art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ebraceletscharm, ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I'm not familiar with this series, but yeah, similar feel, albeit the animation quality leaves something to be desired.
Not sure if that's coz the version on here is low res. Barring that, I don't think I've seen better animation coreography. They might have skimped some on facial expression stuff this episode since it is action heavy and costs a lot to do, but for the most part, I don't think there's much better non-CGI animation to be had.

I highly recommend this series, and it's brilliant prequel, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Any fan of WoT should love both. However, NEVER watch The Last Airbender movie.

Quote:
And you can do an animated series in America that appeals to more than just kids or anime fans. Take for instance Archer, which is already in its 7th season. I really think that if they want to do the story justice, animation is the best option.
I agree. Archer is a good example, though obviously they'll want WoT to have a far larger audience.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Not sure if that's coz the version on here is low res. Barring that, I don't think I've seen better animation coreography. They might have skimped some on facial expression stuff this episode since it is action heavy and costs a lot to do, but for the most part, I don't think there's much better non-CGI animation to be had.

I highly recommend this series, and it's brilliant prequel, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Any fan of WoT should love both. However, NEVER watch The Last Airbender movie.

I agree. Archer is a good example, though obviously they'll want WoT to have a far larger audience.
Oh yeah, I've watched both series. And definitely agree on the film. Great series, terrible movie adaptation.

The only real complaint was that season 2 (the first half) kind of rehashed season 1 in regards to the love triangle schtick (a bit ironic considering how the series ends).

But if WOT did an animated show like LOK or The Last Airbender, I think that would work quite well. Just need to make sure that it doesn't go to waste like LOK did on Nickelodeon.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post

I didn't mean the choreography, that was fine. I just didn't like the character designs. Perhaps it is just that I'm too used to the anime style, that the characters in your link (an American, rather than Japanese made show) just looked ugly by comparison.

That's obviously going to be somewhat subjective, but here's an example of what I'd consider better artwork. It's from Haruhi, dubbed unfortunately...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjjO2gWAq9I

Quote:
Archer gets a pretty big audience. Much smaller than GoT, but GoT is on HBO and draws from a pretty wide audience demographic, as all the violence and nudity has wide appeal. A more pure fantasy show is going to be a bit more of a niche audience.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Oh yeah, I've watched both series. And definitely agree on the film. Great series, terrible movie adaptation.

The only real complaint was that season 2 (the first half) kind of rehashed season 1 in regards to the love triangle schtick (a bit ironic considering how the series ends).
Yeah Season 2 was the most inconsistent. And the romance was totally bleh.

Quote:
But if WOT did an animated show like LOK or The Last Airbender, I think that would work quite well. Just need to make sure that it doesn't go to waste like LOK did on Nickelodeon.
I think we can safely assume Nickelodon wasn't allowed to get its hands on this, though Viacom might have. I hope however does get their hands on this don't let it go to waste.

Quote:
I didn't mean the choreography, that was fine. I just didn't like the character designs. Perhaps it is just that I'm too used to the anime style, that the characters in your link (an American, rather than Japanese made show) just looked ugly by comparison.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the giant eyes and tiny noses in most Japanese anime. It is a distinct visual style, and can be quite suitable in some stories, but it would be all kinds of wrong for WoT.

And while I know this is entirely subjective and all, I think LoK characters look quite good (except when beaten up/poisoned/deranged with grief, as you see them here).

Quote:
Archer gets a pretty big audience. Much smaller than GoT, but GoT is on HBO and draws from a pretty wide audience demographic, as all the violence and nudity has wide appeal. A more pure fantasy show is going to be a bit more of a niche audience.
I'm pretty sure any WoT TV show will have a lot of violence, as do the books.

The nudity... well WoT has a lot of it, mostly casual. I sure hope they don't add too much sexualized nudity just to get the ratings, but I'm afraid some increase is bound to happen, given GoT's execrable example.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Toss in the gai'shain right after being captured, audiences will flock.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I actually think they should cut the nudity. It's not like any of it is really vital to the plot or tone of Wot. Nudity and extreme violence really set the tone in asoiaf, so it's necessary for the show. But WoT isn't asoiaf and they shouldn't try to make it be. Hopefully they don't think copying GoT is the only way to be successful.

On an unrelated note, how do you guys think they'll portray the Ways? If it's completely pitch black except in their small orb of torchlight, you won't see anything on screen. How do you give viewers a sense of all the islands and bridges and ramps? You can't really show any of it, and it would be kind of awkward to just have Rand say "oh snap, we're crossing a bridge now!" On the other hand it would be really cheap to film, as you wouldn't need much of a set.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
I actually think they should cut the nudity. It's not like any of it is really vital to the plot or tone of Wot. Nudity and extreme violence really set the tone in asoiaf, so it's necessary for the show. But WoT isn't asoiaf and they shouldn't try to make it be. Hopefully they don't think copying GoT is the only way to be successful.
Probably purely dependent on which channel it's on. If it's HBO, Showtime, Starz - there will be nudity. If it's on AMC, IFC, FX, Scyfy, BBCAmerica, etc. then there won't be any. Benefit of the former is bigger budget. I think it's highly unlikely that it would be on any of the regular networks, which is probably a good thing, as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, how do you guys think they'll portray the Ways? If it's completely pitch black except in their small orb of torchlight, you won't see anything on screen. How do you give viewers a sense of all the islands and bridges and ramps? You can't really show any of it, and it would be kind of awkward to just have Rand say "oh snap, we're crossing a bridge now!" On the other hand it would be really cheap to film, as you wouldn't need much of a set.
I've always pictured something similar to the trip through Moria, albeit more in the darkness of a path through the void than through a mountain range. Skimming will also be an interesting, and perhaps similar decision, but an issue for much later.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Going with the Moria idea, they could have Moiraine "risk a little light" like Gandalf and light up the Ways briefly, even if that contradicts the books a bit.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Or they could make it darkish, as in deep twilight, and only make it totally dark when the Black Wind appears. That would probably be the simplest solution.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It's not like scenes in 'total' darkness are uncommon; they always require a bit of suspension of disbelief.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

but... didn't they have lanterns in the Ways? I seem to recall something about the circle of light extending much less than the Youngsters expected, which was creepy. and at some point they could see the crumbled guidance pillars / island railings and such.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

That was the point; the light has to be restricted in such a way that the total darkness remains outside that small circle. They usually had to get right up on things to see them.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.
Who Wants To Be The Next Dragon!?!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

I'm excited.

I also hope they film it over here.

Vikings, GoT and currently Clan of the Cave bear(not announced as such but that's what it is) are filmed close by.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
At first LTT is going to be nothing. Then just a voice. Rand's chest? Or when he's locked up in Far Madding? Dragonmount? Those will be different...if the series gets that far.

Even 5 minutes, probably more, of CGI for the Green Man, the Eye & then the Forsaken who's names I don't feel like looking up will be a lot of CGI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Gonna need a lot of CGI effects for the big battles later on. The first book or two, maybe even three, should be okay with extras. After that though? We're talking LOTR and Hobbit levels of CGI.
You must also remember that LOTR came out 15 years ago (feel old yet?). CGI have become easier and cheaper by a lot since then. Still not cheap, but making OK CGI today doesn't have to be as a huge deal as it once was.

Trollocks, Green Man and Ogier will likely be masked people, as someone said, using forced perspective or perhaps a green screen makes it easier to make them larger than they are. You dress up 20 trollocks, 20 soldiers, have them scanned into a computer, then multiply them into a few hundred or thousands. The larger the mass, the further away the camera will be and the less defined features will be visible and then also easier to multiply into large groups. It's rarely needed to show extreme detail to a large variety of trollocks, having a few at hand that show man on trollock fighting is enough.

If I didnt' have better things to do I would like to start a skimmed re-read and break the first (few) book up in scenes and see what we are really up against

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
You must also remember that LOTR came out 15 years ago (feel old yet?). CGI have become easier and cheaper by a lot since then. Still not cheap, but making OK CGI today doesn't have to be as a huge deal as it once was.

Trollocks, Green Man and Ogier will likely be masked people, as someone said, using forced perspective or perhaps a green screen makes it easier to make them larger than they are. You dress up 20 trollocks, 20 soldiers, have them scanned into a computer, then multiply them into a few hundred or thousands. The larger the mass, the further away the camera will be and the less defined features will be visible and then also easier to multiply into large groups. It's rarely needed to show extreme detail to a large variety of trollocks, having a few at hand that show man on trollock fighting is enough.

If I didnt' have better things to do I would like to start a skimmed re-read and break the first (few) book up in scenes and see what we are really up against
A user named madeline Swann did that a while ago.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 AM
Elder

Did she ever actually do it though? I remember she started her thread like a month or two after mine, but I thought she just kind of left after a couple days. I'd be interested in seeing what she (or others) came up with.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... as someone like FOX would be guaranteed to cancel it after one season regardless of how many watch it because they could make more money on another awful reality show that costs next to nothing to produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Who Wants To Be The Next Dragon!?!
Who Wants To Marry The Dragon would probably bring higher ratings. Plus, it would be easier to justify the next series, and the ones in other countries.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Who Wants To Marry The Dragon would probably bring higher ratings.
You might be on to something Gonzo. After buddy's made his choice for which girl he wants they have a surprise bonus round to see if there's a first-sister, who totally turns out to be that bitch that everyone hates and was kicked off the sow in the 3rd episode for that thing she did.

It'd be like LTT picking Ilyena and finding out she's first-sisters with Lanfear.

This will result in massive drama (aka ratings) as he tries to decide if it's worth marrying both for the one he loves or if the sister is so toxic that it's just not worth it.

Get in touch with Hollywood Gonzo...
Old 05-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

Ooh, plus you get the "I'm not related to you, Elayne, but we have a common halfbrother" option that can really appeal to the Jerry Springer/Maury Povich set.