art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): tfyhughtiffany,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

I...am pretty clueless what superpowers people are referring and attributing to Rand, so I'm interested to hear a fuller explanation.

So far I've been able to gather Rand's new-found supa'powahs to include

- people sense mentioned by finssssssssssssssssssssssssss (which I had totally forgotten and overlooked the prologue of TEOTW)

- Rand's sudden discomfort inducing presence towards DFs (as per Weiramon). Presumably he can sense DFs like Warders can sense Shadowspawn.

- Egg's hunch that Rand could have broken free of any shield they could have come up with

Last edited by Terez; 05-26-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: request
Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

@Looqas - the last one of which is likely just due to his strength in the Power, which is literally off the scale.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
@Looqas - the last one of which is likely just due to his strength in the Power, which is literally off the scale.
I think his enormous strength in the Power is an effect of his superpower, not the superpower itself. I think Rand is consciously in touch with the Pattern and his own Ta'veren-ness. This means that his little bubble of protection from decay and corruption follows him around, he can seemingly mentally dominate a Hall full of Aes Sedai, and he appears to be even more powerful when it comes to Channelling, to the extent that he can shape reality around himself. A bit like Neo in the Matrix. There. I said it.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

I have a question: What are the golden vein things in Rands head countering the massive taint thingie? Any speculations or author comments?

Last edited by Terez; 05-26-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: request
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
I have a question: What are the golden vein things in Rands head countering the massive taint thingie? Any speculations or author comments?
The veins of gold represent the bond between him and his women, and specifically the love they feel for him. The light protecting his brain from the taint might be related to that, but it seems most likely that he managed to ward his own brain from the taint, rather than picking out the thorns of the taint like Nynaeve did with Naeff.

Last edited by Terez; 05-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Youngling

cindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
The same midwife can perform urinalysis by taste, so she might have superhuman senses :P
she was most likely testing for gestational diabetes, the only way possible with the available technology.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I think RJ put that in just because people complained about the fact that characters never seem to have to urinate in his books. And RJ probably figured we just would rather read about other things, so he didn't much write about it, other than to mention chamber pots every now and then, or maybe a privy (usually in a very indirect way). But since people complained...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Youngling

cindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nice

it really is how they used to check for diabetes, though. it's why they call type II diabetes, diabetes mellitus - this literally means sweet urine. i think he was trying to be accurate about how a good midwife would handle a pregnancy.

please forgive the argument, though. i'll go away now.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy View Post
it really is how they used to check for diabetes, though.
I believe you, and I'm sure RJ knew that. I'm just saying.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Youngling

'k, thanks.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Elder

I have a feeling that this might get long eventually and people are bound to ask same things over and over....Also I was thinking how to make this thread more accessible and usable. Collect the questions to database of sorts? But as you know with your interview database maintaining one can be a huge task. So I don't know...

Q: we know severing/gentling can be healed. Can burning be healed too?

Last edited by Terez; 05-26-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: request
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
I have a feeling that this might get long eventually and people are bound to ask same things over and over....Also I was thinking how to make this thread more accessible and usable.
There's a search button at the top of the thread. Makes it not worth the time to make a database. People can always ask again.

Quote:
Q: we know severing/gentling can be healed. Can burning be healed too?
My guess is probably not, but we don't know for sure. There are huge differences, such as the fact that severed people can still sense the Power, but burned out people can't. Brandon's stock answer was given in response to the question - that Nynaeve thinks anything short of death can be Healed, and she's on the right track. But that doesn't tell us anything, really.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I have a silly question, well, two actually:

1. If no-one is ever supposed to name the Dark One, how come everyone seems to know what his name is? I'm not talking Aes Sedai and scholars; I'm talking Rand, Mat, and Old Bili Congar who named him prior to book one.

2. Terez, are you having as much fun answering these questions as I am coming up with them?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I have a silly question, well, two actually:

1. If no-one is ever supposed to name the Dark One, how come everyone seems to know what his name is? I'm not talking Aes Sedai and scholars; I'm talking Rand, Mat, and Old Bili Congar who named him prior to book one.
Presumably it can be written, but some have suggested it's some kind of instinctual knowledge - a supernatural yet 'natural' phenomenon like Old Blood memories.

Quote:
2. Terez, are you having as much fun answering these questions as I am coming up with them?
Meh. I enjoy it more sometimes than othertimes, but it's at least usually not bothersome.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

A few questions...
Do we know how Alivia stacks up against Lanfear pre-Finn?
Who was enforcing Ishamael's orders after he died? I would guess Demandred or Graendal, and I know Compulsion played a role, but presumably another hand was necessary to enforce, and one Sammael was apparently unable to override.
Which brings me to
How closely are Morridin's and Shaidar Haran's plans related? It seems superfade was for killing rand in book 2, but ishamael was opposed until three.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

How do isolated country kids such as Rand, Mat and Perrin learn to read and write? Do they have some early schooling before helping out on the farm/apprenticeship full time? Or are they simply taught by their parents.

I imagine there are schools for children in the cities but do we know if this actually is/isn't true?

Also why are there no mention of sports anywhere? Other than sword-fighting? Nearly every culture had some form of sport so you think it would make sense for their to be sport in the WoT.

Sorry if these questions are extra dumb. Just little things I have wondered about.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Elder

Couple of questions:

Q: Can you tie off a gateway weave? AoL's equivalent of a metro system I have in mind.

Q: Do we know how high the AoL flying cars flew? I've always imagined that it was Blade Runner style 1-200m, but I recall of someone saying that they never had seen (presumably impossible) to lift anyone but a couple of meters. Nyn's lifting of Rand and Lan comes to mind particularly. That is if the flying cars did actually use power instead of a mechanics to achieve flight.

Q: The big bang that Seanchan were really scared about when El and others made an escape. It seems that all the combat weaves are fireball/gateways/lightnings/ground explosions, but one would think uncontrolled unraveling combat weave, aka Randland's Daisy Cutters, would be at everyone's disposal, but we haven't seen it in use in smaller scale. Why? Nobody knows it?

Q: Any hints that *angreal will be made this age?

Last edited by looqas; 05-27-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Have you even read the books?

Yes, it has been done, no good for metro, check brandon's quotes.

Who cares? Presumably they are just helicopters or airplanes or something similar, and are subject to the same basic principles. They are not lifted with the power to fly, which is what nynaeve was talking about.

It was a freak accident from an unraveled gateway.

They have been as of lord of chaos, and offscreen even earlier by the seanchan
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

The results of an unravelling gone wrong are totally unpredictable. It could lead to a huge blast, but it can also do nothing but a minor flash of light. It can also cause the burning out of the one doing the unravelling. So it can't be use as a weapon (except if you have Mat nearby to influence the luck in your favour )
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Youngling

enak101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Berowin

Berowin.

“We do not try to reach above our station, but skills are honed with time, and this was always nearly a Talent with me, I could hold one of the Forsaken.”
—Berowin on Shielding

She seems to have a Talent for Shielding. The Shield does not break, but rather bends and stretches.

I was wondering what was going on here. Almost a talent, a talent? How far can it go? How would she go shielding Rand?

She isn't very powerful in the one power but once she gets the shield on. Damn. What happens if someone gives this girl an angreal.

Sadly I don't think we will see her again.

In case anyone doesn't know. She is part of the Kin. First seen chapter 24 aCOS.

She just seems pretty useful for me.

Does having an anreal or sa'angreal help getting out of a shield or can you not access it when shielded to help you.

Why did Rand not keep the Choeden Kal on him after book 4. Why did he hide them?