art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): Khoram,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

An idea for a title for Trump's biography: Dummies for Deplorables. Should be a best seller.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like it’s one thing if a Latin student confuses semper and saepe, but I’d expect that the AG should at least know the difference between always and often in his own language...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.f2342102b927

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday that he has “always told the truth” in describing his knowledge of Trump campaign contacts with Russians
Quote:
When asked previously about whether he thought that surrogates from the Trump campaign had communications with the Russians, Sessions said, “I did not, and I’m not aware of anyone else that did, and I don’t believe it happened.”

Now, speaking before the House Judiciary Committee, Sessions said he recalled a March 2016 meeting with George Papadopoulos, the Trump campaign’s foreign policy adviser. Papadopoulos, in pleading guilty to lying to FBI agents, has admitted that he told Trump and other campaign officials, including Sessions, that he had contacts who could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.

“I do now recall the March 2016 meeting at Trump hotel that Mr. Papadopoulos attended, but I have no clear recollection of the details of what he said at that meeting,” Sessions said. “After reading his account, and to the best of my recollection...
I will give him this much credit, he doesn’t seem as stupid as most of the schmucks in Trump’s administration, but his constant caveats regarding his own recollection of his own complicity in the treason, won’t likely be enough to save him from perjury if Mueller manages to turn anyone else’s coat.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

"I have no recollection, Senator"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Latest Senate Tax "Cut" plan to "Help" the Middle Class: Why don't we repeal Obamacare to pay for this money handout to the wealthy? It's Brilliant!!!!

No seriously, that's what they're doing to pay for it. So, not only are most middle class households going to see a tax increase anyway, now they're gonna make it more expensive to get healthcare on top of that.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Just when you thought Roy Moore couldn't get any dumber...he's officially suing the media.

https://www.facebook.com/stevedeace/...type=3&theater

Um...good luck with that, Roy.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Just when you thought Roy Moore couldn't get any dumber...he's officially suing the media.

https://www.facebook.com/stevedeace/...type=3&theater

Um...good luck with that, Roy.
Did Luther Strange seriously just not do any opposition research on this guy??

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...e-gadsden-mall

Quote:
“Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday. (Wilson declined to divulge his sources.) Teresa Jones, a deputy district attorney for Etowah County in the early eighties, told CNN last week that “it was common knowledge that Roy dated high-school girls.” Jones told me that she couldn’t confirm the alleged mall banning, but said, “It’s a rumor I’ve heard for years.”
Old 11-15-2017, 04:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When asked previously about whether he thought that surrogates from the Trump campaign had communications with the Russians, Sessions said, “I did not, and I’m not aware of anyone else that did, and I don’t believe it happened.”

Now, speaking before the House Judiciary Committee, Sessions said he recalled a March 2016 meeting with George Papadopoulos, the Trump campaign’s foreign policy adviser. Papadopoulos, in pleading guilty to lying to FBI agents, has admitted that he told Trump and other campaign officials, including Sessions, that he had contacts who could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.

“I do now recall the March 2016 meeting at Trump hotel that Mr. Papadopoulos attended, but I have no clear recollection of the details of what he said at that meeting,” Sessions said. “After reading his account, and to the best of my recollection...
Kimon, all it takes for Sessions to have been completely truthful is simply that he was not aware at the time that Putin was Russian. So, do you think you could prove beyond reasonable doubt that Sessions had known this crucial detail?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Ancient

I mean, normally I’d say not qualified, but this is Alabama, so grading on a curve...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42001038

Quote:
One of President Donald Trump's judicial nominees is a ghost hunter who has written several novellas about paranormal activities.
The appointment of Brett Talley, 36, for a lifetime post as an Alabama federal judge is raising eyebrows because he has never tried a case.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Odds are that that guy is literate. Doesn't that mean that he is actually overqualified for Alabama?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Infidel has disabled reputation

This would be the perfect time for Mississippi to adopt a new state motto:

"We're not Alabama."
Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
This would be the perfect time for Mississippi to adopt a new state motto:

"We're not Alabama."
Sounds like Grand Wizard Hannity may be finally throwing Moore under the bus...

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-media-244943

Of course, that may only be because McConnell is seemingly trying to sell the Klan on the idea that they can replace Moore with Sessions (another bonafide Klansman), which will not only safeguard that seat for the KKK, but will free up Trump to try to nominate and even less ethical AG, who may finally agree to fire Mueller.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Of course, it isn't actually certain that Trump can get any nomination accepted, let alone approved, before impeachment starts. Trump's record on getting things done is amazing, but not really impressive, after all.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Ancient

Well, we can cross Al Franken off the list of likely dems for ‘20...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politi...ent/index.html
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politi...ent/index.html
He should definitely resign. Zero excuse.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Not quite the way I expected the swamp to drain, but if it works go for it.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Not quite the way I expected the swamp to drain, but if it works go for it.
Huge missed opportunity for the entire Democratic leadership in the Senate to make a principled stand. The only thing separating the Democrats from the GOP on this issue is the vast disparity in hypocrisy the "family values" GOP displays and then immediately tosses aside. This could have been a great moment for Democrats to draw a line in the sand - makes me think that huge numbers of the Washington establishment (and non-establishment, a la Trump and Moore) are complicit in this shit, which is appalling.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

What more do you want? Leading Dems in the Senate, including the other MN Senator, are calling for an ethics investigation into his behavior. Al Franken himself in his apology said he would gladly cooperate with such an investigation.

Now, I'm not taking sides here, but compare that reaction to the flat-out denial Moore has made of any wrongdoing in any of the situations he's been accused of doing. The reactions are night and day different.

Quote:
I agree with the latter part, but are you serious about the first part? No way this merits a resignation. I'm not defending groping a sleeping woman or forcibly demanding she kiss you under the pretense of rehearsing a skit. But context matters. If this came to light outside of the zeitgeist we're in of sexual harassment claims coming to the surface in historical fashion, would you be saying the same thing? It's arguable, and we will never know for sure, but I suspect the answer is no.

Quote:
I don't think so. Franken made the right apology in a timely fashion. The woman who made the claims forgave him. It should be painfully obvious based on the results of the election last year that personal failings do not prevent someone from winning elections. This will be a small blip in his political career - just like Obama admitting to doing cocaine.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
What more do you want? Leading Dems in the Senate, including the other MN Senator, are calling for an ethics investigation into his behavior. Al Franken himself in his apology said he would gladly cooperate with such an investigation.

Now, I'm not taking sides here, but compare that reaction to the flat-out denial Moore has made of any wrongdoing in any of the situations he's been accused of doing. The reactions are night and day different.

I agree with the latter part, but are you serious about the first part? No way this merits a resignation. I'm not defending groping a sleeping woman or forcibly demanding she kiss you under the pretense of rehearsing a skit. But context matters. If this came to light outside of the zeitgeist we're in of sexual harassment claims coming to the surface in historical fashion, would you be saying the same thing? It's arguable, and we will never know for sure, but I suspect the answer is no.

I don't think so. Franken made the right apology in a timely fashion. The woman who made the claims forgave him. It should be painfully obvious based on the results of the election last year that personal failings do not prevent someone from winning elections. This will be a small blip in his political career - just like Obama admitting to doing cocaine.
That photo is quite damning evidence. If it was just the skit rehearsal, his apology would have been sufficient, and with ‘20 far enough off on the horizon, he could perhaps have still been a viable candidate for the presidency. But with that photo? Any hope for the presidency is gone. And just holding onto his seat? He isn’t up for re-election until ‘20, but whether he can survive until then is very much an open question.

Republicans have mostly (at least outside of Trump, Bannon, and most lower tier Alabama republicans) turned, finally, on Moore. With Moore it is due to the increasingly overwhelming numbers of women coming forward with stories. There is no longer any plausible deniability. But there is no ironclad physical evidence.

But with Franken? That photo seems to me to be the death knell to his career. Were it but the inappropriate skit I think it likely that there would be a far more varied response from his dem colleagues. He can’t deny that photo though. Hence the universal condemnation. The fact that his colleagues are currently calling for an ethics investigation and just being somewhat noncommittal concerning immediate need for him to resign, the fact that none are denying that this should perhaps lead to resignation or expulsion is telling in of itself. No one is defending him.

This response seems designed with dual purpose, to give time in case more women come forward with similar stories (which would immeidately require his resignation), or to just drop the hint that it is time for Franken to just fall on his own sword.

If no other women do come forward? Maybe this simmers down and he can hold onto his seat till ‘20. But I don’t see how he can even run for re-election now. I think there’s a good chance that he resigns before Christmas. Maybe before Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

There is the very scanty and not at all convincing "justification" (if you can call it that) that Franken posed for the picture as a very crude attempt at humor.

Again, context matters. While I'm aware that this might come across as defending Franken, that's not my intention. I'm not defending his actions or trying to excuse them in any way. But that picture was taken years ago. The big reason I personally don't think this is the end of his political career is that he owned up to it immediately, made a sincere and heartfelt apology to the victim, and is a willing participant in the ethics investigation (or at least that's what he said in his statement). If the picture was more recent, that says more about his character now. As it stands, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here that this was not an incident indicative of a pattern of abuse and rather a one time lack of judgment on his part. People make mistakes. If we call for the resignation of every elected official who has acted immorally, we're going to have a hard time electing anyone.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
That photo is quite damning evidence. If it was just the skit rehearsal, his apology would have been sufficient, and with ‘20 far enough off on the horizon, he could perhaps have still been a viable candidate for the presidency. But with that photo? Any hope for the presidency is gone. And just holding onto his seat? He isn’t up for re-election until ‘20, but whether he can survive until then is very much an open question.

Republicans have mostly (at least outside of Trump, Bannon, and most lower tier Alabama republicans) turned, finally, on Moore. With Moore it is due to the increasingly overwhelming numbers of women coming forward with stories. There is no longer any plausible deniability. But there is no ironclad physical evidence.

But with Franken? That photo seems to me to be the death knell to his career. Were it but the inappropriate skit I think it likely that there would be a far more varied response from his dem colleagues. He can’t deny that photo though. Hence the universal condemnation. The fact that his colleagues are currently calling for an ethics investigation and just being somewhat noncommittal concerning immediate need for him to resign, the fact that none are denying that this should perhaps lead to resignation or expulsion is telling in of itself. No one is defending him.

This response seems designed with dual purpose, to give time in case more women come forward with similar stories (which would immeidately require his resignation), or to just drop the hint that it is time for Franken to just fall on his own sword.

If no other women do come forward? Maybe this simmers down and he can hold onto his seat till ‘20. But I don’t see how he can even run for re-election now. I think there’s a good chance that he resigns before Christmas. Maybe before Thanksgiving.
One guy is accused of sexually-assaulting teenage girls? Might still get elected. Frankin does a stupid thing? Career is over.

I know that grading on a curve is a thing, but this is a bit much, don't you think?