art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, he just considers Palestinians to be Untermenschen. If it weren't politically incorrect to put it in those terms then I'm sure he would say it too.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

RIP America won't be due to Donald Trump, but will be the result of racist (actual racist) thugs who put into action what much of the Left feels, which is that Trump supporters or white people in general need to be punished. It's sickening that these barbarians, who deserve nothing short of death, are not being smeared across liberal news networks as being racists out to destroy whites.

There have been many less violent crimes committed by whites on blacks that have gotten more attention than this, and it's sick. The Left will destroy this nation before Trump even has the opportunity to do anything wrong.

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...as-much-worse/
Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

http://www.wsj.com/articles/lawmaker...nce-1483554450

Trump looking to reorganize the US intelligence apparatus so that it shows more loyalty to him personally than to accuracy or to country.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
RIP America won't be due to Donald Trump, but will be the result of racist (actual racist) thugs who put into action what much of the Left feels, which is that Trump supporters or white people in general need to be punished. It's sickening that these barbarians, who deserve nothing short of death, are not being smeared across liberal news networks as being racists out to destroy whites.

There have been many less violent crimes committed by whites on blacks that have gotten more attention than this, and it's sick. The Left will destroy this nation before Trump even has the opportunity to do anything wrong.

Good point. It won't be the sweeping, orchestrated effort to undermine the rule of law, completely ignore vast and compelling conflicts of interest, erode faith in a free press and fair elections, curtail civil liberties, demolish the apolitical apparatus of the civil service, and create a cult of personality that undo the United States, it will be these isolated incidents of racially driven violence where the perpetrators are identified, arrested, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and punished.

Thanks for contributing. Gold star for you.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin

Last edited by StrangePackage; 01-05-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:

So racism against whites will result in the ultimate destruction of the Earth (probably the universe, if I understand your logic) but like, racism against anyone else is, like, whatever or something?

Cool
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Aside from the fact that every "liberal" news outlet I follow has covered and condemned this attack, did you perhaps also notice that the perpetrators were caught and are being charged with a hate crime as well?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Why do we respond to someone who cites fake news as a valid source? I no longer do that.

And that applies to the fake news junkies on the left, too.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Why do we respond to someone who cites fake news as a valid source? I no longer do that.

And that applies to the fake news junkies on the left, too.
It's not like it's responding back... and for good reason.

Surely you wouldn't begrudge us an outlet for some frustration in these troubling times?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Why do we respond to someone who cites fake news as a valid source?
Because it is people like that, not people who actually are sane enough to pay attention to reality, who have the power to start nuclear wars now?

Ignoring the lies hasn't worked at all. As StrangePackage pointed out implicitly, Southpaw told lies by selectively leaving out parts of the truth. If the truth does not matter any more, then all that is left is raw violence. Is it time for "Second Amendment solutions", or can we try exposing the lies for a little while longer?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Ancient

Judging from this week, the incoming GOP regime has a serious bone to pick with A) Ethics and B) Intelligence.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

"Ethics? We ain't got no ethics. We don't need no ethics. I don't have to show you any stinkin' ethics!"
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Judging from this week, the incoming GOP regime has a serious bone to pick with A) Ethics and B) Intelligence.
Its only natural...humans tend to fear the unknown and both of those concepts are completely unknown to the GOP.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...p_stop_it.html

This will be entertaining, so long as you force yourself to forget that the end result of the GOP's flailing will be millions uninsured. It's kind of hard to believe how dumb these morons are.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

They'll repeal it and ensure it goes into effect in 2020...but they'll immediately blame Obama and the Democrats for why they had to do so...and they'll also use it as an excuse to gut/privatize SS and Medicare/Medicaid ("We'd love to keep it but Obamacare bankrupted both...sorry")

And the idiot rubes will eat it up and blame Obama.

No matter what...because people are stupid, incredibly incredibly stupid.

Oh, and the GOP isn't dumb, they know EXACTLY what they're doing. They simply dont care.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
They'll repeal it and ensure it goes into effect in 2020...but they'll immediately blame Obama and the Democrats for why they had to do so...and they'll also use it as an excuse to gut/privatize SS and Medicare/Medicaid ("We'd love to keep it but Obamacare bankrupted both...sorry")

And the idiot rubes will eat it up and blame Obama.

No matter what...because people are stupid, incredibly incredibly stupid.

Oh, and the GOP isn't dumb, they know EXACTLY what they're doing. They simply dont care.
This isn't a very sound strategy, though. "Blame it on Obama" works while Obama is in power. Once he's gone, and there's no convenient Dem majority in the Senate or the Congress to blame, it gets harder to "blame it on the Democrats".

I mean, sure, they could come up with some complicated story about how they were forced to repeal a terrible plan, didn't have to time to come up with a replacement, yadda yadda.

In contrast, the Dems will have a simple story. The Republicans ruled all three branches of government, and they fucked up.

Yes, people are stupid. But they aren't relentlessly stupid in one direction. It worked so far because Obama made a convenient scapegoat on top. The Republicans had a simple story to tell, and it sold. Now they're governing, and there's no simple stories to be had. Hopefully, the Dems will be ready to capitalize. The ethics thing was certainly a great start.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
This isn't a very sound strategy, though. "Blame it on Obama" works while Obama is in power. Once he's gone, and there's no convenient Dem majority in the Senate or the Congress to blame, it gets harder to "blame it on the Democrats".

I mean, sure, they could come up with some complicated story about how they were forced to repeal a terrible plan, didn't have to time to come up with a replacement, yadda yadda.

In contrast, the Dems will have a simple story. The Republicans ruled all three branches of government, and they fucked up.

Yes, people are stupid. But they aren't relentlessly stupid in one direction. It worked so far because Obama made a convenient scapegoat on top. The Republicans had a simple story to tell, and it sold. Now they're governing, and there's no simple stories to be had. Hopefully, the Dems will be ready to capitalize. The ethics thing was certainly a great start.
There is also the issue of the insurance lobby. I doubt that they will be quite willing to simply abandon this windfall. Certainly the plan seemed intent on ensuring that they, the insurance industry, would have a vested interest in its maintenance, and would seek to impede any real attempt to repeal it. They'll make changes, but no one wants to throw millions of uninsured immediately out of coverage. Reining in costs still seems the greater, or more difficult issue.

We tend to focus on these more obvious issues, like the ACA, the Wall, and Roe, but I still think we should worry about Trump eventually trying to do something like this...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38526545

We might think that freedom of speech should protect against anything like this happening here, but with the Republicans controlling Congress, the Presidency, and the Court, the constitution is essentially what the 5 (once they appoint the 5th) republicans on the court say it is. We've already seen how radically they have been willing to reinterpret the 2nd...

Last edited by Kimon; 01-06-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post

Did you sleep through the last election...facts dont matter anymore.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Did you sleep through the last election...facts dont matter anymore.
Who said its about facts? I'm talking about simple stories and convenient scapegoats, not facts!

Look at North Carolina and HB2. "Facts" didn't win the day. But an economic disaster is an economic disaster. And McRory, lost, though he's doing everything he can to make that not matter as much.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Ancient

For a while there, I was pretty anxious about the notion that the country was to be delivered into the hands of a ignorant, thumb-dicked, bigoted blowhard with no governing experience whatsoever. Then I read the Office of the DNI's declassified report. It was reassuring to know that we'd been delivered into the hands of a seasoned KGB operative with loads of governmental experience.

Closed Thread