art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): tfyhughtiffany,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, no others have come forward. He quickly apologized and made no excuses, the woman in question accepted the apology and says he shouldn't step down.

He also requested an Ethics investigation into it.

What he didn't do? Rape or molest kids.

So...I'm fine with him sticking around unless more confirmed people come forward and/or the ethics investigation uncovers damning evidence.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
One guy is accused of sexually-assaulting teenage girls? Might still get elected. Frankin does a stupid thing? Career is over.

I know that grading on a curve is a thing, but this is a bit much, don't you think?
Democrats tend to be less forgiving about these kinds of things. The gray area is Clinton/Kennedy type indiscretions. With the Kennedys all the shenanigans seemed purely consensual. With Bill? The Monica Lewinsky thing was clearly with consent, and she wasn’t a minor. The other women? Less clear. This Franken thing? Clearly w/o her consent.

Republicans often seem to just require their dudes to go to church, ask some random preacher to forgive their sins. Yada yada yada...
Old 11-18-2017, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Democrats tend to be less forgiving about these kinds of things.
That's because Republicans are the party of family value; their goal is getting every woman (no matter her age) in a "family way". Moore failed at that, apparently, but at least he tried. Franken only joked about it.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That's because Republicans are the party of family value; their goal is getting every woman (no matter her age) in a "family way". Moore failed at that, apparently, but at least he tried. Franken only joked about it.
Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's hypocrisy or just stupidity.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e97dffedf790

Quote:
In the same breath, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney affirmed that he thinks the women who have come forward are “credible,” but still would not say whether he believes that their charges are true.

“I believe they’re credible. I don’t know who to believe,” he said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“You don’t believe them?” host Andrea Mitchell asked.

“No, I said they’re credible. I don’t know who to believe,” Mulvaney repeated.
Something tells me that Mulvaney didn't take Latin in high school. Or he's just stupid.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it is more likely that he assumes that his voters are either stupid enough to fall for that or willing to suspend their disbelief even when they spot his hypocrisy. I also think that he is quite right in this.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Ancient

Quote:
I think that it is more likely that he assumes that his voters are either stupid enough to fall for that or willing to suspend their disbelief even when they spot his hypocrisy. I also think that he is quite right in this.
Maybe, but not sure what that has to do with whether or not he personally knows what credible means. Thinking that the voters are gullible or stupid is one thing, making yourself look stupid is quite another.

And I think it’s quite possible that Mulvaney did take Latin. He is Catholic. He went to a Catholic high school. And it’s not like he went to crappy southern colleges. He went to Georgetown for undergrad, and then UNC for law school. He shouldn’t be stupid. Nonetheless, I find it difficult to trust that he understands what credible means when he twice in but that quoted section references credible and then believe in such proximate discord.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe, but not sure what that has to do with whether or not he personally knows what credible means. Thinking that the voters are gullible or stupid is one thing, making yourself look stupid is quite another.

And I think it’s quite possible that Mulvaney did take Latin. He is Catholic. He went to a Catholic high school. And it’s not like he went to crappy southern colleges. He went to Georgetown for undergrad, and then UNC for law school. He shouldn’t be stupid. Nonetheless, I find it difficult to trust that he understands what credible means when he twice in but that quoted section references credible and then believe in such proximate discord.
You'd be amazed how stupid someone can be when their paycheck is dependent on them being so.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Nonetheless, I find it difficult to trust that he understands what credible means when he twice in but that quoted section references credible and then believe in such proximate discord.
You don't find it credible that he believes he can get away with it?
Davian, the faith is strong in this one.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Ancient

Quote:
You don't find it credible that he believes he can get away with it?
Davian, the faith is strong in this one.
Mulvaney is just a minor official in the Trump administration. I don’t care if he can get away with trying to remain ambiguous - trying to both continue supporting Moore, while not outright calling these women liars.

That ambiguity is hardly out of the ordinary for a politician. But he could have accomplished that without creating the impression that he didn’t understand what the word credible means. Especially considering that there is little point in him wading into this issue at all. He heads the OMB (the Budget Office), a position negligible enough that it was arguably a step down from his seat in the House. He perhaps just thought that he would face questions on the Trump/republican tax plan, and was just so unprepared for a question on Moore, that he rambled out an idiotic and incoherent response, but he still looked like a moron.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-20-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Ancient

Another woman has come forward to accuse Franken.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42056869

This one sounds similar to the stories about the Elder Bush’s MO during photos, which carries the possibility, like with Bush, that more of these stories will come out. This still isn’t as bad as what Moore or Trump did, but it still is inappropriate. I still think that he is unlikely to finish out his term.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Ancient

Franken may have gotten a bit lucky that this second accuser came out today (likewise Charlie Rose, though I think it's safe to say that Charlie Rose will get the axe soon), because this story is getting slightly buried by Trump seemingly intervening at the DOJ to block AT&T from buying Time Warner.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42058846

Quote:
The US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to block telecoms giant AT&T's $85.4bn acquisition of Time Warner, the owner of CNN and HBO.
The decision is a surprise since US anti-trust authorities rarely object to deals involving companies that do not directly compete.
Now, normally I'd assume that it would be the left, rather than the laissez-faire right that would have a potential problem with this, especially as...

Quote:
"Vertical mergers like this one are routinely approved because they benefit consumers without removing any competitor from the market. We see no legitimate reason for our merger to be treated differently."
How much actual benefit there ever is for consumers through merger seems typically at best ephemeral, even when it's not a case of direct competition. Nonetheless, had Obama done this I think that most of us would be of the opinion that this had been an altruistic decision. But with Trump? What possible justification would a republican have for stopping a vertical merger other than simply for the sake of a personal vendetta against CNN and HBO?

If nothing else, this is ideologically odd, and very politically suspicious.