art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Edit: FWIW, my comment wasn't bashing Egwene, it was just noting that Brandon seemed to have trouble writing her is all. Same with Mat.
I don't mind his Egwene. She became a little Mary sue in tGS and ToM but was not the worst. Mat on the other hand was very off IMHO.

Still, I've said this before, Sanderson did a good job in difficult circumstances.

Now, a random thought just came to me- what are the chance of us getting some more WoT in the future?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Kinda makes it hard to discuss anything in the later books you know...and getting talked down to about it gets old too.
No one is talking down to you Dav. Though you do seem more inclined that most posters to rant extensively on either of those topics. I only chimed in because Fionwe responded, and that's usually a precursor to back-and-forth.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Now, a random thought just came to me- what are the chance of us getting some more WoT in the future?
Zero. They've made that pretty clear. Maybe try fanfic?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Zero. They've made that pretty clear. Maybe try fanfic?
Never!!! Especially after you guys taught me about slash fiction. Argh.

I'll tell you where I'm coming from- I know that bandersnatch(the jordan estate guys) have said there will be none. I was re - organising bookshelves and came across the extended Tolkien verse. I was wondering if something like that could happen after some time?

Nb: not suggesting that would be good!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 12-05-2015, 02:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Fanfic has well-established rules of organization. You can usually sort search results to make sure you don't get anything like that, and then there are the ratings, warnings and relationship labels.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
No one is talking down to you Dav. Though you do seem more inclined that most posters to rant extensively on either of those topics. I only chimed in because Fionwe responded, and that's usually a precursor to back-and-forth.
I'm probably more inclined to rant on ANYTHING than most here...or post in general (as indicated by my ridiculously high post count that only you surpass).

I wasn't ranting in this case, just pointing out something I noticed on my reread of aMoL.

One thought/conclusion I did have on this reread was that Nakomi almost has to be the Creator's avatar. The "old Aiel woman" Rand sees/hears at Shayol Ghul towards the end cliches it for me. I think someone else already posited that theory IIRC. Seems to make sense.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'll tell you where I'm coming from- I know that bandersnatch(the jordan estate guys) have said there will be none. I was re - organising bookshelves and came across the extended Tolkien verse. I was wondering if something like that could happen after some time?

Nb: not suggesting that would be good!
I'd love it if some more of the notes were published...in a better format than the Companion (which was disappointing to say the least).

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
And the best book to come too. Dammit the first 6 books in this series are just sooooo good.
Which is the best to come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That seems to qualify.
No, he wasn't turned. All it took was saving him from the AS, and then making him an offer he couldn't refuse. Based on what we know, he likely was not have too inclined to refuse anyway.
Hmmmm, OK. Who rescued him? I thought the BA were supposed to be breaking him free...

Quote:
The columns in Rhuidean are probably the best overall scene in all the books to me. Just so well done.

And yeah, TSR is pretty much the best book IMHO too. The 4-5-6 trilogy is where the entire series peaks and its a slow decline through 7 & 8 to the nadir that is 9-10-11 and the slight rebound under Brandon to finish it off.

I'm rereading aMoL for the first time since my initial read and its actually better than I remember...other than the at times very jarring voices for certain characters (Egwene and Mat in particular and Jesus Rand to a lesser extent) the action scenes really play to Brandon's strengths. Though he does go a bit too far into his Mighty Morphin Power Rangers routine at times (lava gateway, a tempest of this and a tempest of that, etc).

But still its decent at least.
I'm quite looking forward to reading Brandon's three again from the perspective of having just read the entire back series. I remember Mat's voice jarring me a lot first time around, the rest of what you say I hadn't noticed so much. But, open mind and all that...

Just got to the bit in CoS where Nynaeve and Elayne are on the Sea Folk ship negotiating the deal for help with the Bowl of Winds.

What was the deal between Sulin and Nandera fighting it out after Sulin puts off the servant garb, and the same with Sorelia and Amys with water...I get that it was a leadership struggle but I didn't really get the nuances of how it all ended. Like, Sulin beat Nandera but Nandera retained leadership of the Maidens...

Also, is Wise Ones hierarchy ruled by age? Does anyone know how old Sorelia actually is??
Old 12-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
What was the deal between Sulin and Nandera fighting it out after Sulin puts off the servant garb, and the same with Sorelia and Amys with water...I get that it was a leadership struggle but I didn't really get the nuances of how it all ended. Like, Sulin beat Nandera but Nandera retained leadership of the Maidens...

Also, is Wise Ones hierarchy ruled by age? Does anyone know how old Sorelia actually is??
I always thought of the Aiel society as being ruled by strength of character. I think it's one of RJ's points that when the organization tells who the superior is by some sort of simple default (i.e. by age or OP strength) you'll end up with people in charge who don't have all the necessary qualifications. Sorilea has a very forcefull personality, but the other Wise Ones also recognise her as a truly wise person and so they often don't have an argument with which to oppose her.

The Sulin vs. Nandera thing is a matter of ji'e'toh. According to ji'e'toh the greatest shame in combat is to be touched without being harmed in any way. I'd imagine that there are degrees to this with something like a light tap on the back of the neck being at the top of the list. In their fight Nandera won Sulin's respect by forcing her to win by knock out. She couldn't humiliate Nandera or make her admit defeat. Knocking her out was the same as admitting this and so Sulin stepped down.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Elder

Quote:
Which is the best to come?
Well, you are past it now- The best book in the series, imo, is tFoH. I think it is perfect. I might even call it my favourite book of any genre.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, you are past it now- The best book in the series, imo, is tFoH. I think it is perfect. I might even call it my favourite book of any genre.
Its a really good book. The only parts that drag a little bit for me is the endless wagon trip across Amadicia. Even that isn't bad as I really like Nynaeve overall so her scenes are always interesting to me. I even like Elayne at that point in the story as she hadn't yet become ulter annoying. Besides, who doesn't like hot blondes...

Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmmmm, OK. Who rescued him? I thought the BA were supposed to be breaking him free...
Oh yes, the BA brought him to Demandred. But Taim then wasn't Turned using the 13 Myrddraal trick; instead he was recruited with promises of eternal life, lordship over his "inferiors" and the services of the same design bureau that also worked for Ishamael (hence the suspicious colour scheme he adopted later in the series).
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Oh yes, the BA brought him to Demandred. But Taim then wasn't Turned using the 13 Myrddraal trick; instead he was recruited with promises of eternal life, lordship over his "inferiors" and the services of the same design bureau that also worked for Ishamael (hence the suspicious colour scheme he adopted later in the series).
I always found people linking moridin and taim via colour hilarious.

maybe he used Red and black as thats an awesome combination.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I always found people linking moridin and taim via colour hilarious.

maybe he used Red and black as thats an awesome combination.
Ironically though, it apparently was a sort of livery for Moridin...I believe Graendal or Lanfear muses about it to themself during aMoL. Can't recall which actually...probably Graendal as I dont recall Lanfear/Cyndane getting a POV. Maybe Moggy too. I dont know, I'm tired but it was mentioned.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ironically though, it apparently was a sort of livery for Moridin...I believe Graendal or Lanfear muses about it to themself during aMoL. Can't recall which actually...probably Graendal as I dont recall Lanfear/Cyndane getting a POV. Maybe Moggy too. I dont know, I'm tired but it was mentioned.
Graendal mentions it with respect to Cyndane, saying how the color doesn't really suit her.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

When Fain slashes Rand out in the tents with the rebels, Min is crying.

Cadsuane touches her and tells her to stop crying and Min is surprised to realise that she did.

Did Cadsuane use compulsion on her?

ETA: and thanks for the answers to my questions earlier on too

Last edited by Figbiscuit; 12-14-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
When Fain slashes Rand out in the tents with the rebels, Min is crying.

Cadsuane touches her and tells her to stop crying and Min is surprised to realise that she did.

Did Cadsuane use compulsion on her?

ETA: and thanks for the answers to my questions earlier on too
I definitely would say, no. It is way out of Cadsuane's character to use Compulsion at all. And for something so small? Definitely not.

Min is just surprised at how easily she responds to Cadsuane's commands. Everyone is, their first time, usually.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I definitely would say, no. It is way out of Cadsuane's character to use Compulsion at all. And for something so small? Definitely not.

Min is just surprised at how easily she responds to Cadsuane's commands. Everyone is, their first time, usually.
Yeah, I'd agree that compulsion is very unlikely, but this does raise another, admittedly outlandish, possibility. We know that the Blues have a secret fear weave. Does make one wonder, might there be other emotion enhancing or suppressing weaves? Not that I'm suggesting that Cadsuane has a secret calming weave, but such a weave might be useful...
Old 12-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Yeah, I'd agree that compulsion is very unlikely, but this does raise another, admittedly outlandish, possibility. We know that the Blues have a secret fear weave. Does make one wonder, might there be other emotion enhancing or suppressing weaves? Not that I'm suggesting that Cadsuane has a secret calming weave, but such a weave might be useful...
Such a weave is certainly possible, even likely. But I don't see Cadsuane wanting to resort to it, frankly. She is someone who clearly takes pride in her presence and how people react to just her. Using the Power to sneakily make people behave as she wants seems to be something she would disparage. Heck, I found her using the OP on Tam to be out of character.