art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Youngling

gen is an unknown quantity at this point

It just felt kind of wrong/bad that her prudish aunts would tell her such things considering how little they have seemed to tell Min about sex at all. Telling her to say that lovemaking (which would by default mean sex in marriage) with her husband isn't that great does sound a bit weird advice. I don't know, it just caught my eye on the read and I wanted to hear opinions if I was missing some deeper thing in it. And I don't know how flattering it would be for Rand that Min says she's not too keen on making love, fresh injuries or not. Anyways, thank you for answering.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
It just felt kind of wrong/bad that her prudish aunts would tell her such things considering how little they have seemed to tell Min about sex at all.
I don't recall any evidence that they were prudish?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
ACOS, Ch. 35

The aunts who had raised her were gentle, kind women, but they had strong notions of proper behavior. They had disapproved of her wearing breeches, disapproved of her working in stables, the job she loved best, since it brought her into contact with horses. There was no question what they would think of comforting, with a man she was not married to. If they ever found out, they would ride all the way from Baerlon just to skin her. And him, too, of course.
Those aunts really need to be told about Rand, Elayne and Avi ASAP, should be fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't say they were too prudish to talk about sex; just that it would have been in the context of marriage. In the context of the real-world era RJ was borrowing from, sex talk and even popular pamphlets were not uncommon, right? But it was all about marriage. Advice from matrons to maidens on how to deal with men. Of course, Min's three aunts are maiden if I recall...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

That reminds me of something I've always wondered about when reading Min's POVs.

What happened to Min's parents? She mentions her father and aunts, but never says what happened to any of them (unless I completely blanked something).
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she never had any parents at all.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Maybe she never had any parents at all.
So she was just mined from one one of those mines, initily raised by the guy who found her, and then sent off randomly to live with his sisters?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe the Pattern arranged it so Rand wouldn't have to deal with too many in-laws.

This got me curious about Aviendha's parents. Are they mentioned at all?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post

No, but we have seen her sister (Niella), and her aunt (Lian - one of Rhuarc's wives).
Old 06-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Elder

Yeah, I remember that.

There was a mention during Avi's first-sister ceremony from one of the WO “I stand for Aviendha’s mother, who cannot be here", and given that the WO had Travelling available, may be a clue that she's dead. On maybe the presense of the mother was not really necessary for the ceremony and not worth the bother of going to the Waste, who knows...
Old 06-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
What happened to Min's parents? She mentions her father and aunts, but never says what happened to any of them (unless I completely blanked something).
It is stated that her father died, but it isn't explicitly stated how he died. It was then that she was taken in by her aunts, so presumably her mother was also dead by that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Lord of Chaos
CHAPTER: 41 - A Threat

It was not the Aiel who kept Min sitting there, however. Not entirely, though she had heard all sorts of terrible stories about black-veiled Aiel. Her coat and breeches were the finest, softest wool that could be found in Salidar, in a pale rose, with tiny blue-and-white flowers embroidered on lapels and cuffs and down the outsides of the legs. Her shirt was cut like a boy's too, but in cream silk. In Baerlon, after her father died, her aunts had tried to make her into what they called a decent proper woman, though maybe her Aunt Miren had understood that after ten years running about the mines in boys' clothes, it might be too late to stuff her into dresses. They had tried, even so, and she had fought them as stubbornly as she refused to learn to wield a needle. Aside from that unfortunate episode serving tables at The Miners' Rest - a rough place, but she had not stayed long; Rana, Jan and Miren had seen to that emphatically when they found out, and no matter that she was twenty then - aside from that one time, she had never worn a dress willingly. Now she was thinking that maybe she should have had one made instead of this coat and breeches. A dress in silk, cut snug at the bodice and low, and...
We do know that Min's mother named her Elmindreda, but that's about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 1 - Seeds of Shadow

"So you are Elmindreda, are you?" Leane said briskly. She was always brisk. "I must say you look it more in that dress than in your usual... garb."

"Just Min, Leane Sedai, if you please." Min managed to keep her face straight, but it was difficult not to glare. The Keeper's voice had held too much amusement. If her mother had had to name her after someone in a story, why did it have to be a woman who seemed to spend most of her time sighing at men, when she was not inspiring them to compose songs about her eyes, or her smile?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Elder

Okay thanks for that, I guess I keep missing that part.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
Aviendha mentioned her mother in TOM when Nakomi showed up, but I wonder if Brandon just threw that in because he (like many of us) thought it odd that Aviendha never talked about her parents. Also, in TSR she mentioned that Lian is her mother's sister.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

New question: does anyone know where the name Lanfear comes from, in a real world sources-and-references sense? The only thing I can think of that's close is the French "l'enfer" for hell, but a creature called a Clanfear appears in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, so I was hoping there's some other citation.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice
Default WoT charity names

Question 1:

Couple of years ago a charity auction was held for readers to get their names in the book. I never followed this auction/drawing to the end. A quick googling revealed this:

Quote:
WoT Fundraiser Winners Announced
April 19th, 2009

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Wheel of Time Charity Fundraiser for Heifer International!

We collectively raised $44,619.94 for the charity, making us the second largest fundraiser that happened in this time frame. The truly amazing part, however, is the amount of people who donated. We had over 830 people participate, which makes us the largest team of donors at Heifer in this time frame (in comparison, the higher earning group had only 13 donors). We truly have shown a cooperative spirit and have made an exceptional difference by banding together. Thanks to everyone who participated!

I would also like to thank Rachel Little for her help in processing so much of the data for this fundraiser. And, of course, we’d like to thank Brandon for allowing us to organize this event.

THE WINNERS OF THE GENERAL DONATION DRAWING!

We would like to congratulate Tina Wagner and Anthony Aziz! Your names were drawn on Saturday night at Jordan*Con. I’ll be contacting you soon with details. You will be named characters, with physical descriptions, representing all of us as Officers in the Last Battle.

THE WINNER OF THE SILENT AUCTION!

We would like to congratulate Brian Neff, who had the winning bid of $15,200. Mr. Neff will be working with Brandon to be a unique character in “A Memory of Light.”

BUT…. I DIDN’T WIN AND I AM BUMMED

Of course, all of us who participated will be represented generally by a military group fighting in the last battle. But you’ll be extra pleased to know that Mr. Sanderson isn’t leaving it at that. He has a lot of character names to create, and he has taken the list of all donors. He will occassionally pull another name from the bag and use that name as inspiration for another character name. While these will not be described as you, you may yet still have a chance to see a variation of your name in the books.

Thank you all for participation!
So are Tina Wagner, Anthony Aziz and Brian Neff the only "real" winners in this or am I missing something? I had the rather strong (and false it seems) impression that there would have been more slots. Is the list of donors (the name pool) available somewhere? I didn't participate, but am interested to see how this turns out.

Question 2:

It's probably mentioned in the books, and I have a hazy recollection that the range of years Mat has memories of is mentioned, but does Mat have memories of War of Power? I'm interested because I was collecting a list of people who have actually lived during that are still in the game. It's a pretty short list. Am I missing anyone?
  • Ishy / Moridin
  • Demandred
  • Graendal
  • Moggy
  • Mesaana (just needs Dr. Moridin to administer a little TP healing to bring back memories)
  • Lanfear / Cyndane
  • Lews Therin
  • Birgitte?
  • Gaidal Cain / Olver? Not a debate if GC = Ollie, but a possibility.

Last edited by looqas; 06-06-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added a question
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Elder

I can actually answer your second question.

Mat has pointed out that he has memories from the Trolloc Wars on down to the 100 Year War (I think that's the right name). He also has personal memories from Manethren, but has not mentioned anything prior to the Trolloc Wars.

And I think there is a quote that said that Olver is not GC, and that Olver was partially a red-herring for that.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
I'm interested because I was collecting a list of people who have actually lived during that are still in the game. It's a pretty short list. Am I missing anyone?
  • Ishy / Moridin
  • Demandred
  • Graendal
  • Moggy
  • Mesaana (just needs Dr. Moridin to administer a little TP healing to bring back memories)
  • Lanfear / Cyndane
  • Lews Therin
  • Birgitte?
Burn my eyes, but there might be a ter'angreal - say forgotten somewhere in the Waste - that allows one to experience past lives back to the War of Power. Why, there could be a dozen Clan chieftains plodding about with memories of that time rattling about their skulls. But who would trust anything those savages recall?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Neff=Naeff?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
Question 1:

Couple of years ago a charity auction was held for readers to get their names in the book. I never followed this auction/drawing to the end. A quick googling revealed this:

So are Tina Wagner, Anthony Aziz and Brian Neff the only "real" winners in this or am I missing something? I had the rather strong (and false it seems) impression that there would have been more slots. Is the list of donors (the name pool) available somewhere? I didn't participate, but am interested to see how this turns out.

Question 2:

It's probably mentioned in the books, and I have a hazy recollection that the range of years Mat has memories of is mentioned, but does Mat have memories of War of Power? I'm interested because I was collecting a list of people who have actually lived during that are still in the game. It's a pretty short list. Am I missing anyone?
  • Ishy / Moridin
  • Demandred
  • Graendal
  • Moggy
  • Lanfear / Cyndane
  • Lews Therin
  • Birgitte?

Mat's earliest memories start about 400-500 years before the Trolloc wars and end with Hawkwing.

tFoH chptr 22

Last edited by finnssss; 06-06-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiramon View Post
Burn my eyes, but there might be a ter'angreal - say forgotten somewhere in the Waste - that allows one to experience past lives back to the War of Power. Why, there could be a dozen Clan chieftains plodding about with memories of that time rattling about their skulls. But who would trust anything those savages recall?
Some even claim that some women have used that ter'angreal too. Go figure.