art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

There's a surprising amount of detail on all the Ferrets. Not strength and other minutea, but about their character and their views on some things, and their pasts. It makes me think RJ had a lot planned for them with Egwene.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

I just got it and only skimmed a bit so far. One surprising thing I found is that apparently in Andor male nobles only inherit titles if they have no sisters. Given that so many of the High Seats of the major Andoran Houses were male (9 out of the 19 IIRC), that doesn't make much sense to me. There is also no mention that the Queen is selected by the majority vote of these High Seats.

Last edited by David Selig; 11-04-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
I just got it and only skimmed a bit so far. One surprising thing I found is that apparently in Andor male nobles only inherit titles if they have no sisters. Given that so many of the High Seats of the major Andoran Houses were male (9 out of the 19 IIRC), that doesn't make much sense to me. There is also no mention that the Queen is selected by the majority vote of these High Seats.
It is possible to not have sisters, I think. And it may well be that some of those sisters died childless in the previous Succession War.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Or in hunting accidents.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
It is possible to not have sisters, I think. And it may well be that some of those sisters died childless in the previous Succession War.
It's possible, but very unlikely to happen so often. Especially since noblewomen don't fight personally in battles unlike the men. And even among the less important Houses there are plenty of male High Seats.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
It's possible, but very unlikely to happen so often. Especially since noblewomen don't fight personally in battles unlike the men. And even among the less important Houses there are plenty of male High Seats.
But families without female offspring do exist. I'm not sure what the rates are, but a 50% split doesn't seem too egregious. We know Morgase, for instance, had no brother that we know of. I'm sure some families have male and female siblings, but hardly all need to.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but male offspring from leading families in Andor can't become king, so it would make sense for them to keep trying until they do produce a girl, who could become queen, if things turn out right. Which would tend to skew the statistics in the direction of "at least one girl" families.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, anything notable about
  • Ishy
  • Lanfear
  • Shara/ayyad
  • AOL
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon View Post
Well, it doesn't give us a damn thing on Nakomi. Boooooo.
I always had the impression that Nakomi is just... Nakomi and even the author didn't actually know who is this woman. Just some mystery.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOneElse View Post
Guys, anything notable about
  • Ishy
  • Lanfear
  • Shara/ayyad
  • AOL
Nothing really new, for any of these.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Youngling

Dirty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oath rod

Hi all, long time lurker, I'm originally from wotmania.

In the oath rod section, I thought it was odd that there was no mention of the infertility caused by the oath rod. I don't think there are any Aes Sedai that had children. Plenty of them had relationships with men. What do you think? Did it cause infertility?

Also noticed that Nicola bonded Areina as her warder. While still a novice.

Looking forward to reports from the book signing! Thanks for going!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Youngling

KilMichaelMcC is an unknown quantity at this point

Some background on Elyas Machera that I believe is new: he's Tairen, he ran off to the Borderlands seeking adventure at 14, eventually becoming a soldier in Shienar before being bonded by Rina, and met Lan during the last year of Lan's training in Shienar.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
In the oath rod section, I thought it was odd that there was no mention of the infertility caused by the oath rod. I don't think there are any Aes Sedai that had children. Plenty of them had relationships with men. What do you think? Did it cause infertility?
I believe the Aes Sedai just use moon tea, like other women.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Supreme Council

Two members of the Black Ajah's Supreme Council are mentioned in Velina's entry, her and Sedore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companion
Velina Behar. A Saldaean Aes Sedai of the White Ajah publicly and of the Black Ajah in truth.
Part of the Black Ajah's Supreme Council, she was one of two women on the Supreme Council who knew Alviarin's name; the other was Sedore Dajenna.
Her name was listed in Verin's book, but she fled the Tower and avoided capture.
This is obviously written not counting Galina, who of course is otherwise indisposed at this point. Otherwise, there would have been three who knew Alviarin's name.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
Two members of the Black Ajah's Supreme Council are mentioned in Velina's entry, her and Sedore.

This is obviously written not counting Galina, who of course is otherwise indisposed at this point. Otherwise, there would have been three who knew Alviarin's name.
Weirdly, Sedore's entry says:

Quote:
“ She sat on the Supreme Council of the Black Ajah, but did not know that Alviarin was Black Ajah. ”
And Sheriam's entry doesn't even say she was of the Supreme Council, which Egwene implied in tGS.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default More pillow friends

Seaine and Pevara were apparently pillow friends as novices and Accepted. And Talene was jealous of them, because she wanted to be pillow friends with Seaine. Ha.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
Seaine and Pevara were apparently pillow friends as novices and Accepted. And Talene was jealous of them, because she wanted to be pillow friends with Seaine. Ha.
Yeah that was interesting. And apparently Talene didn't want a threesome partly because Pevara was stronger in the power than her, and she hated to defer to anyone. Though... Accepted don't defer on the basis of strength, so why this mattered at all is beyond me.

By the way... can someone who has seen the notes confirm Amys's strength? There's nothing in her entry. Melaine is at level 17(5), same as Faolain. Egwene once said Amys was as strong as any sister in the Tower, while another time she said she was as strong as Theodrin, who is level 15(3).
Old 11-05-2015, 01:40 AM
Youngling

About the only piece of future info I can find is about Rhuidean:

Quote:
The city was reopened for habitation after the fog that had lain over the site was dissipated. Rand arranged for Ogier to be summoned, for rebuilding, and Rhuidean began to thrive and grow. All clans except the Shaido sent people there. After the city’s transformation, one end of the valley of Rhuidean contained a huge lake, with a river running off to the south. Both were astonishing sights for most Aiel. The city was destined to become a center for trade across the Waste.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:21 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

So, dantordhol has a nice ring to it...
Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

One thing that has struck me so far is that everyone seems to be ridiculously tall. Is the gravity of Randland less than earths?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Yeah that was interesting. And apparently Talene didn't want a threesome partly because Pevara was stronger in the power than her, and she hated to defer to anyone. Though... Accepted don't defer on the basis of strength, so why this mattered at all is beyond me.

By the way... can someone who has seen the notes confirm Amys's strength? There's nothing in her entry. Melaine is at level 17(5), same as Faolain. Egwene once said Amys was as strong as any sister in the Tower, while another time she said she was as strong as Theodrin, who is level 15(3).
Notes say 16(4).