art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future
Default So I'm re-reading...

Mostly I just thought I'd say that.

This is my first re-read of any kind since the last book was released, possibly the last two books. As in, I read the last two books as they were released but didn't read anything previous at that time.

It's also been a long, a long long time, since I read the early books, quite often I just picked the series up at a later point to refresh my memory before a new book came out.

I had lots of comments about things I've picked up on this time around - I'm currently approaching the end of TGH - which I'd never really either noticed or understood the significance of before, no matter how many times I read the books. I've forgotten most of them now. I will try make an effort to notice and remember to come and mention them, possibly. None of it is ground breaking of course but if some conversation comes out of it that will be nice.

And that's all I have to say about that. Have a nice day
Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
I had lots of comments about things I've picked up on this time around - I'm currently approaching the end of TGH - which I'd never really either noticed or understood the significance of before, no matter how many times I read the books. I've forgotten most of them now. I will try make an effort to notice and remember to come and mention them, possibly. None of it is ground breaking of course but if some conversation comes out of it that will be nice.
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, in a country far away from here, someone invented writing. Maybe you can find someone to teach you.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Burn my soul, I can't decide whether reading and writing is beneath a Lord and best left to peasants such as yourselves.

Or whether it is above your station and the sole purview of your betters.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, in a country far away from here, someone invented writing. Maybe you can find someone to teach you.
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiramon View Post
Burn my soul, I can't decide whether reading and writing is beneath a Lord and best left to peasants such as yourselves.

Or whether it is above your station and the sole purview of your betters.
Or both.

I can't believe I missed so many obvious signs about Ingtar
Old 10-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
I can't believe I missed so many obvious signs about Ingtar
This. I started a reread back in June, and I'm only on tFoH. It's crazy how much you realize you miss when you first read the books, and even after years of not reading the earlier books.

Also, I can't believe I missed this thread. XD

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Ingtar was a shock to me too the first time around. I think that was where WoT stopped being black and white for me and I could see the full spectrum of colour. Still one of my favourite characters.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I still get chills when Rand says that prayer for him before he heads off after the Seanchan.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
I still get chills when Rand says that prayer for him before he heads off after the Seanchan.
Yep, I got that too, much more so this time.

Also Verin clearly lied about Moiraine sending her off after the boys, that is smackingly obvious this time around. There were so many clues to so many things, I'm looking forward to it being intuitively obvious about Graendal

I've just started The Shadow Rising. I always feel the end of TDR is a little rushed, or possibly I read it quickly because it's so fast paced, but even this time it didn't settle well with me about it being Ishamael. That particular killing always feels a little of a cop-out.

Also, Maiden's Kiss - is it really just kissing...?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably reread Books 1-7 20-30 times all the way and then the rest probably a dozen to a half dozen times from Book 8 being a dozen to the Sanderson books being maybe 2-3 (so less than a half dozen I guess) and aMoL just once...cant motivate myself to do a reread.

The point of that longwinded sentence was to preface that even with that many rereadings (and a really good memory for things), I still catch things I missed before while rereading.

I still enjoy tEotW the most of all his books...even though its probably not as good as the peak of Books 4-5-6, I just love the writing and all the seeds he plants in that book that you get to see come to fruition over the next 25 years of his writing.

I also still get really sad when I think about all that as it makes me really miss RJ.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THIS.

What a brilliant scene by RJ. Its one of my top 5 for TGH...my favorite scene is probably Rand's meeting with the Amyrlin I think. And TGH was written well before the Wonder Girls got super annoying so all the Tower scenes are pretty good too.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Elder

I must say, once they take off on their own, it gets quite laborious to read Nynaeve and Elayne's scenes. I would much rather read from the the ta'veren's povs. It just gets so tedious at this point. Event I don't mind as much right now, because I at least like to read the parts with the Aiel. Although she still annoys me.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Elder

Yes, Egwene is annoying me more this time around, I blame you lot for all the Eg-bashing that went on

Now Perrin has his hammer it seems like an awfully long time away before that particular plot is resolved.

Anyone else ever read the Rand in Rhuidean scenes in reverse order?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Anyone else ever read the Rand in Rhuidean scenes in reverse order?
Yup. I had to in order to make a rough timeline of the Aiel journey to the Waste.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Yup. I had to in order to make a rough timeline of the Aiel journey to the Waste.
I did it a couple times way, way back in the day just to do it chronologically...makes an interesting read to say the least. That sequence is one of my favorite in all the books to e honest.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:
I must say, once they take off on their own, it gets quite laborious to read Nynaeve and Elayne's scenes. I would much rather read from the the ta'veren's povs. It just gets so tedious at this point. Event I don't mind as much right now, because I at least like to read the parts with the Aiel. Although she still annoys me.
I just find that they seem to get nearly nothing accomplished? I haven't re-read since AMoL's release, and I do have bias towards the wonderboys over the wondergirls so I could be misremembering things, but Mat and Rand seem to get somewhere every book (Perrin the exception, though I relate to his character the most so I still enjoy his more... laborious chapters)

I find that Elayne and Nynaeve don't really do much. Though I am planning to re-read soon and perhaps my perception will change... I can say Nynaeve is one of my favourite characters, her cognitive dissonance is absolutely hilarious
Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 AM
Elder

I think I've previously underrated TSR as a book, the tone definitely appears to change - everyone suddenly gets a lot more strained and harder and less trusting, I suppose which is a natural reaction to the appearance of the Dragon. I never fail to be amazed by RJ's nuances of text, he changes moods so subtly you don't even realise it's happened until after the fact.

Then with Lanfear and Asmodean arriving - I wonder if anyone really picked up on that first time around. Now, of course, I can see the clues, but I was probably 16 or 17 when I first read this book, reading it simply as a straight story, in no way did I see the hidden layers.

As for the wondergirls, Elayne and Nynaeve are on their way to Tanchico. I had forgotten that the Tanchico scenes open with Egeanin, I am curious to see whether a lot of the point of all that bit is to fill more for back story on the Black Ajah, Moghedian and the Seanchan.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

I was suspicious of the alter ego characters, but Forsaken in disguise was just one of my theories. "High ranking darkfriends" didn't really automatically jump to "disguised Forsaken" in my mind yet and at that point the only introduced and living ones were Lanfear, Rahvin and Sammael. Four were already dead, we knew that there were a total of thirteen and we didn't know that they could be resurected. Mesaana, Semirhage, Graendal, Moghedien, Demandred and Asmodean were still unknowns at that point. I suspected Lanfear being one, but Asmodean didn't fit in at all with what I thought was going on and so I was thrown off the scent.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Elder

I don't know how I managed miss the Lanfear / Keille connection because it's really face smackingly obvious.

I had another observation which I've forgotten now. I did say this thread wasn't going to be anything ground breaking...
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I don't know how I managed miss the Lanfear / Keille connection because it's really face smackingly obvious.
Not really considering that you hadn't yet been exposed to RJ's patterns for long enough. Around LOC or ACOS would be enough, but not TSR.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Not really considering that you hadn't yet been exposed to RJ's patterns for long enough. Around LOC or ACOS would be enough, but not TSR.
Yeah, TSR when things are really beginning to get going.