art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Still don't understand how I missed Asmodean/Jasin Natael in TSR.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly in the same way that you missed Taimandred: you thought it was a red herring.

Edited to add:
Also, the BWB came out after TSR did, so it may be that you didn't have the information about Asmodean needed to make the link as obvious to you as it is now.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 10-20-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Bah, you peasants are always seeing shadows where there are none.

Ill-informed louts, scratching dragon fangs on the doors of those you envy.

Next you will suggest some peddler was a Cho . . . Forsaken in disguise, misleading that Andoran prince-of-the-sword-in-waiting that his Queen was dead at the hands of the Lord Dragon.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiramon View Post
Next you will suggest some peddler was a Cho . . . Forsaken in disguise, misleading that Andoran prince-of-the-sword-in-waiting that his Queen was dead at the hands of the Lord Dragon.
Wait, is this something from the encyclopedia? RJ said that guy was just a peddler...but since you have that as your sig, I'm assuming you know that lol.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Yeah, TSR when things are really beginning to get going.
Just finished it. It's definitely my new current favourite.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 AM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

I'm re-reading the series backwards right now (last book to first) and I'm on aCOS. One thing I didn't pick up before was that Mat actually met Noal/Jain for the first time in front of the palace where Jaichim Carridin was staying in Ebou Dar, where Mat follows Lady Shiaine. I never made the connection before, but the description of the 'old man' is quite unmistakable now that I read it again.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoto View Post
I'm re-reading the series backwards right now (last book to first) and I'm on aCOS. One thing I didn't pick up before was that Mat actually met Noal/Jain for the first time in front of the palace where Jaichim Carridin was staying in Ebou Dar, where Mat follows Lady Shiaine. I never made the connection before, but the description of the 'old man' is quite unmistakable now that I read it again.
That's definitely a different way of doing it. What are you getting from it?

Nynaeve and Elayne definitely don't seem to be achieving much, as is. There was a lot of back story accomplished, we learned about Moghedien and the sad rings, Birgitte was ripped out of TAR, Liandrin was dealt with finally, other than that there just seems to have been a fair bit of wandering around the world, I'm finding the whole menagerie thing a little tedious now (and I'm quite distracted by trying to see if Valan Luca really IS the dragon reborn after all).

Just arrived in Ghealdan now, so about to start catching up with the lovely Masema.

I stick by my original observation that this whole plot line was merely to fill in an awful lot of back story using N&E to carry it along.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that in one of the other scenes we didn't see (because RJ did not get around to writing it) Valan Luca was killed by Demandred, who had mistakenly thought he was the DR. A reversal of the "Roedran is Demandred" thing which had Rand a bit paranoid.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
And the best book to come too. Dammit the first 6 books in this series are just sooooo good.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
It has been my favorite for a long time, and that has stood the test of time and several rereads. It's the book where all of the main characters really begin to come into their own, and they do it through some of the most interesting and creative trials. The columns in Rhuidean for Rand, the doorways in Tear and Rhuidean for Mat, the Two Rivers for Perrin, Tel'aran'rhiod for Egwene, Moghedien for Nynaeve, veils for Elayne, romance and character history for Moiraine and Thom, chaos in the Tower for Min, Galad and Gawyn, a complex destiny for Aviendha, and the book has 3 distinct climaxes, all of them pretty epic.

Someone did a game on the MySpace WoT group about 8-9 years ago where everyone votes on their favorite book and books are eliminated one at a time. It was probably the most involved contest I've ever seen on that particular topic. I seem to remember recruiting Theorylanders to vote, including Sarevok. Anyway, it came down to LOC and TSR. LOC tends to be popular among males in particular because of the savagery and the comeuppance for the Aes Sedai at Dumai's Wells. And it was overall a good book. I just think TSR is really hard to beat.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

/pokes head in

TSR has always been my favorite. Also starting a very slow re-read now that I have the e-book.

/hides again

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Elder

Just finished Lord of Chaos. All Dumai's Wells'd up at the moment.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the second three books, the action and the pace, Rand's degeneration into madness, Egwene's time with the Aiel and then becoming Amyrlin, so much happens! Slightly apprehensive of the wandering around in the snow which is looming for Perrin and the general slow down in pace overall but I'm approaching it with an open mind.

Stupid question of the day - Mazrim Taim was turned wasn't he?

Also, I noticed Graendal said outright that Asmodean was dead, I guess that's the proof that it was her as she has no reason to know definitively? Demandred knows as the GL told him but he hasn't passed that along as far as I know?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Stupid question of the day - Mazrim Taim was turned wasn't he?
That seems to qualify.
No, he wasn't turned. All it took was saving him from the AS, and then making him an offer he couldn't refuse. Based on what we know, he likely was not have too inclined to refuse anyway.

Quote:
Also, I noticed Graendal said outright that Asmodean was dead, I guess that's the proof that it was her as she has no reason to know definitively? Demandred knows as the GL told him but he hasn't passed that along as far as I know?
We do not really know how much he had passed on and how much Graendal had found out through spying, of course. But it is at least a good red herring, and quite probably an actual clue.
Spoiler:
Seeing as how she actually did it, the "clue" option seems more probably.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:

But Graendal also says she made a trip to Shayol Ghul. So at that stage we could also have concluded the Dark One told her as he told Demandred.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It has been my favorite for a long time, and that has stood the test of time and several rereads. It's the book where all of the main characters really begin to come into their own, and they do it through some of the most interesting and creative trials. The columns in Rhuidean for Rand, the doorways in Tear and Rhuidean for Mat, the Two Rivers for Perrin, Tel'aran'rhiod for Egwene, Moghedien for Nynaeve, veils for Elayne, romance and character history for Moiraine and Thom, chaos in the Tower for Min, Galad and Gawyn, a complex destiny for Aviendha, and the book has 3 distinct climaxes, all of them pretty epic.

Someone did a game on the MySpace WoT group about 8-9 years ago where everyone votes on their favorite book and books are eliminated one at a time. It was probably the most involved contest I've ever seen on that particular topic. I seem to remember recruiting Theorylanders to vote, including Sarevok. Anyway, it came down to LOC and TSR. LOC tends to be popular among males in particular because of the savagery and the comeuppance for the Aes Sedai at Dumai's Wells. And it was overall a good book. I just think TSR is really hard to beat.
The columns in Rhuidean are probably the best overall scene in all the books to me. Just so well done.

And yeah, TSR is pretty much the best book IMHO too. The 4-5-6 trilogy is where the entire series peaks and its a slow decline through 7 & 8 to the nadir that is 9-10-11 and the slight rebound under Brandon to finish it off.

I'm rereading aMoL for the first time since my initial read and its actually better than I remember...other than the at times very jarring voices for certain characters (Egwene and Mat in particular and Jesus Rand to a lesser extent) the action scenes really play to Brandon's strengths. Though he does go a bit too far into his Mighty Morphin Power Rangers routine at times (lava gateway, a tempest of this and a tempest of that, etc).

But still its decent at least.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

I dunno if I would group 11 with 9-10. While not as good as 4-5-6, it is way better than 8-9-10, IMO.

As for aMoL... with respect to the fight scenes, I actually don't think he did enough with the Power. The OP is a broad set of abilities, and there should have been innovation all over due to the pressures of war. Instead, he picked one thing, Gateways, and then over-innovated with it. That's more like what he does with his own books, but not very WoT.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

'Ware the quarantine y'all.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That doesn't extend to any discussion on the Brandon books does it?

I thought it was only for the blind hate/support type stuff and Egwene bashing?

But not gawyn bashing. We can all indulge in that

And dav, the nadir of the series is in book 12. "Elaborate aliases and back stories". Urgh!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
That doesn't extend to any discussion on the Brandon books does it?

I thought it was only for the blind hate/support type stuff and Egwene bashing?
The 'ware is for prolonged discussions. The point of the quarantine is to make sure that the discussion doesn't overtake every thread on the forum. It's amazing how quickly that can happen; Brandon and Egwene are just the main two topics that tend to spill over into everything.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kinda makes it hard to discuss anything in the later books you know...and getting talked down to about it gets old too.

Edit: FWIW, my comment wasn't bashing Egwene, it was just noting that Brandon seemed to have trouble writing her is all. Same with Mat.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot