art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Maybe it'll dry up due to global warming...given that he's just selected one of the most vocal opponents to any sort of climate control to be the head of the Environmental Protection Agency...Oklahoma AG Scott Pruitt.

For the non-Americans here, Oklahoma is literally owned 100% by the oil & gas industry and Pruitt has fought the federal gov't tooth and nail on every and any measure that could possibly slow down climate change. Its the equivalent of picking the fox to guard your hen house.
Not 100%. There's a few Indian reservations on the land that didn't have oil or gas.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Not 100%. There's a few Indian reservations on the land that didn't have oil or gas.
And to be fair to the oil and gas industry...they dont just take, they're also givers. I mean, without them, OK wouldn't have the hundreds to thousands of earthquakes that they now get to enjoy due to the massive amount of fracking they do there...nor would people in rural NY and PA be able to light their tap water on fire for much the same reason.

He literally picked a guy that doesn't believe in climate change to head the EPA. What a freaking POS.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Maybe it'll dry up due to global warming...given that he's just selected one of the most vocal opponents to any sort of climate control to be the head of the Environmental Protection Agency...Oklahoma AG Scott Pruitt.

For the non-Americans here, Oklahoma is literally owned 100% by the oil & gas industry and Pruitt has fought the federal gov't tooth and nail on every and any measure that could possibly slow down climate change. Its the equivalent of picking the fox to guard your hen house.
Interesting that you should mention a hen house, since...

Quote:
On March 6, 2014, Pruitt joined a lawsuit targeting California's prohibition on the sale of eggs laid by caged hens kept in conditions more restrictive than those approved by California voters. Less than a week later, Pruitt announced that he would investigate the Humane Society of the United States, one of the principal proponents of the California law.[11][12]

On September 9, 2014, in Pruitt v. Burwell, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma ruled against the IRS.[13]

In October 2014, a California judge dismissed the lawsuit, rejecting the arguments of Pruitt and the other attorneys-general concerning California's Proposition 2, a 2008 ballot initiative. Judge Kimberly Mueller ruled that Oklahoma and the other states lacked legal standing to sue on behalf of their residents and that Pruitt and other plaintiffs were representing the interests of egg farmers, rather than "a substantial statement of their populations." [14][15][16]
But, yeah, silliness aside, dude is a definitely a shill for the fracking industry.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/s...icle-1.2902255

Quote:
Sometimes we say that so and so is a “mouthpiece” of some special interest, meaning that they’re in cahoots, that they express their views. Or maybe we say someone’s a “puppet” of industry. Most of the time these are metaphors.

But sometimes they’re literal. Scott Pruitt, Donald Trump’s pick to head the EPA, is a mouthpiece and a puppet of the fossil-fuel industry. He’s a stenographer.

How do we know this? We know this because in 2014 Pruitt sent a letter to that same EPA in his capacity as attorney general of Oklahoma. The letter argued that the agency was dramatically overstating how much pollution new gas wells in his state were causing.

He was wrong (the EPA has actually dramatically underestimated the pollution from fracking, as they’ve lately admitted), but never mind that. What was interesting was the letter.

It turned out that it had been written by the good folks at Devon Energy, a local oil and gas company. And Pruitt had taken their words, and put it on his letterhead, and passed it on to the EPA as the official position of the state.

And he did the same thing with letters to President Obama and the secretary of the interior. Once he’d dispatched the company’s letters to D.C. on his stationery, his staff wrote to Devon Energy to report back, and, according to the New York Times, got a pat on the head from the company’s executive vice-president for public affairs.
This unfortunately is the typical sort of EPA that I would expect from any Republican, not just Trump. The generals though, and the continued parade of candidates from all across the spectrum (well, the spectrum of the right) for State however is atypical. Part of this problem with State might just be difficulty finding someone who would want to work with him. Corker is the obvious choice, and it may still be him, but Trump certainly doesn't appear to be taking this position, and its filling, anywhere near serious enough. And he clearly needs to, because this game that he is playing this past week with China is worrisome.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I agree for the most part, but I think he would have likely appointed someone far too iconoclastic to Treasury, that and I was obviously anxious about what he might try to an extent with the ACA, and especially with Education.
Bernie's Treasury appointment is the one I was looking forward to the most. I'm sure he would have picked someone like Warren (if not Warren herself), i.e. highly qualified but in no way beholden.

Quote:
I guess I would posit the true divide like this - I imagine that neither of us really liked Hillary, but voters like Terez clearly really disliked her for reasons that I still find difficult to fathom. Though clearly I nearly dislike Bernie as much as she does Hillary. I wish I could have had the choice of someone like Biden, and to be blunt, I don't really get the impression that Terez thought much better of Joe than she did Hillary.
I thought they were both bad candidates for completely different reasons. But of course, Bernie was a bad candidate too. He just had a far better chance of winning this year than Hillary ever did. Hillary was probably the worst candidate we could have chosen (and mind you, this has nothing to do with her résumé).

Quote:
She certainly doesn't seem to like Obama much either...
I have no idea where you got that from. Certainly some of his choices have disappointed me, but I voted for him twice enthusiastically.

Quote:
...and she gave the impression (I may be in error here, but this certainly seemed the case) that had Hillary picked Warren (as she clearly should have), that she would have considered it a betrayal had Warren accepted.
As running mate? I dunno if I would go so far as "betrayal" though I do think it would have been unwise on Warren's part. That said, I never thought she was a likely choice for Hillary's running mate.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Bernie's Treasury appointment is the one I was looking forward to the most. I'm sure he would have picked someone like Warren (if not Warren herself), i.e. highly qualified but in no way beholden.
I figured that he would have picked Warren as either his VP or Sec of State. Warren just doesn't seem as adversarial with Wall Street as Bernie does. I figured he would have picked someone from academia, rather than someone serving in government. Picking a member of Congress for Treasury just strikes me as odd. Still, he could have just picked someone like Robert Reich. That would have been a good pick, though I still think that Reich is better in Labor (where he was with Bill), and would prefer someone like Krugman at Treasury. But, then I don't get the impression that Krugman and Bernie see eye to eye on economics, so obviously not the type of academic that Bernie would have chosen.

Quote:
I have no idea where you got that from. Certainly some of his choices have disappointed me, but I voted for him twice enthusiastically.
Yeah, I was most hesitant on this one, and this is still the issue that confuses me since you clearly seem to like Tammy Duckworth. I don't see any difference between Tammy, Hillary, and Obama, and the clearest difference between Bernie and Hillary is over free trade. Those free trade deals were more Obama's policies than Hillary's. Obama (and Bill) is far more charismatic than Hillary. Far better at selling a message and inspiring voters. Hillary clearly was awful at that.

Quote:
As running mate? I dunno if I would go so far as "betrayal" though I do think it would have been unwise on Warren's part. That said, I never thought she was a likely choice for Hillary's running mate.
I still think that this was Hillary's worst mistake. Though in retrospect, maybe she should have just offered the position directly to Bernie. Even if he would have just turned her down, he did seem to give the impression that he was annoyed that she didn't at least give him the opportunity to politely decline. Regardless she really miscalculated when she picked Kaine. Something needed to be done to reach out more to Bernie's supporters.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I figured that he would have picked Warren as either his VP or Sec of State.
That last would have been a ridiculous choice. I doubt Bernie would have made that mistake.

Quote:
Warren just doesn't seem as adversarial with Wall Street as Bernie does.
The difference is mostly rhetorical. Warren is definitely a radical when it comes to banking.

Quote:
I figured he would have picked someone from academia, rather than someone serving in government. Picking a member of Congress for Treasury just strikes me as odd. Still, he could have just picked someone like Robert Reich. That would have been a good pick, though I still think that Reich is better in Labor (where he was with Bill), and would prefer someone like Krugman at Treasury.
Why Krugman over Reich? Just curious.

Quote:
Yeah, I was most hesitant on this one, and this is still the issue that confuses me since you clearly seem to like Tammy Duckworth. I don't see any difference between Tammy, Hillary, and Obama, and the clearest difference between Bernie and Hillary is over free trade.
You're taking their platforms at face value, then. As for Tammy Duckworth, I expect different things from a Senator than I do from a President, but either way she and Hillary are very different politicians with very different histories.

Quote:
Those free trade deals were more Obama's policies than Hillary's.
This I doubt.

Quote:
Obama (and Bill) is far more charismatic than Hillary. Far better at selling a message and inspiring voters. Hillary clearly was awful at that.
I like Hillary better than I like Bill.

I find it interesting that you think of me as one of the "most intransigent" Hillary opponents when I made it clear several times that I would have voted for her if I lived in a state somewhat more likely to decide the election than Illinois.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Why won't Tammy Duckworth stand up for veterans??!?!?!?!!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Ancient

Quote:
That last would have been a ridiculous choice. I doubt Bernie would have made that mistake.

Why Krugman over Reich? Just curious.
Why not Sec of State? It's definitely more prestigious than Treasury, and most would consider it more influential, and it's far more (unless the president dies) important than VP. If offered all three, Sec of State is definitely the position that I would accept. Do you think she just doesn't have enough foreign policy experience? I'd have probably gone with Joe for Sec of State myself, but Warren would have seemed one of the obvious other potential candidates for a dem administration.

As for Krugman over Reich, they both have an economics background, and are both Keynesians (which as far as I'm concerned should be a prerequisite, at least for anyone that I would choose) but Krugman's is far deeper, including even a Nobel. Krugman is also less hostile to free trade. I obviously disagree with Bernie on this point of policy. Reich's experience is more on the public policy side. I like them both, but Reich seems more suited for Labor.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

New head of the Small Business Association has, like the President-Elect, also failed to effectively sell a Stone-Cold Stunner. She also runs a large business which she built up by shutting down competing small businesses.

And the new head of the Department of Labor is a fast-food magnate vehemently opposed to increased overtime pay, raising the minimum wage, and unionization.

It's like the only qualification you need to run one of Trump's agencies is an open hostility to it's raison d'etre. That, and have given a shit ton of money to the Trump campaign.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Why not Sec of State? It's definitely more prestigious than Treasury, and most would consider it more influential, and it's far more (unless the president dies) important than VP. If offered all three, Sec of State is definitely the position that I would accept. Do you think she just doesn't have enough foreign policy experience?
It's certainly the area where she has the least experience. One could argue that she needs the experience if she's going to run in the future, but I wouldn't say she's qualified for the job, no. The Secretary of State needs to be, if anything, more experienced at foreign policy than the President. It's not a job you hand out as a political favor, but then, that's what you guys were talking about before I heard my name.

Quote:
As for Krugman over Reich, they both have an economics background, and are both Keynesians (which as far as I'm concerned should be a prerequisite, at least for anyone that I would choose) but Krugman's is far deeper, including even a Nobel. Krugman is also less hostile to free trade. I obviously disagree with Bernie on this point of policy. Reich's experience is more on the public policy side. I like them both, but Reich seems more suited for Labor.
For me, the difference between Krugman and Reich is that Krugman is an a priori economist. And that's a crucial difference.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's like the only qualification you need to run one of Trump's agencies is an open hostility to it's raison d'etre.
Well, Trump is going to be POTUS. Interesting times ahead.

Quote:
That, and have given a shit ton of money to the Trump campaign.
Does Trump meet this qualification?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Ancient

Quote:
It's certainly the area where she has the least experience. One could argue that she needs the experience if she's going to run in the future, but I wouldn't say she's qualified for the job, no. The Secretary of State needs to be, if anything, more experienced at foreign policy than the President. It's not a job you hand out as a political favor, but then, that's what you guys were talking about before I heard my name.
Yeah, her committee assignments (Banking, Health, and Aging) don't really read like a typical foreign policy curriculum. Hillary, in addition to being First Lady, had also been on Armed Services. Kerry had been the Chair of Foreign Relations. Still, Warren is obviously more qualified for the job than Romney is, so it wouldn't have been a completely outlandish selection. The only two names on Trump's list that are really qualified are Corker and Bolton. Bolton would be worst case scenario, but would make Trump's recent saber-rattling towards China suddenly make a lot more (but still as unsettling) sense.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything in the US Constitution that explicitly says the posts have to be filled by two different people?
Why not have the VP be Secretary of State too?

Come to think of it: couldn't Trump be his own VP next time he runs? I'm sure his ego is big enough for both positions at once.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Why not Sec of State? It's definitely more prestigious than Treasury, and most would consider it more influential, and it's far more (unless the president dies) important than VP. If offered all three, Sec of State is definitely the position that I would accept. Do you think she just doesn't have enough foreign policy experience? I'd have probably gone with Joe for Sec of State myself, but Warren would have seemed one of the obvious other potential candidates for a dem administration.

VP can be a great position...depending on the President. Both Cheney and Biden were very powerful VPs and I suspect Pence will do a lot more than the normal VP too.

Of course, most VPs end up being like Dan Quayle or even Harry Truman (who was selected as VP by the party bosses to shut him up for the most part since he was being super annoying (to them at least) with his Senate hearings on defense industry corruption during WWII. They have zero power and basically get put in a padded room unless needed (ie President dies).

Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Is there anything in the US Constitution that explicitly says the posts have to be filled by two different people?
Why not have the VP be Secretary of State too?

Come to think of it: couldn't Trump be his own VP next time he runs? I'm sure his ego is big enough for both positions at once.
No, there is no Constitutional bar there...since the office of Sec of State isn't even mentioned in the Constitution. None of the cabinet positions are. The only Executive Branch positions mentioned in the Constitution are POTUS and the VP. The rest was basically made up wholesale by Washington and Hamilton during the first Administration. Washington essentially said "You guys are cool, I want you all to keep advising me like the good old days...so have a position on my council...we'll call it a "Cabinet" because who doesn't like cabinets..." And thus Democracy was born in the US.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Ancient

Third Goldman Sachs executive named to Trump's administration. Gary Cohn.

That'll stick it to those Wall Street banksters and globalists!

Last edited by StrangePackage; 12-09-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Now they have to make policy and be accountable for it.
A surprising plan, but who knows? Maybe it'll actually work.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

That'll stick it to those Wall Street banisters and globalists!
Draining the swamp...by appointing them all to the Administration.

No conflicts of interest there!!!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:

That'll stick it to those Wall Street banisters and globalists!
I feel kind of bad for the people who actually believed he was going to stick it to banksters and globalists. But, I suspect 90% of his enthusiastic supporters don't even know what globalism is really and they just like him because he's not PC.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Dump Star Wars?
And why should it be boycotted?
Quote:
In a Periscope video, Jack Posobiec, who is an activist with Citizens for Trump, claimed the writers had said the Empire in the film "is a white supremacist organisation like the Trump administration and the diverse rebels are going to defeat them".
Allegedly, the Star Wars makers falsely accused the Empire of being a white supremacist organisation. Obviously, considering the color preference of both the Emperor and Darth Vader when it came to clothing, that slur is totally unjustified. When it comes to the Trump administration, of course, things are entirely different. But that isn't Hollywood fiction, so it doesn't have to be PC.