art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Terez, you don't need to be so verbose.

Here: The Voice at Tarwin's Gap.

Why don't y'all go over there and discuss?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying I disagree with your viewpoint but backing it up with some reasoning (especially for noobs) would be nice.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 08-31-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Terez, you don't need to be so verbose.

Here: The Voice at Tarwin's Gap.

Why don't y'all go over there and discuss?
We did...and I disagreed with her then too. In a thread for asking questions, we shouldnt state opinions as fact.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
1. It was the Creator or the DO in the eye of the world saying : 'I WILL NOT TAKE PART.
Couldn't it also have been the Wheel or madness? I mean, I think it's the Creator, and accept that it could be the Dark One, but these are just my opinions. I don't think any conclusive evidence exists.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Couldn't it also have been the Wheel or madness? I mean, I think it's the Creator, and accept that it could be the Dark One, but these are just my opinions. I don't think any conclusive evidence exists.
Well the capitals seem to be the same as the DO's in Lord of Chaos. So it seems RJ uses it for Gods. So it's unlikely even madness will be put down in capitals.
The wheel doesn't seem to be sentinal. So that's also unlikely.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well the capitals seem to be the same as the DO's in Lord of Chaos. So it seems RJ uses it for Gods. So it's unlikely even madness will be put down in capitals.
The wheel doesn't seem to be sentinal. So that's also unlikely.
Well, we agree on the nature of the Wheel, I'm just unsure sentience is necessary for this.

And madness has precedent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACoS, Chapter 7
No Min here, no comforting presence to make him laugh, make him forget the Dragon Reborn. Only the war with saidin, and the whirlwind of his thoughts, and . . .

They must be done away with. You must do it. Don’t you remember the last time? That place by the wells was a pittance. Cities burned whole out of the earth were nothing. We destroyed the world! DO YOU HEAR ME? THEY HAVE TO BE KILLED, WIPED FROM THE FACE . . . !

Not his, that voice shouting inside his skull.
Emphasis mine.
I am aware that some people think the voice is really LTT. While I think it's madness, I don't want to argue this point. And either way, here is a non-god speaking in all caps. We seem to know less about the nature of the voice than we do about the real/construct debate.

Edited to add:
I realize it's not always all-caps, but it may be that the 'all-caps' represent nothing more than perceived volume.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 09-02-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Youngling

DrZoidberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brandon Sanderson's minor detail revealed in ToM ?

Some years ago there was an argument here about a statement by Brandon Sanderson, that a small detail mentioned from one of the first books and then over and over was supposed to have a big impact on the story. Similar to Vin's earring in the Mistborn.

Was this revealed in ToM or aGS?
If it was what was it?
Or is it supposed to be in the next novel?

In my opinion it wasn't really anything that shocking in ToM. Compared to Vin's earring.
But I also know that Mistborn is cleverly built up for this shocking moments where you think of one thing, and it's actually the opposite. Like with Lord Ruler.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The wheel doesn't seem to be sentinal.
I suspect you meant "sentient". But it could also be "sentinel" or "sentimental". A neat typo, I have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Was this revealed in ToM or aGS?
If it was what was it?
Mat's spear (ashandarei) was needed for getting out of the Tower of Ghenjei. When it was given to him, he had asked for a way out. At the time, that had been unnecessary, as the agreement regarding the red stone doorways required such a way out to exist anyways.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Youngling

DrZoidberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gonzo!
So it wasn't the Hat that got him out after all
Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, have a question here.

Did the Shaido come across any of the Tinkers?
And how would the Shaido have treated them, considering what they did to other peoples?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Okay, have a question here.

Did the Shaido come across any of the Tinkers?
Not that we know of.

Quote:
And how would the Shaido have treated them, considering what they did to other peoples?
We don't know for sure.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
~snip~
One thing to keep in mind, this isn't a spoiler section for Mistborn. I know it's been out and over for quite some time now, but those are some pretty big spoilers to just be laying out there, and the one you mention a few times was spoiled for me on these very forums before I had a chance to pick up Mistborn. Annoyed me then, and I dun think anyone else who might not have picked the books up yet (however vanishingly small that number is) wouldn't might use of spoiler tags for that.

Thankee kindly.

(Then again, if the majority of the Heroes here don't care, I guess it doesn't really matter, feel free to ignore my request.)

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Youngling

phil01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we know why when Moiraine was fighting lanfear she was able to go through the doorway when she had already been through once.It seems a pretty big loop hole if it was just because she was holding onto lanfear when they went through. She seems to have a habit of been able to do things twice hat everyone else can only do once.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Do we know why when Moiraine was fighting lanfear she was able to go through the doorway when she had already been through once.It seems a pretty big loop hole if it was just because she was holding onto lanfear when they went through. She seems to have a habit of been able to do things twice hat everyone else can only do once.
This loophole is not quite as big as it seems, considering the fact that there used to be two doorways: one in Tear and one in Rhuidean. Mat and Moiraine had both been through the one in Tear, and (as Mat found out) they couldn't use that one again. Mat had been through the Rhuidean one when he went to Rhuidean with Rand. Moiraine hadn't, though. Then that one was dragged all the way to Cairhien, and it was there that Moiraine used it to get rid of Lanfear.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

When were the Forsaken actually freed? I had always assumed that they must have been released gradually, one by one, but in replying to Crispin in another thread I realised there are flaws in that idea. I had thought that they were released according to the order of "depth of sealing" with Ishamael on top and possibly never truly bound at all and Aginor and Balthamel a layer down from that. But that would make Lanfear the next to be freed, and she appears very soon after Aginor and Balthamel, closely followed (apparently) by all the other Forsaken. Were they all released at once?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
When were the Forsaken actually freed? I had always assumed that they must have been released gradually, one by one, but in replying to Crispin in another thread I realised there are flaws in that idea. I had thought that they were released according to the order of "depth of sealing" with Ishamael on top and possibly never truly bound at all and Aginor and Balthamel a layer down from that. But that would make Lanfear the next to be freed, and she appears very soon after Aginor and Balthamel, closely followed (apparently) by all the other Forsaken. Were they all released at once?
RJ was asked about this. Im not sure if it was the TOR Q&A that they ran every week or in another interview but I seem to recall him saying that Aginor and Balthamel were very near the surface hence the way they looked when they showed up at the Eye of the World. They had only just got out as it they had not been out and about for months on end. Ishamael was in a catagory of his own.I think he said that the rest got out together, and it happened sometime while Rand was cooling his heels in Fal Dara after the events of TEotW but before Siaun and the rest of the AS came to visit.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

I did some digging in Terez's wonderful database -Thanks for putting that together Terez and here are some quotes that may shed some light on when the forsaken got out.

Budapest Q & A
Week 20 Question: Why was Aginor so interested in the Eye of the World? He could channel clean saidin anyway so it shouldn't have been an issue?

Robert Jordan Answers: He was able to channel clean saidin, true, but only through the "filter" which had been provided by the Dark One just a short time previously, which meant the Dark One would be aware of him channeling wherever he was.

It does not give an exact date but presumably the two forsaken were given the filter when they got out so it depends what RJ considered a 'short time previously.

Budapest again.

Q: [something about the Forsaken]
RJ: Essentially learned the local language.
Q: They just got free and learned the local language in a few weeks or so.
RJ: A little more than a few weeks.

Lanfear showed up early enought in TGH and she did not sound like a foreign exchange student so she must have had finished her language studies. Its possible that Moiraine was wrong at the end of TEotW when she said none of the other forsaken were free otherwise they would have shown up. Presumably once the rest of them woke up they would have to have had briefinds on the current world, language and customs etc. At that point the forsaken did not want the world to know they were free and given how much things had changed they may not have been let loose until they finished being brought up to speed.

Aginor & Balthamel would not need that as they watched the new society form. Saying that how much knowledge of the world do you need to show up at a given location far removed from any populated area and capture a group with one female AS who was weak and unskilled by forsaken standards, two potentially strong female channelers who had advanced far enought to be able to light a candle on a good day. Mat & Perrin were no threat to any channeler and even Lan... skilled warrior that he was, well we saw how easily the Asha'man were able to deal with the warders who tried to break free their captive AS after Dumai Wells. The only other threat was Rand who did not know what he was doing and had only a fraction of his strenght. Even if he was a danger, there was no way he could take six or seven of the forsaken if they all showed up at the same time.

Given that they were not at the Eye I figure they much have gotten free after that battle otherwise it would have been all hands on deck to deal with Rand.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light
Default To take a living body . . .

Quote:
EotW, Shadow's Waiting:
Mat scowled. "I was thinking about...about what happened back there. About those words I . . ." Everybody turned to look at him then, not just Rand, and he shifted uneasily. "Well, you heard what Moiraine said. It's as if some dead man was speaking with my mouth. I don't like it." His scowl grew deeper when Perrin chuckled.

"Aemon's warcry, she said - right? Maybe you're Aemon come back again. The way you go on about how dull Emond's Field is, I'd think you would like that - being a king and hero reborn."

"Don't say that!" Thom drew a deep breath; everybody stared at him now. "That is dangerous talk, stupid talk. The dead can be reborn, or take a living body, and it is not something to speak of lightly." He took another breath to calm himself before going on. "The old blood, she said. The blood, not a dead man. I've heard that it can happen, sometimes. Heard, though I never really thought . . . It was your roots, boy. A line running from you to your father to your grandfather, right on back to Manetheren, and maybe beyond. Well, now you know your family is old. You ought to let it go at that and be glad. Most people don't know much more than that they had a father."
Is Thom referring to the DO's method of stealing bodies for his favorite souls to use, or could he possibly be implying that a hero could be "born in to" or placed in a living body at great need? Thought it might be a possibility based on the context. And no, I am not thinking of Olver the Gaidal Cain theory, as it has been reject by RJ, but it may open other possibilities for our ugly friend.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS View Post
Is Thom referring to the DO's method of stealing bodies for his favorite souls to use, or could he possibly be implying that a hero could be "born in to" or placed in a living body at great need? Thought it might be a possibility based on the context. And no, I am not thinking of Olver the Gaidal Cain theory, as it has been reject by RJ, but it may open other possibilities for our ugly friend.
The thing is we don't have any evidence that the DO ever recycled anyone before the end of the Third Age. In fact, even the Forsaken don't seem to pick up on it when they first meet the 'gars and Moridin. I'm inclined to think Thom couldn't have been referring to that - and since the dead don't take any other living bodies that we know of in the series I'm inclined to think he might just be referring to a superstition.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Or maybe he's referring to Mordeth, who is dead, yet takes over Fain's body after having failed (barely) to take over the body of one of the three main characters. Or maybe Mordeth was not entirely unique, and similar cases have existed now and then.