art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Were these reputable articles, or of the Breitbart and InfoWars variety? If you're going to insinuate, at least provide a link. There is clearly quite a bit of leaking, but the way you have phrased the above is suggestive, and trying to blame Obama and career intel and state department workers for this chaos not only obfuscates the true cause of this dysfunction, but also overlooks where much of this leaking is actually coming from, i.e. internal, and why it is occurring.

The problem here, regardless of the attempted distraction, is not the leaks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.45b173daff6b

This is the problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/u...ons-trump.html

These connections to Russia are disturbing. Manafort and Flynn are both now gone, but it is unlikely that the rot does not go deeper. It is unfortunately impossible to trust Chaffetz to do anything meaningful to investigate this.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-michael-flynn

That's one of the articles I read today. It's an opinion column that quotes the guy who has the theory I was talking about. I was merely summarizing what I remembered. By all means, Kimon, punch the wall. I'm certainly not standing in your way.

Ties with Russia or not, I have no problem with the entire inner circle being mired in scandal until they all resign, including Trump.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Anyone know anything about rumors that Kellyanne Conway is on the way out?
As to that: has anyone actually informed Trump that in this program, he does not have to fire a candidate in each episode?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukoto View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-michael-flynn

That's one of the articles I read today. It's an opinion column that quotes the guy who has the theory I was talking about. I was merely summarizing what I remembered. By all means, Kimon, punch the wall. I'm certainly not standing in your way.

Ties with Russia or not, I have no problem with the entire inner circle being mired in scandal until they all resign, including Trump.
Mea culpa
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Considering the unlikelihood of him actually facing criminal repercussions (he likely violated the Logan Act, but proving that would be difficult), but that still leaves the question of how he managed to maintain a security clearance, and how difficult is it to lose one even in cases where there was a clear enough concern that the transitionary justice department had declared him a security concern.

Jokes aside, how much should we worry about him returning to Russia for employment, and being debriefed by the KSB?
Not really...he's a high level political appointee (at least he was). EO 12968 really only applies to the peons. Given that the authority to grant or deny a clearance ultimately lies with POTUS, all he had to do was say "I want him as NSA" and it was a fait accompli. Justice will lodge its concerns like it did but they still have to grant access.

Its a bit of a messed up system but that's how it works. For example, when I grant a clearance or deny one, I'm basically doing it in the President's name. He has delegated that authority down to my Dept head who has delegated it down further and so on and so forth. There's a special review process for political appointees but all it really is is a CYA for us to say "Hey, we warned you, so don't blame us after the fact". Justice did this with Flynn and now it leaked all of a month later...what a shock.

He's human garbage like most of Trump's inner circle and this scandal (which is a million times worse than anything Obama ever did BTW) will only get worse as more shoes drop in the next few weeks.

Maybe Congress should do another Benghazi investigation though or look at Clinton's email server again. Those were the REAL scandals, right?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Maybe Congress should do another Benghazi investigation though or look at Clinton's email server again. Those were the REAL scandals, right?
Maybe. Then again, Planned Parenthood is still around too, isn't it?
And they haven't paid much attention to ACLU yet, either.

It is all a matter of priorities, and those elected to represent you may have a better idea of what is important than you have.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Not really...he's a high level political appointee (at least he was). EO 12968 really only applies to the peons. Given that the authority to grant or deny a clearance ultimately lies with POTUS, all he had to do was say "I want him as NSA" and it was a fait accompli. Justice will lodge its concerns like it did but they still have to grant access.
What about this guy?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

The Trump administration seems to have decided that they want to move the conversation away from Flynn and their collusion with Russia, and being perhaps anxious that the only thing that would have otherwise been added to the discourse was the withdrawal from consideration of yet another schmuck from their administration (Puzder withdrew his name from consideration for Labor), have thus decided to add a few new terrifying examples of their insane incompetency for us to ruminate...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38984947

Quote:
General James Mattis, the former Nato insider, has delivered a thunderbolt aimed at the complacency of many of Washington's European allies.
He has put them on notice. No longer will the US taxpayer bear a disproportionate share of the defence burden. If the Europeans do not dig more deeply into their pockets then the Trump administration "will moderate its commitment" to Nato.
And since that probably isn't scary enough...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38987028

Quote:
"So I'm looking at two states and one state," said Mr Trump. "And I like the one that both parties like. I'm very happy with the one that both parties like.
"I can live with either one. I thought for a while that two states looked like it may be the easier of the two.
"To be honest, if Bibi [Mr Netanyahu] and the Palestinians, if Israel and the Palestinians are happy - I'm happy with the one they like the best."
Yeah, about that...

Quote:
"There are two prerequisites for peace," said the Israeli prime minister. "First the Palestinians must recognise the Jewish state.
"Second, in any peace agreement, Israel must retain the overriding security control over the entire area west of the Jordan River."
i.e. - we now agree that Palestine should never have it's own independent state.

And, just in case that all wasn't crazy enough, let's make sure that crazy people can still get guns...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38986147

Quote:
An Obama-era regulation that tightened gun checks on mentally-ill buyers has been blocked by the US Senate and could be signed into law by the White House.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:

Might actually be a pretty clever troll for a Democrat to suggest as much.

I mean, if you're GOP leadership, what do you do when some Democrat starts screaming for another Benghazi investigation? They'll get a ton of press for it, but you kind of have to respond to it. What do you say? It turns the whole thing into an even more obvious farce, and no one can fail to see the irony if someone insists on ignoring anything to do with the current administration, positive or negative, to focus on a completely irrelevant and obvious fabricated scandal from years ago.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
What about this guy?
Trump could overrule them if he really wanted to...he'd be an idiot and it'd just lead to more issues but he could do it.

Its not super easy to get SCI access...the requirements are pretty strict to say the least given that its essentially the holy grail of clearances (well, the start of it anyway)

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...pended-n721481

Flynn's clearance officially suspended pending revocation. They almost certainly sent him a letter explaining why it has been suspended and he now has 30 days to respond (if he chooses to) prior to making that suspension a final revocation. Once revoked, he can still appeal that but those decisions are almost never overturned...I cannot recall one being overturned in this sort of scenario (lying about foreign contacts in the intelligence world).

Zero chance he retains it though...so there's that at least.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Ancient

Harward turned down the Natl Security Advisor position.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39000389

Quote:
Retired Vice-Admiral Robert Harward was widely tipped for the post after Mr Trump fired Michael Flynn on Monday.
A White House official said Mr Harward cited family and financial commitments, but US media said the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own team.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Harward turned down the Natl Security Advisor position.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39000389
Nobody ever said that Navy Seals were stupid...smart of him to avoid the train wreck.

Best parts of why he declined: He was told he couldn't bring on his own staff...and he "didn't want to be involved in Trump's shit sandwich".

LOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited by Davian93; 02-17-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Nobody ever said that Navy Seals were stupid...smart of him to avoid the train wreck.

Best parts of why he declined: He was told he couldn't bring on his own staff...and he "didn't want to be involved in Trump's shit sandwich".

LOLOLOLOLOL
Petraeus turned it down also. Sounds like both he and Harward were concerned especially about Trump's insistence that they keep the FoxNews analyst that became Flynn's deputy, KT McFarland. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump doesn't eventually just give her the job, but the other name that seems to be popping up now is Bolton.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...e-flynn-report
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Ancient

I can sort of get the unwillingness of many Americans to still deny climate science (nevermind the fact that it is 70 today in Chicago, was nearly as warm yesterday, will be similarly summerlike for the rest of this week, and we've basically not had a winter at all this year), but flat earthers?

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017...ing-flat-earth

In Draymond's defense, he did go to MSU, so obviously never had a proper education, but still...
Old 02-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I can sort of get the unwillingness of many Americans to still deny climate science (nevermind the fact that it is 70 today in Chicago, was nearly as warm yesterday, will be similarly summerlike for the rest of this week, and we've basically not had a winter at all this year), but flat earthers?

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017...ing-flat-earth

In Draymond's defense, he did go to MSU, so obviously never had a proper education, but still...
Its been low to mid 70s all week for me...I LIVE IN DENVER!!!

This is not normal or good.

Oh and Arctic sea ice is at the lowest its ever been in recorded history for this point in February. Its only going to get worse.

In Kyrie's defense, he's an uneducated idiot whose entire life has focused around getting a round ball into a basket...why anyone would listen to him on anything is beyond me. Pretty good NBAer though.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Its been low to mid 70s all week for me...I LIVE IN DENVER!!!

This is not normal or good.

Oh and Arctic sea ice is at the lowest its ever been in recorded history for this point in February. Its only going to get worse.
http://abc7chicago.com/weather/weeke...temps/1761204/

Quote:
The warm weather is expected to continue on Sunday, which is expected to see highs in the 60s, except by the lake will be cooler and in the 40s. Monday will also be warmer. If the forecast holds, Chicago could tie a record set in 1976 by having four consecutive 60 degree days in February.

Saturday is also the 63rd day in a row without an inch of snow, one day short of the winter record of 64 set twice in the winters of 1953-54 and 1905-6 and with no snow in the forecast for the next several days, the snowless stretch could reach 70 days.
Thursday is supposed to have a high of 55, but if the forecast holds until then, we should shatter that consecutive days over 60 record. It's supposed to be a high of 35 on Saturday, but currently no forecast for snow that day, and then it's calling for a return to the mid 40s after that, so that snowless stretch should also be shattered.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

We got some snow here last week, 3-4 inches, but it all melted I think 2 days later. That was the first snow we had gotten since December. Marie was excited about the warm weather and she grilled a bunch of stuff today. I think she's grilling again tomorrow...
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Been in the 40s-50s or so the last couple of weeks. Though, it did finally melt the snow and ice we got back right after New Years Day.

Prior, it was, tops, in the teens.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Prior, it was, tops, in the teens.
Same around here. Mind you, we use a proper temperature scale.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Same around here. Mind you, we use a proper temperature scale.
Pfft! Our temperature scale is more proper than yours!
Closed Thread