art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Elder

Yuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really niceYuri33 is just really nice
Default Minor characters in aMoL

(Since the General section is a little slow, I thought I try throwing out this thread. With the move to the board, we need a little momentum!)

Prior to KoD, Furyk Karede had a minor part in the series. His scenes helped RJ foreshadow a little, but he wasn't absolutely necessary. By all indications, RJ was setting Karede up for an important role later on, which we obviously know now to be "rescuing" Tuon. In KoD, he went from a bit player to a major vehicle for moving the Mat/Tuon thread forward. He remains a minor character, but the events in KoD couldn't have been effectively told without him.

We already know that the central characters in this series will remain the primary drivers of the last book. What I'm wondering is what minor characters do you expect to be more heavily used to advance the plot? Which characters do you expect to have significantly more screen time in aMoL?

Some of my top candidates:

1) Moiraine: This first one is obvious. She's been trapped all this time, yet we know she'll be rescued. It would be a shame to bring her back only to have her play a small part.

2) Alivia: She's obviously fated to play a critical part in TG (helping Rand die), but for the most part she's simply been portrayed as a (powerful) bodyguard. I'm hoping aMoL sees a little more character development for her (yes, she's been a damane for 400+ years, but she's grown a lot in a very short time). That way her fated role makes more personal sense rather than simply being a convenient plot tool.

3) Verin: Her methods and motives have gathered so much interest over the series. We already know that RJ loves to utilize her PoV, but for the most part, she's always been working in the shadows. I'd like to see her play a more heavy-handed role (and in exchange, Cadsuande a less heavy-handed role), just as she did in tGH.

4) Davram Bashere: All of the Great Captains will obviously have a part to play since they need to lead the forces of Light in TG. But of these generals, Bashere has the most ties with the main characters. He's been Rand's right hand man, and he's got stuff with Perrin+Faile to resolve. If there's any "on the battlefield" PoV scenes, especially of critical battles, Bashere is my top narrative candidate. Plus, the more Bashere we get, the more Diera we get, and to me, she's one of RJ's best-written minor characters.

5) Demandred: To me, probably the most interesting of all the Forsaken. Moridin is obviously the alpha male (and a central character), but it seems like the DO singled Demandred out to do some important things behind the scenes. With one book left, and as the only Forsaken not to have major scene with him as a lead, it would be nice to spend some significant screen time with him. We don't need his PoV (though it would be nice), but at least some scenes where he gets actually do something on stage. I can easily imagine scenes where his inner thoughts help move the Shadow's side of the plot forward.

I'm sure there's more that I missed. Perhaps RJ simply intended for some of these character's threads to resolve without significantly impacting the narrative. To me, that would be a shame. I'm trying to think of interesting ways these minor characters (and others I've missed) can be like Karede--an important vehicle for moving the story forward.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Ancient

the silent speaker has a spectacular aura aboutthe silent speaker has a spectacular aura about

How about Loial? He's got to rally the Ogier now or never.

Always bring a knife to a gunfight. Bring a gun also.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Ancient

the silent speaker has a spectacular aura aboutthe silent speaker has a spectacular aura about

Aww, the board thinks I'm a youngling. That's cute.

Always bring a knife to a gunfight. Bring a gun also.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

very cute.

Since everyone's running screaming for Arad Domon, i'm guessing Rodel Ituralde will move up from bit part to plot mover.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri33
4) Davram Bashere: All of the Great Captains will obviously have a part to play since they need to lead the forces of Light in TG. But of these generals, Bashere has the most ties with the main characters. He's been Rand's right hand man, and he's got stuff with Perrin+Faile to resolve. If there's any "on the battlefield" PoV scenes, especially of critical battles, Bashere is my top narrative candidate. Plus, the more Bashere we get, the more Diera we get, and to me, she's one of RJ's best-written minor characters.
Quote:
From Encyclopedia WOT:
TFoH,Ch27 - The five great captains of the Westlands are Agelmar Jagad, Davram Bashere, Gareth Bryne, Pedron Niall and Rodel Ituralde of Arad Doman.
Pedron Naill has been replaced on the list by either Mat or Lan, but the rest are pretty much in position for their part(s) in T'G.

Rodel Ituralde is in Arad Doman skirmishing with the Seanchan, but in position to take command of the are between the mountains of mist and the Aryth Ocean.

Mat was last seen crossing the border into Murandy, which puts him in position to command the Ghealdan/Murandy sector from the MOuntains of Mist to the Manatherendrelle River. (The TOG and Moiraine's rescue is on the Mantherendrelle.)

Agelmar Jagad is with the Borderland Rulers, last seenmoving from the Bream wood towards Murandy in search of Rand. That put him in positionto command the sector from the Mnatherendrelle River to the Bream Wood.

Gareth Bryne is commanding Egwene's army at Tar Valon and in positionot command from the Caralain Grass to Kinslayer's dagger.

Lan is headed for Tarwin's Gap to anchor the north east end of the line.

And last but not least, Davram Bashere, with the Legion of the Dragon and the Asha'man has a mobile reserve that is the only force on the planet trained to move through gateways effectively and able to reinforce any point in the Westlands. (or the world for that matter.)

I suspect that each and every Great Captain (and a few others) will get a POV of their portion of T'G.

BG Tyree, and Furyk Karede will likely represent the Seanchan military POVs. With a cameo appearance by Air Captain Yulan as the Seanchan expeditionary force in Tar Valon team up with Gareth Bryne to fight Shadowspawn.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Elder

Dragon will become famous soon enough

One can expect that Noal - and even BS has basically admitted that he is Farstrider - will be one of the minor characters who will advance the plot even more.

It seems most likely that he will join Mat & Thom on their rescue mission and help them with his experience to free Moiraine.

We also know from ACoS that he has to remember something crucial, that he apparently forgot due to Compulsion.

Noal's remembering of those memories could e.g. be triggered if he either meets the person who used Compulsion on him (like Nynaeve did in TSR seeing Moghedien), or a person linked to his possible orders (like Carridin did in ACoS seeing Mat).

Maybe he will reveal then something important about the Shadow and/or the Prophecies.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I wouldn't be surprised if Farstrider dies during Moiraine's rescue.

I think Alviarin's ultimate downfall will occur in book 12, and no one's mentioned Logain yet. He'll obviously have a good part in the book. We should be seeing Hurin for the first time since early book 3, and I hope Tam will stay with Perrin and get some more time on screen (including a Rand reunion).
Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Terez wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Farstrider dies during Moiraine's rescue.

Yeah...I can see that happening...there's no real point to his character after that and he could have a noble exit.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression mainly from the fact that she saw all those different possibilities for her rescue, and we know that she and Thom and Mat won't die, from Min's viewings etc. If someone's going to die, it has to be Farstrider.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup...it just kinda makes sense that Noal wouldn't make it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I can see Noal die.

Btw, did I think you forgot Lan in the original list.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I wouldn't consider Lan or Loiail as minor characters.

I really hope Logain gets a lot of airtime- he's one of my favourites and I'd love to see more of him.

Also, I am looking forward to Aludra's cannons. Although I don't think this will propel her to the forefront per se- it is a plot line fulfillment I anticipate eagerly.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Elder

Dragon will become famous soon enough

While it certainly has some merit that the great hero Farstrider might die on his last adventure, I actually would like to have him meet one of the other important Malkieri around, namely Lan or even Slayer (in his Isam form).

As said, also something will certainly happen concerning Noal's forgotten/suppressed memories and possibly his history with Ishamael. Furthermore, the CoT header links Farstrider to the Prophecies, since he translated them.

Don't really see yet, how these things - which were obviously alluded to in CoT and KoD - could come into play before or during Moiraine's rescue, but who knows..

Another character who will most likely play again a more important part in AMoL is Gawyn, because the Dreams that he will either save or kill Egwene have yet to come true.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

The Compulsion could come into the rescue if it's in Noal's point of view. Even if it's not, we could see something about it...he thinks about how he's running out of time, and I'm wondering if that's a Compelled order or some vestige of his purpose before he was captured.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
The Compulsion could come into the rescue if it's in Noal's point of view. Even if it's not, we could see something about it...he thinks about how he's running out of time, and I'm wondering if that's a Compelled order or some vestige of his purpose before he was captured.
I wonder if he's still even under compulsion...afteralll Ishy did that like 15 years in the past...

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

He might be; he might not be. Carridin had Compulsion orders for things far into the future, and those orders were hidden from his awareness, only to be triggered at the important time. He still, after all this time (might not have been so long, really) shows signs of Compulsion - I think even more than Morgase. That's saying something, isn't it? Also, there's some reason to believe that he was in Graendal's clutches rather recently.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Minor characters who become bigger? Well firstly... I don't see Moiraine as minor. She's fallen off, but her overall role in the series, in terms of screen time and importance, rivals that of Min. But she'll get big again, I think.

Other than that, I don't know. Jordan's sometimes annoying habit of naming every single random anyone happens across makes it difficult. But I have a hunch about these guys.

Tallanvor - he's been talked about too much to just sit around and be Morgase's pretty-boy. He's been present before basically anyone except the big 3 and their direct supporting cast. RJ must have had something planned.

Aludra - this Bellfounder business is going somewhere. She's going somewhere. Maybe not huge... but important. Cannon are a big invention.

Now ones I"m certain will be big.

Berelain - lots of foreshadowing and prophecies about her. Who is the man in white? When does the Faile vs. Berelain controversy come to a head?

Logain - we know he ends up being Rand's #2 guy, and is already well on his way.

Mazrim Taim - His role has been indirect thus far, but I'm waiting for a battle for the hearts and minds of the Black Tower between him and Rand. Oooh, or maybe him and Logain... I guess we'll RAFO.

Masema - duh.

For the most part, the minor characters are going to stay that way; there is a group of 20-50 characters who crop up in person or in rumor in every book. You know they're all gonna be there at some point in this one too, even if their appearance is limited to "Wow, Aludra invented some cannons finally... lets sop talking about her now."

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Tam to really come to prominence and marry Moiraine as i so expertly predicted half way through reading tEotW
Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

wait wait wait.... Tam or Thom?

If Tam marries her... I will bow down to you and call you god himself for the mst unlikely, but awesome, prediction in history.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita

I really hope Logain gets a lot of airtime- he's one of my favourites and I'd love to see more of him.

I'm sure you would.

I do agree though. I would like to see Logain vs. Taim.

Also, I would love to see the reunion of Rand and Tam as well.