art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): abackpackthe,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Wheel of Time Resources
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Hi there! I could have sworn you'd posted here before. For those who don't remember, Mr. Levy was one of the more helpful people in the last WOTGH where we decoded the Cadsuane bio.

Apologies for the long slack on this project--partly that's because I don't want to dump it all at once, and partly it's because I'll take any excuse to be lazy. We did a panel on the notes at JordanCon, so that made me feel like I did my bit for a little while.

I think I will feel a little more inclined to spend time on this once GOT is over. I'm going a reread and a rewatch so that kind of sucks up all my free time. That and Dragon Ball Super, but that show doesn't take hiatuses so it will continue to occupy me at least one night a week for the foreseeable future.
Can't blame you on Super. Considering the new arc and everything.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I have been watching it live since the U6 tournament arc began.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I have been watching it live since the U6 tournament arc began.
Been following it as I can.

And really looking forward to whenever Funimation gets the dubbing rights.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I have gotten to the point where I don't care about the dub any more. I've known the Japanese voices for a long time because I got a bootleg fansub of movies 11-13 before Funimation released them. Now I'm so used to them that the English voices sound weird to me. Masako Nozawa's evil Goku is so perfect!

I should probably stop blabbing about DBS though... some people are probably subscribed to this thread.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I should probably stop blabbing about DBS though... some people are probably subscribed to this thread.
Jedi hand wave: "this is not the Dragon you were thinking of."
Old 06-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Youngling

JonathanLevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi there! I could have sworn you'd posted here before. For those who don't remember, Mr. Levy was one of the more helpful people in the last WOTGH where we decoded the Cadsuane bio.

Apologies for the long slack on this project--partly that's because I don't want to dump it all at once, and partly it's because I'll take any excuse to be lazy. We did a panel on the notes at JordanCon, so that made me feel like I did my bit for a little while.
Hi there Terez

I was also quite sure I had an account, but my mind drew a complete blank when it came to furnishing any details. This thread was a good enough reason to open a new one.

Ah, memories! I think I still have the java code I wrote while working on the Cadsuane text. I made sure to grab it from my computer before I left my last job. Probably shouldn't have been doing that at work... but the temptation was irresistible. Hope my new employer doesn't read this

Enjoy your GoT re-read/watch. I can sympathize - finally splurged on the World of Ice and Fire book... should arrive in the mail in a week or two. Maybe I'll even buy the BBoBA... now that would be something.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

This comes from the tag end of an incomplete file we got last time we went to the library. I got the rest of the file today. This is something a lot of people wonder about, so I'll share the whole passage.

Quote:
[Box 61 Fol 18]
Page 128

WHAT NYNAEVE AND ELAYNE NEED IN THE TOWER:

The first attempt at using "need" by Nynaeve and Elayne led them, not to Ebou Dar and the Bowl of the Winds, but to the Tower, to a chamber where "unknown" ter'angreal are kept under guard. There is something in that particular cache, or maybe more than one something, which in some way fit their "needs" at that point. And it came up first! Perhaps another weather controlling device? What other needs did they have then? Personally, they were in Salidar, once again treated as Accepted, even if Elayne was a fair-haired girl because of her new-found ability to make ter'angreal. Nynaeve still suffered from her block. What else? They were excluded from the councils and decisions, not knowing what was being decided or why. Was either of them using the "real" dream-ring, or were both force [sic] to use copies at this point? They were being forced to give lessons in Tel'aran'rhiod to sisters who were fractious pupils and condescending at best. WHAT ELSE? On a larger scale, what did they or do they need long-term? What about Aes Sedai as a whole? Long-term dangers and/or problems include the Seanchan, the Black Tower, the Forsaken, the approach of the Last Battle, increasing disorder in the world, the division in the Tower, and the Black Ajah. Other things?

X
Old 04-26-2017, 04:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Left out of that list is something else they had figured out they needed: a way to make the AS cooperate with Rand rather than having them try (and fail) to control him.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

I also neglected to mention that these were KOD-era notes focusing on Egwene. As with many long files, there are remnants of earlier mindsets in this one. The notes were carried over and updated.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Loial explained it to Rand:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOTW, Ch 36, Web of the Pattern
"Um, yes, well. Not exactly. You see, the Wheel of Time weaves the Pattern of the Ages, and the threads it uses are lives. It is not fixed, the Pattern, not always. If a man tries to change the direction of his life and the Pattern has room for it, the Wheel just weaves on and takes it in. There is always room for small changes, but sometimes the Pattern simply won't accept a big change, no matter how hard you try. You understand?"
What can be seen in the notes is what would have been if Nynaeve* had not decided to change the direction of her life. Plus maybe some optional extra directions it could have taken.

* She seems the more likely culprit, here. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Just shared this bit from Carlinya's entry on Facebook, so I might as well share here too:

Quote:
Min saw a tattoo of a raven; SHE IS FATED TO BE CAPTURED BY THE SEANCHAN AND MADE DAMANE.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just shared this bit from Carlinya's entry on Facebook, so I might as well share here too:

Quote:
Min saw a tattoo of a raven; SHE IS FATED TO BE CAPTURED BY THE SEANCHAN AND MADE DAMANE.
This made me headdesk a bit, but I'm glad we finally know. The earlier explanation—that ravens also symbolize the Dark One; Carlinya was killed by the Black Ajah—never seemed particularly plausible.

I wonder if RJ planned to have Mat run into her at some point and set her free. Carlinya was frequently described as cold and snooty to the Super Girls, but never really did anything horrible to deserve that level of karmic comeuppance. She was already punished with a new haircut after ignoring Nynaeve and Elayne's warnings about T'A'R. Being made damane for life was a fate RJ otherwise seemed to reserve for the most unlikeable female villains (Elaida, Moghedien, Liandrin).
Old 04-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ebony asked about Zemaille on Facebook, so here is a portion of her entry that's a bit more detailed than what you'll find in the companion, though most of this is under the Atha'an Miere entry.

Like the Carlinya entry, this is from the file entitled "Aes Sedai, Accepted, and Novices" in Box 57, Folder 1. (This has changed from the mid-processing box number, 54.)

Quote:
Amassa, Zemaille: L[oyal]. Brown Ajah. A librarian in the White Tower.

[snip stuff found in the books]

Zemaille, Aiden, and Nyein share rooms in the upper levels of the library and spend most of their time either there or in the secret Thirteenth Depository, where they work.

Like all Sea Folk sisters, current and past, Zemaille deliberately simplified her name on going to the White Tower. She was Zemaille din Amassa — —, but dropped her salt name (IF SHE HAD ONE) and cut the rest to Zemaille Amassa. This was done to distance herself from the Sea Folk.

Like all Sea Folk sisters, current and past, Zemaille was older than her stated age on going to the White Tower. Zemaille claimed to be 18 years old when she went to the Tower, and a wilder, though hiding much of what she already knew of channeling. She was young enough not to have come very near her full strength yet, however.

The Atha'an Miere Windfinders believe that a younger woman might not be able to carry off the deceptions necessary, and so pick women who slowed at the earliest age they can find. They are always apprentices, though this fact is hidden from the Aes Sedai. In no way can they allow any connection to form for the Aes Sedai between Windfinders and the ability to channel. They go to the White Tower claiming to be 17 or 18, and despite the training they have received, they must pass themselves off as wilders and pretend to know much less than they do. Although any of them could breeze through the novice and Accepted training, they must pretend to learn channeling slowly and unspectacularly. So few have ever spent less than ten years as a novice and ten as Accepted. This "averageness" does not attract any notice since women of moderate strength are always chosen.

These women need to live a lie in spite of the Three Oaths. They must pretend to have no desire to return to the sea, and to be quiet and reclusive, attracting no notice, no matter what their real personalities.

Sea Folk Windfinders are aware, after centuries of sending young women to the White Tower, that these women die younger, on average, than do the Windfinders themselves, though life at sea is dangerous enough that they seldom live nearly as long as they might for a given strength, but they simply take this as another harshness in having to make the sacrifice of leaving the sea to become Aes Sedai.

All three of the current Atha'an Miere sisters are Brown Ajah. They are friends with one another, but have very if any other friends. They seldom leave the Tower, and almost never leave Tar Valon. This behavior is typical of Sea Folk sisters historically. With orders not to draw any attention to themselves, they remain close to the Tower, and never make any effort to contact or communicate with the Atha'an Miere, except to report that one of them has died. Even when a Sea Folk sister leaves Tar Valon, she never goes near the sea.

The Brown Ajah is the traditional Ajah for Sea Folk sisters. Initially this came about because the way they behave in training marks them as potential Browns, though now Sea Folk sisters within the Brown can make sure they are chosen for the Brown. As novices and Accepted they study hard, though if they xcel it always is in subjects other than channeling (which would draw attention), and they are bookish, spending much time in the library. They project an air of shyness and reclusiveness, making few if any friends.

There have never been more than three or four sisters from the Atha'an Miere at any one time. Sometimes a replacement is chosen when death causes the number to drop to 3, and other times when it drops to 2. The irregularity is to keep the Tower from detecting a pattern, and together with the small numbers is meant to keep the Tower believing that there are not many Sea Folk women who want to channel, that those who do will go to the Tower, and that the ability to channel runs weakly among the Atha'an Miere.

As can be seen, for women of the Sea Folk, going to the White Tower is a lifelong exile.

One of the three Sea Folk sisters, probably the youngest, may chose [sic] to remain as Aes Sedai.

X
For me, this part is disappointing:

Quote:
...they remain close to the Tower, and never make any effort to contact or communicate with the Atha'an Miere, except to report that one of them has died.
I always figured that the Sea Folk sent their people to steal Aes Sedai secrets in the Thirteenth Depository.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM
13th Depository

Linda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to behold
Default Old Notes on Aes Sedai

This is a paragraph from some very early notes on the Aes Sedai that I found today. It's verbatim and I've highlighted an interesting bit.

"A city, Tar Valon, has grown up close by Dragonmount, and is the sole remaining place where Aes Sedai are trained. Only female Aes Sedai are left, for the taint still remains in the male source of Power. Some men will take the risk for Power anyway, and others still are born with the deeply ingrained ability. As each of these men would become a great danger if left alone, groups of female Aes Sedai, large enough to overwhelm the Power-using ability of any single man, search them out, ‘gentling’ them. As this involves both gelding and a mental process that strips the man involved of volition for any major action, it is something no one seeks."

Obviously RJ changed his mind a little with this one.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Zemaille's entry starts on Page 44.

Carlinya's entry starts on 454.

For Jen Halbman, here's the interesting non-Companion bits for Saerin, starting on page 59:

Quote:
Asnobar, Saerin. L. Brown Ajah.

[stuff in books]

Warder: none at present. She has had several over her lifetime, and has had intimate relationships with some of them, but she feels that a Sitter having a Warder is not right, confining the man to the Tower and Tar Valon as it does; Warders are men who need to be on the move, as she sees it.

[...]

Saerin does not approve of the rebellion, far from it, but she has come to understand, she believes. And like many others, she would like to see such a serious rift healed through negotiation, if possible. She would not pass up a chance to bring Elaida down. If, of course, it could be done without harming the White Tower. As do many sisters, Saerin believes that a good deal can be borne, indeed must be borne if necessary, when the alternative is damage to the White Tower's power and prestige.

[...]

X
(emphases RJ's)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
This is a paragraph from some very early notes on the Aes Sedai that I found today. It's verbatim and I've highlighted an interesting bit.

"A city, Tar Valon, has grown up close by Dragonmount, and is the sole remaining place where Aes Sedai are trained. Only female Aes Sedai are left, for the taint still remains in the male source of Power. Some men will take the risk for Power anyway, and others still are born with the deeply ingrained ability. As each of these men would become a great danger if left alone, groups of female Aes Sedai, large enough to overwhelm the Power-using ability of any single man, search them out, ‘gentling’ them. As this involves both gelding and a mental process that strips the man involved of volition for any major action, it is something no one seeks."

Obviously RJ changed his mind a little with this one.
haha, yeah, the gelding bit was in another file (previously Box 28, Folder 1; probably Box 20, Folder 2 now); I think I might have mentioned it here before.

THE WHEEL OF TIME
OUTLINE/BOOK ONE

Quote:
From that time forward every male who has attempted to weild [sic] the power has suffered the same fate. The only way to avoid this fate is to be gelded, and to accept a form of lobotomy performed with the power that makes the victim very passive, incapable of violence, and receptive to being commanded. Some men wish to follow the paths of knowledge and power, and so accept the price. Some men (and some women) have such an ingrained afinity [sic] for the powers that they would be weilders [sic] whether they trained or not. To find these males, so they will not become dangers to the land, there are testings at a certain age, and those found are taken into training. The males must, of course, be gelded and have the rest performed as well. (ANOTHER NAME MUST BE USED FOR THIS. THE VERY PRACTICE IS NOT WELL KNOWN. MOST PEOPLE THINK THE EFFECTS ON MEN OF USING POWER CAUSE THE SOFTENED FEATURES AND HIGH VOICES, ETC.) The girls are simply trained.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

A few for Chris Cottingham:

Page 52

Quote:
Andomeran, Rianna: White Ajah (BA)

[stuff in books]

Sent off by Moghedien on another task. Merely listened, a touch of relief in her eyes, bowed in assent and left; F18. SHE COULD HAVE BEEN SENT TO CAIRHIEN. BUT WHY? AT THAT TIME MOGHEDIEN MIGHT WELL NOT HAVE KNOWN THAT RAND WAS MOVING INTO CAIRHIEN, OR EVEN THAT THE SHAIDO HAD.

Remember that these women all had dream ter'angreal, and maybe part of whatever others Moghedien had left to them.

Knows that Elayne, Nynaeve and Egwene pretended to be Aes Sedai in Tear, and that Elayne and Nynaeve pretended so again in Tanchico.

X
Page 76

Quote:
Basaheen, Duhara: L. Red Ajah. (Black)

[stuff in books]

She's a gung-ho, go-get'um Red. She took part in the "male channeler pogrom," and though she was not in on taking any men who could channel, she did participate in the "executions" or arranged deaths of a number of men who were only suspected. This is to the good, from Elaida's pov.

Mention of men who can channel always "lights fires in her head," narrowing her eyes in anger.

Elaida thinks that Duhara is firmly in her pocket, but the fact is that Duhara harbors personal resentments and chafes at Elaida's control.

Duhara is Black Ajah.

She doesn't know that Alviarin is Black, much less that Alviarin is the head of the Black. She doesn't like Alviarin. And because she doesn't know that Alviarin, a Black sister, has Elaida firmly in hand for the moment, she may take actions because of her chafing that Alviarin will not like any more than Elaida.

It is possible that she may have been involved in the death of Sierin Vayu, another point in her favor in Elaida's eyes.

Her involvement in the pogrom was discovered, and like the others below the top rank, she was given a stiff if less hellacious penance for nebulous public reasons. This did not alter her belief that what they had done was right, though. She did not dislike men when she became Red, but she does now.

[stuff in books]

X
Page 110

Quote:
Caide, Jeaine: Green Ajah (BA)

[stuff in books]

SENT OFF ON A TASK BY MOGHEDIEN. Showed horror at Moghedien's task, tried to cover herself (she was wearing a diaphanous Domani gown then). Thus, if the possibility above is so, her task involved exposing herself, maybe to threat/possibility of sex in some way, but maybe just as in being exposed to danger. To Taraboners, or Whitecloaks? MAY HAVE BEEN SENT TO FIND/SHADOW RAND. AT TIME HE WAS IN THE WASTE, WHICH FITS. WOULD CERTAINLY FOLLOW HIM. A LONG POSTING IN AMADOR MIGHT HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. BUT SHE HAS JUST PASSED THROUGH AMADICIA WITHOUT CRINGING.

It may be that rather than a horror of sex, she is simply a physical coward, or maybe she thought the mission put her in great danger. Which might imply a return to Tar Valon.

She may turn out to have been captured by the Seanchan.

[stuff in books]

X
Merilille's entry is on pages 130-132. This was the only interesting bit:

Quote:
Rather than accept being sent to the Atha'an Miere ships for a year, Merilille fled the Royal Palace in Caemlyn with Talaan, the apprentice Windfinder, (?leaving a note that said that she was taking her to become a novice?).
Chris had some other requests that I will get to tomorrow.

If any of you here have requests, let me know.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

No one asked about Moiraine, but there's some interesting stuff in her entry that I actually typed out last time we visited (on that last day when we couldn't scan) and I kept secret all this time because I thought it might make it into the Companion. Her entry starts on p. 152.

Quote:
Damodred, Moiraine: U. Blue Ajah EOW, DR3, S1, FProl. Lineage S17.

[stuff in books]

Pg 162

She knows that Lanfear survived passage through the doorframe ter'angreal with her; she saw Lanfear dragged off. She knows that a man she did not recognize (Moridin) came to see her in her captivity and said she was the wrong one, it must be the other. She suspects that Lanfear was freed.

[stuff in books]

When Mat and Thom find and rescue her, Moiraine is suspended in mid-air, naked except for the blue jewel on her forehead, her Great Serpent ring, and the "acrobat" bracelet angreal. She seems asleep or unconscious, slowly turning in the air, writhing slowly, murmuring. She appears to be in a haze, so they cannot really make her out at first. (I think actually

Pg 163

getting to her engenders feeling of being burned. It is Thom who actually does it, in the end.)

They have been rummaging through her experiences, making her relive them in the form of dreams that seem like real life, raping her mind in effect. They concentrated on things that engendered strong emotion, whether love or hate or fear of whatever, so long as it is strong. The point is to feed off the engendered emotion. When repetition dulls the emotion, they would alter the events to make the emotions strong again. They always made these changes in slow increments, just enough to strengthen the emotion again without wasting any. Example: Lan dumped in the pond, first just as it really happened, then he became rougher at it until [he] beat her first, and she was so shocked she could not channel; then he made love to her; then he raped her; then she killed him. Slow progressions through possibilities, however improbable they were in reality, just so long as they intensify the emotions. They could not introduce things outside of her memory -- for example, somebody she has never seen -- but anything in there already could be rearranged any way they wanted. Example: she could as a grown woman watch her mother (dead before she reached adulthood) plot and execute the murder of her father (who died in battle when she was a child) with a collection of people glimpsed during her travels.

There have also been periods where she was brought back to consciousness. Awareness of what is happening also increases the emotional aspects.

This is the same thing that was done to Lanfear, until she was "rescued" by Moridin/Ishamael.

Moiraine doesn't know what happened to Lanfear. When they passed through the doorframe ter'angreal, she only clung to consciousness long enough to know that they had both passed through, that the doorframe was burning. When she woke, she was floating in air, and they were explaining to her what was going to happen. To heighten her emotions. She believes that she had relived a number of incidents for them before that. While floating, she could not speak.

One set of memories never had to be heightened or changed. Memories of Thom always produced as strong an emotion every time, just as they were. She thinks they are what have kept her sane. She is surprised that years have not passed.

One consequence of what was done to her is the erosion of her ability to channel. With the bracelet angreal, she is stronger than she was before, as strong as Nynaeve, true "Forsaken class". Without it, she has so little ability left, that if she had come to the Tower that way, they would have taught her enough to be safe and hustled her out before her feet had more than touched down. Without it, it is an effort for her to light a candle; she can pick up a book with effort, but the blow she could deliver would be lighter than her arm could give.

She hopes that Lanfear is still somewhere there, undergoing the same fate, or at least that she underwent it long enough to suffer the consequences she herself has.

She will recall that once she was brought back to consciousness to find a man there (Ishamael, though she doesn't know it,

Pg 164

already as Moridin), apparently young, tall, muscular, beautifully handsome. She was not the woman he wanted. He wasn't interested in her at all, and he seemed irritated at having his time wasted, impatient. She was returned to the "sleep" in moments, but she recalls his appearance very clearly; he frightened her for some reason, and maybe because he was part of her memory, as was her fear of him, the snakes(?)/foxes(?) incorporated him into her dreams when they went to making things more complicated for her. The reinforcement, plus the things done in those particular dreams, have increased that fear to the point where she shivers thinking of him and her teeth might chatter if she saw him in the flesh.

[stuff in books]

She has fallen in love with Thom Merrilin, in part for what she claims is a foolish reason: He makes her laugh.

[stuff in books]

Pg 165

Moiraine got three answers inside the doorframe ter'angreal in the Stone of Tear. Her answers came before she went to the Waste and so could not in any way involved what her visions were in the testing ter'angreal in Rhuidean. I DO NOT THINK ANY OF HERS HAVE BEEN REVEALED. Where and when did she say that she knew the face of the man she would marry better than any of the others knew who they would?

X
I also forgot to add Chris's request for Myrelle, whose entry starts on Page 88:

Quote:
Myrelle Berengari. R. Green Ajah.

[stuff in books]

Warders: [...]

Lan Mandragoran: His bond passed to her with Moiraine's disappearance/"death". This arrangement was made between Moiraine and Myrelle, in contravention of custom for the past 400 years, without Lan's prior knowledge. She had agreed to pass that bond on to Nynaeve "when Nynaeve achieved the shawl and was ready." She made a great effort to force Nynaeve to readiness when she felt the bond pass to her, and she objected to sending Lan on to Nynaeve because she didn't think Nynaeve was ready for any Warder, much less a man in Lan's fragile, volatile, and dangerous state.

[...]

Head the Green Ajah among the rebels. L40. This is largely because they recognize her organizational-managerial-command skills. Among Greens, these count in many ways as much as or more than strength or skill in the Power; at least to the extent that you can be not very strong at all, but if you have good leadership abilities, or good managerial or organizational skills, you will find yourself moving up the hierarchy in the Greens, and the Greens do have a very well defined hierarchy, organized much like military rank, though without titles. Every Green knows in her head the roughly pyramidal chart of who ranks where. You can be recommended for promotion up the chart, promoted or demoted, according to your performance as evaluated by those above you. You can be leaped over others already ahead of you, or dropped as far as the bottom tier from any height, though either is uncommon.

In truth, because of the scheme to control events being run by the Ajahs other than Red and Blue, Myrelle and the other sisters who accepted positions as "head" of their Ajah in exile are all in some trouble back in the Tower,

Pg 90

internal Ajah trouble that has nothing to do with the rebellion. The choices were made by the sisters as a whole, who did not know of the scheme by the upper ranks of the Ajahs.

[...]

Myrelle "knew" that Moiraine was dead as soon as she felt Lan's bond pass to her. If nothing else, this would be when she suddenly became "aware" of him.

She didn't know Lan's feelings for Nynaeve until they were revealed to her by Egwene, though she thought that explained a good deal. Both she and Nisao initially thought any such feelings must be on Nynaeve's part alone, that no one could captured [sic] Lan's heart because of his dedication to his one-man war.

She promised to pass his bond on to Nynaeve when N became Aes Sedai and was ready for a Warder. Nynaeve has been raised to Aes Sedai faster than any of them expected; now Nynaeve is not there, and in any case, Myrelle does not think Lan is any shape to be handed over to a young and inexperienced Aes Sedai who is not at all ready to handle something like him.

Myrelle took Lan to her bed; this was to last until she had begun making him think of life again, to however small a degree, it being her belief that fucking makes you center on life rather than death. She had to use the bond to compel him, sometimes, which she found both odd and somewhat insulting.

NOTE: Unlike the situation with Moiraine, where she and Myrelle prepared things so that the bond would pass at Moiraine's death, Myrelle and Nynaeve will have to be together for his bond to be passed between them. He does not have to be there, but I think Nynaeve insists on it, which Myrelle will approve of, though she will be the one who says he doesn't have to etc as a test.

The discovery by Egwene and Siuan of the situation with Lan led to Myrelle and Nisao being forced to swear fealty to Egwene personally.

[book quotes]

X
Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the tidbits Terez.

Thank god gelding became gentling.

The Sea Folk stuff is interesting. Was there anything on what made Moiraine suspicious of Windfinders? I always felt that name was bound to attract Aes Sedai attention, unlike Wise One, which sounded more like Wisdom, and less associated wiht the Power.

Also, anything in the notes on who actually betrayed Egwene? tGS implies it was Nicola, but how could Nicola know of the plan when even Kairen was not told, when she was alive and being trained?

Other things on which I'd like whatever info the notes have:

1) Who was the third Blue Sitter in the Tower before the schism?

2) Why did Aran'gar murder Anaiya, and then Kairen, at the time she did? Was Anaiya getting suspicious? Had she uncovered something?

3) Did RJ have any plans for how Siuan's lie about Logain and the Reds would be resolved? This was completely ignored, and I find it the weakest link in the Tower storyline.

4) Any unusual Aes Sedai abilities and Talents. Actually, this can be for any character.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
No one asked about Moiraine, but there's some interesting stuff in her entry that I actually typed out last time we visited (on that last day when we couldn't scan) and I kept secret all this time because I thought it might make it into the Companion. Her entry starts on p. 152.

I also forgot to add Chris's request for Myrelle, whose entry starts on Page 88:
Wow. Why in the world wasn't any of this incorporated in the books? The whole Finn-memory thing in particular sounds creepy and awful. Wonder if this has anything to do with the Accepted test. Are those arches a gift from the Finns, and do Accepted end up providing sustenance to the Finn because of their strong emotions in these tests?

The Myrelle-Nynaeve bond passing also seems like it would have been a good moment. Sad to see it didn't make it to the books.