art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Or maybe he's referring to Mordeth, who is dead, yet takes over Fain's body after having failed (barely) to take over the body of one of the three main characters. Or maybe Mordeth was not entirely unique, and similar cases have existed now and then.
I fail to see how Thom Merillin could possibly have known about either Mordeth or the Forsaken. He's either referring to an old, half-forgotten story, or just a superstition. There's barely a difference.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't Thom have known about Mordeth?

And, for that matter, there's also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD, Chapter 27, A Plain Wooden Box
You know of people who hear voices in their heads? Sometimes, very rarely, the voices they hear are the voices of past lives. Lanfear claimed he knew things from our own Age, things only Lews Therin Telamon could know. Clearly, he is hearing Lews Therin’s voice. It makes no difference that his voice is real, however. In fact, that makes his situation worse. Even Graendal usually failed to achieve reintegration with someone who heard a real voice. I understand the descent into terminal madness can be… abrupt.
Apparently, whatever the deal with Rand and LTT, previous lives now and then do take over current living bodies, and in general the results are not pretty. While that would not at all be nice to have happen in your neighbourhood, it would make a good story eventually, so Thom would be likely to hear about such cases.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why wouldn't Thom have known about Mordeth?
He would have known about Mordeth, but not the possession aspect of Mordeth. Why? Because evidently, Mordeth had never done that before.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yet Moiraine at least knew in detail that Mordeth was waiting there with the specific purpose of taking over someone who wandered into the town. She told them so at the time.
That proves that it was actually known beforehand. How widely known it was is not clear, of course. Still, considering the fact that Moiraine told them all without hesitation, it does not seem that this was kept secret by the Tower. Thus, Thom could have known too.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Elder

Quote:
Yet Moiraine at least knew in detail that Mordeth was waiting there with the specific purpose of taking over someone who wandered into the town. She told them so at the time.
That proves that it was actually known beforehand. How widely known it was is not clear, of course. Still, considering the fact that Moiraine told them all without hesitation, it does not seem that this was kept secret by the Tower. Thus, Thom could have known too.
I've looked over the scene you're referring to, and you're right - Moiraine does know. The question, therefore, is how does she know? Did Mordeth just write the AS a letter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeth
Dear Aes Sedai,

Trapped in Shadar Logoth. Please send someone along so that I can steal their soul and posses their body.

Yours,

Mordeth

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Considering his dislike of AS, I doubt that. It seems more likely that he passed the message on to every passing gleeman instead.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Considering his dislike of AS, I doubt that. It seems more likely that he passed the message on to every passing gleeman instead.
Why not just steal their soul and possess their body?

Wait... is Thom Mordeth? Then who is Fain?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think that Thom was speaking of the Dragon with the quote in question. Especially with the drop it at that bit.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Why not just steal their soul and possess their body?

Wait... is Thom Mordeth? Then who is Fain?
Bela.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've looked over the scene you're referring to, and you're right - Moiraine does know. The question, therefore, is how does she know? Did Mordeth just write the AS a letter?
Because Moiraine had to meet the book's quota of telling someone else one piece of information that might help in some way. I believe there only has to be one such instance in each book, otherwise the series would have ended years ago.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

How old were the Aes Sedai that were with the Jenn Aiel when the Aiel were called together while Rand was viewing his ancestor's lives? And how long had they been with the Jenn, and how long since the Breaking at that point?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
How old were the Aes Sedai that were with the Jenn Aiel when the Aiel were called together while Rand was viewing his ancestor's lives? And how long had they been with the Jenn, and how long since the Breaking at that point?
I believe, off the top of my head, that that scene occurred a good 200-300 years after the Breaking and that those AS were probably in the 600-700 year old range (pretty ancient even for unbound AS...I think the max lifespan even for a very powerful channeler is around 700-800.

From TSR, its 10 generations from the Strike to the meeting at Rhuidean....so probably at least 200 years...maybe 300.

Of course, the Breaking lasting approximately 300 years so its probably right around the official end of the Breaking.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 09-14-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
... And how long had they been with the Jenn, and how long since the Breaking at that point?
Lifespans were extended at the beginning of the list, so a straight count of generations doesn't work -- however, here is the list:
  • Charn greatfather of the father of
  • Coumin father of
  • Jonai father of
  • Adan father of
  • Marind father of
  • Lewin
  • Adan second greatfather of
  • Lewin (mother Saralin) father of
  • Jeordam greatfather of
  • Rhodric greatfather of
  • Comran greatfather of
  • Mandein
As summarized at Encyclopedia WOT
(tSR chapters 25 & 26)

Charn witnessed the destruction of the Sharom and Mandein answered the AS/Jenn summons.

Sometime between Rhodric and Comran, Rhuidean was established. The Aes Sedai aren't mentioned until Mandein's POV.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was thinking just fathers, not grandfathers...so much longer.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Lifespans were extended at the beginning of the list, so a straight count of generations doesn't work -- however, here is the list:
  • Charn greatfather of the father of
  • Coumin father of
  • Jonai father of
  • Adan father of
  • Marind father of
  • Lewin
  • Adan second greatfather of
  • Lewin (mother Saralin) father of
  • Jeordam greatfather of
  • Rhodric greatfather of
  • Comran greatfather of
  • Mandein
As summarized at Encyclopedia WOT
(tSR chapters 25 & 26)

Charn witnessed the destruction of the Sharom and Mandein answered the AS/Jenn summons.

Sometime between Rhodric and Comran, Rhuidean was established. The Aes Sedai aren't mentioned until Mandein's POV.
Actually, throughout the generations up to there, it had been rumored that there were Aes Sedai with the wagons. How much there was to those rumors, who knows, but they were mentioned before Mandein.

So about 200-300 since the Breaking? Makes sense. Though, it does show that the Jenn Aiel didn't long survive that meeting, that much was apparent.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

If its 200-300 years, they survived 600 years from the beginning of the Breaking...so not too bad I guess.

There are comments of AS coming to the wagons to grab stuff and then leaving again.

Jonai mentions his wife dying "Because there were no Aes Sedai to heal her", etc etc.

Rhodric mentions that "there are 4 AS with the Jenn" as they go across the Spine...but there aren't indications they've been there a long time.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default steave435

Your question was moved into it's own thread "What the Aelfinn Said".
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Elder

What's the deal with the huge pack of Darkhounds in COT? Who are they hunting? Why so large?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of
Default I think I know...?

Quote:
What's the deal with the huge pack of Darkhounds in COT? Who are they hunting? Why so large?
I thought there was an RJ quote somewhere regarding the large pack of Darkhounds that Perrin had seen hours-old signs of around his chasing-Faile-posse's camp in WH; it stated that the Darkhounds in question were after Fain, and it may have even mentioned that Slayer directed them to do so at Moridin's behest (but I could have mentally invented any or all of this, as I didn't direct you to said quote; I'm pretty sure it was on RJ's blog to a reader that had submitted a question about it)...

Anyway, this only answers your question (even if I'm correct about the quote; and the scene described above being in WH - for all I know we're thinking of the same scene) if we assume this pack and the one trolling around in CoT is one and the same...

Heh...heh heh....

....just trying to help....

"Egwene had told him she had murdered children...Too horrible for anyone to admit to unless it was true." [TGH: Chapter 46, Rand PoV]

Last edited by the_collective; 09-21-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Change name from "Slater" to "Slayer" to avoid confusion with Mario Lopez.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Elder

Landro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really nice

Does anybody know what happen to the Jen?