art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

He was practically a toddler when tigraine died, so likely someone else took over. I don't think his damodred name kept him out of the running. And by the time he came of age, he was adopted by morgase so if he was high seat morgase might be seen as having power over two houses.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
The first option seems the most likely to me. The second is really unlikely - nothing in Elayne's PoV indicates she knows Thom has killed her father.
Elayne: "You killed my father!"
Thom: "No Elayne, I ..."

Come to think of it: it would be interesting to read Galad's reaction.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Gawyn: "Cool, now I have another parent to avenge, I was starting to miss all the anger and angst..."
Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
He was practically a toddler when tigraine died, so likely someone else took over. I don't think his damodred name kept him out of the running. And by the time he came of age, he was adopted by morgase so if he was high seat morgase might be seen as having power over two houses.

No, you're right, it was the whole him having a penis that kept him out of it.

They only have Queens in Andor son lol
Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

The question was about House Mantear though, where his gender would not prohibit Galad from succeeding. I can only think his ties to Cairhien kept him from becomming high seat.

And, Galad is still alive, so Rand does have a half-brother still alive from his mother's side. Its one of the storylines I've been waiting to see come full circle finally, Galad and Rand meeting again, with Galad knowing who Rand is. (iirc, Rand knows at this point?) I don't think they've met since tEotW.

Last edited by Heinz; 06-08-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
The question was about House Mantear though, where his gender would not prohibit Galad from succeeding. I can only think his ties to Cairhien kept him from becomming high seat.
I guess the real question would be where would Taringail fit in after Tigraine's disappearance. Wouldn't he have become the defacto head of House Mantear?
Which he, along with Galad, then gave up when he married into House Trakand and Galad's subsequent adoption?

I dunno, Royal bloodlines are confusing as shit imo.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnssss View Post
I guess the real question would be where would Taringail fit in after Tigraine's disappearance. Wouldn't he have become the defacto head of House Mantear?
Which he, along with Galad, then gave up when he married into House Trakand and Galad's subsequent adoption?

I dunno, Royal bloodlines are confusing as shit imo.
Tarangail was of House Damodred, not Mantear. Galad could presumably have been adopted into House Mantear and made their seat, but presumably at the time they had other options, and so when Tarangail married Morgase, she adopted him, but allowed him to remain a part of the Damodred gens so that Tarangail could maintain his dream of making Galad king of Cairhien and then a daughter queen of Andor.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

I've been interested in geography and populations and such since I was a little kid, so I have a question: Has anyone compiled/calculated statistics/figures about the population of the countries, land areas, population of the cities etc. ?

The books themselves do not give answers easily, but I figure some HCFF must have done some calculations even based on the rather in adequate world map
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
I've been interested in geography and populations and such since I was a little kid, so I have a question: Has anyone compiled/calculated statistics/figures about the population of the countries, land areas, population of the cities etc. ?

The books themselves do not give answers easily, but I figure some HCFF must have done some calculations even based on the rather in adequate world map
Just a guesstimate, but I think that the major cities (Caemlyn, Tear, Illian, etc.) could have around 1 million people in them. Considering that in the real world, such cities as Rome, Alexandria, the capital of the Aztec empire, and multiple Chinese cities of the middle ages and iron ages had populations of over 1 million people. So I don't think it would be too-far-fetched to say that some of the capitol cities had populations that large.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

What I have never been able to understand is how the huge armies we have seen in the series have been able to be fed/supplied etc without completely destroying the local area.

In TPoD we see the Seanchan take care to always create a supply chain. But other times there seem to just be huge amassed armies and where is all the food for them?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Youngling

sartho is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I got another one.

I know Egwene was able to send a message to Nynaeve and Elayne in their dreams, but is it possible to pull someone from their dream into TAR?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartho View Post
Ok, I got another one.

I know Egwene was able to send a message to Nynaeve and Elayne in their dreams, but is it possible to pull someone from their dream into TAR?
Yes, it is. The Wise Ones say you shouldn't do this, that it is a thing of evil which the forces of the Shadow did during the War of Power. The Forsaken don't seem bothered by such scruples, though, and they have been doing it fairly regularly.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Youngling

sartho is an unknown quantity at this point

So is it similar to going into TAR 'in the flesh' in that it's somehow harms the person, or is it just something that's seen as morally wrong and should never be tried?

I know the Wise Ones know what they're talking about, but I was just wondering if it was something that was frowned upon in the distant past, that evolved into being evil. Like how morals change throughout history and societies.

Sorry if this was a long post, but I got a little carried away.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Just a guesstimate, but I think that the major cities (Caemlyn, Tear, Illian, etc.) could have around 1 million people in them. Considering that in the real world, such cities as Rome, Alexandria, the capital of the Aztec empire, and multiple Chinese cities of the middle ages and iron ages had populations of over 1 million people. So I don't think it would be too-far-fetched to say that some of the capitol cities had populations that large.
I have hard time imagining a million people in a city based on the drawings of the cities in the books. There simply are not enough city blocks.

And it seems that most of the cities do not have sub-urbs in sense we understand them. Villages and hamlets outside the walls. But hardly to make up the numbers for a million inhabitants. Well. To my mind comes 2 rather large sub-urbs. One shanty town in Tear and one in Ebou Dar. Can't remember their names atm.

I would peg the population of the cities to 100k. Maybe 200k tops with Tear.

Last edited by looqas; 06-09-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartho View Post
So is it similar to going into TAR 'in the flesh' in that it's somehow harms the person, or is it just something that's seen as morally wrong and should never be tried?

I know the Wise Ones know what they're talking about, but I was just wondering if it was something that was frowned upon in the distant past, that evolved into being evil. Like how morals change throughout history and societies.
From what I remember of it, we do not have enough information to answer this question.
That need not stop you from speculating, of course, but if you, you'll get slapped down with a "you have no evidence for that" now and then.

Quote:
Sorry if this was a long post, but I got a little carried away.
Don't worry. It did not need to be split up, which has happened to posts of a number of the regular posters here (including me) now and then. The board only allows some specific (but unknown to me at the moment) maximum size of posts, and you were nowhere near that.
You do actually use punctuation and even line breaks, so your post is very readable.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

From the interview database:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jordan at a signing
The larger cities had between 300k and 600K [people]. Tar Valon has 700K people. Andor has a population of 10 million.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

To add to the responses to Looqas' question, one interesting thing population-wise is that, at least until very recently, the overall population in the Westlands (at least) was/is declining, and was thought to be partly a symptom of the Dark One's touch on the pattern. That may be starting to fix itself now with Rand about, much like the grain.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
To add to the responses to Looqas' question, one interesting thing population-wise is that, at least until very recently, the overall population in the Westlands (at least) was/is declining, and was thought to be partly a symptom of the Dark One's touch on the pattern.
I believe it was thought more to be a result of war than anything else, aside from Ingtar's fatalism. Of course, it might have been the result of the discovery of heartleaf tea.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I believe it was thought more to be a result of war than anything else, aside from Ingtar's fatalism. Of course, it might have been the result of the discovery of heartleaf tea.
Which should change if the inventions at Rand's school are any indication as well as Aviendha's showing of the future. While the later can change for the better it seems an industrial revolution is on its way and that should be accompanied by a massive population boom. Also, consider the baby boomers it seems possible there will be a period of peace (~20years) or so in which people have lots of kids before the "peace of the Dragon" is broken; if it is at all now that Rand made the correct choice.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoz12 View Post
What I have never been able to understand is how the huge armies we have seen in the series have been able to be fed/supplied etc without completely destroying the local area.
I've just written off the size of armies in the WOT as FM. RJ was very good about many things, especially military things, but he completely fornicated the canine on population sizes. The three-fold land could realistically support about 1/100th of the population RJ has in just the warrior societies.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.