art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by utinbaho View Post
Amathera is in Tar Valon, so it seems she'll be in FoM, I'm guessing Beslan would be coming with Mat, that leaves Amadicia. Im kinda guessing Egwene will be left with no support after thinking everyone will follow her. Or did I forget some things?
Tarabon has a new panarch, obviously. And Ailron is dead; he was killed at Jeramel.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Tarabon has a new panarch, obviously. And Ailron is dead; he was killed at Jeramel.
Made this a while ago for another thread that didn't pan out...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not even arguing with you.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not even arguing with you.
that utinbaho is wrong?

In any case, probably as close to it as we're going to get (though I do wonder what the hell you thought I meant by Amathera not having the right).

And (s)he didn't seem to ever suspect Ailron. We don't need to assume everyone is an idiot.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Trolling again already?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Trolling again already?
I think he was agreeing with you. Which, as he says, is one of the last great signs before Tarmon Gai'don begins.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I think he was agreeing with you.
He has a strange way of going about it, though, doesn't he?

Quote:
Which, as he says, is one of the last great signs before Tarmon Gai'don begins.
Can I ride Moridin?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I think he was agreeing with you. Which, as he says, is one of the last great signs before Tarmon Gai'don begins.
lol...
I think a small part of the post-apocalyptic confusion may come from me reading 'arguing' as 'agreeing'. My bad.

Not sure what the tone was though. It could be read as dismissive or conciliatory.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
lol...
I think a small part of the post-apocalyptic confusion may come from me reading 'arguing' as 'agreeing'. My bad.
Probably because I read 'agreeing' as 'arguing'. A morning moment.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Elder

Quote:
Probably because I read 'agreeing' as 'arguing'. A morning moment.
lmfao...

dibs on the red horse.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
...she's already lost a handful of years, and is starting out more or less a third of a lifetime ahead. My guess is she'll live 67-75% of Nynaeve's lifetime.
Sharina may have started out older, but Slowing Rate is determined solely by Potential Strength, and Sharina has a tremendous advantage in strength over almost every Aes Sedai -- She is "possibly as strong as a woman can be." Nyneave's 30% advantage in starting slowing is going to be offset by Sharina's 25-35% advantage in slowing rate.

If Sharina takes the Three Oaths, she'll easily hit the 300 year cap on lifespan the Oaths impose. If she doesn't, then she'll have a life expectancy of around 700 years. She might not be a spry and vivacious as someone who started slowing at sixteen to twenty, but they're all going to look fifty to seventy at the end of their lives.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Just had a realisation that you might have had a while ago.

This is not a question really, just not own thread worthy.

Demandred and Logain are very similar. The difference is that Logain accepted his place as second after the dragon.
Demandred never could settle for less than being the best and finishing first.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Demandred and Logain are very similar. The difference is that Logain accepted his place as second after the dragon.
Well, duh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoC, Chapter 30, To Heal Again
"You know, I saw a man once who will cause more trouble than I ever did. Maybe it was the Dragon Reborn; I don’t know. It was when they took me through Caemlyn after I was captured. He was far away, but I saw a... a glow, and I knew he’d shake the world. Caged as I was, I couldn’t help laughing."
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Just had a realisation that you might have had a while ago.

This is not a question really, just not own thread worthy.

And that is the difference between Logain and Taim. And the glory above all men goes to the man who accepted his place as second to the Dragon. How fitting!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
If Sharina takes the Three Oaths, she'll easily hit the 300 year cap on lifespan the Oaths impose. If she doesn't, then she'll have a life expectancy of around 700 years. She might not be a spry and vivacious as someone who started slowing at sixteen to twenty, but they're all going to look fifty to seventy at the end of their lives.
The "cap" may be due to other (environmental) factors rather than just the oaths. The aol is a very different age from the current medically. Plus, would the strongest woman have an equal life expectancy to the strongest man given what RJ said about effectiveness in women balancing male strengths? It shouldn't matter, but...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Elder

Quote:
Sharina may have started out older, but Slowing Rate is determined solely by Potential Strength, and Sharina has a tremendous advantage in strength over almost every Aes Sedai -- She is "possibly as strong as a woman can be." Nyneave's 30% advantage in starting slowing is going to be offset by Sharina's 25-35% advantage in slowing rate.

The slowing rate is discussed by Jordan:
Quote:
Question

Does the rate of slowing depend on your strength in the Power?
Robert Jordan

Yes, basically; you age at 1/X your normal rate, with X being dependent up to a point on Power strength. The Power acts as a natural rejuvenator on you; even at the point of death you won't look or feel worse than a normal 65-year-old.
Bold mine.

If Sharina is as strong as a woman can be, she is probably well past the threshold necessary to hit the slowing limit. But Nynaeve may be just barely past the threshold, so she and Sharina could plausibly slow at the same rate (if they weren't bound).
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Youngling

Laras is an unknown quantity at this point

If an Aes Sedai is released from the Oath Rod, will they live as long as if they had never been bound?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras View Post
If an Aes Sedai is released from the Oath Rod, will they live as long as if they had never been bound?
Unknown; probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
The "cap" may be due to other (environmental) factors rather than just the oaths.
Not according to RJ; he said "the three oaths put a cap on lifespan."

Other factors -- environment, genetics, OP strength, etc -- may influnce or limit lifespan, but the Oaths put a cap of three-hundred years or so that overrides any other factors which might allow a longer lifespan.

PS:
Quote:
would the strongest woman have an equal life expectancy to the strongest man
Given the historical tendency for women to outlive men I'd guess that a channeler like Lanfear or Sharina would outlive Moridin, Rand, Demandred, et al -- barring any unnatural causes of death, like crossing the Dragon Reborn or overdosing on the True Power.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 07-11-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
But Nynaeve may be just barely past the threshold, so she and Sharina could plausibly slow at the same rate (if they weren't bound).
Nyneave isn't as strong as you seem to think she is -- especially in relation to Sharina's potential. See any of the past discussions on relative strength/ strength ranking.

Being "the strongest novice in 300 years" isn't really that much of an accomplishment, given the generally low strength level of established AS. As the series progressed, several channelers stronger than Nyneave are identified.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nyneave isn't as strong as you seem to think she is -- especially in relation to Sharina's potential. See any of the past discussions on relative strength/ strength ranking.
She is. She's exactly as strong as most people think she is, which is extremely strong, but not the strongest.
Quote:
Being "the strongest novice in 300 years" isn't really that much of an accomplishment, given the generally low strength level of established AS. As the series progressed, several channelers stronger than Nyneave are identified.
Its 3000, not 300. And remember that we're only told that Sharina has a potential even greater than Nynaeve's, but get no statements about her potential being much greater, or anything like that.

Also, its worth noting that only six women are stronger than Nynaeve. Making it very likely that she's in the second or third tier of channelers, and no lower.