art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
You really think Ginsburg will last 4 more years? Really?

That's laughable. She's barely hanging on as it is.
She's 83, so it's not completely implausible. She has however had colon cancer ('99) and pancreatic cancer ('09), and had a stent placed in her coronary artery in '14. So yeah...

She probably should have retired within the first year or two of Obama's second term, just to be safe, but now we can only hope that she makes it four years. The other two elderly justices, Kennedy (80) and Breyer (78), of which only Breyer is a dem appointee, should both make it that far, though I'd have to imagine that there will be significant pressure on Kennedy to retire while a Republican is president.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Sat up watching just up til they announced that Florida was too close to call. Felt it was gonna take a while so I went to bed. Woke up to this shit.

One positive out of all this is: President isn't King so he can't tear everything up in 4 years.

Either Trump will be a better President that we think, and all his speeches and campaign vows has been rhetoric and made extreme to negotiate on later (some are actually likely) OR he'll be a complete fuck up that has no excuse other than his own incompetence since he and the Reps holds all the cards to make things better for the people who voted for him. If he fails to deliver that, he's out in four years.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 11-09-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Sat up watching just up til they announced that Florida was too close to call. Felt it was gonna take a while so I went to bed. Woke up to this shit.

One positive out of all this is: President isn't King so he can't tear everything up in 4 years.

Either Trump will be a better President that we think, and all his speeches and campaign vows has been rhetoric and made extreme to negotiate on later (some are actually likely) OR he'll be a complete fuck up that has no excuse other than his own incompetence since he and the Reps holds all the cards to make things better for the people who voted for him. If he fails to deliver that, he's out in four years.
You're forgetting that he will (once he appoints a ninth justice) control all three branches, as the Republicans control Congress (both House & Senate) as well, and none of us have any illusions as to how political the justices are. Those appointments are a fight for good reason. That open seat also should help explain why this happened. He won't be able to overturn Roe, or probably the ACA until after filling that vacancy on the court, but once that is done, expect Roe to be immediately challenged. That however is still on the lesser end of the scale of damage that he could do. Same with the ACA. I'm more worried about Social Security, Medicare, Meidcaid, Voting Rights (which will be completely eviscerated), the environment, and social justice. I see us moving hard towards privatization, towards eliminating all regulations on curbing pollution as well as on consumer protections, and towards theocracy. And there is nothing that can be done to stop it because the four Republicans already on the court are all bible-thumping neanderthals, and the fifth one will be as well.

The only potential hindrance to our march towards becoming a theocratic banana republic is Trump's own ego. I think there's at least a 33% that he ends up openly attacking the Republican leadership in Congress (as he already has done during the primaries and general), forcing them to turn on him. I'm just not convinced that they are skillful enough to manipulate him, and he is a narcissistic psychopath with poor, if not nonexistent, impulse-control, and is clearly driven by a sense of revenge. Thats why the ACA is clearly toast. He is going to destroy Obama's legacy even if it means screwing millions of people, which it will. That same vendetta impulse may require him to go after Ryan and the Republicans in Congress. Or so at least we can hope. If I'n the dems in Congress this is my goal - to become Iago.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-09-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

6 months ago: "Ha ha, The UK is so stupid!!! WTF is wrong with you guys"

Now: "Nobody does stupid like us...NOBODY!!!"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
6 months ago: "Ha ha, The UK is so stupid!!! WTF is wrong with you guys"

Now: "Nobody does stupid like us...NOBODY!!!"
Trump has made America great again.

Though not in the same way that I am Great, I must admit.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Trump has made America great again.

Though not in the same way that I am Great, I must admit.
Yeah, GREATLY stupid.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I think he'll shock everyone by actually being a good and competent president who gets worthwhile things done.
It isn't out of the question.

Lets be honest, no one really knows where he stands on anything.

He's a racist, bigoted assclown, but for all that, its possible his actual policy stances are far more liberal than any of the other GOP contenders' might have been.

I actually agree with some of his proposals, especially the anti-Washington ones. While the entire "elites ignored America" argument is a tired old canard without a shred of truth to it, it WOULD be awesome to see term limits for legislators.

Also worth pointing out: the US is almost certainly going to experience an economic contraction/recession in the next 4 years. We've had an unprecedented run of growth fueled by low interest rates which will almost certainly end. It may well work in the Dems favor to have a GOP candidate in office when that occurs.

I'm also hopeful that when all the angry bigots who elected Trump realize he can't make good on his campaign promises, they come out in droves in 2018 and put Democrats back in charge of Congress.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoto View Post
I just can't. I am going to live the next four years in denial, pretending that Obama is still president. I can't possibly make sense of this mess.

Pretending that Obama is still president? It's been RIP for America since he took office. It absolutely blows my mind that people are going ape shit already and Trump hasn't even been sworn in. Did he over-exaggerate while on the campaign trail? Yes, and there was stuff he said that was inappropriate for a presidential candidate. But what about Clinton saying "what difference does it make" almost immediately after her utter failure at Benghazi, followed by coverup, got four men killed. Oh wait, she's a Democratic woman so she's free from the liberals and liberal media.

Oh, Trump won because of racism and sexism. No, he won because people are fed up with the establishment and the Democrats rigged the primaries to put forth the most corrupt and crooked presidential candidate possibly in the history of the U.S. More hispanics and blacks voted for Trump than Romney in 2012. If Democrats want to continue destroying themselves, keep accusing Republicans of racism and sexism. That is what's driving people out to the polls. We've been told the past however many years that we're all racist simply for disagreeing with liberal policies. Black violence continues to grow in inner-cities and we've seen on television every few weeks riots that have destroyed peoples businesses and livelihoods. Yet, the media is silent when it comes to black on white violence. Yeah, people are fed up with the crap that is going on, and when Democrats begin to focus on legit issues and stop automatically assuming that Republicans are "racist" all the time, perhaps they will win. It's only pissing people off and the rage was shown in this election.

Clinton is free from accusations of racism yet it's been her policies, and her husbands policies, that have hurt minorities. Trump hasn't done anything yet, other than say a few things that have hurt the over-sensitive minds of millenials. Perhaps if people gave him a chance they'd be surprised. I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to give a clean slate to see where things go. Republicans, overall, gave Obama a chance until his healthcare tyranny led to the rise of the Tea Party. And the Tea Party didn't go out and riot, unlike the idiots fussing about a Clinton loss. People are sick of Democratic Party's unconstitutional tyranny over the past few years. I'm sure many people here don't agree, as most of you support over-regulation and government takeover, but many don't. This election proved it.

Liberals love tolerance and coexistence, yet the stuff protesters have been yelling, and doing, are more intolerant and disrespectful than anything Trump has ever said or done. It's the greatest hypocrisy of the Democratic Party. "We love tolerance and coexistence, and the right of everyone to do what they want and say what they want to say........ Unless it's a conservative that we disagree with. Then we riot, destroy, and attack."

Last edited by Southpaw2012; 11-10-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the most corrupt and crooked presidential candidate possibly in the history of the U.S.
Well...other than her opponent of course.

And Nixon...and Harding too at a minimum.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Trump hasn't done anything yet, other than say a few things that have hurt the over-sensitive minds of millenials.
Well, he did kinda deny housing to minorities as a building owner/property manager.

And he admitted to sexually assaulting women without their consent. That's what "Grab them by the pussy without even asking" actually means.

You'd think as a law student you'd be familiar with the definition of sexual assault. Guess not. Maybe you fell asleep that day at law school?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is interesting.

Quote:
Some of the most controversial proposals Donald Trump made while running for U.S. president were gone from his campaign website by Thursday, including his call to ban Muslims from entering the country and his promise to cancel the Paris Climate Agreement.

The link to his Dec. 7 proposal titled: "Donald J. Trump statement on Preventing Muslim Immigration," in which he called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States," has vanished, along with his list of his potential Supreme Court justice picks as president, and certain details of his economic, defence and regulatory reform plans.
Did he just pull the wool over the Republican's eyes? I suspected it might be the case. I still despise the man, but his policy actions may not be as extreme as anticipated.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post

Did he just pull the wool over the Republican's eyes? I suspected it might be the case. I still despise the man, but his policy actions may not be as extreme as anticipated.
I'm thinking some of his campaign staff were finally able to convince him to backpedal on some stuff. All things considered, ever since Trump chose Pence, Pence has had to backpedal and clean up after Trump since day 1. That might have been their last goal.

And that is gonna piss off a number of people that were all gun-ho about it.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Ancient

Quote:

The Breitbart crowd seems to want to move the Republican party towards a more populist brand of conservatism - anti-trade, anti-immigration, less of a role abroad. It's difficult to really get much of a sense of personal stances on just about anything though, except for the racism, which he seems to have inherited from his father, who was arrested at a KKK rally in 1927 in Queens. But he's not religious, he once was pro-choice, once was pro-gun control. Does he just not care about those issues, and is willing to adopt whatever stance will be most personally beneficial for him in the moment? Is he really more liberal still on those issues than the impression he gave to his constituents during the election? Has he really had a change of heart on some or all of those issues? I would presume that his opionions on these matters are more opportunistic than ideological. That could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

Either way, I suspect that he is unlikely to nominate justices that would be viewed favorably, even privately, by dems. If he wants to maintain any peace and cooperation with the Republicans in Congress, he will need to, at minimum, allow them to murder Roe. Beyond that it is difficult to know what to expect. Would going after Social Security fit with their (the Breibartians) more populist agenda? The uncertainty is paert of what make him a source of anxiety, and a potential anxiety both for them and for us, though you note that voters like Southpaw still think that Trump should be viewed favorably, and that he is less of a criminal, or of a threat to the Republic than Obama or Hillary, which is nuts.

And in terms of foreign policy? It is rather telling that the only countries that seemed pleased with this result are Russia and the Philippines. It also makes it all the more imperative that the campaigns to retake Mosul and Raqqa be wrapped up before January, as he can certainly not be trusted to handle mopping up ISIS anywhere near as much present administration.

One has to give him credit for being a very skilled con man, but a skilled administrator? His businesses have had more of a record of criminality and incompetence than of success. One might hope that he could not run America at least into bankruptcy like he did so many of his businesses, but keep in mind how close the Republicans came even in recent years to defaulting on our debt. Now, without the dems forcing them to at least pay their bills, can we really not expect that to occur? I suspect he will leave quite a mess for whoever replaces him in four years. That's if he doesn't try to declare himself God Emperor Trump I, and rename America as Trumpistan. At the very least I think he is likely to make the White House look really tacky like all of his other residences.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-10-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

All of America or just the United States? I can easily imagine him declaring both continents as "Trumpland", but was that what you meant?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
That's if he doesn't try to declare himself God Emperor Trump I, and rename America as Trumpistan. At the very least I think he is likely to make the White House look really tacky like all of his other residences.
The night of the election I had a dream that Donald wanted to be referred to as "Captain Washington" and he was busy figuring out a hand sign (picture a "C" and a west coast type W). Also, I did not sleep well.

Last edited by Brita; 11-10-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
All of America or just the United States? I can easily imagine him declaring both continents as "Trumpland", but was that what you meant?
This tends to be something about us that irritates our neighbors, that we refer to the US as America, and to ourselves as Americans. In our defense, it is the only phonetically pleasing ethnic deisgnator, as calling ourselves United Staters would be really clumsy, though that is how Mexico seems to prefer to refer to us (Estados Unidos). I don't get the impression that this idiosyncracy annoys the Canadians anywhere near as much as our neighbors to the south.

I suppose he could rename the US as Trumpistan and the continents as either North and South Trumpland, or as North and South Trumpia. Trumpistan also just makes more sense since he is so openly servile towards the Russians.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Ancient

Quote:
The night of the election I had a dream that Donald wanted to be referred to as "Captain Washington" and he was busy figuring out a hand sign (picture a "C" and a west coast type W). I also did not sleep well.
I think it's also 50-50 odds that he tries to make it the Gold House and laquer the whole thing in tacky gold gilding.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
I don't get the impression that this idiosyncracy annoys the Canadians anywhere near as much as our neighbors to the south.
Really doesn't bother us at all. We always refer to US citizens as American and are completely unconcerned with the infringement on the North America trio.

I wonder why Mexico cares more than we do? Maybe because they feel maligned in general, and this is like the third-wheel friend that wants to make sure we remember they are part of the group.

Closed Thread