art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Trump won because of a teacher getting fired in Canada?

I knew the fucking Canadians were to blame for this shit.

SBX, you sneaky kilted yaksman, what did America ever do to you!?
Fired from a private school mind you...exactly the type of at will employment situation that the GOP champions ironically.

Had it been a public school with union employees, that teacher is still employed...but the right hates Unions, hates employee protections, and would never support such a thing.

He's trying to make it a free speech thing but then that would show a startling lack of understanding of how the 1st Amendment works given that it was again a PRIVATE school, not a government one and thus even if it were the US, the 1st Amendment protections wouldn't apply since its not freedom from consequences, its freedom from being inprisoned for your speech (with several very well defined legal exceptions like yelling 'fire' in a movie theater. You'd think a law student would understand the difference there. There's nothing that says your employer cant fire you for making a comment or stating an opinion after all...either here or in Canada (who I suspect likely has more stringent employee protections than most of the US at this point).

But yeah...any other idiotic Blaze articles you want to link?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 12-12-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Fired from a private school mind you...exactly the type of at will employment situation that the GOP champions ironically.

Had it been a public school with union employees, that teacher is still employed...but the right hates Unions, hates employee protections, and would never support such a thing.

He's trying to make it a free speech thing but then that would show a startling lack of understanding of how the 1st Amendment works given that it was again a PRIVATE school, not a government one and thus even if it were the US, the 1st Amendment protections would apply since its not freedom from consequences, its freedom from being inprisoned for your speech (with several very well defined legal exceptions like yelling 'fire' in a movie theater. You'd think a law student would understand the difference there. There's nothing that says your employer cant fire you for making a comment or stating an opinion after all...either here or in Canada (who I suspect likely has more stringent employee protections than most of the US at this point).

But yeah...any other idiotic Blaze articles you want to link?
Oooh, this should be fun. Let's see... Ave Maria? Thomas M. Cooley? Appalachian School of Law?

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Granted, this assumes the incident in question even happened. Given that the source is The Blaze, there's a distinct possibility the entire thing is fictional.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trump won because of a teacher getting fired in Canada?

I knew the fucking Canadians were to blame for this shit.

SBX, you sneaky kilted yaksman, what did America ever do to you!?
Well, there's you for one, Trump for another, Southpaw is a third. I mean, really, just spin in a circle and point at something. It's probably one of the reasons.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Well, there's you for one, Trump for another, Southpaw is a third. I mean, really, just spin in a circle and point at something. It's probably one of the reasons.
After your chemical warfare attack in Vegas, that I didn't report to the UN, this is the thanks I get?

Have you no decency?

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Communist Nazi Canuckistan. Decency isn't a thing we have. We've got dirt, snow, mullets, horrible media producers that become stupidly popular in your country, and hockey.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Ancient

Your country reeeeeeks of trees!

Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yes. Maple trees. Maple. Dammit, I can't find the video.

Here, take a look at Southpaw's "media" sources for Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfBzWJVbX4
Old 12-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Ancient

Quote:

I can't take you seriously, what with your beady little eyes and flapping head all full of lies.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I can't take you seriously, what with your beady little eyes and flapping head all full of lies.
Said the cat with a sword...
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Also, for the record, Sweden is a wonderful country.
Just popping in to say that the time for using Sweden as a good example is long past.

Because it's pretty much one charismatic person away from blowing up.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-13-2016, 03:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was sticking to more basic concepts like science and mad made climate change.
That's a new version to me. But as they say: teach the controversy!

Quote:
I'm from Communist Nazi Canuckistan. Decency isn't a thing we have. We've got dirt, snow, mullets, horrible media producers that become stupidly popular in your country, and hockey.
I suspect that the Canadians (using US technology), rather than the Chinese, are behind climate change. And of course you foisted off Justin Bieber on the rest of the world, when you could've kept him to yourself as any decent country would have done.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That hot ass at 0:23.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-13-2016, 05:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was sticking to more basic concepts like science and mad made climate change.

etc etc.

You're pushing into philosophy and other far more lofty ideals than that.
I know. I'm just pointing out to you that you can't claim them to be the ignorant ones. Their ignorance is more harmful as their beliefs are more firmly based on their selfishness, but they still aren't the only ones who are ignorant.

You speak of science but your approach to it is exactly the same as a christian's to his god and prophets. The prophets of science are superior to those of any religion and thus the believers are more likely to believe in something real, but so long as they don't make the effort to understand why and how these things are true, they are on the same mental level as the followers of religions.

You say that I push into philosophy, but a true scientist is a philosopher. What people call knowledge is merely beliefs they think are true. When they understand why and how a belief is true or false they achieve a piece of wisdom. Understanding is the difference between ignorance and wisdom. Being right matters, but so long as you don't understand why you are right, it's just a lucky guess and that matters too. You may be better than the others, but until you cross this line you won't be good enough.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
That'd be 242 total...assuming none of the potentially faithless electors that have threatened to not vote for Hillary too don't jump ship. Trump won 306-232.

So we'd need at least 37 electors to jump from Trump to Hillary for it to matter. And most would likely jump from Trump to someone like McMullen or Johnson which would throw the election into the House which would either give us Trump anyway due to the massive GOP majority or give us President Pence or President Paul Ryan.
Yeah...but think about the tears of rage that would happen if it did. Also, if they are worried about Putin and Russia's involvement I don't think they're going to change their vote to a 3rd party, they're going to want to block Trump.

I know it's a nigh impossibility, but if it happened it'd make all the crap of 2016 worth it.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 12-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I suspect that the Canadians (using US technology), rather than the Chinese, are behind climate change. And of course you foisted off Justin Bieber on the rest of the world, when you could've kept him to yourself as any decent country would have done.
Celine Dion, Tom Green, Mike Meyers. The list goes on. We would have buried him, but he was too popular down in the States to do that. We don't understand it either.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 12-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Just popping in to say that the time for using Sweden as a good example is long past.

Because it's pretty much one charismatic person away from blowing up.
Yeah, but tell US is in the same boat only it has tat Charismatic leader...sorta. he's popular at least. So Southpaw's comment about turning the US into some combination Sweden and Cuba is confusing. Well, Cuba just list it's leader. Perhaps he wants to get rid of Trump and if go back to being a larger potential powder keg that once was a great progressive nation? I dunno, he spuns alot like a cockney: stuff that is recognizable as English, but doesn't make sense to to most people.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 12-13-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

SBX could you add quotes to your last three posts? It's hard to tell what you were replying to.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
SBX could you add quotes to your last three posts? It's hard to tell what you were replying to.
He uses threaded mode and often replies thinking we'll all know who he's replying to. I think Frenzy does that too. Old ezboard habits I guess. (Vbulletin threaded mode sucks so I don't use it.)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Wait? Hold on a sec. It sounds like you're saying that there are people on here that dont uae threaded.

That's about as crazy as most of the stuff Southpaw spews.