art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
A lie will remain a lie no matter who speaks it or why.
A lie is an intentionally false statement.

As with other conversations you've had, you seem to not understand that intention matters. If I make an untrue claim that I believe, then I am not lying. I am merely wrong or mistaken.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
A lie will remain a lie no matter who speaks it or why.
How lovely. An argument over semantics. In English, no less, of course. The irony.

But the real problem is that you are all using words, which are arbitrary constructs used to transmit meaning, imperfectly. Therein lies the problem with semantics. You can never truly win or lose. The question is, then, what are you gaining by entering into the argument in the first place?
Old 12-28-2016, 03:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoto View Post
The question is, then, what are you gaining by entering into the argument in the first place?
Obviously, if he answered, then whatever he said would be a lie.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
A lie is an intentionally false statement.

As with other conversations you've had, you seem to not understand that intention matters. If I make an untrue claim that I believe, then I am not lying. I am merely wrong or mistaken.
I was just going to chalk it up to "English not being his native language" and let it go. But that is the correct definition and the one he seems to be overlooking.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe "untruth" and "lie" are the same word in Finnish.
What words you have or not have for concepts influences how you think about them, after all.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Interesting idea, but I'd argue that "untruth" is a bad word here, as well. There are two separate ideas at play. One is the dichotomy between truths and lies, and the other is fact and fiction. The difference between truth and lies is one of intent and not substance; anything can be a truth, and anything a lie, based on the perspective of the speaker. A fact is always a fact, and a fiction always a fiction. I suppose that brings up a question of the extent of our knowledge, but I think that there are certain first principles to which we can hold.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Did this discussion arise because we're unclear if Trump is a pathological liar (says things he knows aren't true) or a pathological bullshitter (says things with no knowledge of or regard for truth)?

Or are y'all just letting Naz further hijack the thread?

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 12-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Did this discussion arise because we're unclear if Trump is a pathological liar (says things he knows aren't true) or a pathological bullshitter (says things with no knowledge of or regard for truth)?

Or are y'all just letting Naz further hijack the thread?
I'll go with both, depending on the situation.

Considering half the time he contradicts his own statements. The other half makes you wonder how he ever graduated high school.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
I'll go with both, depending on the situation.

Considering half the time he contradicts his own statements. The other half makes you wonder how he ever graduated high school.
I assume his daddy paid for his grades ala Billy Madison...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

This might get interesting...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38463025
Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

http://lithub.com/erroll-morris-on-t...&ICID=ref_fark

Shot in the dark here, Trump has never actually seen Citizen Kane and literally googled "Best movie of all time" to get an answer for what his favorite movie is.

Or...he has the mental capacity and understanding of a 3 year old child when watching movies.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Look on the bright side: we can start betting on how many times he'll get divorced and remarried while in office.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Look on the bright side: we can start betting on how many times he'll get divorced and remarried while in office.
Given that his "wife" is staying in NY and his "First Lady" Ivanka will be in DC to satisfy his needs, I dont see any more divorces/remarriages.

At least until we take those incest laws off the books.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

Shot in the dark here, Trump has never actually seen Citizen Kane and literally googled "Best movie of all time" to get an answer for what his favorite movie is.

Or...he has the mental capacity and understanding of a 3 year old child when watching movies.
That article said some profoundly unsettling things. I do like the concept of irony-deficit disorder. It seems to suit rather well.

I was oddly reminded of something Jane Austen said of one of her characters in her unfinished novel Sanditon. That he read all the papers of the day and took from them only the hard words without any of the hard meanings, that he read the cautionary novels and misunderstood them completely, rooting for the villains who he saw as the thwarted hero of the piece.

I find myself looking at my posts and making sure I use fairly generic identifiers, because he wants to sue everyone who makes fun of him.

Gah.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 12-31-2016, 03:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
I find myself looking at my posts and making sure I use fairly generic identifiers, because he wants to sue everyone who makes fun of him.
Seeing as how you're living in Kenya, that probably isn't a serious danger for you.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this was a probing, or a threat, or both...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38479179

Quote:
An electrical company in the US state of Vermont says it has found malware code allegedly used by Russian hackers on one of its company laptops.
The Burlington Electric Department said it had taken "immediate action to isolate" the computer, which was not connected to the electrical grid.
The government alerted them to the "Grizzly Steppe" code on Thursday.
The same day, the US expelled 35 Russian diplomats over alleged Russian interference in November's election.
This incursion seemingly preceded the expulsion of the diplomats, so not meant as a response, which in some ways makes this even more alarming, especially considering this...

Quote:
US officials believe Russia was behind the hacking of Ukraine's electrical grid in December 2015, which plunged parts of the country into darkness and left about 225,000 people without power.
Experts said it was the first known power outage caused by a cyber attack.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Joke's on them, Burlington's power grid is basically self-contained to just the city while the rest of the state gets the huge majority of its power from Hydro Quebec.

Still, its unnerving that Russia has realized that VT is the lynchpin to American defenses.

How did the secret get out????

Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

He's also claimed that All Quiet on the Western Front is the book he's currently reading for like the past 10 years.

May be he doesn't consume much media.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Trump and irony makes me think of Baldrick's (Blackadder) definition of irony.

"It's like goldy and bronzy, just made with iron"
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Ancient

This may just be his way of attempting to distract from his potential corruption trial, but Netanyahu seemingly wants to ignite another intifada.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38512699
Closed Thread