art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I don't deny that there are special circumstances, but there are often special circumstances in elections like these and it still doesn't make a difference. This one got national attention but I can guarantee there was still significant apathy among left-leaning voters. There always is in the South. Victories change how people feel about voting, and that makes a difference. It was a fluke in Alabama, but what about Georgia, where the margins are much closer? How much of an impact will this victory have on apathetic voters there? Alabama is sending a Democrat to the US Senate, and that matters.
I'll agree that Georgia, North Carolina and Florida are definitely much more winnable than they were before. There are a good number of winnable districts in Texas too if the Dems want them and they could be far more competitive in LA, MS, and AL if they put some effort in. They really need to go back to the Howard Dean 50 state strategy and extend it beyond Presidential Election years.

If Podunk, MS is having an off-year April election for Dog Catcher, the local Dems should be putting a legit candidate up. The fact that they don't usually even bother is idiotic and shortsighted.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, Southern Democrats are perfectly willing, for the most part, to support pro-life candidates. That was a widespread reality in the South until the recent Tea Party purges of the Dixiecrats still in Congress. Dixiecrats often got over 60% of the vote because the Republicans were willing to vote for them in significant numbers.

Mind you, these are modern Dixiecrats who are usually polar opposites of the original Dixiecrats on racial justice. And usually pro-life. They know the priorities of voters on both sides.
Have you seen Religulous? Because this calls to mind Maher's interview with Mark Pryor, one of the last Deep South dems, a few years before he lost his seat in Arkansas to Tom Cotton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgVjw8kO4U
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Have you seen Religulous? Because this calls to mind Maher's interview with Mark Pryor, one of the last Deep South dems, a few years before he lost his seat in Arkansas to Tom Cotton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgVjw8kO4U
I'm not a fan of Maher. I tried to watch this but I don't like the little extras he puts in to mock Pryor; they're insulting to both Pryor and the intelligence of the viewer.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Maher. I tried to watch this but I don't like the little extras he puts in to mock Pryor; they're insulting to both Pryor and the intelligence of the viewer.
I picked the wrong link. Some of those were something that the youtube poster added, that weren't in the actual movie.

Here's the original version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv76-29hadA

It might not change your impression of the exchange if you don't like Maher, and feel sorry for Pryor. Maher was mocking him, but Pryor set himself up. It's likely the sort of thing where if you've liked, as I have, his old show on Comedy Central, and his HBO show, you'll probably enjoy the documentary. But if you think that Maher is a pompous jerk...
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I just haven't ever enjoyed his show. When I lived with my piano prof she used to have one of her doctoral students over and they both loved Maher and would watch it...but I couldn't get into it at all.
Old Today, 02:27 PM
Ancient

The war on consumers continues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42355666

Portugal may be a peek into the potential a la carte price gauging we should expect from Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast...

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...127-story.html

Quote:
That brings us to Portugal, whose internet system was highlighted by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Fremont) in an Oct. 26 tweet that promptly went viral.

Khanna’s tweet displayed the mobile internet service offerings from the Portuguese telecommunications company MEO. After paying a fee for basic service, subscribers can add any of five further options for about $6 per month, allowing an additional 10GB data allotment for the apps within the options: a “messaging” tier, which covers such services as instant messaging, Apple FaceTime, and Skype; “social,” with liberal access to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and so on; “video” (youTube, Netflix, etc.); “email and cloud” (Gmail, Apple’s iCloud); or “music” (Spotify, Pandora).
Quote:
The potential for abuse is obvious: The system gives ISPs the ability to set terms for any service’s inclusion in one of these special tiers. EU regulators have said they’ll be on the lookout for arrangements that disadvantage consumers, but will look at them on a case-by-case basis.

As it happens, that’s precisely the loophole that has existed in the U.S. market under the FCC’s vaunted net neutrality rule of 2015. At that time, the commission also said it would review zero-rating and other such arrangements on a case-by-case basis, but only after ISPs implemented them.

How has that worked? Lousily.

In early January, the FCC staff, in one of its last published reports before President Trump appointed Pai as chairman, concluded that zero-rating deals offered to broadband customers by AT&T and Verizon violate net neutrality principles. The deals “present significant risks to consumers and competition… because of network operators’ potentially unreasonable discrimination in favor of their own affiliates,” the staff reported.

“Absent effective oversight, these practices will become more widespread in the future,” the staff added.