art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Youngling

skaywalker is on a distinguished road

Yes, Tam was in one of the villages some miles away to check if Traveling worked there. When he got back to the camp he told Perrin that he must go. So I'm assuming he met Cadsuane in the village.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Youngling

bvpn is an unknown quantity at this point

Question froma long time ago, but did we ever figure out how Thom got away from the Myrddraal in Whitebridge? I was re-reading that part recently and Thom's vague explanation bugged the heck out of me.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpn View Post
Question froma long time ago, but did we ever figure out how Thom got away from the Myrddraal in Whitebridge? I was re-reading that part recently and Thom's vague explanation bugged the heck out of me.
Damn. I had managed to unbother myself about this just months ago, and now you've rebothered me.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If thom's explanation bugged you, you're going to lose it when you see Team Jordan's.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
If thom's explanation bugged you, you're going to lose it when you see Team Jordan's.
Haha, well I would like to hear it. I remember at one point I had convinced myself Thom was Beidomon trapped in a stasis box for 3000 years, just to explain this scene. The actual explanation will at least settle the issue.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haha, well I would like to hear it. I remember at one point I had convinced myself Thom was Beidomon trapped in a stasis box for 3000 years, just to explain this scene. The actual explanation will at least settle the issue.
I suppose I should have posted their explanation...but I will warn you that it in no way will 'settle' anything...

all of the explanations:
https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d...vision=_latest

Basically, Thoms knives are special, power wrought blades cause the flash, but the flash happened before thom made it to the fade, thom's knives didn't produce the effect, it's not whatever we think it is, everything is correct, and RAFO.

Have fun. I think thom just threw power wrought knives at the thing.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I suppose I should have posted their explanation...but I will warn you that it in no way will 'settle' anything...

all of the explanations:
https://docs.google.com/View?docID=d...vision=_latest

Basically, Thoms knives are special, power wrought blades cause the flash, but the flash happened before thom made it to the fade, thom's knives didn't produce the effect, it's not whatever we think it is, everything is correct, and RAFO.

Have fun. I think thom just threw power wrought knives at the thing.
Well, thanks for the answer. Even though it is very confusing, I guess one thing to take away from it is that RJ doesn't think its an important issue. I'll just chalk it up to a weird thing he wrote in while trying out ideas in TEOTW and couldn't really follow up later.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Youngling

Actually wait...that answers part of my question (what were the blue flashes). How did Thom get away from the thing though? Did he actually kill it? Blue flashes seem to indicate that the Myrddraal deflected the knives with his sword. Thom had a bum leg, no way he just manages to run away from it. And I doubt the Shade would just ignore him after he threw power wrought knives at it.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Elder

Quote:
Actually wait...that answers part of my question (what were the blue flashes). How did Thom get away from the thing though? Did he actually kill it? Blue flashes seem to indicate that the Myrddraal deflected the knives with his sword. Thom had a bum leg, no way he just manages to run away from it. And I doubt the Shade would just ignore him after he threw power wrought knives at it.
I have no idea who you're asking lol. Like I said earlier, Team Jordan's explanation will make you lose it.

Also, like the "shade"
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Well, Thom's "bum" leg was a direct result of the encounter with this Shade, which you may be interested to know is considered to be Shaidar Haran v.0.5.

So, good question! We may never know how the blue flashes were produced, or how Thom managed to escape Shaidar Haran's clutches alive, with just a limp. But I hold out hope that Thom's recollections of the event will aid someone in defeating this more powerful version...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:

Who is Beidomon now? Who was Beidomon re-born as, if he was re-born in this Age? That's a key question indeed.

Quite a few possibilities....
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
Who is Beidomon now? Who was Beidomon re-born as, if he was re-born in this Age? That's a key question indeed.
Narg. Narg smart.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Rep'd.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Burn me, I'd like to know if that Verin Mathwin used the Power on Ailil Riatin to get her to support the Lady Elayne Trakand for the Sun Throne.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Narg. Narg smart.
Narg's a fossil hunter.

N = North
A = America
R = Research
G = Group

Wink, Wink...kidding.

Quote:
Matt Campbell asks: A follow up to the previous Beidomon Question: Is
he somewhere in the current age?
------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Jordan: Read and find out.

Source: RJ Compuserve post-ACOS Q&A session, June 7, 1996
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

Do we know how Mesaana managed to circumvent the oath ?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Elder

Default Can Brandon Sanderson explain? Screw-up or Plot Change?

Why does Elenia once claim she cannot pick who replaces a given Andoran High Seat, yet Elayne goes against this very claim in Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Midnight book (Ch.50)?

Quote:
The timing would be key, certainly, or all the advantage would fall to Arymilla, but Elenia could already see herself seated on the Lion Throne, with the High Seats kneeling to swear fealty. She already had her list of which High Seats would need to be replaced. No one who had opposed her was going to be allowed to cause her trouble later. A series of unfortunate accidents would see to that. A pity she could not choose their replacements, but accidents could happen with incredible frequency.

Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 15 “Gathering Darkness” – Elayne point of view
Elenia's Andoran Blood Lust...oppose Elenia, and say hello to 'unfortunate accidents'. Is Elayne any better?

Quote:
"This Crown is not prone to indecisiveness," Elayne pronounced. "On this day, Houses of Sarand, Marne and Arawn are stripped of title and estate, their lands forfeit to the Crown in retribution for their crimes."

Elenia gasped, looking up. Armyilla groaned, slouching down on the lion-centered rug. Naean did not respond. She seemed numb.

"Indeed," Elayne said. "I do not envy Cairhien the uncertainty that it has known these last months." And now the moment. Elayne took a deep breath. "Faced with the strength in Andor, one might think this would be an obvious time to have strong alliances. In fact, the throne recently acquired several estates of no small means. It occurs to me that these estates have no stewards."

All grew quiet. The whispers in the other room stopped. Had they heard correctly? Had Elayne offered estates in Andor to foreign nobility?

Tower of Midnight, Chapter 50 "Choosing Enemies" -- Elayne point of view; in Caemlyn, with Dyelin, Elenia, Naean Arawn, Arymillia, Captain Guybon and Guards
Elayne does in ToM book, what Elenia claims in her thoughts is not politically possible in CoT book.

Minor Nobles within a given House choose their High Seat. Elayne as Queen does not have the power to pick a High Seat in Andor. Elayne is not the People, nor possesses all the voices of Minor Nobles in each House.

The Elayne of ToM book has denied the voice of the People in three Andoran Houses, to choose who is to lead them.

A separate problem, for the Elayne of ToM book is she has ignored all the Bankers owed $$$ by taking the Estates and Assets of the three Houses of Elenia, Naean Arawn, Arymillia.

If a business contract is to be honored in Andor, the Bankers owed gold from Houses of Sarand, Marne and Arawn should now own those Estates if they can't pay up.

Queen Elayne of Andor has taken an Asset, from the Bankers, given it to herself, and then given it out to a group of Cairhien Nobles. That's on top of denied the People in the Houses of Sarand, Marne and Arawn the right of choosing their Leaders.

Elayne of 'Towers of Midnight' book is not the same character, as Robert Jordan has crafted previously. At this point she's a creature of fan fiction, Brandon Sanderson's fan fiction. He's left us, with an unfortunate 'Mirror World' version of Elayne.

Last edited by FelixPax; 07-21-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: PoV error fixed, thanks 'The Unreasoner'. Point still stands through.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Elder

Your CoT quote is actually of an Elenia POV, not Elayne.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot89 View Post
Do we know how Mesaana managed to circumvent the oath ?
No direct answer is given, although a few circumvention possibilities are given in Towers of Midnight, Chapter 15 "Use a Pebble" (beginning at page 224 to 227 of USA Hardback 1st Edition).

See Saerin, Yukiri, Seanine responses to Egwene.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
Why does Elenia once claim she cannot pick who replaces a given Andoran High Seat, yet Elayne goes against this very claim in Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Midnight book (Ch.50)?

Elenia's Andoran Blood Lust...oppose Elenia, and say hello to 'unfortunate accidents'. Is Elayne any better?

Elayne does in ToM book, what Elenia claims in her thoughts is not politically possible in CoT book.

Minor Nobles within a given House choose their High Seat. Elayne as Queen does not have the power to pick a High Seat in Andor. Elayne is not the People, nor possesses all the voices of Minor Nobles in each House.

The Elayne of ToM book has denied the voice of the People in three Andoran Houses, to choose who is to lead them.

A separate problem, for the Elayne of ToM book is she has ignored all the Bankers owed $$$ by taking the Estates and Assets of the three Houses of Elenia, Naean Arawn, Arymillia.

If a business contract is to be honored in Andor, the Bankers owed gold from Houses of Sarand, Marne and Arawn should now own those Estates if they can't pay up.

Queen Elayne of Andor has taken an Asset, from the Bankers, given it to herself, and then given it out to a group of Cairhien Nobles. That's on top of denied the People in the Houses of Sarand, Marne and Arawn the right of choosing their Leaders.

Elayne of 'Towers of Midnight' book is not the same character, as Robert Jordan has crafted previously. At this point she's a creature of fan fiction, Brandon Sanderson's fan fiction. He's left us, with an unfortunate 'Mirror World' version of Elayne.
Elayne did not pick new High Seats. She confiscated the old High Seats. Not the same thing. Andor is not a democracy, believe it or not, and the Queen was telling her current and potential enemies that she is not to be trifled with.

As for those Banks who want compensation for the loans they paid out (which they know they would have not gotten repaid unless Arymila (SP) won the crown anyway and which were underwater since they loans totaled more than the value of the estates) to have the mercenaries turn coat vs Elayne, good luck collecting!!!

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon