art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Terez made a lovely little thread for idle questions such as these.
Allow me...
Angreal and sa'angreal are useless when shielded. Rand hid the choedan Kal for fear of their power and likely because he feared theft as well. And berowin was doa. So she thinks she could hold a forsaken? She would have to catch one first, and nynaeve has held one. Eggheads practically killed one.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 AM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoz12 View Post
How do isolated country kids such as Rand, Mat and Perrin learn to read and write? Do they have some early schooling before helping out on the farm/apprenticeship full time? Or are they simply taught by their parents.

I imagine there are schools for children in the cities but do we know if this actually is/isn't true?
I would have thought there weren't many schools in this setting, and that everyone would be taught at home - by their parents if they were working class or lower-middle class or by tutors if they were upper-middle class or nobility. Who would pay for schools? Taxation in a Medieval-type setting is a very different thing compared to modern times, and such money would not have been spent on social mobility for the poor. Any schools that did exist would have been for people rich enough to pay for it, but not rich enough to buy private tuition. (That is the origin of the term "public school" in England, where public schools are a class of private schools.)

Provided the parents were literate I imagine the slower pace of life and the stronger sense of community in a rural environment might actually mean that working class people out in the sticks might even have a better level of literacy than working class people in the towns and cities.

Quote:
Also why are there no mention of sports anywhere? Other than sword-fighting? Nearly every culture had some form of sport so you think it would make sense for their to be sport in the WoT.
The Two Rivers folk have a few sporting contests including quarter-staff and wrestling, so there is more than sword-fighting. They are the descendants of a martial nation (Manetheren) and so it makes sense that they would concentrate on these things over ball games. In England in the Middle Ages, one king tried to outlaw "football" (whatever form that took at the time) because it was keeping people away from their archery practice. Maybe the people of Randland are just more focused than the English.

Also, with a lack of a rail network and motorcars there isn't much scope for teams to travel to play each other. The rise of organised sport in Europe and North American really was facilitated by transport allowing teams to travel to play each other. Otherwise "sports" would really have been localised games. Maybe the same is true in Randland and we just don't see much of local village life. Where we did, in the Two Rivers, martial contests are more important, as they would be in the Borderlands. Traditional Japanese sports are, for example, martial in nature. If you've got an already martial culture it is perfectly believable that if you play ball games as a child, you should put those things aside when you become and adult and concentrate on more important things.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the answers.

Good points. And what you say about schooling makes sense (and went with my gut instinct). It's just that in that environment I imagine far more people would be illiterate than they appear to be in the WoT. If you look at history before schools became widespread most people were illiterate which then meant they couldn't teach their children etc.

I guess what I am saying is what is surprising in the WoT isn't the lack of schools but the level of literacy both rich and poor which doesn't really add up with the level of technology the culture was at.

Regarding sports - good points about the contests in the Two Rivers. They definitely qualify as sports.
In big cities though I thought there would have been some sporting contest. We see horse racing but I imagine a big city like Caemlyn would have either a north/south or east/west divide which would lend itself to sporting encounters of some kind. Most cultures on earth had some form of sports. But it could have been all taking place in the WoT off-screen and now with the last battle so close sport would be a low priority.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Youngling

enak101 is an unknown quantity at this point

DOA, she is dead?

I think she could hold most of the female forsaken. She held Nyneave.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Have you even read the books?

Yes, it has been done, no good for metro, check brandon's quotes.

Who cares? Presumably they are just helicopters or airplanes or something similar, and are subject to the same basic principles. They are not lifted with the power to fly, which is what nynaeve was talking about.

It was a freak accident from an unraveled gateway.

They have been as of lord of chaos, and offscreen even earlier by the seanchan
I have read through the series couple of times, but I forget them it seems quite quickly since I read a lot of other books too, so I have not invested into them so heavily. More like on - off "fan" of sorts. But then again because I can't recall every little detail, or even major plot twists, in the books I do make dumb questions that probably are spelled out in the books. But that's my shame entirely. And no, I don't scour the interview database, WoT wiki, nor have access to anything else than paper copies, but I try to use the search, but using search in the forums is not like using search in the google where the results are filtered rather sophisticatedly instead of matching like in the forum searches. Searching for some rather common words can be very frustrating and yield no results.

And this is a Q&A thread, so I care. The flight height IS irrelevant, but it's question I'm interested in.

About *angreal. I just now realized that ter'angreal also fit in. I meant will angreal and sa'angreal being made again in this age?

Last edited by looqas; 05-27-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

Quote:
How do isolated country kids such as Rand, Mat and Perrin learn to read and write? Do they have some early schooling before helping out on the farm/apprenticeship full time? Or are they simply taught by their parents.
I just read the below quote from ToM: Partings, and a Meeting chapter during my lunch-break. Mat talks to Setalle Anan about Olver.

Quote:
"Sure, but I do not like the things they are teaching to him. The boy needs better examples than that lot."
She seemed amused by that for some reason. "I've already begun instructing the child in letters. ..."

Mat let out a relieved sigh. Women were always happy for a chance to educate a boy when he was young. ...
So I think it was parents' job to educate the children.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
So I think it was parents' job to educate the children.
I accept this. Just think it surprising that so many did. Because all it would take is some incapable/too lazy to and then you would have a cycle of illiteracy.

Perhaps large amounts of the characters in the WoT are illiterate and we just haven't come across it. To me the it would have felt right if we saw that certain characters (particularly from poorer/rougher upbringings) couldn't read and write.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Jordan's explanation about education in Randland:

Quote:
Education in this world is a very sometime thing. In the Two Rivers, where literacy is valued, parents teach children, and if, say, old Jondyn is known to be knowledgeable about history, parents send their children to him. This education is not as broad as that they might receive in a school, but then, the education given in many schools as late of the 19th Century would hardly stand up to today’s standards. Rhetoric was given as great a weight as mathematics when it wasn’t given more. Modern languages were deplored, and not taught even at university level. Parents teaching children is the general model followed. Sometimes a village might hire a sort of schoolmaster, but this is usually thought to be a waste of money since the parents between them have enough knowledge to teach most subjects to the extent necessary.
Even Suian, the daughter of a poor Tairen fisherman, knew how to read before she came to the Tower (though barely), so apparently basic literacy is pretty universal given that the Tairen commoners are probably the worst treated and poorest in Randland from what've seen.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Elder

Q: Was the taint on saidin a layer of True Power (aka Dark One himself)?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
Jordan's explanation about education in Randland:
Even Suian, the daughter of a poor Tairen fisherman, knew how to read before she came to the Tower (though barely), so apparently basic literacy is pretty universal given that the Tairen commoners are probably the worst treated and poorest in Randland from what've seen.
Thanks for that Jordan quote that clarifies things greatly.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Youngling

hmenick is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a bunch of ogier based questions that have been bugging me, thought you guys would be the best choice for some answers.

1. What does the book of translation do?

2. Did the ogier create the stedding?

3. If they did create the stedding can they still do so?

4. If they didn't create them who did? Are they naturally occuring?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

DOA- Dead On Arrival. Useless character.
And so what if she can hold most of the Forsaken? So can probably half the Tower, almost anyone can make a shield, the trouble is catching them.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Elder

Quote:
Apparently not. It is certain they weren't "mixed", though what tptb meant by that is up to interpretation.

Otherwise...no offense intended. The gateway question was actually a good one, I had it myself when I began to find Perrin's storyline exceedingly tedious. Which is of course how I found the answer. The question was put to BS along thought lines similar to yours.

For the rest...I have a good memory, and I was tired and cranky, but ultimately you are right. I could always choose to not answer or to not read your post. This is a questions thread. Ask as you will.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by enak101 View Post
Berowin.

“We do not try to reach above our station, but skills are honed with time, and this was always nearly a Talent with me, I could hold one of the Forsaken.”
—Berowin on Shielding

She seems to have a Talent for Shielding. The Shield does not break, but rather bends and stretches.

I was wondering what was going on here. Almost a talent, a talent? How far can it go? How would she go shielding Rand?
She could probably shield Rand, yes, aside from his new superpowers. It's very similar to Androl's Talent for making gateways. He shouldn't be able to make one at all - far from it. He can hardly do anything else with the Power, he's so weak. But he can make gateways larger than most Asha'man.

Quote:
Does having an anreal or sa'angreal help getting out of a shield or can you not access it when shielded to help you.
It's harder to shield someone if they are holding the Power, and of course it would be much more so with an angreal. But you have to be using it when they try to shield you or you're SOL.

Quote:
Why did Rand not keep the Choeden Kal on him after book 4. Why did he hide them?
He was intimidated by that much Power. It's the same reason he left Callandor in the Stone when he went to the Waste.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A few questions...
Do we know how Alivia stacks up against Lanfear pre-Finn?
Not exactly. Weaker, but still stronger than Nynaeve, so not that much weaker.

Quote:
Who was enforcing Ishamael's orders after he died?
Carridin's orders were enforced by a Fade, and Liandrin. But Sammael seemed surprised that anyone was still following Ishamael's orders when he talked to Carridin in ACOS. My guess is that there was some sort of system in place for enforcing those orders, but it was badly organized because of the infighting among the Forsaken.

Quote:
How closely are Morridin's and Shaidar Haran's plans related? It seems superfade was for killing rand in book 2, but ishamael was opposed until three.
All indications recently are that they are on the same page.

Quote:
Also why are there no mention of sports anywhere? Other than sword-fighting?
Aside from the archery and stuff, bowling was mentioned. I think that there are no organized sports for the same reason that the Aes Sedai recruiting system sucks so much; there's no over-arching society, and even within each nation no real organization.

Quote:
Couple of questions:

Q: Can you tie off a gateway weave?
Not any more. As in, RJ had them tying off gateways earlier, and then he changed it in KOD, apparently because of the metro problem (which Brandon has mentioned in interview). But it was changed rather ungracefully from what I saw, unless the bits about tying them off were removed in later editions.

Quote:
Q: Do we know how high the AoL flying cars flew?
No.

Quote:
I've always imagined that it was Blade Runner style 1-200m, but I recall of someone saying that they never had seen (presumably impossible) to lift anyone but a couple of meters. Nyn's lifting of Rand and Lan comes to mind particularly. That is if the flying cars did actually use power instead of a mechanics to achieve flight.
The technology was developed using the Power, but it is not dependent on the Power to operate, though it seems likely they used the 'standing flows' - like our electricity, but it's the Power - as fuel.

Quote:
Q: Any hints that *angreal will be made this age?
Yes. I think RJ meant us to solve the mystery of why Elayne can't make certain kinds of ter'angreal properly. The correct answer is probably that she needs to link with a man, and for angreal, it probably requires a large circle.

Quote:
It was essentially of the same substance, but not exactly the same. Brandon and RJ have commented on this:

Quote:
Azral Hanan on Twitter - 29 July 2010 4:15 am
Are the taint and the True Power the same?
Brandon - 3:51 pm
No, they are different.

Letter to Paul Ward from RJ - March 2000

RJ: The taint and the True Power are both manifestations of the Dark One -- they are the same substance, but those who access it are not destroyed in the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmenick View Post
1. What does the book of translation do?
Most likely it will transport the stedding and the Ogier back to the parallel universe from which they came. We don't know how it works, and we also don't know whether the Ogier will have to be inside the stedding to be transported, but Loial's mother is arguing that they should go back now to avoid the Last Battle, and Loial is arguing that they should stay. Either way, they have to go back eventually so that they can return at the proper time the next Turning of the Wheel.

Quote:
2. Did the ogier create the stedding?

3. If they did create the stedding can they still do so?

4. If they didn't create them who did? Are they naturally occuring?
Hopefully the above will explain this well enough. The stedding appear to be areas that are obeying the laws of physics in Ogierland. The land will probably look the same when the Ogier disappear, but it will no longer feel like a stedding.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

One thing to keep in mind about sports is that they didn't really catch on in our own world until the economy developed enough to sustain organized leisure activities. Boxing and wrestling and such have always been popular, but city-wide football teams require having a lot of people with a lot of free time to organize everything. Sports that require big groups didn't really catch on until the late 19th century.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Elder

I think I answered a few of those already...
Do we know Alivia is weaker? Or merely suspect? Without knowing how much stronger she appeared and how powerful the angreal was, I always thought she was also as strong as a woman could be. And yet every ranking list I have seen puts her at least one level below and sometimes as much as three. Is there any concrete evidence Lanfear is stronger?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Elder

The thing about berowin and Androl is their Talents bring them above average, but not enough for uniqueness. Androl can make gateways, but probably not substantially bigger than neald's. And as I said before, even though her shield can bend further than others', it is likely that half the tower could hold it as well. The issue is the shielding.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Yeah, I doubt Berowin would be able to hold Rand after Rand's training with Asmodean. For one thing, he's a good bit stronger than Nynaeve, and for another, shields are less effective against a member of the opposite gender, which is why it takes 6 Aes Sedai to hold a strong man's shield even if he isn't 6 times stronger than them.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I think I answered a few of those already...
And badly, if I recall. People don't come here to have noobs answer their questions.

Quote:
Do we know Alivia is weaker? Or merely suspect?
We have enough clues to reasonably infer that she's not at the top of the heap. Unlike with Sharina and Lanfear, no one has said anything about her being as strong as it is possible for a woman to be (and there are other clues, such as Nynaeve thinking that maybe some of the Forsaken were stronger, but no one else, etc.). And Lanfear was right, of course - Alivia did have an angreal.

Quote:
The thing about berowin and Androl is their Talents bring them above average, but not enough for uniqueness. Androl can make gateways, but probably not substantially bigger than neald's. And as I said before, even though her shield can bend further than others', it is likely that half the tower could hold it as well. The issue is the shielding.
Berowin's Talent was noted as being unique:

Quote:
The Amyrlin sat up, working her shoulders. "You don't know everything yet, do you, child? Not the hundredth part of everything. You did not suspect I could cut you off from the True Source. You can still feel it there, but you can't touch it any more than a fish can touch the moon. When you learn enough to be raised to full sisterhood, no one woman will be able to do that to you. The stronger you become, the more Aes Sedai it will take to shield you against your will. Do you think, now, you want to learn?" Nynaeve pressed her mouth shut in a thin line and stared her in the eye grimly. The Amyrlin sighed. "If you had a hair less potential than you do, child, I would send you to the Mistress of Novices and tell her to keep you the rest of your life. But you will get what you deserve."
...just as Androl's has been:

Quote:
He focused. Making gateways came so much easier to him than other weaves did; he'd never understood why. Though he couldn't break even a small rock apart by channeling, he could make a gateway large enough for a wagon to drive through. Logain had called it impressive; Taim had called it impossible.

And of the two, Taim should know more on the subject.

Before Androl, everyone knew that you had to be a certain strength to make a gateway. There were no exceptions. Just because they don't come away with a net gain against other channelers doesn't mean they aren't unique.