art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
A blond Moiraine? Cate Blanchett is also a bit tall for Moiraine. Rachel Weisz is more what I picture, though even she is too tall at 5'6". Would people really want many recognizable faces?
Hair color can be changed, you know.

Sean Bean can be Lan. It would be a nice inversion. Lan is the guy who's eternally ready to die, but never does.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Hair color can be changed, you know.

Sean Bean can be Lan. It would be a nice inversion. Lan is the guy who's eternally ready to die, but never does.
Sadly, it kind of defeats having Mr. Bean as Lan.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Sadly, it kind of defeats having Mr. Bean as Lan.
Mr. Bean as Lan
Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleshub View Post
Mr. Bean as Lan
I can see it... In a parody.

Yeah, realized what I typed after I posted it.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
They could use shades. Say maroon for saidar fire, and scarlet for saidin, navy for saidin water, carolina blue for saidar's, and so on. That said, even including shades, there should be 11 colors, not ten, since they'd need to account eventually for the True Power as well. Which does sort of beg the question, what color should TP be? Black?
When Demandred shields M'Hael/Taim, he uses a True Power shield that is made up of pure Spirit. So the TP is most likely also divided into five different flavours.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Idris Elba as Lan...just because damnit!!!

And because he's awesome in everything he does.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Idris Elba as Lan...just because damnit!!!

And because he's awesome in everything he does.
I could see that. As in he'd be a great fit. Obviously, he won't commit to such a show.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

A very compelling reason to favor animation for WoT is that a 1000+ characters can be performed by about 50 voice actors. There are others, but if it were to be done as live action, a lot of things could be solved by POV filming. Min's auras and channeling effects could be done this way while in normal view you only see the results of channeling and there are a lot of ways to use it as a drama tool. Think for example the attack on the al'Thor farm at the very beginning. When Rand goes back to the house, parts of it could be filmed from his point of view such as peeking around a corner or opening the door. It would make many situations more dramatic and getting viewers used to this routine early would pay off later when you want to show how a world is different for a channeler.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
A very compelling reason to favor animation for WoT is that a 1000+ characters can be performed by about 50 voice actors. There are others, but if it were to be done as live action, a lot of things could be solved by POV filming. Min's auras and channeling effects could be done this way while in normal view you only see the results of channeling and there are a lot of ways to use it as a drama tool. Think for example the attack on the al'Thor farm at the very beginning. When Rand goes back to the house, parts of it could be filmed from his point of view such as peeking around a corner or opening the door. It would make many situations more dramatic and getting viewers used to this routine early would pay off later when you want to show how a world is different for a channeler.
I know myself and a couple others have said we're all for an animated series, provided the art style is done right, but the only problem, is that there is still a HUGE dogma against animation in the West. In that, anything animated, is solely for children. Obviously, not true (Heavy Metal comes to mind as something animated in the West and certainly not for kids), but it remains.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 AM
Youngling

ChrisW has a spectacular aura aboutChrisW has a spectacular aura about

Hugh Laurie as Thom
Old 06-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Youngling

klye is on a distinguished road
Default No news?

It feels a bit odd that an announcement has not yet been made. Any news folks?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klye View Post
It feels a bit odd that an announcement has not yet been made. Any news folks?
IGN did an article. But all that's been said is that the studio will be making an announcement soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...as-a-tv-series
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Youngling

Default Whoa... its been another month?

I wonder - could this big time studio be waiting on the GOT finale before their announcement?

Anybody know whats going on with this TV rendition?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klye View Post
I wonder - could this big time studio be waiting on the GOT finale before their announcement?

Anybody know whats going on with this TV rendition?
Honestly, if anyone on here had any inside info, it would most likely be one of the posters that has been in contact with Harriet. Otherwise, the only thing that's out there, is that some big studio bought it up.

Though my guess would be HBO, all things considered. GOT is drawing to a close (like one or two more seasons at most), and they'll need something else to take that spot.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
A good pick and then he'd get to limp again. I'm sure he's missed it.

This kind of fits in with his relationship with Morgase and Elayne in a kind of creepy pedo way.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Youngling

Default Broken Record

Obviously I have no idea what is the normal time schedule for these things. But it's been another two weeks. Anyone hear news about the TV show? What could be a hold up behind an announcement of who owns the rights now?!?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that they don't know?

Any resemblance between legal rulings and logic is coincidental and not the fault of the universe.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

So one of my coworkers just had an interesting idea: what if the TV series isn't based on the books, but instead based on what was to come after, like Mat & Tuon retaking Seanchan.

For those that are worried about the lack of GoT-style gore & nudity in the early books and the lack of an audience draw that might represent, this could certainly provide for that...and give more of a wrap up that was given.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
So one of my coworkers just had an interesting idea: what if the TV series isn't based on the books, but instead based on what was to come after, like Mat & Tuon retaking Seanchan.

For those that are worried about the lack of GoT-style gore & nudity in the early books and the lack of an audience draw that might represent, this could certainly provide for that...and give more of a wrap up that was given.
... Think people will complain about the lack of incestuous relationships that basically drove the GOT plotline?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

That's what works with setting it after Tarmon Gaidon: they can add/steal whatever they want to.