art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Of course, with Andor's reverse Salic Law, this personal union of Andor & Cairhien's thrones will end the moment one of Elayne's descendents fails to have a daughter that survives them. Andor's throne will then pass to whichever female relative has the best claim instead of the direct male heir.
Is it actually quite a reverse Salic law? Under Salic law the throne can only pass through the male line, so you have to keep going back until you find a male with a son who can inherit the throne. Is Andor quite that strict?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Seems like Andor's laws require you to have some amount of Ishara's blood, and the political power to back the claim up. But it still seems like Cairhien's laws would need to change to mirror Andor's for any enduring stability to occur.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Don't forget:

4. Elayne is a capable ruler and intelligent young woman more than capable of dealing with the plots of the Cairhienin, even if she does sometimes veer towards the foolish side of brave.
I think your underestimating her "damsel in distress" attribute.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it actually quite a reverse Salic law? Under Salic law the throne can only pass through the male line, so you have to keep going back until you find a male with a son who can inherit the throne. Is Andor quite that strict?
They may be able to keep the throne in trakand if a niece or whatever is close enough. i doubt they will require a female with a daughter though. dyelin must be post menopause, and i dont think she has kids.

the real issue is that men have equal rights in cairhien. unless elayne wants to be an andoran queen of cairhien she won't impose restrictions on male rights that are fully andoran in origin.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
I think your underestimating her "damsel in distress" attribute.
My point was that when it comes to politics she's more than capable. When it comes to "not being kidnapped by people who are evil" she's pretty near the bottom of the class.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the old NBKBPWAE. An excellent statistic to approximate life span and competence.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Ah, the old NBKBPWAE. An excellent statistic to approximate life span and competence.
Yes, but the NBKBPWAE doesn't go hand in hand with political skill. I mean, look at me. I've never been kidnapped by anyone who was evil*, and I have next to no political skill.

*I was once kidnapped by someone who was rather misguided, however.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

But in WoT the more times you get kidnapped and the longer you spent as captive, the better politician you are. Egwene was kidnapped the most, and she's apparently a political mastermind. Elayne was kidnapped a lot, and she's really good too. Faile spent months as a captive so of course she's a good politician too. On the other hand, someone like Perrin was only captured briefly at the very start of the series, that's why he remains clueless about politics. It's a clear trend.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
But in WoT the more times you get kidnapped and the longer you spent as captive, the better politician you are. Egwene was kidnapped the most, and she's apparently a political mastermind. Elayne was kidnapped a lot, and she's really good too. Faile spent months as a captive so of course she's a good politician too. On the other hand, someone like Perrin was only captured briefly at the very start of the series, that's why he remains clueless about politics. It's a clear trend.
This may be the best supported of all the bizarre theories I have ever seen.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Elder

Quote:
Egwene has never to my mind been kidnapped. She was briefly held captive and tortured by Lanfear, but it was very brief.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Egwene has never to my mind been kidnapped. She was briefly held captive and tortured by Lanfear, but it was very brief.
Well, there were the few months she was a damane to think about too...as well as her imprisonment in the Tower under Elaida.

But we can ignore those if it makes you happy.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ummmm...
  • Captured/kidnapped by the Children of the Light
  • Captured/kidnapped and given to the Seanchan
  • Captured/kidnapped by Darkfriends on her way to Tear
  • Captured/kidnapped by the Black Ajah in Tear
  • Captured/kidnapped by the White Tower AS

I dunno dude...seems like a lot to me
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnssss View Post
Ummmm...
  • Captured/kidnapped by the Children of the Light
  • Captured/kidnapped and given to the Seanchan
  • Captured/kidnapped by Darkfriends on her way to Tear
  • Captured/kidnapped by the Black Ajah in Tear
  • Captured/kidnapped by the White Tower AS

I dunno dude...seems like a lot to me
Five? Five is nothing. Not compared to Elayne. She's actually spent more time being kidnapped off-screen.

But yes, now that I think about it Eggy is oddly kindap-happy. I think I overlooked it because I'm in the middle of LOC and she goes un-kidnapped for several books.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Elayne is still behind with only four so far - in Cairhien on the way to Tear, BA in Tear, Ronde Macura in TFOH, and the BA in KOD. Plus none of this lasted more than a day, Egwene was twice held for months. So clearly Egwene is a much better politician.

Admittedly Thom is a big exception to the rule, he should really gets captured long term soon to restore the balance.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
Elayne is still behind with only four so far - in Cairhien on the way to Tear, BA in Tear, Ronde Macura in TFOH, and the BA in KOD. Plus none of this lasted more than a day, Egwene was twice held for months. So clearly Egwene is a much better politician.

Admittedly Thom is a big exception to the rule, he should really gets captured long term soon to restore the balance.
He spent years as Morgase's love-slave before the series, does that count?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Elder

Maybe thom was kidnapped. By morgase. A little tylin-duckling thing going.

Ah zombie beat me to it. Phone died as I was typing, but amazingly saved all my open web pages.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been put into its own thread by now. Terez doesn't like discussions here. But I guess she's gone or is just viewing as a guest.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 07-09-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Elder

Quote:
He spent years as Morgase's love-slave before the series, does that count?
Any suggestion that supports my grand theory is obviously correct.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Taim and Logain were both captured/kidnapped by AS. Logain twice, and for longer both times. So obviously he's the best at politics of those two. On the other hand, he has saddled himself with a pair of AS who are becoming ever better at politics themselves and are not entirely happy captives, which may offset his advantage.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Elder

There is definitely a correlation here. Rand didn't really start doing anything particularly clever politically until after Dumai's Wells. What is it with being kidnapped?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Elder

Just imagine how Moiraine will be after all the time she spent in Finnland as captive. She was already a master schemer before that, now she'd probably take over the world with complete ease.