art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Such a weave is certainly possible, even likely. But I don't see Cadsuane wanting to resort to it, frankly. She is someone who clearly takes pride in her presence and how people react to just her. Using the Power to sneakily make people behave as she wants seems to be something she would disparage. Heck, I found her using the OP on Tam to be out of character.
She was under a bit of stress at the time.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Yeah, I'd agree that compulsion is very unlikely, but this does raise another, admittedly outlandish, possibility. We know that the Blues have a secret fear weave. Does make one wonder, might there be other emotion enhancing or suppressing weaves? Not that I'm suggesting that Cadsuane has a secret calming weave, but such a weave might be useful...
The blues have a secret fear weave?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS 23
Embracing the Source, she wove Spirit in one of the Blue's secret weaves and touched the innkeeper with it. Slight anticipation became definite unease. "Are you certain the young woman meets my description exactly?" she asked, and tightened the weave a traction. Sweat appeared on Mistress Satarov's forehead. "Are you absolutely certain?" Another tightening, and an edge of fear appeared in the woman's eyes.

"Come to think, she doesn't have blue eyes at that. And . . . And she left this morning, come to think."
Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Dashiva stole it from them (or maybe taught it to them, long ago):
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoD, Chapter 27, The Bargain
"The Dragon Reborn," Dashiva’s voice sounded loud, magnified slightly by the Power, "the King of Illian, the Lord of the Morning, comes to see the woman, Cadsuane Melaidhrin."
Rand stepped in, standing tall. He did not recognize the other weave Dashiva had created, but the air seemed to hum with menace, a sense of something inexorable approaching, drawing ever nearer.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Ah, thank you. I didn't start with New Spring on this re-read, also haven't read it often enough to be all that familiar with the content.

I started PoD last night. It's alright, isn't it, thinking you can just pick the books up and read them and everything will be fine and life will carry on as normal.

Literally can't get anything else done. Totally hooked.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Elder

Have read Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight and am half way through Knife of Dreams now.

Nothing significant to add as I've forgotten everything I wanted to question (you're welcome Gonzo), but this time around CoT didn't seem to drag as much, possibly because I'm not waiting on any answers anymore. And where previously it's felt like Faile's rescue dragged on forever, this time it's Elayne's taking of the throne which is boring me out.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

I've always liked Faile. It's Elayne who annoys me.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
I've always liked Faile. It's Elayne who annoys me.
Same here. Though some parts Elayne can be okay. Other parts...
Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Though some parts Elayne can be okay.
When she's a lumberjack, she's okay,
She sleeps all night and she works all day.

She cuts down trees, she skips and jumps,
She likes to press wild flowers.
She puts on women's clothing
And hangs around.... In bars???????
Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Elder

Just started TGS. This is the first time it's really felt face smackingly obvious that it's been written by someone else. I have had issues with certain voices in the past - Mat's for one, but maybe coming straight off the back of a full re-read it's just more obvious this time
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Just started TGS. This is the first time it's really felt face smackingly obvious that it's been written by someone else. I have had issues with certain voices in the past - Mat's for one, but maybe coming straight off the back of a full re-read it's just more obvious this time
Yeah, its a pretty jarring switch.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Elder

The whole tone of voice is wrong for pretty much everyone, and now I'm further in I'm really noticing the difference in style as to how he writes too - the subtle word craft of RJ, teasing you to a conclusion in your own brain is gone, BS tends to just hit you over the head with every thought process of every character. And there are a lot more exclamation marks.

I'm not meaning to diss him, I'd rather have a completed story than not, I just genuinely hadn't noticed such a huge difference before, but then this time I've been immersed in RJ for seven months whereas before I maybe read KoD before diving in to TGS and maybe not even that when the final two came out.

ETA: didn't mean to repeat my previous post quite so much...sorry...
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Elder

Back on topic, I can't believe how much it was glossed over about how Semirhage got hold of the Domination Band. What about all Cadsuane's fancy weaves, designed to make for huge alarms if anyone so much as touched the box? Am I missing something?

I also thought it was strange that Aviendha didn't notice anything through the bond, but they glossed over that in a slightly lily-livered manner too.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The whole tone of voice is wrong for pretty much everyone, and now I'm further in I'm really noticing the difference in style as to how he writes too - the subtle word craft of RJ, teasing you to a conclusion in your own brain is gone, BS tends to just hit you over the head with every thought process of every character. And there are a lot more exclamation marks.

I'm not meaning to diss him, I'd rather have a completed story than not, I just genuinely hadn't noticed such a huge difference before, but then this time I've been immersed in RJ for seven months whereas before I maybe read KoD before diving in to TGS and maybe not even that when the final two came out.

ETA: didn't mean to repeat my previous post quite so much...sorry...
RJ was like listening to a classical orchestra...Brandon is like listening to a 90s Alternative Band...both have their pluses but they are quite jarring listened to back to back.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Back on topic, I can't believe how much it was glossed over about how Semirhage got hold of the Domination Band. What about all Cadsuane's fancy weaves, designed to make for huge alarms if anyone so much as touched the box? Am I missing something?
Shaidar Haran is the explanation, I think.

Quote:
I also thought it was strange that Aviendha didn't notice anything through the bond, but they glossed over that in a slightly lily-livered manner too.
Yeah this was just absurd. Heck, Elayne should have felt something, and she never even comments on it in ToM, as far as I remember.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM
Elder

They made Elayne Over-General? I know Mat is off doing his thang with Tuon, but Rand never even mentioned that he might want him to take over when he returns...

There's a lot which is annoying me about these final books. I'm trying not to let it spoil things, but it's still annoying.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Being Over-General was supposed to be a political job, not an actually military one. Elayne was basically expected to be a sort of super-nanny for nobles and AS, to spank them whenever they tried to interfere with the soldiery stuff. Mat never officially took over that part of the job, he just grabbed the bits of it that he did like.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Being Over-General was supposed to be a political job, not an actually military one. Elayne was basically expected to be a sort of super-nanny for nobles and AS, to spank them whenever they tried to interfere with the soldiery stuff. Mat never officially took over that part of the job, he just grabbed the bits of it that he did like.
Yeah it was more a Commander in Chief position, like temp. world president. Though frankly, I still think it absurd to give it to any of the young ones. They all had potential, but for something like this, experience would have been good too. Elayne's inexperience showed here, I think. The AS should just not have been left to be one single front. They should have been distributed, both to facilitate better communication between the 4 fronts, and to protect the leaders, and generally reduce losses on each front.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, but there wasn't a monarch who could have arranged that, unless they'd given those AS to Tuon, who was even younger than Elayne. And Elayne was definitely a better solution than Egwene would've been. Elayne was not perfect, but she was the best available at the time.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Yeah, but there wasn't a monarch who could have arranged that, unless they'd given those AS to Tuon, who was even younger than Elayne. And Elayne was definitely a better solution than Egwene would've been. Elayne was not perfect, but she was the best available at the time.
I dunno. Morghase, or Siuan, or one of the Bordelanders (not Tenobia) would have done better, I think. They had way more experience at this sort of thing.