art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Yes you can set your status to invisible which will cause the disply that cought your eye.
IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!
My money is on Terez, but I'll take a side bet on Felix
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!
My money is on Terez, but I'll take a side bet on Felix
One lost side bet, when can you pay?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Youngling

Bix is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say, I find Felix a lunatic aspergers troll, but his constantly reminding us that these are indeed books ("in TOM Book timecube bot randomly quotes.. ") has been extremely helpful in me remembering we are, in fact, reading books.

Thanks Felix, I got your back man.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix View Post
I must say, I find Felix a lunatic aspergers troll
Hey! Watchit!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Youngling

Bix is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Hey! Watchit!
I never said that was a bad thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
Elayne over-reached again.
I didn't say that I thought Elanye was in the right. I said that she thought that she was in the right, and that there will eventually be consequences for her abuse of power.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot89 View Post
Do we know how Mesaana managed to circumvent the oath ?
Quote:
No direct answer is given, although a few circumvention possibilities are given in Towers of Midnight, Chapter 15 "Use a Pebble" (beginning at page 224 to 227 of USA Hardback 1st Edition).

See Saerin, Yukiri, Seanine responses to Egwene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
She is no mere Darkfriend... and thus could say that quite truthfully.
(Recall Lanfear's attitude to that accusation?)
No, this was not what Mesaana did to get around the Oath Rod. It was speculated by the fandom that this could be a way around it, but that was not the actual method Mesaana used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot89 View Post
Yes, I know the theories about how she could have avoided capture but I was wondering if someone confirmed that this was what she did.
Brandon confirmed that one of the three methods discussed in TOM was indeed the actual one that Mesaana used to circumvent the Oath Rod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
Towers of Midnight book tour 7 November 2010 Harvard Coop, Cambridge, MA - RDDK reporting

I asked Brandon how, now that Mesaana is braindead and all, she got around the Oath Rod. He told me that one of the three ways the Aes Sedai had surmised was correct.
However, Brandon didn't confirm which of the three was the correct one, as far as I know. I believe the consensus is that the third one discussed below (in the chapter that Felix referred to) is likely the method she used, though, since the other two methods seemed less plausible and the Aes Sedai were actually able to construct a similar weave to that proposed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ/BS
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 15 - Use a Pebble

"Well," Seaine said, "I will begin by saying that one of the Forsaken undoubtedly has knowledge that we can't guess at. So there may be no way to ascertain how she defeated the Oath Rod. For instance, there might be a way to disable it for a short time, or perhaps there are special words that can be used to evade its effects. The rod is a thing of the Age of Legends, and though we've used it for millennia, we don't really understand it. No more than we do most ter'angreal."

"Very well," Egwene said.

"But," Seaine said, getting out a sheet of paper, "that taken into account, I have three theories on how one might defeat swearing on the rod. First, it is possible that the woman has another Oath Rod. Others were once said to exist, and it's plausible that one rod could release you from the oaths of another. Mesaana could have been holding one secretly. She could have taken the Three Oaths while holding our rod, then somehow used the other to negate those oaths before swearing that she was not a Darkfriend."

"Tenuous," Egwene said. "How would she have released herself without us knowing? It requires channeling Spirit."

"I considered that," Seaine said.

"Not surprising," Yukiri said.

Seaine eyed her, then continued. "This is the reason Mesaana would have needed a second Oath Rod. She could have channeled Spirit into it, then inverted the weave, leaving her linked to it."

"It seems improbable," Egwene said.

"Improbable?" Saerin replied. "It seems ridiculous. I thought you said some of these were plausible, Yukiri."

"This one is the least likely of the three," Seaine said. "The second method would be easier. Mesaana could have sent a look-alike wearing the Mirror of Mists. Some unfortunate sister-or novice, or even some untrained woman who could channel-under heavy Compulsion. This woman could have been forced to take the oaths in Mesaana's place. Then, since this person wouldn't be a Darkfriend, she could speak truthfully that she wasn't."

Egwene nodded thoughtfully. "That would have taken a lot of preparation."

"From what I've been able to learn about her," Saerin said, "Mesaana was good at preparation. She excelled at it."

Saerin's task had been to discover whatever she could about Mesaana's true nature. They had all heard the stories-who didn't know the names of each of the Forsaken, and their most terrible deeds, by heart? But Egwene put little faith in stories; she wanted something more hardfast, if she could get it.

"You said there was a third possibility?" Egwene asked.

"Yes," Seaine said. "We know that some weaves play with sound. Variations on vocal weaves are used to enhance a voice to project to a crowd, and in the ward against eavesdropping - indeed, they're used in the various tricks used to listen in on what is being said nearby. Complex uses of the Mirror of Mists can change a person's voice. With some practice, Doesine and I were able to fabricate a variation on a weave that would alter the words we spoke. In effect, we said one thing, but the other person heard another thing entirely."

"Dangerous ground to walk, Seaine," Saerin said, her voice gruff. "That is the kind of weave that could be used for ill purposes."

"I couldn't use it to lie," Seaine said. "I tried. The oaths hold-so long as the weave was there, I couldn't speak words that I knew another would hear as lies, even if they were truth when they left my lips. Regardless, it was an easy weave to develop. Tied off and inverted, it hung in front of me and altered my words in a way I'd indicated.

"Theoretically, if Mesaana had this weave in force, she could have taken up the Oath Rod and sworn whatever she wished. 'I vow that I will lie whenever I feel like it' for instance. The Oath Rod would have bound her with that vow, but the weaves would have changed the sounds in the air as they passed her lips. We'd have heard her saying the proper oaths."

Egwene gritted her teeth. She'd assumed that defeating the Oath Rod would be difficult. And yet here was a simple weave capable of the feat. She should have known - never use a boulder when a pebble will do, as her mother had often said.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Has it been confirmed that the skimming space is a portion of Tel'aran'rhiod?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Is only one Seanchan Bloodknife assassin remain alive, in Tar Valon now?

Is it correct to assume, that one Seanchan Bloodknife assassin remains alive somewhere on Tar Valon?

Quote:
Question: Is it an assumption that we haven’t seen the last of these individuals right here (I was pointing at the Seanchan assassins)?

Answer: There were five sent. We know one is dead. The other four, they may have lived or died through the assault, it was pretty chaotic, but they are expert warriors with ter’angreal focused on letting them hide.

Source: Tamyrlin interview of Brandon Sanderson during 'The Gathering Storm' book tour

As far as I recall, Gawyn killed only three Seanchan Bloodknife assassins in ToM book, Chapter 'Darkness in the Tower'. Meaning at least one single Seanchan assassin remains alive, yes, if Brandon Sanderson interview comments are accurate?

Is this analysis accurate?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Elder

'fraid not. After Gawyn's battle it was mentioned that another assassin went down. It took some Warders and an Aes Sedai too if I recall.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Youngling

skaywalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it correct to assume, that one Seanchan Bloodknife assassin remains alive somewhere on Tar Valon?

As far as I recall, Gawyn killed only three Seanchan Bloodknife assassins in ToM book, Chapter 'Darkness in the Tower'. Meaning at least one single Seanchan assassin remains alive, yes, if Brandon Sanderson interview comments are accurate?

Is this analysis accurate?
No, the last Bloodknife has been dealt with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers of Midnight Ch. 42
Once again, Gawyn sat in the small, unadorned room of Egwene's quarters. He was exhausted, which wasn't surprising, considering what he'd been through, Healings included.
His attention was consumed by the new awareness inside of him. That wonderful blossoming in the back of his mind, that link to Egwene and her emotions. The connection was a wonder, and a comfort. Sensing her let him know she was alive.
Able to anticipate her approach, he stood up as the door opened. "Gawyn," she said as she stepped in, "you shouldn't be standing up in your condition. Please, sit."
"I'm fine," he said, but did as commanded.She pulled over the other stool, sitting down in front of him.
She was calm and serene, but he could sense that she was overwhelmed by events during the night. Servants were still dealing with the bloodstains and the bodies while Chubain was holding the entire Tower at alert, checking on each and every sister. One other assassin had turned up. They'd lost two soldiers and a Warder killing her.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has it been confirmed that the skimming space is a portion of Tel'aran'rhiod?
It is separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Knife of Dreams book tour 11 October 2005 - WinespringBrother reporting

Q: Are Tel’aran’rhiod, skimming space and Gap of Infinity all part of the unseen world?

RJ: No, they are all separate from each other.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Youngling

The Mardy Asha'man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick Question

I have a question about the 13x13 trick, hopefully one of you can help me. I had a look through the db and couldn't find anything but I wasn't looking too hard.

My question is this does the 13x13 trick require a circle? From what I remember the description says 13 AS channeling through 13 Myrddraal I can't find any explicit reference to a circle even though it seems heavily implied from that magic number 13. If you could point me at a reference if it is the case that it requires a circle that would be grand .

Mardy
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

What did we do to scare Terez off, and is there anything we can do to coax her back?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
What did we do to scare Terez off, and is there anything we can do to coax her back?
I wondered the same thing...but I thought she was just invisible. I wonder who pissed her off. Or maybe she just is busy.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Quote:
I wondered the same thing...but I thought she was just invisible. I wonder who pissed her off. Or maybe she just is busy.
It sounds to me like somebody should be searching through the forum database, Twitter, etc. for some quotes so that we can get a well-supported theory going about why we can't see any direct evidence of her having visited the forums in the past several weeks...

Ya know - there've been a lot of posts recently from Weiramon (compared with how many there were prior to Terez's inexplicable disappearance); Burn Me! - maybe there's a connection...?

Last edited by the_collective; 07-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
It sounds to me like somebody should be searching through the forum database, Twitter, etc. for some quotes so that we can get a well-supported theory going about why we can't see any direct evidence of her having visited the forums in the past several weeks...

Ya know - there've been a lot of posts recently from Weiramon (compared with how many there were prior to Terez's inexplicable disappearance); Burn Me! - maybe there's a connection...?

She's posted as recently as this morning on the Dance with Dragons spoilers thread...
Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Maybe she just mellowed out a bit.

Alternative: you lot are just uninteresting noobs. Perhaps you should do the sa'sara, or something.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
She's posted as recently as this morning on the Dance with Dragons spoilers thread...
Quote please!!

(j/k, of course)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Alternative: you lot are just uninteresting noobs. Perhaps you should do the sa'sara, or something.
If we're so uninteresting, why are you still here talking with us, Gonzo?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known