art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Youngling

Xevus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Not any more. As in, RJ had them tying off gateways earlier, and then he changed it in KOD, apparently because of the metro problem (which Brandon has mentioned in interview). But it was changed rather ungracefully from what I saw, unless the bits about tying them off were removed in later editions.
Could you please direct me (or quote) to relevant piece in KOD ?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

got one. been doing my first re-read in ages and did Thom kill Galldrian and start the civil war in TGH or did I just miss something obvious again?

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he did. That was intuitively obvious to the most casual reader.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Yes, he did. That was intuitively obvious to the most casual reader.
yeah. I always figured he did it, but as far as I can remember we never hear it straight out. just that he'd be dead before he got within 100 feet of the king

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Mine either got lost in the shuffle, or nobody knew, so I'll be irritating and ask it again: Does anyone know where the name Lanfear comes from, in a real world sense?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
yeah. I always figured he did it, but as far as I can remember we never hear it straight out. just that he'd be dead before he got within 100 feet of the king
It's almost spelled out in ToM when Thom meets Elayne and she pardons him for crimes in Andor and Cairhien and Thom remarks that where did she learn that caper (in Cairhien). Strong implication and logically the only plausible criminal thing Thom could have done in Cairhien deserving a pardon is killing off Galldrian. Sure it would not hold water in court, but it's for the readers benefit only to include the Cairhien bit.

Last edited by looqas; 06-07-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

This bit bothered me a bit - I don't see a plausible way for Elayne to know it was Thom who killed Galldrian. It's hardly common knowledge. Nobody is really chasing Thom for this, for example, and he doesn't seem bothered by the chance of the Riatin House sending assassins after him or something like that, he hasn't assumed an alias or tried to chang the way he looked. Thom is too good to leave witnesses.

Besides, it was a crime committed in another realm anyway which Elayne at this point was not Queen of - so why give pardon at all, seems pointless.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
This bit bothered me a bit - I don't see a plausible way for Elayne to know it was Thom who killed Galldrian. It's hardly common knowledge. Nobody is really chasing Thom for this, for example, and he doesn't seem bothered by the chance of the Riatin House sending assassins after him or something like that, he hasn't assumed an alias or tried to chang the way he looked. Thom is too good to leave witnesses.

Besides, it was a crime committed in another realm anyway which Elayne at this point was not Queen of - so why give pardon at all, seems pointless.
Because at this point she is, or is claiming to be, Queen of Cairhien as well - therefore she would be in charge of pardons. It's an early sign that she IS going to stake a claim to the throne of Cairhien.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
This bit bothered me a bit - I don't see a plausible way for Elayne to know it was Thom who killed Galldrian. It's hardly common knowledge.
I agree; he only told Zera about it. It's possible that she gossiped, but she doesn't seem the gossiping type. I assumed one of these:

1) Brandon blipped.
2) Elayne was referring to the murder of her father, and she doesn't know for sure where it happened.
3) She was just being nice and playing it safe.
4) One of the Houses had a warrant for his arrest for some reason or another - he did manage to piss a few of them off by talking to Rand at Barthanes' place.
5) Zera gossiped. Which would make it all the more cool when Thom becomes king (screw you Elayne).
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Mine either got lost in the shuffle, or nobody knew, so I'll be irritating and ask it again: Does anyone know where the name Lanfear comes from, in a real world sense?
WoT FAQ suggests that it's derived from the French word for Hell: "l'enfer."

It could well be, but it could also be that RJ made it up all on his own, since Lanfear was the only Chosen to make up her own alias.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Why do the Tairens and Illianers hate eachother? As in, when did it all start?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Why do the Tairens and Illianers hate eachother? As in, when did it all start?
They hate each other because they are rivals for the position of Biggest Port In The South. And that'll have started either in the final stages of the Breaking, or right afterwards.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
They hate each other because they are rivals for the position of Biggest Port In The South. And that'll have started either in the final stages of the Breaking, or right afterwards.
I thought Ebou Dar in Alatara had the largest port in the South?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

No, though it is an important one. All three ports are important because their major rivers reach to different geographical areas. There's no indication which is the most important that I can recall, but Tear seems to be the most successful despite what a pain in the ass it is for traders, what with the Fingers and the lack of any trading posts south of the city.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, though it is an important one. All three ports are important because their major rivers reach to different geographical areas. There's no indication which is the most important that I can recall, but Tear seems to be the most successful despite what a pain in the ass it is for traders, what with the Fingers and the lack of any trading posts south of the city.
The BWB claims that Tear is the greatest port on the Sea of Storms. That doesn't tell us which of the other two, Illian or Ebou Dar, would be the largest (I think it a fair assumption that Mayene's port is smaller) of the other major ports on that sea, but Mayene would seem to be the most important rival in terms of shipping concerns for the Tairens - probably a combination of direct competition in the oil trade, but also a rival for trade with the Far East (Shara). Likely long-standing border conflicts play a greater role in the rivalry between Tear and Illian than shipping concerns, as their navigable rivers feed different sections of the mainland.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I agree; he only told Zera about it. It's possible that she gossiped, but she doesn't seem the gossiping type. I assumed one of these:

1) Brandon blipped.
2) Elayne was referring to the murder of her father, and she doesn't know for sure where it happened.
3) She was just being nice and playing it safe.
4) One of the Houses had a warrant for his arrest for some reason or another - he did manage to piss a few of them off by talking to Rand at Barthanes' place.
5) Zera gossiped. Which would make it all the more cool when Thom becomes king (screw you Elayne).
The first option seems the most likely to me. The second is really unlikely - nothing in Elayne's PoV indicates she knows Thom has killed her father. Even Morgase doesn't seem to know that Taringail was assassinated.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Youngling

Lightning is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is one that I've always been wondering about. Does Rand have any blood relatives among the Aiel?

His mom was obviously Andoran and we know Luc is his actual uncle, and he really doesn't have living relations on that side. (which reminds me, did that house just die out? What happened to all their lands and stuff?)

But his father Janduin must have had some relations. I mean for one thing as a clan chief he must have had a wife even before Rand's mom came along. If not some sort of siblings or cousins or something. Seems to me there must be at least a dozen cousins and second cousins and stuff out there, if not some half brothers and sisters.

The thing I could never understand is how Rand never asked around about that. All he did was ask who his parents were the one time and he never mentions them again. Didn't he ever wonder if the people he is seeing on a daily basis especially the Tardaad are related to him? Is it just me or is that a rather odd reaction?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post

His mom was obviously Andoran and we know Luc is his actual uncle, and he really doesn't have living relations on that side. (which reminds me, did that house just die out? What happened to all their lands and stuff?)
House Mantear is still extant. They supported Elayne during the Succession. We only know of two living members of the House (well besides Rand, Galad, and Luc anyway) - Perival (the 12 year old High Seat) and Willin (his guardian). Unclear just how closely related they are to Rand.

Last edited by Kimon; 06-07-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Youngling

Lightning is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Perival (the 12 year old High Seat) and Willin (his guardian). Unclear just how closely related they are to Rand.
Why didn't Galad become the the high seat? He is the obvious heir to the house after Rands mom and uncle go MIA.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Why didn't Galad become the the high seat? He is the obvious heir to the house after Rands mom and uncle go MIA.
Because he's Lord Galadedrid of House Damodred and not in the succession of House Mantear.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.