art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnssss View Post
  • Captured/kidnapped and given to the Seanchan
So when Elaida returns for the rematch, she would finally be a worthy contender for the Amyrlin Seat?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Who's a Gentled Former Tuantha'an?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
So when Elaida returns for the rematch, she would finally be a worthy contender for the Amyrlin Seat?
I'd get a kick, if Elaida's worthy Amyrlin Seat contender is a man whom she once severed from saidin ago earlier.

Quote:
What if we have been wrong since the start? What happens if the Dragon Reborn is gentled before the Last Battle even begins? Even prophecy can fail if the one prophesied is slain or gentled.

The Great Hunt, Chapter 5 "The Shadow in Shienar" -- Moiraine point of view; Siuan speaking

Always seems to comes back to Reds severing men, outside of custom & law. Be it, Elaida, Liandin...

Ironically enough, a Tuatha'an man would highly content to be severed. They live for the songs, the trees, for life---not for saidin. No city nor village folk to threat him either. And yet, given how the Da'Shain Aiel treated William, the Tuantha'an probably ask him to leave their caravans.

Where else better go for a gentled ex-Tuatha'an man than Ogier Steddings?

No saidin to sense,
Trees to behold,
Songs to learn.
Quote:
...A man who has been gentled can still sense the True Source, but he cannot touch it.

The Great Hunt, Glossary entry for 'gentling'

An urge to live for, dream of, Trees & Songs?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Could Cadsuane have gentled the Dragon unknowingly?

On the other hand, given one particular former Tuatha'an general opinion of Aes Sedai including Teslyn of the Red Ajah---could Cadsuane have Gentled the Dragon before the Last Battle?

If Emarin could survive more than ten years gentled, why not the Dragon too?

Quote:
“I know,” she said. And since it seemed Algarin might have told him everything, she added, “I was the one who captured Emarin and took him to Tar Valon.” A strange thing for Algarin to be grateful for, in some eyes, but his younger brother survived being gentled for more than ten years after she had helped him reconcile to it. The brothers had been close.

Knife of Dreams--Cadsuane point of view; with Rand al'Thor at Algarin manor in Tear

Considering Pevara's point view, of the majority of the Red Ajah, perhaps the Dragon has met Cadsuane previously?

Quote:
The primary task of the Red for so long, finding men who could channel and bringing them to the Tower to be gentled, tended to sour women on all men, so the clues had been few and far between.

Knife of Dreams--Pevara point of view; with Tarna

Gentling a man, would enable him survive a journey and back to Aiel Waste, Shara and Seanchan. Let alone avoiding the taint.

A man could have been Gentled before even channeling saidin, according to evidence given in various Glossaries.

A man untouched by the Taint?
A Dragon untouched by the Taint?
Saved by Gentling?
To be Healed, after the Taint was removed?

Edit Addition:
Loial once thought it odd, that Cadsuane knew his Ogier Mother Covril (KoD).
Loial did teach Ogier Treesongs to a group of interested Tuantha'ans at Stedding Shangtai years ago (tEoTW).
Valan Luca journeys do correlate to visiting Stedding Shanghai around this period of time.
The very creation of False Dragons is timed to Valan Luca's locations, at given points during his journey.

Last edited by FelixPax; 07-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Naw, she would then have to go live with the Aiel for a couple of decades, then, maybe
Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough
Default Commercial channeling?

I've wondered how the AS from the aol lived. At least they had their organisation and probably also the aiel to support.

Did they channel for a price? I suspect some were employed by companies to do things such as research and cuendillar. And maybe also travelling.

Arangar's comments on gambling in the aol suggests a capitalist kind of economy. Given his strength, he should have been well paid if channelers were being paid by a central body. I'm assuming of course that the stronger ones are paid more.

Egwene's idea was to sell cuendillar to keep the rebels together. If channelers are jobless post TG, what's to stop them turning bandit? Any ideas? Especially from the bwb? Don't have mine for now.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else feel that the word 'tempest' is overused by BS?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
If channelers are jobless post TG, what's to stop them turning bandit? Any ideas?
I have an idea, but I'm not sure it will work, which is why I decided to ask in this thread. Let's say that you make a lot of forkroot tea (say, 10 liters or so). Then you disperse it in the atmosphere into very fine droplets, upwind from a bunch of channelers. They would now breathe it in. Would that be enough to make them unable to channel?

If so, then this could be a way of duplicating the Far Madding ter'angreal without having to use the OP yourself.

And if the Shadow uses it on the Field of Merrilor, prior to sending in the Trollocs, that could clear away quite a significant part of the resistance.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Considering the amounts that were used with Nyn and Egwene, I'd say you couldn't get enough forkroot for that kind of thing. Less than 1% would reach the channelers and not enough per person to do anything but slow them a bit(drowsy) if that.

My Q?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
No, but I feel his single use of the word "magic" in the Wheel of Time series is practically grounds for him to be hung, drawn and quartered.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Elder

Default Ditched the overuse of 'Blasted', Brandon please.

Quote:
BS's style & vocabulary is indeed awkward in places... I'm extremely tired of reading BS write 'Blasted' over and over. He tends to alternate 'Bloody' with 'Blasted'.

He tends to overuse certain vocabulary, in an attempt to be descriptive without trying to copy RJ's style of using smiles, metaphors in describing a mood, feeling, behavior or imaginary. 'Tempest' is just one example, which Tuon uses.

Last edited by FelixPax; 07-13-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
I have an idea, but I'm not sure it will work, which is why I decided to ask in this thread. Let's say that you make a lot of forkroot tea (say, 10 liters or so). Then you disperse it in the atmosphere into very fine droplets, upwind from a bunch of channelers. They would now breathe it in. Would that be enough to make them unable to channel?

If so, then this could be a way of duplicating the Far Madding ter'angreal without having to use the OP yourself.

And if the Shadow uses it on the Field of Merrilor, prior to sending in the Trollocs, that could clear away quite a significant part of the resistance.
Any quantity of forkroot tea that was sufficient to breath in the atmosphere would be foggy enough to be seen and dispersed easily by a gust of wind by a channeler. However, if you want them to inhale the forkroot, just spike the tabac

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Any quantity of forkroot tea that was sufficient to breath in the atmosphere would be foggy enough to be seen and dispersed easily by a gust of wind by a channeler. However, if you want them to inhale the forkroot, just spike the tabac
Wow that's low. WSB IS a darkfriend. (lol)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, not at all. Between ToM and tWoK, I think he uses that word approximately 1,723,304 times.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonai View Post
Wow that's low. WSB IS a darkfriend. (lol)
Well, not really, but if I was, I'd put all the incompetent ones to shame

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
I've wondered how the AS from the aol lived. At least they had their organisation and probably also the aiel to support.
We know from the books that Aes Sedai in the current Age may live as long as three hundred years or so as a maximum, using a strong channeler such as Cadsuane as an example of the maximum life span possible with the Oath Rod. At least one of the Kin is about 600 years old or thereabouts, which is only a bit less than what was a typical age for channelers to reach in the Age of Legends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 3 - The Age of Legends

One badly fragmented text believed to date from this time contains some interesting data regarding health and healing. Because of the use of the Power in health care, most people did not have to fear dying from disease or injury. The average life expectancy was between one hundred and fifty and two hundred years. For Aes Sedai it was considerably longer, since use of the One Power somehow enhanced the youth and durability of the channeler's body, greatly extending his or her life. There are records of some Aes Sedai being considered barely middle-aged at three hundred years, and some channelers may have lived seven hundred years or more. Since long life spans and excellent health care resulted in large viable populations, it is fortunate that birth-control methods were extremely reliable and without side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf
Did they channel for a price? I suspect some were employed by companies to do things such as research and cuendillar. And maybe also travelling.

Arangar's comments on gambling in the aol suggests a capitalist kind of economy. Given his strength, he should have been well paid if channelers were being paid by a central body. I'm assuming of course that the stronger ones are paid more.

Egwene's idea was to sell cuendillar to keep the rebels together. If channelers are jobless post TG, what's to stop them turning bandit? Any ideas? Especially from the bwb? Don't have mine for now.
Achieving status was all about service in the Age of Legends, not about accumulating wealth, though the society was generally capitalistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: BWB
CHAPTER: 3 - The Age of Legends

The people of this age had long outgrown any interest in material wealth as a goal unto itself. Status and honor were all-important, and could only be gained through service to the community. All hoped to be allowed to serve according to their gifts and to be found worthy of that service. Several sources mention the fact that even names reflected a person's status and honor. Everyone was born with two names and could earn the third one only through accomplishment, apparently possible in many fields.

The people afforded the most status, though they still had to earn their third name through great individual works, were those whose gifts made them capable of the greatest service: those who could effectively channel the One Power. These men and women were called Aes Sedai, which meant ‘servant of all' in the Old Tongue. They were dedicated to using the full extent of their gift for the betterment of their world. Their symbol was a circle, half åwhite and half black with the colors separated by a sinuous line, representing the equal and opposing balance of the saidin and saidar that made up the halves of the True Source.

. . .

This society was supported by a stable worldwide economy; it is doubtful that the people of the Age of Legends would have been able to reach such a high level of achievement without it. The global capitalistic economy gave the greatest rewards for the greatest service, and while Aes Sedai handled many important roles, they represented such a small percentage of the community that the majority of jobs were left open to nonchannelers. Financial gain was not difficult to achieve, but meant little in a world where most material things were plentiful. Individuals gained financial reward based on their work and its value to society. Even a person in the least-valued position gained enough money to assure a comfortable standard of living. There was no poverty. Everyone who wished had a place to serve.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
No, not at all. Between ToM and tWoK, I think he uses that word approximately 1,723,304 times.
Never read the way of kings, but I'm glad its not just me.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Elder

Thanks Marie.

So it wasn't exactly commercial channeling, more of a service thing. I suppose cuendillar figurines were also part of that service? Perhaps contributing to the global economy rather individual pockets.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Youngling

Can'tSllep Reading is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Editing Error or plot twist?

First time poster so please cut me some slack.

I read the Towers of Midnight when it first came out and i just listened to it on audio and i have a problem.
There is a Tam Al'Thor Gap, where in "The Gathering Storm" Cadsuane brings him to see Rand, but in "The Towers of Midnight" he is pulled out of Perrin's Camp after the dreamspike has been placed. Traveling shouldn't work. During the fight in the White Tower Messana talks about how the dream spike prevents all traveling expert for specific exceptions. Why would Slayer make and exception for Cadsuance unless she is in some way connected to the foresaken? Has anyone else noticed this before?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

From what I remember, the dream spike didn't work the whole time that Perrin was messing around with Galad. Supposedly Slayer (or whomever) was still figuring out how best to use it, and switching it on and off. It may be that Tam left during one of the "off" periods. Then again, it may also be that this is a genuine bug, but I wouldn't bet too much on that.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

IIRC there was a menion that Cadsuane didn't travel directly to Perrin's camp, she opened the Gateway a few miles away, which would've been outside the range of the Dreamspike.