art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Now that I have actually gone and looked at the passage, I see that Traveling hadn't been rediscovered yet. Damn. But it's something to do with the eyes and ears.

Quote:
LOC 8

Tar Valon was always kept spotless; Elaida must be neglecting the city terribly for garbage to show in Tel’aran’rhiod. Once she had glimpsed Leane through the window of a tavern near Southharbor, of all places, but when she hurried inside, the common room was empty except for the freshly painted blue tables and benches. She should just have given up, but Myrelle had been badgering her lately, and she wanted a clear conscience when she told the woman that she had tried.
And of course the reference to 'increasing the awe and legend of the mysterious Aes Sedai' was in Chapter 13.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the code system that she used with her Eyes and Ears was something that would be reflected in TAR from the real world (say, perhaps the location of the furniture in a certain room of their home or something that would be permanent enough for her to see in TAR and then send comments about via pigeons in the real world...her knowledge of such things would appear wondrous to the average Randlander as they would believe she was hundreds of leagues away but still knew what they had done in their own homes?

Something like that perhaps?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Actually, it has something to do with painting things blue. I know this sounds daft but blue objects are mentioned where Leane is seen in TAR on several occasions. Perhaps Leane had discovered that it was possible to change the colour of something in TAR, and was doing it to annoy Elaida, or perhaps the blue colour is a signal used by the eyes and ears (more likely).

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

i think the volume of reports would make the furniture moving thing unworkable. but leane could still read the reports, and inform them to keep them in a box for a few days then burn them. any instructions sent based on the reports would likely be wondrous.

im surprised siuan and leane never tried to spy on the black tower though.
or if they did, im even more surprised they found nothing worth reporting to egwene
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
i think the volume of reports would make the furniture moving thing unworkable. but leane could still read the reports, and inform them to keep them in a box for a few days then burn them. any instructions sent based on the reports would likely be wondrous.

im surprised siuan and leane never tried to spy on the black tower though.
or if they did, im even more surprised they found nothing worth reporting to egwene
Like I said, it could be any number of things but that makes the most sense of the options.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Is Fain actually from Lugard (Fain, not Mordeth), or somewhere else?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Is Fain actually from Lugard (Fain, not Mordeth), or somewhere else?
IIRC, the only clue to his true origins is his Lugard accent. He is either from Lugard or was raised (taught to speak) by someone from Lugard.

I can see no particular point in his accent being faked for all of the years he regularly visited the Two Rivers.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Well, Fain himself claims Lugard as his homeland...but we know how well we can take his word.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

So, Lugard can now claim that something more sinister than Far Madding could with their False Dragons.

Speaking of which, what do we know of Raolin Darksbane and Yurian Stonebow (like personal lives)?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I think guaire amalassan is the only False Dragon we know much about. And logain and taim, i suppose.
lmao at logain wanting amalassan as his pseudonym.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Mistress Madwen is Fain's sister-in-law? Valan Luca's atypical birth & childhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
IIRC, the only clue to his true origins is his Lugard accent. He is either from Lugard or was raised (taught to speak) by someone from Lugard.

I can see no particular point in his accent being faked for all of the years he regularly visited the Two Rivers.

I've always been curious if Fain was the one who took the money of a dying brother in Murandy, instead of a Hotel & Restaurant called "The Nine Rings" in the village of Tremonsien, Cairhien.

It's as if it's an inside joke on Padan Fain and the Shadow's cluelessness of who the real Dragon is. Who visited and played at the "The Nine Rings previously?

Valan Luca and a now former partner who is working a "plow".

If Padan Fain took the Inn instead of the money, he'd have had Valan Luca, literally walking through the door into Fain's view.

Fain always did switch names, as normal individuals change their clothing daily. With a dead brother with the last name "Madwen" in Murandy... it suggests Fain's upbring was...ummm... let say rather unfortunate.
Here's that chunk of text, with clues:

Quote:
“As you say, my Lord. Forgive me for asking, but is your Lady well?”

Selene looked at her, and spoke for the first time. “I am quite well.” Her voice left a chill in the air that stifled talk for a moment.

“You’re not Cairhienin, Mistress Madwen,” Hurin said suddenly. Burdened down with their saddlebags and Rand’s bundle, he looked like a walking baggage cart. “Pardon, but you don’t sound it.”

Mistress Madwen’s eyebrows rose, and she shot a glance at Rand, then grinned. “I should have known you’d let your man speak freely, but I’ve grown used to—” Her glance darted toward the officer, who had gone back to his own meal. “Light, no, I’m not Cairhienin, but for my sins, I married one. Twenty-three years I lived with him, and when he died on me—the Light shine on him—I was all ready to go back to Lugard, but he had the last laugh, he did. He left me the inn, and his brother the money, when I was sure it would be the other way round. Tricksome and scheming, Barin was, like every man I’ve ever known, Cairhienin most of all. Will you be seated, my Lord? My Lady?”

The innkeeper gave a surprised blink when Hurin sat at table with them—an Ogier, it seemed, was one thing, but Hurin was clearly a servant in her eyes. With another quick look at Rand, she bustled off to the kitchens, and soon serving girls came with their meal, giggling and staring at the lord and the lady, and the Ogier, till Mistress Madwen chased them back to their work.

At first, Rand stared at his food doubtfully. The pork was cut in small bits, mixed with long strips of yellow peppers, and peas, and a number of vegetables and things he did not recognize, all in some sort of clear, thick sauce. It smelled sweet and sharp, both at the same time. Selene only picked at hers, but Loial was eating with a will.
Hurin grinned at Rand over his fork. “They spice their food oddly, Cairhienin do, Lord Rand, but for all that, it’s not bad.”

“It won’t bite you, Rand,” Loial added.

Rand took a hesitant mouthful, and almost gasped. It tasted just as it smelled, sweet and sharp together, the pork crisp on the outside and tender inside, a dozen different flavors, spices, all blending and contrasting. It tasted like nothing he had ever put in his mouth before. It tasted wonderful. He cleaned his plate, and when Mistress Madwen returned with the serving girls to clear away, he nearly asked for more the way Loial did. Selene’s was still half full, but she motioned curtly for one of the girls to take it.

“A pleasure, friend Ogier.” The innkeeper smiled.

“It takes a lot to fill up one of you. Catrine, bring another helping, and be quick.” One of the girls darted away. Mistress Madwen turned her smile on Rand. “My Lord, I had a man here who played the bittern, but he married a girl off one of the farms, and she has him strumming reins behind a plow, now. I couldn’t help noticing what looks like a flute case sticking out of your man’s bundle. Since my musician’s gone, would you let your man favor us with a little music?”
Hurin looked embarrassed.

“He doesn’t play,” Rand explained. “I do.”

The Great Hunt, Chapter 21 "The Nine Rings" -- Rand al'Thor point of view; with Hurin, Loial, Mierin/Selene/Lanfear, and Mistress Madwen in scene.

'The Nine Rings': Food Cruise

Curiously the food Mistress Madwen serves Rand, Loial, Selene seems to be food in the style of Malkieri.

Considering Valan Luca was likely the last Borderlands visitor to her Inn, 'The Nine Rings', the food is of the same type as what Luca liked. The same place Luca is off to visit, after Tar Valon.

Perhaps, Mistress Madwen assumes a Shienarian or Malkieri individuals have similar food preferences to Valan Luca. Rand, Hurin, Loial all came from Shienar. So Shienar or Malkieri is a common bond, if one's to try to make a safe food cruise pick--from an Innkeeper's point of view. A Murandy-Cairhien interpretation of Borderlands food cruise, influenced by ex-Tuantha'an in the Foregate among others?

Malkeiri food cruise was exported all across the Borderlands, by Malkeiri refugees & commerce.

------------------------------------------------------------------

An Hypothesis, which meets:

"He will be of the ancient blood, and raised by the old blood."

Valan is a Malkeiri by Blood, raised by the Tuatha'an.

A man who as a child, grew up with multiple mothers, brothers, sisters et al. He has traveled to almost all of the Westlands; yet only has visited Cities, as man, mostly since being cast out of the Tuantha'an by Ila, Raen and Aram's band.

Mothers

• Ila, one of Luca's many Mothers, is of the Old Blood.
  • One of Luca's likely other Mothers, Perrin once met the Mountain of Mist--a woman foretold to die, by Min: Leya.
Leya wears clothing which would make Luca proud:
Quote:
A vivid green skirt peeking out beneath a bright red cloak. “She’s one of the Traveling People,” he said, startled. No one else he had ever heard of dressed in such brilliant colors and odd combinations, not by choice.

Quote:
... Embroidery of eye-wrenching blue, in the pattern called a Tairen maze, made her red cloak even more garish. She was not young—gray showed thick in her hair where it was not hidden by her cowl—but her face had few lines, other than the disapproving frown she ran over their weapons. If she was alarmed at meeting armed men in the heart of mountain wilderness, though, she gave no sign. Her hands rested easily on the high pommel of her worn but well-kept saddle. And she did not smell afraid.

The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 1 "Waiting" -- Perrin point of view; of Leya with Ragan, Uno, Masema

Leya like Ila, does not identify Valan Luca as a Tuatha'an anymore.
Leya identifies his small band as "Hunters" to Moiraine. (TDR, Chapter 3 "News from the Plain" -- Perrin pov)

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 06-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
So, Lugard can now claim that something more sinister than Far Madding could with their False Dragons.

Speaking of which, what do we know of Raolin Darksbane and Yurian Stonebow (like personal lives)?
Absolutely nothing other than the fact that they were both very powerful false dragons...along with Davian and Guaire Amalasian. Other than that, we know nothing. We do know the dates they were in power too with Darkswbane the first major false dragon after the Breaking and Stonebow right before the Trolloc Wars...

Quote:

TITLE: The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time
CHAPTER: The Prophecies of the Dragon
The first of these false Dragons, as they came to be called, to rise high enough for note was Raolin Darksbane in 335 AB; his followers went so far as to attack the White Tower (unsuccessfully) when he was finally taken. He was followed in 1300 AB by Yurian Stonebow, Davian in FY 351, Guaire Amalasan in FY 939, and then Logain in 997 NE and Mazrim Taim in 998 NE. Other men claimed the title without rising far, but until Logain, false Dragons were very rare, because very few men could channel strongly, and most were taken and gentled long before they were a real threat.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Elder

Lightbulb

Quote:
Valan is a Malkeiri by Blood, raised by the Tuatha'an
That's it, the final piece of the puzzle.
Color me convinced: Luca is the Dragon

Or at least he will be, in the stories written in an age to come...
Valon Luca, the Lord Dragon Ringmaster.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The only remaining question: is being the ringmaster like being the ringleader?
If so, then Britney is the Dragon Rereborn.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
In the case of Valan Luca, he's the ringleader of the tormentors.

I have another question: does the Dark One have a thread in the pattern?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

No, the DO is outside the Pattern.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Second Sunrise, Sunset question remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
When the sun rises a second time, in what direct shall it arise from? A direction? All directions at once? Towers of Morning are found in both Tanchico & Cairhien recall too.

How shall the light be bought?

• Saidar, Saidin, True Power
  • Or by Dreaming

Might three Dreamers re-create that second sun rise?

Nynaeve is one of them, but who might the others be?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 06-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Elder

Maybe everyone just Travels to another time zone.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Maybe everyone just Travels to another time zone.
Jetlag/Traveling lag will be a bitch.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

Q: in the Age of Legends there is talk about the coveted third name. Which one is it in for example Lews Therin Telamon? I always assumed it was the middle one, but now I'm not sure.