Star Wars?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Sorry, can't be a bothan, already a kitten.
To can be both...
Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
As someone who's not a big fan of any star wars movie so far I'm not sure how to gauge reactions to R1, I hate 1-3, although I like Obi-Wan v Anakin at the end of 3 not for the actual fight but I thought it was the only time Hayden Christensen wasn't the equivalent of a plank of wood and Ewan always brings it home, and while I can recognize how 4-6 were revolutionary and good, I only really enjoy 5. I thought 7 would be good if you'd never seen 4, because that movie seemed to me to be A New Hope 2.0

Is this movie good (assuming you liked it) because it's well-executed/written well/etc or is it good because it's Star Wars?
I think its good because they made a ton of effort to make it fit with New Hope from both an artistic feel and from a story standpoint. There isn't any awful retconning like you had in Phantom Menace and the rest of the prequels. This movie actually makes New Hope a much better film which is an achievement in and of itself. They took the trailer of Star Wars and turned it into a 2 hour noble sacrifice war movie that explains just how desperate the situation was in New Hope and also illustrates the dark side of the Rebels too.

The slow buildup in the movie is being criticized by many idiots online but people seem to forget that you need character development and story building rather than action scene to action scene to action scene. Go watch The Force Awakens again...there is literally zero character development in that film. Its just 20 action scenes tacked on one after the other and all of it is basically the Cliffs Notes version of the original trilogy with zero new ideas. Its the same thing Abrams did with the Star Trek reboots...he banked on nostalgia and people already knowing the characters/world to avoid having to do any development of his own.

This movie had all that and while the beginning portion was a bit disjointed due to the jumping around, at least it gave us some insight into the motivations of the people involved.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
The slow buildup
When people say slow, I think they mean choppy. Too many events in too many planets.

Also, I kind of wish the crew was a little smaller. As it was, most of them didn't get the development they deserved.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I just saw it last night, and man was it awesome! The only part I didn't love was the jerk in front of me who had his phone on. -_- I loved how they tied it in to A New Hope, but it just felt weird, not having the opening scrawl at the beginning.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:55 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I was finally able to see it tonight and thought it was great. I actually kind of liked the choppy beginning. It gave it kind of an Ocean's 11 sort of feel where you meet everyone.

I thought it was pretty cool to see Vader's castle finally. Lucas had planned that for Empire Strikes back but eventually scrapped the idea. Was it supposed to be Mustafar? It was the only planet they didn't bother naming with on-screen text, for some reason. And of course the final Vader scene is awesome. Though it now seems odd that he calmly follows the stormtroopers onto the Tantive at the beginning of Ep. 4 instead of going berserk again and killing everyone.

I didn't mind Tarkin or Leia too much. Tarkin, at least, pretty much had to be in this movie for the Death Star scenes. Yeah, he looked a little weird, but it was better than recasting him. I've seen a couple reviewers freak out over how terrible Tarkin and Leia look, going so far as to compare them to Jar Jar. I mean, it's obvious they're CGI, but it was pretty damn good CGI IMO. As for why Leia was right in the midst of the battle...it's a least supported by Ep. 4, where one of the first lines is C3PO's "there'll be no escape for the princess this time." Pretty similar to Vader's "There will be no one to stop us this time," a little later on.

I liked all the easter eggs I saw except one...what was the point of having the 2 guys from the cantina scene be on Jedha? It wasn't like it was a drawn out scene or anything, but it was still kinda weird. Thankfully George Lucas hadn't directed this, or those two guys would have hosted the Jedha pod race (in which Salacious Crumb, revealed as Sebulba's grandson, narrowly beats out Dengar).

And of course there's the fact this movie has by far the best battle scenes of any Star Wars...

I'm not sure how to rank it against the other 7, though. It's just so different(which is good). No matter how good any future Star Wars movie is, it would feel almost sacreligious to rank it higher than ANH or ESB. I guess I'd go with:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) New Hope
3) Rogue One
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Force Awakens
6) Revenge of the Sith
7) Attack of the Clones (I guess...)
8) Holiday Special
9) Root Canal
10) That cartoon one I've never seen
11) Phantom Menace
Old 12-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

The "Many Bothans died..." quote was in Return of the Jedi, referring to the Emperor showing up on the 2nd Death Star. Mon Mothma wasn't even in A New Hope.

/Nerdsplaining

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Saw it on my birthday, loved it. It was kinda slow in the beginning, but picked up nicely.

The CGI Tarkin & Leia didn't bug me. tbh, i didn't notice at first. i was trying to figure out how they got a modern actor to look so much like Peter Cushing, and why they did such a shitty job on his make-up, before i figured it out.

i also thought they made Carrie Fisher's daughter look like Leia at first, but then realized her eyes were too big to be real. Guess that whole Disney Princess thing is kicking in.

K-2SO is now my daughter's favorite Star Wars character. She has good taste.

Minor annoyance: Why was Jyn Erso in Imperial custody at the beginning? Guess it doesn't matter, but still.

Meta question: Bail Organa deliberately sends Anakin's politically savvy & force-sensitive daughter to Anakin's old Jedi Master, who Bail knew also kept an eye on her brother. So what was the New Hope: the Death Star plans or Leia?

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
So what was the New Hope: the Death Star plans or Leia?
Yes.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

I'm not sure I agreed with the glowing reviews. I thought the last 45 minutes were excellent as a set piece action movie. The first hour or so were incredibly dull and meaningless in the context of the movie.

I saw it twice now, and the first time I loved it, the second time had incredibly mixed reactions, for one reason (the same one the prequels sucked): no characterization.

Why do any of these people care, about each other, or anything? Chirrut and Baze help Jyn for almost no reason at all, and stick with them for the same no-reason-given. Why are we supposed to buy these people as a team? I got the feeling that the director was thinking "they're all gonna die, so why bother establishing any kind of background for them".

For that matter, Jyn goes from totally apathetic mercenary criminal (in regards to the Empire) to hardcore rebel in the space of 15 seconds of watching her father tell her he loves her. We have absolutely nothing priming us for that change; not a minute before that we have Jyn telling Saw Guerrrero that she doesn't care at all about the Rebellion.

The script almost manages to touch on some kind of moral arc for Cassian, between killing the informant, not killing Galen, and then his whole speech before heading off to the final battle, but it needed a little more attention to make it stick. Other than that, I either didn't understand the motivation of, or didn't buy the change of heart, for a single other character.

Also, much as I adore Ben Mendelsohn, he had literally no need to be in this movie aside from providing that smarmy, superior, snake-ish sense of menace that he does so well. I mean, can anyone pinpoint one line or scene which he's in which couldn't have been accomplished without losing any dramatic/narrative impact by having it been CGI-Tarkin, Vader, or even some nameless Imperial officer?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Youngling

JohnatanRog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rogue One Just Assume Spoilers

Remember when about half of us would walk the edge of indecency, narrowly averting the ban-hammer, just by posting a response to a thread like this?

Oh, the good-ol days