art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:13 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

It seems Trump's rules in life is a lot like The Ferengi's Rules of Aquisition.

Just replace "Ferengi" with "Trump" and replace "Latinum" with "gold/Money".

I'd say 80-90% of the rules match up.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

This open war with the intelligence apparatus is going to end poorly for all involved.

"You're fired" might be a good tagline for a dumb faux reality TV show, but you cant fire your way to the best yes man and expect to keep our country safe.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
This open war with the intelligence apparatus is going to end poorly for all involved.

"You're fired" might be a good tagline for a dumb faux reality TV show, but you cant fire your way to the best yes man and expect to keep our country safe.
Then again, it would be a really interesting experiment if he simply fired the entire intelligence apparatus. Who knows? Maybe it would turn out that countries can do quite well without. Wouldn't that be nice to know?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Then again, it would be a really interesting experiment if he simply fired the entire intelligence apparatus. Who knows? Maybe it would turn out that countries can do quite well without. Wouldn't that be nice to know?

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Gonzo's as serious as Southpaw's a kind caring individual that has his fellow man's best interests at heart.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that Trump would actually do it. On the other hand, I also don't think that there is much proof that secret services do more good than bad overall. So if he surprises me and abolishes the CIA, that wouldn't particularly disappoint me.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think that Trump would actually do it. On the other hand, I also don't think that there is much proof that secret services do more good than bad overall. So if he surprises me and abolishes the CIA, that wouldn't particularly disappoint me.
The argument could be made that there is an element of redundancy and lack of clarity in the responsibilities of the cia and nsa, and that perhaps the two could be combined. The question of whether the creation, for instance, of homeland security helped bridge this issue, or merely further complicated and confused the matter falls somewhat under this purview. On the other hand, while the cia has had a checkered past in terms of paramilitary activities in the 3rd world, the idea that eliminating intel gathering could somehow be beneficial is insane. I'll assume that you were thus merely trolling.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Ancient

Let's make a list of things that Trump thought was terrible until 2015-2016.

I'll start: Manufacturing things in America.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
It seems Trump's rules in life is a lot like The Ferengi's Rules of Aquisition.

Just replace "Ferengi" with "Trump" and replace "Latinum" with "gold/Money".

I'd say 80-90% of the rules match up.
Bullshit, most Ferengi are accomplished successful businessmen. Even Rom was far better at his job and career than Trump ever has been.

Quark ran a very successful business and had his hand in various other ventures. The Grand Negus was also quite astute and ran a galactic trade federation quite well.

Even Brunt was very good at enforcing Ferengi business laws...much better than Trump is at following US laws at least.

And Nog was the first Ferengi officer in Star Fleet AND he managed to barter his way to helping Jake get that Willie Mays rookie card for Captain Sisko...in a very impressive series of deals to be honest.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 01-07-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Ancient

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdran.../#5d5dcb5c1240

Charles “Chuck” Johnson, a controversial blogger and conservative online personality, has been pushing for various political appointees to serve under Donald Trump, according to multiple sources close to the President-elect’s transition team. While Johnson does not have a formal position, FORBES has learned that he is working behind the scenes with members of the transition team’s executive committee, including billionaire Trump donor Peter Thiel, to recommend, vet and give something of a seal of approval to potential nominees from the so-called "alt-right."

Old 01-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Bullshit, most Ferengi are accomplished successful businessmen. Even Rom was far better at his job and career than Trump ever has been.

Quark ran a very successful business and had his hand in various other ventures. The Grand Negus was also quite astute and ran a galactic trade federation quite well.

Even Brunt was very good at enforcing Ferengi business laws...much better than Trump is at following US laws at least.

And Nog was the first Ferengi officer in Star Fleet AND he managed to barter his way to helping Jake get that Willie Mays rookie card for Captain Sisko...in a very impressive series of deals to be honest.

Dav...the simple answer is: "Now, now. Let's not be insulting to the Ferengi."
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

There's a fine line between the simple answer and the lazy answer.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
There's a fine line between the simple answer and the lazy answer.
I sort of doubt Trump would bother noticing fine lines.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I sort of doubt Trump would bother noticing fine lines.
Yeah, he seems more like a blurred lines type of guy...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Ancient

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...tism/96391920/

So we get a guy who believes vaccines cause autism to head the commission on vaccine safety?

Fewer vaccines and taking health care away from ~20 million people. Should be fun.

People who voted for this charlatan should be ashamed.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
People who voted for this charlatan should be ashamed.
If only they hadn't been vaccinated. They wouldn't have survived to make the mentally unbalanced decision to vote for this moron. Vaccines don't cause autism, but I'm afraid I'm going to blame them for saving these asswipes.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Ancient

Oh hey, this is neat: The four senior-most intelligence officers in the country have told Trump that Russian spies claim to have personal and financial information that will compromise the President-Elect.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politi...sia/index.html

And buried in the article is this little gem:

"The two-page synopsis also included allegations that there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government, according to two national security officials."

Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Apparently the rumor is he hired some prostitutes during his last trip to Moscow to perform a Golden shower party for him at the Ritz there.

I totally see this as possible.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Apparently the rumor is he hired some prostitutes during his last trip to Moscow to perform a Golden shower party for him at the Ritz there.

I totally see this as possible.
It would have to be something more serious than just that for anyone to care. Heck, I'd assume that prostitutes were just part of his complimentary room service as a gift from his Russian business associates and/or the FSB. Unless these hookers were boys, or he got really rough with them, that hardly seems something particularly embarrassing. I suppose if he had been given a selection of 10-14 year old girls though, or if one of them overdosed on heroin while with him...

This also likely has to include embarrassing business dealings - accepting and handing out bribes to (and from) shady individuals. I just don't see how this could realistically be much worse than what we already know. There is already a lot of sketchy shenanigans (like walking in on naked teen usa contestants), and corrupt business dealings a plenty (like his fake university and fake, slush-fund, charity). His voters just didn't care. Will they care if the FSB has video of him getting rough with some teenage Russian hookers?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

FWIW, its pretty standard for Russia to attempt to compromise US officials in such a fashion (using prostitutes, both male and female) to get a federal employee in a compromising situation while on travel there.

So it fits the MO at least. The honeypot/honey trap is a time-honored technique when it comes to intelligence gathering...one that they still use today on a very regular basis.

Here's a hypothetical situation to consider...a US employee with a high level clearance travels there to work at our embassy for a bit of time. He is lonely, he starts surfing the web for his favorite "movies"...suddenly there's a knock at the door and its the real-life version of what he was just checking out on the world wide web...does he invite it in? No, he's a good employee and a good American and declines the offer...goes back to surfing the web only to have another knock at the door 30 min later with a younger version of what he was "enjoying" online.

And so on and so forth. Sure, not everyone will fall for it but enough do to make it highly effective. Recruitment is exactly the same as dating...usually you only need 1 to say yes out of a crowd. Its pretty rare that you need to flip a specific person to get the access/info, etc that you need.

The techniques that they use are identical to dating...as long as you are a sociopath with no shame and don't care about what you need to do, say, think, act, etc to get the person to say "yes"...or whether or not you give a damn whether that yes is voluntary or involuntary. If you ever get to go through that training, its quite fascinating...there are all sorts of techniques on how to start a conversation, how to get information out of people, how to build a profile on them and how to get them over that initial barrel to where you have them.

So...it wouldn't shock me given what we know of his personality on whether or not he was dumb enough to do compromising things while on travel there as a private citizen and it would actually surprise me if their intelligence services didn't have a dossier on him from that time period given his stature/wealth, etc. At worst, its insurance on business deals...at best, we have our current potential situation.

Closed Thread