art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Youngling

C Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the rough

I've already read enough for two supposed full entries by others (plus yourself) to indicate that it is hardly a matter of what isn't in the notes being put in the Guide. In fact I'm wondering if we will see some outcry when readers realize Sanderson might have made some of his own stuff up! (/joking) Simply because of what isn't in the Guide.

I think the real rhetorical question for most will be what is in the notes that isn't in the Guide? Due to contradiction or an vagueness editing can't get around. Or simply keeping it a single volume. and of course the area 51 of the material that was kept private. Grassy knolls will be picnic'd upon.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rutherford View Post
I've already read enough for two supposed full entries by others (plus yourself) to indicate that it is hardly a matter of what isn't in the notes being put in the Guide.
Well, that is, excepting what they constructed for the last three books. But I'm talking about things like missing power levels. If RJ didn't note the power level himself, it probably won't be in the Companion.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rutherford View Post
I think the real rhetorical question for most will be what is in the notes that isn't in the Guide?
At one point, Brandon quoted a section from RJ's notes where it says Lan was to become King in the western Borderlands and the Blight retreat from much of Malkier. So far, it doesn't seem like this is mentioned at all in the Companion (I have read the entire entry for Malkier, though not all of Lan's and Nynaeve's). I did get the last few paragraphs of Lan's entry, which don't even mention much of what he did post-KoD. There are only three sentences saying, in a very TL;DR fashion, that Lan's bond transferred to Nynaeve, then he fought in the Last Battle and killed Demandred.

So, to me, this seems like it's going to be one of the biggest disappointments: that RJ did reveal a few things about the future that don't seem like they're going to end up in the Companion.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
At one point, Brandon...
Good catch. Pity none of the future stuff is in, but I suspect they didn't want to put all that in and check to see it isn't contradicted by the books. I do hope we get to see it all someday.

Btw... was the Bela thing one of the easter eggs you mentioned?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Dragonmount has posted a review of the Companion, which confirms there won't be anything about what happened after the Last Battle.
Quote:
But none of these extra details shed any light on what happened after the Last Battle. If you were hoping for, say, confirmation on whether or not anything from Aviendha’s visions came true, you aren’t going to find it here. Team Jordan says very firmly in the foreword that this volume is meant as a companion and reference to the novels, so there’s nothing in it that moves any of the plot, characters or setting beyond what we already know.
Which lines up with what we've seen in the previews. So far, any new details have been about past events or already existing character traits such as OP strength levels. I'm fairly certain I got most of Nesune's entry, and made a few additional searches for her name with or without "library" attached, but Min's viewing of her founding a library was not mentioned anywhere I could see. Personally, the tidbits I found most interesting were the few that did give food for thought about the future, such as Marin al'Vere and her other daughters being learners. One or two tidbits also debunk certain theories fans have had about future events, such as Calian and Shivan being reborn as Elayne's twins; apparently Calian and Shivan were already reborn before the Last Battle.

Lan becoming King in the Borderlands feels like a glaring omission particularly as Brandon clearly had this in mind when writing AMoL and planted some seeds to explain why, in RJ's words, "Malkier might have a lot of uniting to do with the western end of the Borderlands under Lan, who will find himself made king out there."

Quote:
“Gather the High Guard of Malkier,” Lan said. That was what his protectors were calling themselves. It was an old Malkieri term for the King’s battlefield guard. Lan wasn’t certain what to make of the fact that Prince Kaisel, who was from Kandor, considered himself one.

Many of Lan’s Malkieri had very little true Malkier blood—they came to him as an honor more than anything else. The Prince was another matter. Lan had asked him and his companions if they should be swearing to a foreign king, no matter how friendly. The only reply he’d received was, “Malkier represents the Borderlands in this war, Dai Shan.”
—A Memory of Light p. 439
So some of the Borderlander royalty already took the first step to uniting under Lan by swearing to him; considering how seriously they take their oaths, there might be some unintended consequences to this. Perhaps it will also come down to the fact that the Borderlands were ravaged to a degree where they may end up wanting Lan to remain in charge since he symbolizes the concept of the Borderlands triumphing over the Shadow and returning from the brink of death, which may be needed to inspire people to rebuild their countries instead of giving up and moving south. So it doesn't make sense to leave out this tidbit from RJ's notes; it explains more of and offers more closure to Lan's storyline than the hints we got in AMoL.

All of this also paves the way for Lan/Nynaeve and Perrin/Faile becoming the main power players in the region, which goes with the general theme of most Randland countries being ruled by the main characters and their kin/close allies. Tuon/Mat, Elayne, Berelain/Galad, Darlin/Caraline (Emond's Fielders and Damodreds seem slated to become the Habsburgs of Randland...ubiquitous and married into the throne).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Btw... was the Bela thing one of the easter eggs you mentioned?
It was, but I suppose the horse has left the barn now... It just seemed like something Harriet likely intended to be a nice surprise for fans as they read the book, as some people will undoubtedly prefer the happier ending.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Bela's death was a matter of some controversy, as Brandon had promised she would survive the series, and Harriet overruled him.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Bela's death was a matter of some controversy, as Brandon had promised she would survive the series, and Harriet overruled him.
Seriously, I wish they'd made up their minds and stuck to it. Bela had a heroic and affecting death in the series. Certainly, as horses go, she had as great a sendoff as any I've read. This walking it back just cheapens the whole thing.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

I gather Harriet finds it amusing to piss off fans who care about stuff like this by making light of it. I'm not particularly bothered, but mostly because I'm past being bothered.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I gather Harriet finds it amusing to piss off fans who care about stuff like this by making light of it. I'm not particularly bothered, but mostly because I'm past being bothered.
Fair enough, I guess. I don't want Bela to be dead or anything. In fact, I suspect she would have pissed off a lot more fans by having Bela remain dead, and definitely stating she was not the Creator.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Elder

Regarding the paternity of Bela's offspring, Tai'daishar can be ruled out as he's officially a gelding again. So we must direct our suspicions elsewhere.

Lan did promise Mandarb he could have his pick of mares, and poor Aldieb's been stuck in the stables of the Sun Palace for a good while now. I suppose it also makes for a certain poignant thematic parallel that Mandarb, having been long separated from Aldieb, succumbed to the wiles of a Two Rivers brunette.

As the offspring of two Last Battle heavy-weights, it would not surprise me to learn the colt and filly were named Calian and Shivan and destined for greatness.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Fair enough, I guess. I don't want Bela to be dead or anything. In fact, I suspect she would have pissed off a lot more fans by having Bela remain dead, and definitely stating she was not the Creator.
This way she gets to piss off everyone.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Youngling

Just read a snippet that after you become a Black Ajah member, you are given a number of tasks. While they are none of them critical, how you handle them is watched closely, and has a major influence on how far you advance in the organization.

It seems the BA were a better meritocracy than the rest of the Tower. Wonder what Verin's tasks were. She must have had to do a lot of ghastly stuff with utmost competence to make sure she got all the info she needed, poor thing.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Youngling

C Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the roughC Rutherford is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post

Lan did promise Mandarb he could have his pick of mares, and poor Aldieb's been stuck in the stables of the Sun Palace for a good while now. I suppose it also makes for a certain poignant thematic parallel that Mandarb, having been long separated from Aldieb, succumbed to the wiles of a Two Rivers brunette.
Despite the fact that Bela and her fate is something I could not care less about*, this made me laugh!

The various references to Verin being Black Ajah made me realize just how big this is in a way. It was not something Jordan got a chance to tell us and probably the biggest thing that comes out had the series been truly cut short when he died. Imagine Tor was unable to make the three posthumous add-ons work contractually. But this reveal was truly tied to other entries in a way that shows how big Jordan saw it. How he must have chortled over all the Purple Ajah stuff!

*To be fair I'm sure the keen interest I have in matters like strength levels, locations on the map of lost states and the need to know the Ajah of every single Aes Sedai mentioned in the books (even those not by name) is not no shared by the majority of others but is something many many fans could also not care about any less !
Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Youngling

Some more "future" stuff from Alivia's entry:

"Many people found her intimidating, but Sharina had her measure, and became her friend"

"She had no particular interest in being Aes Sedai, and would be surprised to learn that she had no choice, under the agreement that would be made between the Aes Sedai and the Kin"

So looks like that agreement will happen, and older women with the ability to channel will be allowed (ie. forced) to test for Aes Sedai.

Sharina and Alivia becoming friends is interesting. Nynaeve's test for the future had Sharina as her advisor, and Romanda noted Sharina was showing great skill with Nynaeve's new healing weaves. Looks like the three strongest women in the Tower (or soon to be) will be pretty close.

ETA: Under Egwene's notes, it says that she was keen to learn above all, and that there was as much Brown as Green to her temperament, with a strong dose of Gray. Interesting. I'd have said she was more Blue than Gray, but her time in the Tower does seem to have changed that substantially.

Last edited by fionwe1987; 10-16-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Elder

Have been trying to hold off reading more of the Companion until I can read it all at once, but fell off the wagon for a bit. I hope Amazon hasn't been keeping track of search terms used, as I've now reached the stage of searching for things like "Easing the Badger."

It appears that Min's viewing of Sarene having a tempestuous love affair was fulfilled off-screen with her Warder Vitalien. Vitalien is said to have been killed, but Sarene's post-AMoL status seems more uncertain: "Compelled by Graendal/Hessalam and used until her eyes were vacant." It's anyone's guess whether this means Sarene has permanently been left in a similar state as Mesaana. (I like to think somebody Healed her afterwards.)

I don't remember if this was ever alluded to in the books, but Niande Moorwyn, King Galldrian's advisor, apparently puzzled out that Thom killed him and why he did it, but wasn't happy about it since much suffering came out of that death.

I've previously wondered whether Moiraine counted as a wilder or not; her entry confirms that technically, she was.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Elder

Just received a notification from Amazon that the ebook version of the Companion has been sent to my Kindle app.

Have only read random entries so far, but some tidbits and impressions:
  • Several entries for main characters (most notably Egwene) were surprisingly short, and some for minor characters surprisingly detailed.
  • As previously noted, Calian and Shivan were apparently reborn shortly before the Last Battle, which means they cannot be Elayne's twins.
  • Elyas' Aes Sedai Rina "may actually have been his wife," and Elyas himself had more conflicted feelings about Aes Sedai than he liked to admit.
  • It seems a fair bet that Sharina really will end up as Lan's Aes Sedai advisor. "In Nynaeve’s Accepted test, she was counselor to Lan as King of Malkier. [...] An older woman, she had thought of going to the Tower as a child; she had also always wanted to see the Borderlands, especially Shienar, and most especially Malkier, a land which she held in the highest imaginable regard."
  • Both Sorilea and Therava are said to be over two hundred years old, which Therava's entry notes makes her one of the oldest living Aiel Wise Ones. However, unlike Sorilea, Therava only looks to be between 35-40.
  • Pillow friend threesomes are "fairly rare."
  • Valan Luca's entry was disappointingly short and neglected to mention his status as the true Dragon Reborn.

Last edited by sleepinghour; 11-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Youngling

The shortness of Egwene's entry surprised me too. While that is mostly because they didn't summarize her story in detail like they did for others, why that was is not clear to me. Rand's entry was long, but mentioned neither his strength nor his skills, and neither did LTT's, which was disappointing. Amys's strength remains a mystery.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Youngling

KilMichaelMcC is an unknown quantity at this point

An answer to a thing I've always wondered about: Breane Taborwin is Dobraine's brother's widow.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Youngling

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nakomi

Well, it doesn't give us a damn thing on Nakomi. Boooooo.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I've only kind of skimmed through random entries, but a few thoughts...

First, the disappointing things:

The only new maps, as far as I can tell, are of the Last Battle...which I didn't really care about. I was hoping for Tear and Illian...

Barthanes entry doesn't say who killed him.

Sahra's entry doesn't say who killed her.

Moghedien's secret missions to the 3 BAs who get sent away aren't revealed.

And some cool/interesting stuff:

Unlike the ToM glossary, it's confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Graendal directly killed Asmodean. Apparently she just stumbled on him and killed him, hoping to blame him for her mistakes in the future if everyone else thought he still lived.

This may have been sort of obvious, but the red veils from the Town were sent to destroy the Eye of the World, but failed to find it.

There is an entry for "songs" that lists the title of every song in the series.

Weiramon is confirmed to have been the High Lord at the DF social.

Tam and Kari had two children before finding Rand - a girl who died as an infant and a stillborn son.

Graendal sent Jain/Noal to Ebou Dar to search for the hidden cache of angreal.

Jennet Cobb (one of the rebels' "ferrets" in the White Tower) is the daughter of the original owners of the Queen's Blessing in Caemlyn. Basel Gill is a descendant of one of her brothers.

I'm sure I'll find more. I'm just kind of skimming like I said, not reading it cover to cover yet. I know some people are disappointed, but I'm happy with it. If something wasn't in RJs notes, it's not in the Companion. Annoying sometimes, but that's something I can accept.

Edit:
Thom is Andoran. I don't remember this ever being confirmed before. He was also Healed by an AS after fighting the Fade at Whitebridge.

I forget if this is mentioned in the books, but the prominent name of the AS that gentled Owyn is Elaida. She apparently knew that he was Thom's nephew, so she specifically targeted Owyn to draw a rift between Morgase and Thom.

Last edited by rand; 11-03-2015 at 11:58 PM.