art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): renorkeit,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

As far as I can tell, no one uses it except you and Frenzy.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Wait? Hold on a sec. It sounds like you're saying that there are people on here that dont uae threaded.

That's about as crazy as most of the stuff Southpaw spews.
I hate threaded mode...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

0.o

You're all monsters.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

I take back all the nice things I ever said about you.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
0.o

You're all monsters.
Oh yeah? Well you're... uh you... um... you're a... a Canadian!!
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Trump officially nominates Putin's BFF Rex Tillerson to be his SecState.

Out of curiosity, how much evidence do we need for people on the Right to start realizing just how deep in the pockets of the Kremlin that Trump is?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Just popping in to say that the time for using Sweden as a good example is long past.

Because it's pretty much one charismatic person away from blowing up.
Sweden and France are exhibits A and B in the argument that the ethnonationalism sweeping through this country has nothing to do with economics. Anyone arguing to the contrary must ignore the same ugly breed of racial resentment and nationalism metastasizing through Europe despite their solid economies and expensive social safety nets.

This is not a bug, it's a feature, and we need to address it as such.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Sweden and France are exhibits A and B in the argument that the ethnonationalism sweeping through this country has nothing to do with economics. Anyone arguing to the contrary must ignore the same ugly breed of racial resentment and nationalism metastasizing through Europe despite their solid economies and expensive social safety nets.

At least Germany and Austria haven't fallen victim to it yet...maybe its because they have a bit more intimate knowledge of how that tends to work out for a country.

Though I believe Merkel is up for reelection next year. That should be one very interesting election...and quite the bellwhether for the rest of the West going forward.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:

Don't know much about France, but Sweden is falling apart at the seams and they don't have anywhere near enough money to pay for their stupidity.

So while economics isn't the only, or even the biggest, cause, it definitely plays a role.

And no. It's not just old fashioned racism either. Far from it in fact.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
At least Germany and Austria haven't fallen victim to it yet...maybe its because they have a bit more intimate knowledge of how that tends to work out for a country.

Though I believe Merkel is up for reelection next year. That should be one very interesting election...and quite the bellwhether for the rest of the West going forward.
Heh. Think you're a bit optimistic now. From what I've heard Germany at least is gonna blow soon too.

Merkel is getting desperate at least since she all of a sudden wants to ban the burka.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

In other news, Governor Rick Perry selected to run Energy...so I guess his "smart person" glasses make him qualified to oversee our nuclear energy program, eh?

When some plutonium goes missing, will he pray for it to be found like he had Texas pray for rain during a drought?

And Carly Fiorina is the frontrunner to be the new Director of National Intelligence. This is a fairly new position (created in 2005) but its arguably the most important position in the entire Intelligence Community along with the Director of the NSA and CIA (who both technically fall under this position in the food chain). As such, we've always had pretty well qualified and experienced DNIs

2005-2007: John Negronponte: Foreign Service officer with State for 37 years, Ambassador to Honduras, Mexico and Philippines as well as UN Ambassador and Ambassador to Iraq during the occupation. Speaks 5 languages fluently, was a deputy national security advisor under Reagan. One of the most highly respected diplomats at State in recent memory.

2007-2009: Vice Admiral Mike McConnell
, Former Director of the NSA, former J-2 (Intel Officer) for the Joint Chiefs, had 30+ years in the Intelligence community and has multiple degrees in that field.

2009-2010: Admiral Dennis Blair, 34 years in the Navy, former commander of all Pacific forces, worked in the WH for both Carter and Reagan. Arguably the least qualified DNI so far and still has decades more practical experience than a failed CEO of a tech company.

2010 - Present: General Jim Clapper: Former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Director of the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. Very long military career in Signals Intelligence. Incredibly qualified on the technical side of the Intel world with decades of practical experience in that area as well as managing intelligence agencies.

So um...Really Donald? Really? Carly Fvcking Fiorina?!?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mind you, only a relatively short while ago, there was an election for the office of president in Austria that was so close (the non-Nazi won by a couple of thousand votes, or something like that) that their supreme court ruled that it had to be done over. This time (a week or so ago), the moderate candidate won by a larger margin.
So yes, Austria didn't fall for it. But it was not quite as comfortable as you make it seem.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Trump officially nominates Putin's BFF Rex Tillerson to be his SecState.

Out of curiosity, how much evidence do we need for people on the Right to start realizing just how deep in the pockets of the Kremlin that Trump is?
Likely parades of Russian hardware down Pennsylvania Avenue and Mount Rushmore renovated to show Putin, Stalin and a pair of other Russian luminaries.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Likely parades of Russian hardware down Pennsylvania Avenue and Mount Rushmore renovated to show Putin, Stalin and a pair of other Russian luminaries.
Lenin and Rasputin.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
"Chairman Trump is a master deal maker, he's got Putin right where he wants him!!!"

Old 12-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Chairman Trump is a master deal maker, he's got Putin right where he wants him!!!"
Is Trump a masochist who wants Putin to be his dom?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sure. They work. Or...what about Tzar Peter? Catherine the Great?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Sure. They work. Or...what about Tzar Peter? Catherine the Great?
Its gonna be tough to get the horse up there on the mountain along with Catherine...maybe just Peter instead?

Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Don't know much about France, but Sweden is falling apart at the seams and they don't have anywhere near enough money to pay for their stupidity.

So while economics isn't the only, or even the biggest, cause, it definitely plays a role.

And no. It's not just old fashioned racism either. Far from it in fact.
I'm pretty confident that it is exactly old fashioned racism, in large part. There are other factors, certainly, but that's the deciding factor. The three strongest correlates with Trump support were education level (strong inverse correlation), authoritarian tendency, and racial resentment. I'd wager a mortgage payment that those correlations hold true in Sweden and France and everywhere else ethno-nationalism is on the march.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I'm pretty confident that it is exactly old fashioned racism, in large part. There are other factors, certainly, but that's the deciding factor. The three strongest correlates with Trump support were education level (strong inverse correlation), authoritarian tendency, and racial resentment. I'd wager a mortgage payment that those correlations hold true in Sweden and France and everywhere else ethno-nationalism is on the march.
It's exactly that attitude that got us in this mess in the first place.

"I'm not happy about x or y"
"You racist!"

"I feel like our politicians aren't working in our best interests"
"You stupid redneck!"

Thing is that we never had a huge problem with racism here in Scandinavia. Sure there's racists and neo-nazis here too, but nowhere near what you got in the US.

In Sweden's case (and to a lesser degree Norway and Demark's) it went something like this:

I'm a happy viking. I live in a country with plenty of resources. I most likely got a job, and if not I get enough money to live from the country. Sure, there's some lazy assholes mooching off this, but it's not a huge problem.

Then enter globalism and multi-culturalism. We take in more and more refugees (or rather welfare-migrants). Quite a lot of them can't (or wont) get a job and end up being a net loss for my country. They also bring with them a lot of crime.
If anyone wants proof for Norway you can google translate this stuff: https://www.ssb.no/innvandring-og-in...og-innvandrere

Sweden has been burying all stats that are negative towards immigrants so it's almost impossible to find anything official from there.

So. I'm still a happy viking, but I start to notice that there seems to be more crime, and our welfare programs start to get picked apart piece by piece. In Sweden's case I can't even get a place to live anymore because the government is renting everything to house more immigrants.

The police try to keep a lid on all the crime, but it all comes out in the end because most of the police force in the worst cities quit and move somewhere else.
You get literal no-go zones in several cities, welfare is cut more. Crime increases even more since there's not too many police officers left and those that are are either corrupt or scared shitless.

Keep all this going for years while the press and almost every single political party is repeating "everything is alright, immigrants are great" and everyone that tries to focus on the problems are called racists.

Then, and only then does racism become a factor, because the best way to get more racists is to call everyone that tries to have a conversation a racist.

So after years of watching my country go down the shitter with no politician (apart from the racist ones) even admitting there's a problem I'm not a very happy viking anymore.
I realize I got two choices. Either I vote for one of the PC political parties and keep the country running off the cliff. Or I can go for the Trump/Le Pen/<insert racist and stupid choice here>.

That's pretty much how it's gone in Sweden. And while the Swedes are starting to wake up (Sverigedemokratarna is either the biggest or close to the biggest party now) it's way too late to save Sweden.

Luckily it hasn't gone that far here in Norway or in Denmark yet. So we still got a chance.

Closed Thread