art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
And Trump continues digging that hole. Apparently all he needed to do was toss out a few roles of paper towels, and now he's calling it good in Puerto Rico.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/u...y-forever.html
Can Donny please get in a Twitter war with Eminem? This is something the world needs right now.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Trump continues digging that hole. Apparently all he needed to do was toss out a few roles of paper towels, and now he's calling it good in Puerto Rico.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/u...y-forever.html
It probably doesn't help that so few Americans even realize that Puerto Ricans are Americans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/u...-citizens.html

Quote:
But another explanation is simpler: Many Americans don’t realize that what happened in Puerto Rico is a domestic disaster, not a foreign one.

A new poll of 2,200 adults by Morning Consult found that only 54 percent of Americans know that people born in Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States, are U.S. citizens. (Because Puerto Rico is not a state, they do not vote in presidential elections, but they send one nonvoting representative to Congress.)
Quote:
This finding varied significantly by age and education. Only 37 percent of people ages 18 to 29 know people born in Puerto Rico are citizens, compared with 64 percent of those 65 or older. Similarly, 47 percent of Americans without a college degree know Puerto Ricans are Americans, compared with 72 percent of those with a bachelor’s degree and 66 percent of those with a postgraduate education.
Quote:
Inaccurate beliefs on this question matter, because Americans often support cuts to foreign aid when asked to evaluate spending priorities. In our poll, support for additional aid was strongly associated with knowledge of the citizenship status of Puerto Ricans. More than 8 in 10 Americans who know Puerto Ricans are citizens support aid, compared with only 4 in 10 of those who do not.
This is why Puerto Rico needs to be a state. When this happens in Texas, or Louisiana, or Florida, senators and congressmen, even if conservatives who previously argued against federal relief aid for hurricanes (like Ted Cruz with Sandy) start demanding attention and money. But when this happens in Puerto Rico...

Tangentially, this is also why Toledo is in Ohio instead of Michigan. Those Ohio bastards stole it from us back when Michigan was still just a territory, but after Ohio had already achieved statehood. We both bitched to congress, but Ohio, conveniently the only one with senators and reps, and the only one who mattered in presidential elections at the time, got their way, even though the land was quite clearly designated as part of Michigan in the Northwest Ordinance.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
It probably doesn't help that so few Americans even realize that Puerto Ricans are Americans.

This is why Puerto Rico needs to be a state. When this happens in Texas, or Louisiana, or Florida, senators and congressmen, even if conservatives who previously argued against federal relief aid for hurricanes (like Ted Cruz with Sandy) start demanding attention and money. But when this happens in Puerto Rico...

Tangentially, this is also why Toledo is in Ohio instead of Michigan. Those Ohio bastards stole it from us back when Michigan was still just a territory, but after Ohio had already achieved statehood. We both bitched to congress, but Ohio, conveniently the only one with senators and reps, and the only one who mattered in presidential elections at the time, got their way, even though the land was quite clearly designated as part of Michigan in the Northwest Ordinance.
Someone trolled the Donald reddit earlier this week or last week with a statement that the President of Puerto Rico had destroyed the budget and should resign. They thought it was a great idea...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Toledo is in Spain, silly.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Toledo is in Spain, silly.
The Catalonians probably stole it and sold it to Michigan, who then lost it to Ohio. Of course, the Spanish more likely than not originally took it from the natives, so there's that.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, just found out that my health insurance, thanks to the orange POS, will be going up by more than $100 in January because he's cutting subsidies to the companies.

Hoping more and more that his entire administration (barring Mattis and Tillerson) gets charged with collusion with the Russian government and they're all put behind bars.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, just found out that my health insurance, thanks to the orange POS, will be going up by more than $100 in January because he's cutting subsidies to the companies.

Hoping more and more that his entire administration (barring Mattis and Tillerson) gets charged with collusion with the Russian government and they're all put behind bars.
Making America Great Again...by going in dry and not using lube.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
The Catalonians probably stole it and sold it to Michigan, who then lost it to Ohio. Of course, the Spanish more likely than not originally took it from the natives, so there's that.
To be fair to Ohio, Kimon might complain about losing Toledo, the jewel of NW Ohio, but Michigan did manage to snag the entire Upper Peninsula out of the deal...not exactly an awful swap given the massive mineral resources that were there that helped drive their economy for almost a century.

Still, losing Toledo has to smart a bit.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

They had obviously been hinting at this, but this is still colossally stupid, not to mention transparently motivated purely by politics rather than due to anything Iran is doing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41613314

So, this is the flimsy pretext...

Quote:
On two occasions, he said, they had exceeded the limit of 130 tonnes of heavy water (a source of plutonium suitable for a nuclear bomb).
Until recently, he said, the regime had failed to meet expectations in its operation of advanced centrifuges.
He claimed it had also "intimidated international inspectors into not using the full inspection authorities that the agreement calls for".
As for those inspectors...

Quote:
Yukiya Amano, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said Iran was implementing the deal and was subject to "the world's most robust nuclear verification regime".
And the gist of the European response...

Quote:
That view was reinforced by EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, who said the deal was "robust" and that there had been "no violations of any of the commitments in the agreement".
It was not in the power of "any president in the world" to terminate the agreement, which had been established by a UN Security Council resolution, she said.
In a joint statement, the UK, Germany and France said they were "concerned" by Mr Trump's move but remained committed to the deal. But they added they also "shared concerns about Iran's ballistic missile programme and regional activities".
But hey, as with Unesco, apparently kowtowing to Israel and Saudi Arabia is more important than safeguarding peace and non-proliferation. I suppose we can hope that the republicans in congress will do the right thing, but...
Old 10-14-2017, 03:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But hey, as with Unesco, apparently kowtowing to Israel and Saudi Arabia is more important than safeguarding peace and non-proliferation. I suppose we can hope that the republicans in congress will do the right thing, but...
In theory, it is not totally impossible, I guess. Still, I wouldn't advice holding Trump's breath until this happens.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Ancient

With ISIS pretty much wrapped up, looking more and more like both Turkey and Baghdad are feeling more prepared to turn now against another common foe...

In Iraq:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41621754

Quote:
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters say Iraq's central government has ordered them to surrender key military positions in the disputed city of Kirkuk within hours.
They were given a deadline of 02:00 on Sunday (23:00 GMT on Saturday) to quit military facilities and oil fields.
Brief clashes also erupted between Kurdish forces and Shia militia backing the Iraqi government.
In Syria:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41607822

Quote:
Turkish soldiers and armoured vehicles have crossed into Syria as part of an operation Ankara says is aimed at stopping fighting in Idlib province.
Quote:
That operation also served to prevent a US-backed alliance that is led by the Kurdish Popular Protection Units (YPG) seizing the territory and reaching Afrin.
Quote:
An official in a Free Syrian Army (FSA) faction said the Turkish deployment would "ensure the area is protected from Russian and regime bombing and to foil any attempt by the separatist YPG militias to illegally seize any territory".
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed last week that he would not allow the YPG to form a "terror corridor" to the Mediterranean, which would require the Kurds capturing mountainous areas held by opposition and government forces.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

If someone were to build a time machine, go back 100 years and kill Sykes & Picot, the Middle East would be a lot better place.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Ancient

Quote:
If someone were to build a time machine, go back 100 years and kill Sykes & Picot, the Middle East would be a lot better place.
Or, you know, just go full Terminator and take out Jesus and Muhummad...
Old 10-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Or, you know, just go full Terminator and take out Jesus and Muhummad...
How does one take out fictional characters with questionable historical records that one of them even existed?

If they did...go back with a hologram projector and be an "angel" and tell them to knock off all the idiocy instead.

And kill Saul of Tarsus too...that'd help big time.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Ancient

Quote:
How does one take out fictional characters with questionable historical records that one of them even existed?

If they did...go back with a hologram projector and be an "angel" and tell them to knock off all the idiocy instead.

Saving Julian at Ctesiphon would probably also work...

Edit: upon quick reflection, saving him at Samarra would likely be more efficacious than at Ctesiphon...

Last edited by Kimon; 10-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

If you tried that the hologram would malfunction (or be sabotaged) and instead of a divine being lit by holy fire you'd get a burning bush...
Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Why not tell the Trojans about the Greek hiding inside that wooden horse?
Spoiler:
You'd probably have to learn to speak Trojanese, which may or may not be similar to classical Greek.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Why not tell the Trojans about the Greek hiding inside that wooden horse?
Spoiler:
You'd probably have to learn to speak Trojanese, which may or may not be similar to classical Greek.
Not sure how helpful warning them about the earthquake (i.e. the Horse) would have been. As for language, even the Greek raiders didn't speak classical Greek, though the Mycenaeans spoke a proto-ancient Greek, i.e. the language of Linear B. We're far less certain about the Trojans, but they seem to have spoken Luwian, which is related to Hittite.

If you want to really throw a wrench into how antiquity unfolded, the loss of no other single individual would have been as momentous for the development of all of western culture than of Themistocles prior to the 2nd Persian War.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

I thought the earthquake theory was just one of multiple theories on the subject...all archaeology can show is that the city was badly damaged by an earthquake but it doesn't mean it happened during the war or at the end. Granted, classical history isn't my area of study and I'm not actively using my degree so I'd imagine you have far better info that I would on the subject.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

"He knew what he was signing up for"

Our president "comforting" a war widow. Are we winning yet?