art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Stay safe and keep your head up. There really is light at the end of the tunnel at this point for you.
Just hope that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
Lincoln once said that America would be destroyed from within. With progressives striking out against American patriotism by attacking our flag and what we stand for, it's only a matter of time before we are taken over.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/11...ampaign=buffer

The weak-minded pansy liberals on college campuses who can't handle not getting what they want continue to destroy the flag and everything that represents America. In Maryland, the song Party in the USA is now considered offensive.

Keep it up, liberals. We are only a generation or two away from losing what we take advantage of. The American flag may be "offensive" now to the rich, sensitive snowflakes who aren't getting what they want, but wait until the country is transformed into what you now see in the Middle East.
I must have stopped posting long before this guy showed up. I'd remember this.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
I must have stopped posting long before this guy showed up. I'd remember this.
He's our new resident far right wing nutter...its easier than going to The Blaze/Breitbart to get the latest talking points at least.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's our new resident far right wing nutter...its easier than going to The Blaze/Breitbart to get the latest talking points at least.
Did you notice whose name is floating recently for heading the VA?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...affairs-report

Hopefully this one is just Trump trolling America.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Did you notice whose name is floating recently for heading the VA?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...affairs-report

Hopefully this one is just Trump trolling America.
Yeah, I saw that yesterday...At this point, its all you can do to just laugh.

I mean, Petreaus would be the height of hypocrisy after all the BS they pulled about Clinton and her alleged mishandling of classified as SecState. Petreaus actually did massively and deliberately mishandle classified and would have to get permission from his probation officer to even travel to DC but he's somehow a legit candidate for any high office? I dont care how smart or qualified he is otherwise...he should never again be in any position where he's got access to sensitive information. And I say that as someone who actually likes, knows and respected him for years.

Palin as anything at all? I mean, WTF??? Having a son who was in the national guard for a little bit doesn't qualify you to run one of hte largest healthcare networks in the country that millions of veterans rely upon for all of their health needs. The VA has 330,000 employees and they serve over 6 million veterans as their only source of medical care. And that's not even counting the other half of their organization that handles VA disability benefits and even things like VA loans, etc. Its such a massive organization that so many people that have no other options depend on and they need someone who can fix the issues thtey already have due to being underfunded and crapped on repeatedly by the GOP for the last 15 years since they started both wars that gave us another generation of massively injured vets with a huge host of medical (physical and psychological) issues. Even considering someone like Palin is a massive FU to every single Vet who needs their help.

But hey, carry on you small handed insecure POS.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

His choice for Sec of Defense actually seems somewhat decent, though it does tend to underscore, just as have the variegated collection of Sec of State candidates, just how erratic Trump's views on foreign policy are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us...nse-trump.html

For instance, in contrast to Trump...

Quote:
But in some important policy areas, General Mattis differs from Mr. Trump, who has been filling the top ranks of his national security team with hard-liners. General Mattis believes, for instance, that Mr. Trump’s conciliatory statements toward Russia are ill informed. General Mattis views with alarm Moscow’s expansionist or bellicose policies in Syria, Ukraine and the Baltics. And he has told the president-elect that torture does not work.

Despite his tough stance on Iran, General Mattis also thinks that tearing up the Iran nuclear deal would hurt the United States, and he favors working closely with allies to strictly enforce its terms.
Mattis is far more hawkish than the type of defense secretary that I would have chosen, but at least he seems both qualified and competent. And he at least will be a voice of reason hopefully on Russia, and perhaps even pragmatic enough to see the obvious need to keep the nuclear treaty with Iran. Trump unfortunately seems to like to pair one reasonable selection with two batshit awful ones.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Ancient

Quote:
I mean, Petreaus would be the height of hypocrisy after all the BS they pulled about Clinton and her alleged mishandling of classified as SecState. Petreaus actually did massively and deliberately mishandle classified and would have to get permission from his probation officer to even travel to DC but he's somehow a legit candidate for any high office? I dont care how smart or qualified he is otherwise...he should never again be in any position where he's got access to sensitive information. And I say that as someone who actually likes, knows and respected him for years.
The parade of prospective clowns unfortunately is becoming even more ridiculous.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...etary-of-state

An Exxon-Mobil CEO? If this was for Energy Sec I would be disgusted, but not surprised (as it happens the name floated there, for Energy, is somewhat insidiously clever - Joe Manchin). But for Sec of State? This one hopefully is too amateurish even for Trump, though frankly none of the names mentioned, except Corker, are qualified for the job. And unfortunately this recent Taiwan issue helps underscore just how much Trump, and we (since we're the ones stuck handcuffed to this moron), needs someone that knows what he/she is doing in that position, because clearly he doesn't...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38194371
Old 12-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Ancient

This isn't quite a requiescat for Italia, but it does seem that this demagogic cancer that began in Britannia, and metastasized to America, has now spread to Hesperia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38204189

Quote:
There has been an immediate reaction from right-wing leaders in Europe.
The leader of Front Nationale in France, Marine Le Pen, tweeted her congratulations to the Northern League.
"The Italians have disavowed the EU and Renzi. We must listen to this thirst for freedom of nations," she said.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

More good news. Ben Carson for Housing and Urban Development.

Because, you know... he once lived in public housing in an urban area. Much the same way that if you eat at McDonalds, you can run a kitchen in a restaurant.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
More good news. Ben Carson for Housing and Urban Development.

Because, you know... he once lived in public housing in an urban area. Much the same way that if you eat at McDonalds, you can run a kitchen in a restaurant.
Well, you see, he's black and only black people live in the inner cities so he's qualified...because he's black.

Yes, that is the extent of this appointment.

Same with having Nikki Haley, a small state governor with zero foreign policy experience, serve as UN Ambassador. You see, she's brown so she can talk to all those brown foreigners.

Its a great world that dumbass is building.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Ancient

I at least get Nikki Haley- she's being groomed with additional foreign policy experience for a run in a few years.

Carson though...

Old 12-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

This is one thing I really don't understand about the American system. How can you have all these appointments to people that weren't elected. For a nation where just about every possible position right down to Coroner is elected, having the cabinet members be appointed is a head scratchier.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
This is one thing I really don't understand about the American system. How can you have all these appointments to people that weren't elected. For a nation where just about every possible position right down to Coroner is elected, having the cabinet members be appointed is a head scratchier.
Some of these positions have to be confirmed by Congress, but we've directly elected the president - well sort of, he did get around 2 million fewer actual votes, but unfortunately, enough to win in the electoral college. It is not particularly different from how the cabinet level positions are selected in Britain or Canada, though typically in both, cabinet ministers need to be members of Parliament, correct? Nonetheless, you're no more electing them directly to be Foreign Secretary than do we to be our Secretary of State.

The one position where this process truly is reprehensible is with our Supreme Court, since unlike with the cabinet, we're going to be stuck with whatever handful of new appointments Trump makes quite a few decades beyond the end of his tenure of his presidency. We only started directly electing senators in 1913, considering how political, and how politically divisive the supreme court has become, it would seem long past due to both directly elect the justices, and to elect them for a defined, and limited, term in office. Of course attempting to do anything that would require amending the constitution is nigh impossible.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Some of these positions have to be confirmed by Congress, but we've directly elected the president - well sort of, he did get around 2 million fewer actual votes, but unfortunately, enough to win in the electoral college. It is not particularly different from how the cabinet level positions are selected in Britain or Canada, though typically in both, cabinet ministers need to be members of Parliament, correct? Nonetheless, you're no more electing them directly to be Foreign Secretary than do we to be our Secretary of State.

The one position where this process truly is reprehensible is with our Supreme Court, since unlike with the cabinet, we're going to be stuck with whatever handful of new appointments Trump makes quite a few decades beyond the end of his tenure of his presidency. We only started directly electing senators in 1913, considering how political, and how politically divisive the supreme court has become, it would seem long past due to both directly elect the justices, and to elect them for a defined, and limited, term in office. Of course attempting to do anything that would require amending the constitution is nigh impossible.
If you could directly elect them, there would be zero qualifications for them...at least now, they basically have to be an Ivy league lawyer/judge with plenty of federal experience. We dont need the judicial equivalent of Trump on the highest bench in the land.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
though typically in both, cabinet ministers need to be members of Parliament, correct?
This is correct, and a crucial difference. Any cabinet position will be filled by an elected member of parliament, and not just some yahoo that has deep pockets and/or a penchant for extreme ass-kissing.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
This is correct, and a crucial difference. Any cabinet position will be filled by an elected member of parliament, and not just some yahoo that has deep pockets and/or a penchant for extreme ass-kissing.
Sadly, in the US, it really wouldn't matter since there are plenty of those crazies in our Congress anyway.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

But at least people voted for those ass-kissers. Most of the people that Trump is selecting seem only have "failed to get elected on the federal level" in common. Plenty of congress types seem to serve on committees and the like. Why not just add the Privy Council/Cabinet Members or whatever you call them the same?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
There are some lower level cabinet positions that typically get filled this way, but what you're describing above tends to be more how ambassadorships usually get allotted. Upper cabinet positions (like for Sec of State or Defense) typically go to ex-magistrates, often prestigious vanquished foes from the primaries - people like Hillary Clinton and John Kerry. The same is oft true of how one picks a VP. Treasury tends to go to Wall Street types, often non-partisan, with deep roots both with the Federal Reserve and with the Investment Banks, often ex-Goldman Sachs execs. Chiefs of Staff often are ex-magistrates too.

Part of the issue here is that we can't have them simultaneously hold positions both in the Cabinet and continue to hold a seat in Congress.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
But at least people voted for those ass-kissers. Most of the people that Trump is selecting seem only have "failed to get elected on the federal level" in common. Plenty of congress types seem to serve on committees and the like. Why not just add the Privy Council/Cabinet Members or whatever you call them the same?
Part of the issue is that Trump is coming from business rather than from government, part of the issue is that republicans tend to mistrust both government and experience in governing. They wanted an amateur that would burn the house down. Of course, the Bernie crowd seemingly wanted the exact same thing...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Well, you see, he's black and only black people live in the inner cities so he's qualified...because he's black.

Yes, that is the extent of this appointment.

Same with having Nikki Haley, a small state governor with zero foreign policy experience, serve as UN Ambassador. You see, she's brown so she can talk to all those brown foreigners.

Its a great world that dumbass is building.
Ooops. Looks like I was mistaken- he never lived in public housing. But he had friends who did.

So yeah. Now he's got nothing.

Closed Thread