art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Human.

If you wanted to be really picky, you'd have to expand that into a couple of words: not blind human. I don't think there's one single word in English for that specific class of person, but perhaps Naz knows such a word.
Interesting choice. The word I was looking for is "shallow". Perhaps I should have said "by appearance alone".
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
I switched to threaded mode just to figure out what joke this referred to and holy hell. That thing is an abomination

Someone should kill it with fire
(You non-theaded people making my life difficult. Fine, have quotes.)

Good idea, but I think the Secret Service would object.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
Listening is done with the mind not the ears. You aren't doing it.
Language is a poor attempt to recreate a thought process in another mind. Usually it fails.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Trump's ambassador to Israel is not a huge fan of the two state solution.

Which is a novel approach, because I'm not familiar with other options that don't involve war and/or genocide.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Language is a poor attempt to recreate a thought process in another mind. Usually it fails.
Indeed. That's why it is important to learn about individual people. Then you can learn to communicate in a way that both sides understand what was meant not simply what was said.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Indeed. That's why it is important to learn about individual people. Then you can learn to communicate in a way that both sides understand what was meant not simply what was said.
You missed that "usually fails" part as is evidenced by a bunch of posts in this thread.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You missed that "usually fails" part as is evidenced by a bunch of posts in this thread.
But not always which is why I try. Or did you mean something else by that?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post

Which is a novel approach, because I'm not familiar with other options that don't involve war and/or genocide.
Is any of Trumps uh "party" in favor of anything that won't lead to War/Genocide?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
But not always which is why I try. Or did you mean something else by that?
I meant that if it worked half of this thread wouldn't exist.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post

He's an ardent supporter of moving our Embassy to Jerusalem too...which would likely touch off something akin to the 73 Embargo and help drive us into recession...assuming it doesn't lead to a massive spike in terrorist attacks and/or a war.

The Two State solution was and is the only one that really would ever work long-term but I fear that well has long been poisoned by Arafat and then the Israeli Far Right (Likud, etc)

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
Is any of Trumps uh "party" in favor of anything that won't lead to War/Genocide?
Well, they all want to make a shitload more money and destroy the environment in the process too...though accelerating climate change would also likely lead to more wars...so, um, no. There isn't anything they want to do that doesn't destabilize our country long-term or even short-term.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Well, they all want to make a shitload more money and destroy the environment in the process too...though accelerating climate change would also likely lead to more wars...so, um, no. There isn't anything they want to do that doesn't destabilize the planet long-term or even short-term.
Fixed that for you.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
My Americanism showed through there I suppose...good edit.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
My Americanism showed through there I suppose...good edit.
YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! TRUMPISM IS SPREADING. IT'S ALREADY INFECTED DAV! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!
Old 12-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

So what does everyone think of the Russia hack story?

Obviously, there will be no way to prove how much it tipped the scale, which means you cannot use this to invalidate the election. The hack "hacked" into the concepts of free press and 24/7 news, and the US media's desire to present itself as balanced and equal. None of those, in and of themselves, invalidate the election.

But on the flip side, while a small part of me cannot help but relish that the US has been served a taste of its own medicine, I'm also aware that if Putin feels comfortable doing this to the US, he will feel much more comfortable doing it elsewhere. Indeed, the word is that Germany is his next target.

Moving forward, the United States remains uniquely susceptible to these kinds of campaigns. So while they will retaliate (per Obama last night), they're going to have to be prepared for future attacks as well.

It seems to me that along with fake news crisis, this is yet another new chapter that changes my view of what a functional needs in the digital age. A lot of this, I think, can be traced back to the atrocious digital privacy laws in the US and elsewhere.

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

I think Putin did it and did it deliberately to help get a result he wanted. I don't know if or what Trump or any of his people had to do with it but they definitely benefited from it. I would hope Trump and his inner circle merely benefited from it rather than being involved as any involvement would be high treason and represent essentially a foreign-backed coup d'etat and overturning of our democratic process. (or basically what we do to some 3rd world country every couple years for shits and giggles as a superpower).

I also think it constitutes casus belli and we should respond in kind and with a proportional response.

Up till now, the major powers have always respected the fine line between espionage and active attacks on internal institutions. For the same reason we didn't go around assassinating members of the Politburo during the Cold War, you don't do things like this...it just isn't polite behavior when both countries have massive nuclear arsenals.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...&ICID=ref_fark

Apparently China seized one of our underwater surveying drones in international waters in the South China Sea.

Some saber rattling by them right after Trumperdick's idiotic saber rattling over Taiwan.

No way this goes bad.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Putin did it and did it deliberately to help get a result he wanted. I don't know if or what Trump or any of his people had to do with it but they definitely benefited from it. I would hope Trump and his inner circle merely benefited from it rather than being involved as any involvement would be high treason and represent essentially a foreign-backed coup d'etat and overturning of our democratic process. (or basically what we do to some 3rd world country every couple years for shits and giggles as a superpower).

I also think it constitutes casus belli and we should respond in kind and with a proportional response.
Casus belli seems a bit much. This seems like it was meant more as a tit-for-tat, i.e. a response merely to our sanctions, that they merely hoped would help weaken Hillary as president. I doubt they, or Wikileaks (which even if an independent operator rather than an actual Russian operative), who obviously had similarly motives (albeit here for, justifiably, blockading him in the embassy of a shady nation), really believed that they would actually manage to get Trump elected.

It isn't mentioned as much, but they (both the Russians and Wikileaks) also helped sabotage a number of key congressional races. Doing this obviously helped ensure that the Republicans would keep control of the House, which probably makes more sense as a goal if they assumed that even with all their actions that Hillary would still be president, but so as to ensure that she was hamstrung by a divided govt.

It doesn't seem like there is much public outcry on the right though about Russian involvement, but at least the left is finally seemingly seeing Wikileaks for the criminal organization that it is rather than holding to some delusion of it being an honorable endeavor.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Casus belli seems a bit much. This seems like it was meant more as a tit-for-tat, i.e. a response merely to our sanctions, that they merely hoped would help weaken Hillary as president. I doubt they, or Wikileaks (which even if an independent operator rather than an actual Russian operative), who obviously had similarly motives (albeit here for, justifiably, blockading him in the embassy of a shady nation), really believed that they would actually manage to get Trump elected.

It isn't mentioned as much, but they (both the Russians and Wikileaks) also helped sabotage a number of key congressional races. Doing this obviously helped ensure that the Republicans would keep control of the House, which probably makes more sense as a goal if they assumed that even with all their actions that Hillary would still be president, but so as to ensure that she was hamstrung by a divided govt.

It doesn't seem like there is much public outcry on the right though about Russian involvement, but at least the left is finally seemingly seeing Wikileaks for the criminal organization that it is rather than holding to some delusion of it being an honorable endeavor.
They directly interfered with our electoral process. That's far beyond sanctions.

Oh and the FBI has come out today agreeing with the CIA's conclusions.

The Right is okay with it because they won and they dont give a damn how they won...party before country every single time.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They directly interfered with our electoral process. That's far beyond sanctions.

Oh and the FBI has come out today agreeing with the CIA's conclusions.

The Right is okay with it because they won and they dont give a damn how they won...party before country every single time.
If this was a dem administration coming in then I'd imagine this would mean another round of sanctions, arms deals with Ukraine, and maybe even letting Ukraine into NATO - i.e. everything short of bellum. But with Trump? New sanctions definitely seem off the table, and support for Ukraine, and perhaps even the Baltic states, regardless of the fact that those countries, unlike Ukraine, are in NATO, seem very much in doubt.

Hopefully this shames enough Republican senators (I have far less confidence in the prudence of republican reps) to push back against some of Trump's Russophilia, perhaps enough to ensure that in four years that at least Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, and hopefully even Ukraine, are all still indepedent nations, rather than re-annexed by the Russians.
Closed Thread