art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Yes, it absolutely is.
I'm not sure a Trump appointed SCOTUS would agree with you. And that is what is coming, so I guess we are likely to see whether my guess or yours is better.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
We obviously just won't see eye to eye on this one. I'm of the opinion that if you've already ceded your privacy here to verizon, at&t, facebook, etc, that you've ceded your privacy.
If you're not a virgin you just have to accept being raped.

I mean. You've already had sex right?

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
If you're not a virgin you just have to accept being raped.

I mean. You've already had sex right?
Grow up.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...&ICID=ref_fark

This is my shocked face....

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Is anyone else concerned that the DHS is continuing to insist it will enforce the entirety of the EO despite court orders halting multiple parts of it? One week, and the rule of law seems to be crumbling at the highest levels.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone need law when one already has orders?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Is anyone else concerned that the DHS is continuing to insist it will enforce the entirety of the EO despite court orders halting multiple parts of it? One week, and the rule of law seems to be crumbling at the highest levels.
I'm very concerned...but not surprised one bit.

I'm also happy I don't work at DHS anymore.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

It does illustrate just how amateurish this administration is. Whether that is due to Trump's own lack of experience and unwillingness to take advise or due to the ineptitude of his advisers, is still unclear. Certainly his advisers don't give the impression of having much expertise either in government, or in writing effective legislation. So it could be either, or a combination of the two. The same issue is at play with his executive order on the wall, as he can't finance that through a simple decree, and he didn't seem to demonstrate much awareness of that, nor much awareness of what the obvious reaction would be to a 20-30% tax on imports from Mexico. They don't seem to be bothering either with polling public opinion, or with planning for complications or minutiae of implementation. Nor even seemingly bothering to work on the language of these orders, let alone even talk much with republicans in congress about them.

It looks like this was perhaps just thought to have been intended as empty rhetoric, and a window-dressed extension of what Obama had done, not realizing how much more carefully his had been implemented.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38798588

Quote:
The restrictions were part of wide ranging immigration controls that also suspended refugee arrivals. It appears that existing restrictions in place during the Obama administration informed Mr Trump's list.
These countries were already named as "countries of concern" after a law passed by a Republican-led Congress in 2015 altered a visa admissions programme.
The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens from 38 countries to enter the US for 90 days without a visa. The UK, France and Germany are among those countries allowed in under the waiver programme. Visitors apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (Esta).
In December 2015 Congress passed a law - created by senators from both parties, and supported and signed by the White House - that removed waiver benefits for foreign nationals who had visited certain countries since March 2011. The countries were identified as having a terrorist organisation with a significant presence in the area, or the country was deemed a "safe haven" for terrorists.
Quote:
The Obama administration passed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 after the November 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris. The Act, however, unlike Trump's much more broad order, only affected people eligible for the visa waiver programme, rather than suspend all citizens' travel from one of those seven countries.
I think they may have just vastly underestimated the immediate mess that this would have created at airports, let alone underestimated how widespread the condemnation would be both domestic and international, considering how little there was to what Obama had done. Of course, Obama went to Congress, and made his much more narrow, so that if nothing else, the optics were much less draconian, and much less haphazard.

This does underscore the fine line between being horrified at how chaotic and incompetent this first week has been, and at least some optimism at seeing a potential light at the end of the tunnel - he seems far too incompetent to manage the sort of authoritarian consolidation that Erdogan and Putin have managed. Heck, his start has likely made republicans in congress wonder if they'll have to run someone against him themselves in four years.

Last edited by Kimon; 01-30-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hanlon's Law says never attribute to malice what can otherwise be attributed to incompetence, but this is making me nervous.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/tr...1d5#.v1z2oo922

Anyone got anything to refute this?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
Hanlon's Law says never attribute to malice what can otherwise be attributed to incompetence, but this is making me nervous.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/tr...1d5#.v1z2oo922

Anyone got anything to refute this?
Anyone? Because this makes me very nervous as well. And this weekend has clearly shown that, as Canadians, we are certainly not immune to the mess that is happening south of us.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

When Republics collapse, it tends to be pretty sudden...so it wouldn't shock me.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Anyone? Because this makes me very nervous as well. And this weekend has clearly shown that, as Canadians, we are certainly not immune to the mess that is happening south of us.
That utterly pissed me off...and made me depressed. Not as much as the US trying to claim it as a reason for why their Immigration ban was a good idea. Seems though that it was a local that did it...and, from what I read of an article, seems the guy was a Trump fan. Shocking. CBC had a follow up article that the vast majority of Canadian terrorism/mass shootings have been done by locals, not immigrants.

As for nerves, well, it's been like an hour or two, so I didn't expect an answer so soon...especially with the speed the boards move at these days.. That said, the source I got it from has put up a couple of articles.

Article 1 & Article 2

It is a bit far fetched...like Moriarty level intelligence or Spectre level plots, and there's a reason why I quoted Hanlan's Razor off the top. There's the the US Armed Forces that I would hope oppose any moves they'd make...but I'd still be happier if someone nailed his foot to the floor, and took away his Executive Order signing pen.

This was also shared and it seems to be relevant to things in general, if not to the specific article.

I also heard that "the Democrats will try to force a vote on the Muslim Ban tonight in the senate." Given the shock event, I'd almost wonder if Trump et al. would let it succeed to take everyone's edge off so they can slip through whatever it is the ban was supposed to distract people from.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 01-30-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Ancient

Well, we no longer have an attorney general (until the KKK guy is confirmed by the Senate). Trump just fired Sally Yates for refusing to carry out the executive order.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, we no longer have an attorney general (until the KKK guy is confirmed by the Senate). Trump just fired Sally Yates for refusing to carry out the executive order.
Good for Sally for standing up for the rule of law and our Constitution.

And fuck Trump in the ass with a switchblade for being the POS that he is.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

If any Dem Senator has even the slightest spine, they'd immediately filibuster all of Trump's remaining nominees and especially Jeff Sessions.

They won't, though because they're the party of cowards and spineless bastards.

Maybe Bernie will...he's not a Dem anyway and he's past the point of giving a damn about personal consequences.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Apparently the head of ICE just got fired too.

ICE is Immigration & Customs Enforcement for the non-Americans here...its our chief law enforcement agency for handling immigrants and the border security aspects of Homeland Security.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Ancient

Quote:
If any Dem Senator has even the slightest spine, they'd immediately filibuster all of Trump's remaining nominees and especially Jeff Sessions.

They won't, though because they're the party of cowards and spineless bastards.

Maybe Bernie will...he's not a Dem anyway and he's past the point of giving a damn about personal consequences.
This almost guarantees that they will filibuster Sessions.

Moreover, Trump just fired the acting director of immigration and customs enforcement, Daniel Ragsdale, as well. He really is making this almost laughable. Why do this before Sessions is in place? He had to know that all these holdovers would refuse to carry out this ridiculous order. And firing them only exacerbates his original mistake. Forget running someone against him, the republicans are probably trying to decide if they should consider impeaching him themselves, so that Pence can be president instead before he is too sullied himself.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

This isn't laughable, its terrifying.

This is literally a coup attempt.

You highly overestimate the GOP. Paul Ryan already came out supporting the Muslim ban.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Ancient

Quote:
This isn't laughable, its terrifying.

This is literally a coup attempt.

You highly overestimate the GOP. Paul Ryan already came out supporting the Muslim ban.
They're not all evil, and even some of the ones that are, aren't stupid.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
This almost guarantees that they will filibuster Sessions.

Moreover, Trump just fired the acting director of immigration and customs enforcement, Daniel Ragsdale, as well. He really is making this almost laughable. Why do this before Sessions is in place? He had to know that all these holdovers would refuse to carry out this ridiculous order. And firing them only exacerbates his original mistake. Forget running someone against him, the republicans are probably trying to decide if they should consider impeaching him themselves, so that Pence can be president instead before he is too sullied himself.
Funny story, DHS, CBP and ICE Legal counsel all told them the EO was illegal and they wouldn't defend it. I know some of those attorneys...they're all very good people and great at their jobs. And they're all probably looking at going into private practice soon now.

Idiotic and disgusting.

Closed Thread