art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Really doesn't bother us at all. We always refer to US citizens as American and are completely unconcerned with the infringement on the North America trio.

I wonder why Mexico cares more than we do? Maybe because they feel maligned in general, and this is like the third-wheel friend that wants to make sure we remember they are part of the group.
Might have something to do with the fact that we conquered their whole country after they refused to sell us California. We did give them back most of it, but...
Old 11-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
I'm thinking some of his campaign staff were finally able to convince him to backpedal on some stuff. All things considered, ever since Trump chose Pence, Pence has had to backpedal and clean up after Trump since day 1. That might have been their last goal.

And that is gonna piss off a number of people that were all gun-ho about it.
Or more likely, the answer is that no one knows Donald Trump's politics.

We have the remember that the only two things Trump has EVER been successful at are marketing himself, and reality television. When viewed in that light, his campaign makes perfect sense. He knows just how low brow Americans want their entertainment (not to mention that politics is now consumed as entertainment), and just how to play that role, and he knows how to market that role and himself as effectively as anyone before or since (barring perhaps the Kardashians).

He isn't a Democrat in disguise, but I think there is a real possibility that he both loses interest in the minutiae of governing and also clashes, intensely, with GOP leadership.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
This tends to be something about us that irritates our neighbors, that we refer to the US as America, and to ourselves as Americans. In our defense, it is the only phonetically pleasing ethnic deisgnator, as calling ourselves United Staters would be really clumsy, though that is how Mexico seems to prefer to refer to us (Estados Unidos). I don't get the impression that this idiosyncracy annoys the Canadians anywhere near as much as our neighbors to the south.

I suppose he could rename the US as Trumpistan and the continents as either North and South Trumpland, or as North and South Trumpia. Trumpistan also just makes more sense since he is so openly servile towards the Russians.
I thought the -istan part was an Arabic thing. Could be wrong of course but a lot of people associate it with Middle-East and thus Muslims. But then Trump pissing off everyone he hasn't yet pissed off would just make him Trump.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Well, the Muslim ban is back on.
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-r...im-immigration
Old 11-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Saw that, they said it was a "glitch".

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
I thought the -istan part was an Arabic thing. Could be wrong of course but a lot of people associate it with Middle-East and thus Muslims. But then Trump pissing off everyone he hasn't yet pissed off would just make him Trump.
Are you thinking Persian? It's an old link word in Indo-European, going back to Sanskrit, but like ἵσταμαι (to stand) in Greek, and stare (to stand) in Latin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-stan

Quote:
The suffix, originally an independent noun, but evolving into a suffix by virtue of appearing frequently as the last part in nominal compounds, is of Indo-Iranian and ultimately Indo-European origin: It is cognate with Sanskrit sthā́na (Devanagari: स्थान [st̪ʰaːna]), meaning "the act of standing", from which many further meanings derive, including "place, location", and ultimately descends from Proto-Indo-Iranian *sthāna-.

The Proto-Indo-European root from which this noun is derived is *steh₂- (older reconstruction *stā-) "to stand" (or "to stand up, to step (somewhere), to position (oneself)"), which is also the source of English to stand, Latin stāre, and Ancient Greek histamai (ἵσταμαι), all meaning "to stand" and Russian стан (stan, meaning "settlement" or "semi-permanent camp"). In Polish and Ukrainian, stan means "state" or "condition", while in Serbo-Croatian it translates as "apartment" (a Slovenian word "stanovanje" means apartment or other closed space of living is an obvious derivative of stan) in its modern usage, while its original meaning was "habitat". In Czech and Slovak, it means "tent" or, in military terms, "headquarters". Also in Germanic languages, the root can be found in Stand ("place, location"), and in Stadt (German), stad/sted (Dutch/Scandinavian), stęd (West Frisian) and stead (English), all meaning either "place" or "city". The suffix -stan is analogous to the suffix -land, present in many country and location names.
I was thinking in reference to the fact that most of the countries that use it were Soviet Republics - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan (there are only two others that use it, Afghanistan and Pakistan). So while coincidentally associated with Islam, not really related to linguistically to Islam, nor at all to Arabic (which isn't in the Indo-European family linguistically).
Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Are you thinking Persian? It's an old link word in Indo-European, going back to Sanskrit, but like ἵσταμαι (to stand) in Greek, and stare (to stand) in Latin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-stan

I was thinking in reference to the fact that most of the countries that use it were Soviet Republics - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan (there are only two others that use it, Afghanistan and Pakistan). So while coincidentally associated with Islam, not really related to linguistically to Islam, nor at all to Arabic (which isn't in the Indo-European family linguistically).
What about Istanbul? Or is that a coincidence?
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Ancient

Quote:
What about Istanbul? Or is that a coincidence?
Coincidence. It's actually not even Turkish, but still derived from Greek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul

Quote:
The name İstanbul (Turkish pronunciation: [isˈtanbuɫ] ( listen), colloquially [ɯsˈtambuɫ]) is commonly held to derive from the Medieval Greek phrase "εἰς τὴν Πόλιν" (pronounced [is tim ˈbolin]), which means "to the city"[27] and is how Constantinople was referred to by the local Greeks. This reflected its status as the only major city in the vicinity.
As an aside, unless Medieval Greek has an eccentricity to its pronunciation rules to which I'm not aware (it's possible though, modern Greek isn't pronounced the same as ancient in many instances), the pronunciation guide they provide above seems weird. Using normal ancient pronunciation that should be rendered like "ice tain pole-in", which is completely different from the above. I can't recall if pi starts sounding like a beta sound, but modern Greek started doing some odd things with beta, developing a "v" sound as it modernized. Things like the ancient name for the isle of Euboea becoming in modern Greek Evia. That would however help explain the presence of that "b" in place of the "p" in Istanbul, though not really sure if that might not be a Turkish pronunciation more than a Greek development. Either way, it isn't from ἵσταμαι, it's just a prepositional phrase - "to the city". The Greek πόλις is where we get words like politics and police.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-10-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Man this etymology stuff would be simpler if languages could copyright syllables.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Man this etymology stuff would be simpler if languages could copyright syllables.
And all of that, isn't even getting into languages like, say, those of the many Native American tribes, many of whom did not even have written languages.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

I find it kinda interesting that the only place I"m running into conversations about the election is on the forums. (And news outlets, but that's a given)

NO ONE at my office has even mentioned it - it's like politics doesn't exist, which is a bit of a change from the day BEFORE the election. Apparently we're all just holding our breath, waiting to see which way to run.

And mostly the news outlets aren't talking about who won, but rather the discrepancy between poll numbers and actual outcome. I'm sure that'll change soon.

As for me, I'm still in neutral, but my gears keep stripping. I can't really believe it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. Trouble is, my mind isn't really open about Trump. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he takes an action, but I don't expect to be pleased.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you older than I am- What was the general consensus when Ronald Reagan was elected?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
For those of you older than I am- What was the general consensus when Ronald Reagan was elected?
It varied. Which, of course, is also the case now that Trump's been elected.

Out of curiosity (of a rather morbid sort): what kind of candidate are the Republicans going to come up with next?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It varied. Which, of course, is also the case now that Trump's been elected.

Out of curiosity (of a rather morbid sort): what kind of candidate are the Republicans going to come up with next?
Probably David Duke.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people haven't been sleeping well recently.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Found this yesterday. British satirist who plays a news reporter (talking to his producer Tim) that in this video throws a fit after Trump got elected. Blaming liberals and generally the culture of throwing around labels instead of engaging with them on issues. It's very true IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm also hopeful that when all the angry bigots who elected Trump realize he can't make good on his campaign promises, they come out in droves in 2018 and put Democrats back in charge of Congress.
Voters want change, any change. If the Dems can find one who promises that. Maybe. Clinton surely wasn't the one. That's why she lost to Obama in 2008.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Sanders promised change, but, as your satirist suggested, that's politically incorrect, so the Democrats opted for Clinton.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Found this yesterday. British satirist who plays a news reporter (talking to his producer Tim) that in this video throws a fit after Trump got elected. Blaming liberals and generally the culture of throwing around labels instead of engaging with them on issues. It's very true IMO.

Voters want change, any change. If the Dems can find one who promises that. Maybe. Clinton surely wasn't the one. That's why she lost to Obama in 2008.
Well it is true in a way, but some crucial points are missing. The assumption that honest discussion would open people's eyes to what they don't want to see is not based on fact. The label and insult method certainly doesn't work, but it is more a symptom than a cause. The average voter is too mentally lazy to deserve the right to vote. If honest discussion were to work the people engaged in it can't be mentally lazy and on the other hand if they weren't mentally lazy the labels, insults and lack of discussion wouldn't be a problem in the first place. This is like saying that if people were healthy, they wouldn't be sick.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Sanders promised change, but, as your satirist suggested, that's politically incorrect, so the Democrats opted for Clinton.
Think that the fact that Sanders wasn't in the Cool Dem Club had more to do with it.

Everyone knows it's important to keep the power confined to as few people as possible.

Much easier to keep track of all the bribes and favors too.

EDIT:
Hell, I see that apparently a lot of Americans want Michelle Obama to run in 2020. Are you trying to become a monarchy? Because putting the same family in power over and over again is how you get a monarchy (or whatever it's called when one family runs a country instead of one specific king/queen).

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"

Last edited by DahLliA; 11-13-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
Think that the fact that Sanders wasn't in the Cool Dem Club had more to do with it.
Somebody thought that Hillary was cool?

Quote:
Hell, I see that apparently a lot of Americans want Michelle Obama to run in 2020. Are you trying to become a monarchy? Because putting the same family in power over and over again is how you get a monarchy (or whatever it's called when one family runs a country instead of one specific king/queen).
I think that is more based on name recognition together with lack of imagination. Which then results in a nomocracy, if I remember correctly. Which I don't; that's actually a system based on the rule of law. So my next attempt is onomacracy, which at least has the advantage that no one else ever has thought of it.