art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I repeat: I have read everything you've said here. You say yourself that your points were incomplete. I don't feel like discussing points that are prone to change when you feel like it and then being accused of being too stupid to really engage in discussion with a superior being such as yourself.

Let's put it this way: conversation requires effort from the speaker as well as the listener. If the speaker is not clear, and does not state what they want the listener to understand, it's not the listeners fault if there's a misunderstanding. Have you been clear and complete in your posts?
Yks you aren't listening. You are meant to refine your opinions constantly. Anything you've read from a past me no matter how recent might have improved by now. I am in an eternal state of change. Any mind that isn't in a state of change is slowly becoming stale and then starts to rot.

The superior being I'm trying to understand is reality. Quite often it makes me feel inadequate, but I am improving. And a basic requirement in this is to face the fact that your mind isn't perfect.

And here you are calling me rude for not slowing down so that you can keep up, when I've already shifted down several mental gears.

You demand more complete points? Which subject? How much more complete? To what level of certainty? Which tangents explored? How deeply? Give me a clue to where your mind is so that I can adjust myself to it.

While you are at it you can show me by example how not to be condescending. Or was that demand predictable?
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this recently SP. Thought of you. Might as well post it here.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
You are meant to refine your opinions constantly. Anything you've read from a past me no matter how recent might have improved by now. I am in an eternal state of change. Any mind that isn't in a state of change is slowly becoming stale and then starts to rot.
Great. And true. But marry this with your insistence that others should figure out what you're thinking now, and you get a total blockage of communication, no? You want us to guess a word that is on your mind. But what if your mind improves and moves to another word in that time?

The way to deal with an evolving mind is to be straight, and admit that you changed your mind. Along the lines of "hey, yeah, I did say that in that post, but I think differently now. I see things differently now".

Quote:
The superior being I'm trying to understand is reality. Quite often it makes me feel inadequate, but I am improving. And a basic requirement in this is to face the fact that your mind isn't perfect.
And yet, it seems to me you are insisting that everyone else in this thread has even less perfect minds than yours. Perhaps there's an even deeper disconnect between your mind and reality?

Quote:
And here you are calling me rude for not slowing down so that you can keep up, when I've already shifted down several mental gears.
Actually, that is rude. But more, it makes nonsense of any communication efforts. I don't know how it is for you, but I'm pretty sure yks cannot read minds. If you shifted mental gears, but insist on being cryptic about it, who's to know if you shifted upwards or not? Maybe you've shifted into lower gear, you know? Till you speak up, no one can know.

Quote:
You demand more complete points? Which subject? How much more complete? To what level of certainty? Which tangents explored? How deeply? Give me a clue to where your mind is so that I can adjust myself to it.
Let's start here: you had some word you thought applied to our discussion. Do you still believe this word exists? Even if your mind has evolved into a more refined state, perhaps you would consider consulting your memory and sharing that word anyway?

Quote:
While you are at it you can show me by example how not to be condescending. Or was that demand predictable?
No, we can't really predict a mind that is shifting gears so often. But a start at not being condescending can be to not turn a discussion on race into a discussion on the gear-shifting nature of your mind that others are unable to keep up with... Think about it. After all, you claim you do it better than anyone else here.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Well the word I was looking for at the time is still the word I was looking for at the time. The past me is still who he was, but the me now is different from him. I'll tell you the word I promise, but please humour me. Just one guess. Please. It describes a person who judges others based on their appearance.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well the word I was looking for at the time is still the word I was looking for at the time. The past me is still who he was, but the me now is different from him. I'll tell you the word I promise, but please humour me. Just one guess. Please. It describes a person who judges others based on their appearance.
Yeah, no. Not feeding such behavior.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Yeah, no. Not feeding such behavior.
Please.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Naz is nothing if not consistent
Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
Naz is nothing if not consistent
There! I've always known that connabard gets me. Wanna guess the word?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Saw this recently SP. Thought of you. Might as well post it here.

LIVE NUDE STEAKS FOR EVERYONE!

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Why SP did you say something?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Ancient

The combined wealth of Trump's cabinet (17 cabinet level positions so far) is greater than the wealth of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined (out of 126 million households).

You almost have to pity the "working class" people who think this is going to work out for them.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
You almost have to pity the "working class" people who think this is going to work out for them.
What are you talking about? The fact that they're independently wealthy means that they'll refuse bribery attempts. It'll be the least corrupt government in the history of the world!*

*History of the World in this case means as long as the US has been around because nothing that happened before that really matters.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
The combined wealth of Trump's cabinet (17 cabinet level positions so far) is greater than the wealth of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined (out of 126 million households).

Yeah but either way, they're stigginit to the Libtards so its win-win regardless of them losing their healthcare, the mines/mills never reopening and an overall giant FU from the Administration to all of them.

They'll all still vote for him in 2020 regardless because "at least he tells it like it is and its all Obama's fault he couldn't fix those issues anyway"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Ancient

Quote:
What are you talking about? The fact that they're independently wealthy means that they'll refuse bribery attempts. It'll be the least corrupt government in the history of the world!*

*History of the World in this case means as long as the US has been around because nothing that happened before that really matters.
Yes, because as we all know, once you reach a certain level of wealth, you altruistically stop craving more money and power. They'll have no reason to work except the betterment of mankind

Old 12-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yks you aren't listening. You are meant to refine your opinions constantly. Anything you've read from a past me no matter how recent might have improved by now. I am in an eternal state of change. Any mind that isn't in a state of change is slowly becoming stale and then starts to rot.

Quote:

See above. That was condescending. You claim I'm not listening after I told you twice that I've read everything you wrote here.three times now. I am listening. YOU are not communicating what you want people to react to. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp, I don't think. Until you do so, I will not comment on the content of your posts, as like you say, it may have "evolved" to another level.
Likely one where you admire your own brilliance and want everyone to admire it too. It's narcissistic at best, megalomaniacal at worst. See there, that was a little rude. I censored it, just for you.

How about we give having a conversation between human beings a try: do racists exist in Finland? Yes or no answer is sufficient. Second part to that question: if racists exist in Finland, how does this have anything to do with Trump? Feel free to elaborate on this one.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah...that would be the joke.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Yeah...that would be the joke.
I switched to threaded mode just to figure out what joke this referred to and holy hell. That thing is an abomination

Someone should kill it with fire

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
See above. That was condescending. You claim I'm not listening after I told you twice that I've read everything you wrote here.three times now. I am listening. YOU are not communicating what you want people to react to. It really isn't a hard concept to grasp, I don't think. Until you do so, I will not comment on the content of your posts, as like you say, it may have "evolved" to another level.
Likely one where you admire your own brilliance and want everyone to admire it too. It's narcissistic at best, megalomaniacal at worst. See there, that was a little rude. I censored it, just for you.

How about we give having a conversation between human beings a try: do racists exist in Finland? Yes or no answer is sufficient. Second part to that question: if racists exist in Finland, how does this have anything to do with Trump? Feel free to elaborate on this one.
Listening is done with the mind not the ears. You aren't doing it.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Human.

If you wanted to be really picky, you'd have to expand that into a couple of words: not blind human. I don't think there's one single word in English for that specific class of person, but perhaps Naz knows such a word.