art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avengers Thread

I assume a bunch of other people saw it this weekend (or if you're European, you saw it when it came out last month). Any thoughts?

I though Whedon did a fantastic job on the script and direction...great movie overall.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

It was slow at times, but I thought the action and script ultimately made up for that, and it was the best Marvel movie yet. Some of the lines were MOA! Including one by the Hulk that I didn't hear because the audience was laughing too loud (including me)

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
It was slow at times, but I thought the action and script ultimately made up for that, and it was the best Marvel movie yet. Some of the lines were MOA! Including one by the Hulk that I didn't hear because the audience was laughing too loud (including me)
I had to look it up as I was laughing too hard too...

He said:

Spoiler:
Puny God

That script was pure Whedon and he was at his finest.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I had to look it up as I was laughing too hard too...

He said:

Spoiler:
Puny God

That script was pure Whedon and he was at his finest.
I loved it too. I'll be seeing it again very soon.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I loved it. But then as has been pointed out, I'm an official comic-book store patronising NERD, so I was bound to. And, as the target audience, I pronounce this movie AMAZEBALLS.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
AMAZEBALLS.
Definition please.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Definition please.
Amaze + balls - an amazing ball of AWESOMESQUARE.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

i think he wants pictures...

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

I liked it. It wasn't fantastic but it was better than Thor was. Never saw Captain America (why is he a superhero again?? bleh). Best moment was "How dare you, I am a GO..." BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM"

Watchmen is still lightyears better than The Avengers though Not exactly a superhero movie though, but close enouch

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I liked it. It wasn't fantastic but it was better than Thor was. Never saw Captain America (why is he a superhero again?? bleh). Best moment was "How dare you, I am a GO..." BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM"

Watchmen is still lightyears better than The Avengers though Not exactly a superhero movie though, but close enouch
Watchmen was better? Seriously? Admittedly, I don't even really like the Watchmen comic, but as a film Watchmen had nowhere near the entertainment value of Avengers. Watchmen descends, midway through, into nothing more than a series of personal vignettes, eventually drawn together by the failure of its heroes and the success of the world's dumbest smartest man. Avengers succeeds as an ensemble piece in a way that it never can. Watchmen is a story about failures, and as such it can only make us reflect upon our own; Avengers is a story of triumph over adversity, and as such forces us to consider what we could be.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Watchmen was better? Seriously? Admittedly, I don't even really like the Watchmen comic, but as a film Watchmen had nowhere near the entertainment value of Avengers. Watchmen descends, midway through, into nothing more than a series of personal vignettes, eventually drawn together by the failure of its heroes and the success of the world's dumbest smartest man. Avengers succeeds as an ensemble piece in a way that it never can. Watchmen is a story about failures, and as such it can only make us reflect upon our own; Avengers is a story of triumph over adversity, and as such forces us to consider what we could be.

Watchmen says a lot more about ourselves and the society, or a society IMO. Avengers is entertaining. There are of course value in that, but I take away more from Watchmen than I do from The Avengers.

But they are also two different types of stories. One is more classic superhero movie, the other is not.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Watchmen says a lot more about ourselves and the society, or a society IMO. Avengers is entertaining. There are of course value in that, but I take away more from Watchmen than I do from The Avengers.

But they are also two different types of stories. One is more classic superhero movie, the other is not.
Which makes any comparison somewhat pointless. I'm not even a huge comic book fan and I thought Avengers was probably the best "comic book" movie I've ever seen...at least by the Marvel comics. Dark Knight was also fantastic but for completely different reasons.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Watchmen says a lot more about ourselves and the society, or a society IMO.
perhaps that's why I intensely disliked it. gratuitous gore is NOT entertainment.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I may lose my sci-fi/fantasy/comic nerd card for this but...here goes...

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie

Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post

Yeah, we'll be needing that card back.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Which makes any comparison somewhat pointless. I'm not even a huge comic book fan and I thought Avengers was probably the best "comic book" movie I've ever seen...at least by the Marvel comics. Dark Knight was also fantastic but for completely different reasons.
I guess I'm pretty tired of the whole superhero genre really. It's very shiny and perfect. Give me a dent or a crack in the mirror any day. Dark Knight was awesome.

----------

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post

I feel like a big loser because we really wanted to see t this weekend and didn't even try, thinking the theatres would be too full.

But I have heard from my non-geek friends that it was a plain, old FUN movie. You didn't need to see the other ones, or know the back stories to watch this and enjoy it a lot...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
I feel like a big loser because we really wanted to see t this weekend and didn't even try, thinking the theatres would be too full.

But I have heard from my non-geek friends that it was a plain, old FUN movie. You didn't need to see the other ones, or know the back stories to watch this and enjoy it a lot...
Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo are both fantastic in it...especially Ruffalo, he's by far the best Hulk they've ever had.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Elder

Quote:
I guess I'm pretty tired of the whole superhero genre really. It's very shiny and perfect. Give me a dent or a crack in the mirror any day. Dark Knight was awesome.
Our line-up is an alcoholic billionaire arms dealer, a man with severe anger management issues, a God thrown out of Heaven for his arrogance, a WW2-era soldier suddenly flung into the present day, a Russian assassin, and an archer with a troubled past. They're brought together by a man whose "secrets have secrets". Not what I'd call "shiny and perfect" myself.