art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
See? There you are judging me rather than my words. Refusing to think out of spite. Oh it feels good to release some anger doesn't it, SP? You are just so cute! It's such a teen angst reaction! Profile says you're 34 and mentally still on the same level as a 17 year old! Or is it that your sense of humor ends when the joke is on you? How very childish of you! And now that I've gone there you can't possibly take anything I say seriously, because your vanity won't let you accept that I might have a point even if I say the sky is blue. But before we depart forever, tell me one thing. Have I started to annoy you yet?

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
You could almost make the argument that he's picking literally the worst possible people to run each agency and department in an attempt to make him look like the most reasonable one in the room. Every single one of his picks has been someone who is ideologically opposed to the basic mission of that agency.

Its absolutely disgusting and its only going to get worse as he actually becomes President.

And his GOP lackeys are gonna suck on his balls the whole way as long as he signs their disgusting legislation into law.

In other news today, Trump's good buddy Duterte bragged about personally murdering drug suspects today.

Can we please have him visit DC on an official State Visit like Trump has already done? That'd be super. The guy is a fucking serial killer and he's murdering thousands of his own citizens.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...k-us-election/

Once a KGB thug, always a KGB thug. I guess he should be congratulated on his striking success, though.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Silent treatment!! Score!

Can't take a joke, can you. Silly SP.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Silent treatment!! Score!

Can't take a joke, can you. Silly SP.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
See? There you are judging me rather than my words. Refusing to think out of spite. Oh it feels good to release some anger doesn't it, SP? You are just so cute! It's such a teen angst reaction! Profile says you're 34 and mentally still on the same level as a 17 year old! Or is it that your sense of humor ends when the joke is on you? How very childish of you! And now that I've gone there you can't possibly take anything I say seriously, because your vanity won't let you accept that I might have a point even if I say the sky is blue. But before we depart forever, tell me one thing. Have I started to annoy you yet?
Donald Trump is on Theoryland?

Why don't you focus on something you're supposed to be doing first, Donald. Trolling people on the internet can wait.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
You could almost make the argument that he's picking literally the worst possible people to run each agency and department in an attempt to make him look like the most reasonable one in the room. Every single one of his picks has been someone who is ideologically opposed to the basic mission of that agency.

Its absolutely disgusting and its only going to get worse as he actually becomes President.

And his GOP lackeys are gonna suck on his balls the whole way as long as he signs their disgusting legislation into law.
This is so terrifying. This whole situation is just horrifying. And the crazy this is- that's not even hyperbole. God, it's so awful.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
This is so terrifying. This whole situation is just horrifying. And the crazy this is- that's not even hyperbole. God, it's so awful.
Come January 21st, he's officially my boss...its insanely terrifying and depressing for me to think about as a fairly senior gov't bureaucrat. I'm at the point in my career where I have to start thinking about the political side of the house for advancement so considering that and realizing how terrifying it is to have essentially Fascists running things is pretty depressing.

They (Trump's people) already asked Energy for a list of anyone in the Dept who ever dealt with climate change agendas. Energy thankfully told them to go to hell but once Trump's people are in charge, its not gonna get better. That request sent a chill down a lot of gov't agencies. We always strive to be neutral and apolitical at work but this is disgusting and very worrisome. What's next? Purity tests? Loyalty oaths to Trump personally? Armbands?

My incoming boss is an avid hunter who is a massive supporter of the oil/gas industry...my Dept's mission is protecting public lands and preserving them for future generations. Its almost a guarantee their first act will be to drop all of the restrictions on mining, drilling, oil/gas exploration etc on all public lands and national parks, monuments etc.

Its just so damn depressing how easy it is for a Democracy to collapse...and that's what we're seeing here.

EDIT: The only upside is that Zinke is probably the "best" of the previous names floated for Interior...as pathetic as that is. He had previously floated actual oil executives, some idiot creationist congresswoman, and one of his own no chin serial killer looking sons as options.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 12-14-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...k-us-election/

Once a KGB thug, always a KGB thug. I guess he should be congratulated on his striking success, though.
The fact that all the Trumperdicks and the Right are basically denying the validity of these reports and equating them to the "Fake News" epidemic is so depressing. Trump is literally gas lighting an entire nation and nobody is going to stop him.

We have two options:

1. The entire Intelligence community is completely in on the conspiracy and blatantly left wing and is thus making this all up about Putin and Russia.

2. They're right and our democracy has been utterly compromised in a de facto foreign sponsored coup d'etat along the lines of what we did to every banana republic and 3rd world country we had interests in for the last 75 years.

Not depressing at all.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this... Exploded.

I have two comments:

1) the us vs them, as far as I'm concerned, if you live in a country and you work in a country and you pay taxes in that country, you're us. If you don't pay taxes or where I pay taxes, now or in the past, you're them. Integration and all is also preferable and appreciated but at the end of the day it's paying your taxes what marks you as contributing to the society you live in.

2) Naz, you're being extremely condescending throughout this entire thread. Your starting point for any discussion point seems to be "oh, the stupids will never get this, once I'm done half explaining what I mean, I better tell them they'll never get this." People don't respond well to condescension. That's not to say other people haven't been wrong in their tone of conversation too, but two wrongs don't make a right, know what I mean?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
1) the us vs them, as far as I'm concerned, if you live in a country and you work in a country and you pay taxes in that country, you're us. If you don't pay taxes or where I pay taxes, now or in the past, you're them. Integration and all is also preferable and appreciated but at the end of the day it's paying your taxes what marks you as contributing to the society you live in.
Do you advocate the Duterte option for dealing with homeless people (who typically don't earn enough to pay any taxes), or do you perhaps want to reconsider a bit?
Old 12-15-2016, 03:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2) Naz, you're being extremely condescending throughout this entire thread. Your starting point for any discussion point seems to be "oh, the stupids will never get this, once I'm done half explaining what I mean, I better tell them they'll never get this." People don't respond well to condescension. That's not to say other people haven't been wrong in their tone of conversation too, but two wrongs don't make a right, know what I mean?
When the tone of comments tells me that people are thinking and not just talking, I might explain my thoughts further. As it is all they do is feel and talk about how they feel. And they obviously don't feel like listening. They only listen to what they feel they like to hear. What is the point in having a discussion like that? Their minds are closed up too firmly. It is seriously depressing. So I get an urge to insult and don't have the motivation to control it. And now through my own doing they judge my thoughts before I even say anything.

Now do you yks want to hear my thoughts on the subject of racism or have you too already decided that nothing I say is worth listening to by default? I promise you don't have to guess the word if you don't want to.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When the tone of comments tells me that people are thinking and not just talking, I might explain my thoughts further. As it is all they do is feel and talk about how they feel. And they obviously don't feel like listening. They only listen to what they feel they like to hear. What is the point in having a discussion like that? Their minds are closed up too firmly. It is seriously depressing. So I get an urge to insult and don't have the motivation to control it. And now through my own doing they judge my thoughts before I even say anything.
Are you, perhaps, by any chance, Donald Trump*?

* If you're not sure yourself, check your tax records. If you can't find evidence of paying US taxes, then that shows that you probably are Trump.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Are you, perhaps, by any chance, Donald Trump*?

* If you're not sure yourself, check your tax records. If you can't find evidence of paying US taxes, then that shows that you probably are Trump.
So the world is made up of tax paying US citizens and close to 7 billion Donald Trumps?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, some of those non-US-tax-payers can, upon occasion, bring up the motivation to control their urge to insult others. That would obviously exclude them from the being-Trump list.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, some of those non-US-tax-payers can, upon occasion, bring up the motivation to control their urge to insult others. That would obviously exclude them from the being-Trump list.
Are you saying Trump is actually able to control himself? My problem is that when I'm depressed I lose my motivation to do so, but I still have the ability. If Trump is like me the whole planet is fucked.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you advocate the Duterte option for dealing with homeless people (who typically don't earn enough to pay any taxes), or do you perhaps want to reconsider a bit?
I suppose I should clarify / expand a bit. If you're a dependant (for example, child) of one who pays taxes, or if you have in the past paid taxes (now on pension or temporarily unemployed), you're "us". If you have never nor do you have any intention (or legal obligation) to pay taxes then you're "them".

By this logic a multimillionaire citizen avoiding taxes is "them" but an immigrant working three jobs is "us".

BTW, in my experience, if an immigrant "takes someone's job" then the one to blame is the employer, because likely they get to pay the immigrant less. Although in my line of work I've also seen having to hire a non-citizen because there is no citizen qualified enough. They think they are, of course, but they're really not.

Naz, I've read everything you posted. If you're saying you haven't clearly stated your point(s) by now, you're just proving my point (the one about you half saying what you mean). I don't actually have any comments on what you said, just the way you said it.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Naz, I've read everything you posted. If you're saying you haven't clearly stated your point(s) by now, you're just proving my point (the one about you half saying what you mean). I don't actually have any comments on what you said, just the way you said it.
Of course I haven't stated all my points. Those go on to infinity and back. It might well be impossible to list all of them especially as they get refined faster than my fingers can keep up with. And if I could who has the time to read all that? I've got to find out what people are ready to hear and where I need to start. And just now I found out that you aren't ready to hear so what is the point in saying anything?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Of course I haven't stated all my points. /-/ you aren't ready to hear so what is the point in saying anything?
Part of your points explained and condescending on top of it. How predictable.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Part of your points explained and condescending on top of it. How predictable.
And now you go on to prove me right. You've already decided not to listen. How can anyone prove anything to you when you won't listen? How can you improve your opinions when you aren't open to the idea that they might have flaws? Or are your opinions already perfect in every possible way?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
And now you go on to prove me right. You've already decided not to listen. How can anyone prove anything to you when you won't listen? How can you improve your opinions when you aren't open to the idea that they might have flaws? Or are your opinions already perfect in every possible way?
I repeat: I have read everything you've said here. You say yourself that your points were incomplete. I don't feel like discussing points that are prone to change when you feel like it and then being accused of being too stupid to really engage in discussion with a superior being such as yourself.

Let's put it this way: conversation requires effort from the speaker as well as the listener. If the speaker is not clear, and does not state what they want the listener to understand, it's not the listeners fault if there's a misunderstanding. Have you been clear and complete in your posts?

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Closed Thread