art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Why do the Tairens and Illianers hate eachother? As in, when did it all start?
For the same reason that Genoa and Venice hated each other.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
For the same reason that Genoa and Venice hated each other.
Or Germany and France or nearly any close neighbours competing for territory/resources or trade.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoz12 View Post
Or Germany and France or nearly any close neighbours competing for territory/resources or trade.
Or at football*.

*Proper football, not "Rugby with armour".
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Or at football*.

*Proper football, not "Rugby with armour".
What about actual rugby Because New Zealand and Australia pretend to hate each other when it comes to sports etc. But when it comes to wars or natural disasters then we become best friends and staunchest allies.

What is the situation like between the US and Canada? I imagine similar in that you would make fun of each other and pretend to dislike each other but deep down would look out for each other.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
What about actual rugby Because New Zealand and Australia pretend to hate each other when it comes to sports etc. But when it comes to wars or natural disasters then we become best friends and staunchest allies.

What is the situation like between the US and Canada? I imagine similar in that you would make fun of each other and pretend to dislike each other but deep down would look out for each other.
Canada and the US are kind of neutral. We'd help eachother out, and allies in wars, but we just more or less do our own things. And maybe the only thing that we get competitive in is in hockey. Otherwise, meh. Even Canada's football league is different than ours (real football, not kickball ). Also, their's is a step down from the NFL in terms of ability. If the NFL was varsity, the CFL would be junior varsity.

Sports wise, it comes down to different teams within the US that rivalries REALLY develop. An example would be the University of Utah and the Brigham Young University. About 100 years of rivalry in multiple sports, and they HATE eachother.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Youngling

Lightning is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked this question a while back and got only one 'I don't know answer' So here it is again.

Are the Seven Towers referring to the palace which is presumably made of seven towers or the city wall that has seven towers spread around the city?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I asked this question a while back and got only one 'I don't know answer' So here it is again.

Are the Seven Towers referring to the palace which is presumably made of seven towers or the city wall that has seven towers spread around the city?
It isn't specified. Even the night spent in the ruins of Malkier in tEotW doesn't give much of a description.

FWIW, I'd guess it was neither palace nor city wall, but seven distinct tower bastions/watchtowers spread throughout the country

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even Canada's football league is different than ours (real football, not kickball ).
If you're not kicking the ball with your foot, you're not playing football. You're playing advanced catch.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Last I checked, Americans play football, and don't give a sh*t about soccer. The rest of the world doesn't know what it is missing
Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If you're not kicking the ball with your foot, you're not playing football. You're playing advanced catch.
There's the kickoff, punting, field goals, and PATs (kicking the ball through the goal posts for an extra point).
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's the kickoff, punting, field goals, and PATs (kicking the ball through the goal posts for an extra point).
Punting is part of football?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Punting is part of football?
This kind of punting.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Elder

Quote:
Like I said, advanced catch, or rather, Rugby with armour.

I have a WOT based question: where abouts on the Scoville scale are Saldaean Ice Peppers (i.e. how hot are they)?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Someone in the Brown Ajah has probably done an empirical study of ice peppers, but there's no indication that any of the characters in the present have ever heard of it. Let's just say they're really, really hot.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have a WOT based question: where abouts on the Scoville scale are Saldaean Ice Peppers (i.e. how hot are they)?
If I had to guess I'd say they're the equivalent of Habanero peppers (really freaking hot) based on the descriptions of them. If you put 1 Habanero into a pot of Chili, it will be ridiculously hot. Habaneros rate around 350,000 on the Scoville scale...and some go up to 580,000 depending on the sub-variety.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Elder

Quote:

I've seen som Rugby, but there is only a few things similar there. It's closer to Australian Rules Football, as the forward pass has become one of the trademarks of American football, along with the power run game. To really know football here in the states, you need to watch a good game. One of the best ones from this last year was the Rose Bowl with TCU and Wisconsin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKvZaGWks8

A few highlights.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Elder

Quote:
I've seen som Rugby, but there is only a few things similar there. It's closer to Australian Rules Football, as the forward pass has become one of the trademarks of American football, along with the power run game. To really know football here in the states, you need to watch a good game. One of the best ones from this last year was the Rose Bowl with TCU and Wisconsin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKvZaGWks8

A few highlights.
My problem with American Football is how slow the game moves. For example a 90 minute game of rugby takes at most 120 minutes to complete. But the one time I watched American Football it took 3 hours to complete a game of 1 hour duration. While action was happening it was very interesting but there was too much dead time between the action.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My problem with American Football is how slow the game moves. For example a 90 minute game of rugby takes at most 120 minutes to complete. But the one time I watched American Football it took 3 hours to complete a game of 1 hour duration. While action was happening it was very interesting but there was too much dead time between the action.
Most are not quite that long. It depends who's playing, how close the game is ect, ect.

2 "running" teams playing each other makes for much shorter contests than 2 passing teams playing.

But hey, at least you know when the game is actually going to end. I'm sorry but the whole injury time, that's only known to the Ref....yeah that seems damned silly to me. Besides that, I don't mind Soccer/Football.

Doesn't matter in the end, I'm Canadian so you know what I am going to say is the best sport...Hockey!!!
I've played many, many sports...
Golf
Rugby
Soccer
NA Football
Hockey (Ice and Ball)
Basketball
Lacrosse
Baseball (Hardball, Softball and Fastball)
Volleyball (Indoor and Beach)

...and by far the best sport to watch or play for me is Ice Hockey, no question. NA Football is a close second for watching and Fastball the next best to play.

Last edited by finnssss; 06-13-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Wtf is fastball?
And firestone? Can't be rubies, and I don't think they can be garnets either. Moonstones...opals?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Wtf is fastball?
And firestone? Can't be rubies, and I don't think they can be garnets either. Moonstones...opals?
Also known as Windmill or Fastpitch.
It's softball played at hardball speeds and faster on a smaller diamond (Home to first is only 60', pitchers mound is 43' from home).

It's just a much faster paced game than regular Baseball.