art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Compare that to Karsa, who starts off as a rape-happy barbarian asshole, and evolves into something approaching noble.

Witness.
Sister Spite and Lady Envy also come to mind in terms of mellowing over the years (or millenia in their case), albeit in regards to less rapey violence. I found them both to be somewhat charming in the main series, but holy crap were they evil little monsters in their youth.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Anyway, I ought to reread Sanderson's WoT contributions, but I thought we all just missed that Rand became the Creator.
Either that, or the generally (in the WOT universe) held opinion that the DO had been locked away with perfect precision by the Creator was not quite as correct as the AS thought it was. But what are the odds of AS ever being wrong about anything?
So you may indeed be correct.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
It may have just been a combination of a paucity of notes on what to do with Logain, Flynn, and Narishma, coupled with a desire to make both a character and a skill that was wholly his own. Had it not been for all the foreshadowing of significance for both Logain and Narishma, he could, perhaps, have pulled that off. Instead it left the feeling that both characters had been cheated of their glory.
Yup. Also, there were (subtle) hints of Gateway glory to come for Aviendha, and she'd have been a good character to give Androl's giant-Gateway abilities.

Quote:
As an aside, has anyone started reading Oathbringer? Any good? Trying to decide what to read over the upcoming holiday.
I finished it. I found it overlong. Some sections genuinely seem to be as long as they are to simply up the page count. I won't say "nothing happens". Its just they don't come across as significant events, because they seem to impact the characters in no way.

The ending is typically epic, though I'm not sure there isn't too much overpowering of characters going on for this early in the series.

My biggest problem with the book is that it took some arcs regarding the Parshendi in directions where the thematic implications with regard to slavery, colonization and reparations are... controversial to say the least. And that would be fine, except I don't think Brandon actually wants the story to say what its currently saying. Either we're going to get one more "twist" that negates all this, in which case, boo; or Brandon is going to remain unaware of these implications, which is just going to be disappointing.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I finished it. I found it overlong. Some sections genuinely seem to be as long as they are to simply up the page count. I won't say "nothing happens". Its just they don't come across as significant events, because they seem to impact the characters in no way.

The ending is typically epic, though I'm not sure there isn't too much overpowering of characters going on for this early in the series.

My biggest problem with the book is that it took some arcs regarding the Parshendi in directions where the thematic implications with regard to slavery, colonization and reparations are... controversial to say the least. And that would be fine, except I don't think Brandon actually wants the story to say what its currently saying. Either we're going to get one more "twist" that negates all this, in which case, boo; or Brandon is going to remain unaware of these implications, which is just going to be disappointing.
hmm, I remember thinking in book 2 that all those Shallan confidence monologues were too long but in Oathbringer they paid off, I found. So maybe we'll get that in the next book for whatever bits you thought were overlong now? Although, I did think that some of the battle stuff was overly convoluted and stretched out. But then, I'm always more of a politicking-and-verbal-knife-stabbing kind of girl.

What with how much we were bashed over the head about the whole Parshendi thing, I doubt he's unaware of the implications and real-world parallels. I do wonder how he's going to resolve it though because... well, it's a sensitive subject. Then again, people who read tend to be opposed to slavery so I doubt he'll lose any fans if he takes the theme further. He will definitely make fans angry though if there's another twist.

I agree about he overpowering. But he's also making it very clear that what's happening now isn't even close to the magnitude of collective powers from the past. Like, they've a handful of Radiants that are in various stages of "completion", compared to the thousands that Urithiru could potentially house. I do hope that he doesn't turn to scaling up the masses, that tends to get boring. From what we've seen so far, each of the Radiants is deeply damaged, so there's plenty of opportunity to go deeper into that aspect: how do you build a functioning organization out of depressed lunatics with superpowers?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 12-08-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of the opinion that that is just BS's writing style...he does huge, overly long buildups where nothing really happens and then sprints to the finish. Pretty much all of his books have that issue or style depending on whether it bothers you as a reader I suppose.

I have not read Oathkeeper yet of course but it wouldn't surprise me if there were 400-500 pages where very little happens outside of world-building and character interactions.

And maybe a younger, precocious female who sounds exactly the same in every single book whether she's named Vin, Shallan, Siri, or Sarene.

Granted, I like his writing and own most of his books but its definitely something that sticks out to me.

Am I the only one that "hears" a certain voice for a character like that based on the way their dialogue is written? I assume that normal and I'm not descending into schizophrenia?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Am I the only one that "hears" a certain voice for a character like that based on the way their dialogue is written? I assume that normal and I'm not descending into schizophrenia?
That seems pretty normal. I tend to envision both the character and how they sound when Iím reading. Can be perhaps part of why if a story is turned into a movie, and youíve already read the book (along with excisions), the film version can often seem somewhat jarring, with certain characters seeming wrong compared to how you had created them in your own mind. If wot ever is made there will definitely also be an adjustment for me in terms of pronunciations, because I started reading without paying much attention to the pronunciation guides in the back, and at times simply intentionally ignoring RJís intended pronunciations because they seemed unnatural.

Along somewhat similar lines...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42237092
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

I'm pretty sure I'm the oddity of a reader; I am not a visual person so description of most kind mostly washes over me. I don't even have a lick of an idea what Caemlyn looks like, or Rand, or Egwene. Honestly my head is mostly blank when I read; which sounds not only counter intuitive but the complete opposite of every single person I know that reads.